Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Fredly things that you think aren't?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Fredly things that you think aren't?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-15, 03:46 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Shared by QBP on facebook today - Bike hand signals are confusing, here's a better, simpler solution
Old 05-04-15, 04:24 PM
SpeshulEd 

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
I was totally looking for this article last week but couldn't find it. Someone had posted it on FB, but couldn't remember when they did and couldn't find it on their feed.

Old 05-04-15, 08:09 PM
bmthom.gis

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon 4 Rival; 2014 Cannondale Trail 7 29; 1972 Schwinn Suburban, 1996 Proflex 756, 1987(?) Peugeot, Dahon Speed P8; 1979 Raleigh Competition GS; 1995 Stumpjumper M2 FS, 1978 Raleigh Sports, Schwinn Prologue

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
To me being "Fredly" is taking road cycling too seriously and following the velominati rules. Couple that with absolutely zero knowledge in how to maintain your bike(s) and you have a Fred.
Old 05-04-15, 08:14 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by bmthom.gis
To me being "Fredly" is taking road cycling too seriously and following the velominati rules. Couple that with absolutely zero knowledge in how to maintain your bike(s) and you have a Fred.
That sounds more like a poseur to me.
Old 05-04-15, 08:39 PM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1592 Post(s)
Liked 1,024 Times in 575 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
This almost makes me want to use a hand signal the next time I'm in a car and at an intersection within eyesight of a cop - $5 says I get pulled over for not signaling my turn.
It would be the first time I've ever heard of a cop citing someone for not signalling. Around here you might guess signalling was against the law, as infrequently as it is practiced.
Old 05-04-15, 08:39 PM
k_kibbler

Bikes: Canyon Ultimate CF SL

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I respectfully disagree. The canonical Fred is someone who has neither regard for The Rules nor convention and kit out their bikes and themselves according to their own whims and needs. I'd bet Freds do more of their own maintenance than Poseurs, even if it is to put bar ends on their upside-down drops and turn signals on their panniers. I respect Freds and their free-spirited ways.

Poseurs send their Dogmas to "bike spas" when they get dirty and to the LBS to fix flats.

EDIT: No offence to Dogmas but they are among the more common of Poseurs' bikes, it seems.

Last edited by k_kibbler; 05-04-15 at 08:43 PM.
Old 05-05-15, 05:36 AM
bmthom.gis

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon 4 Rival; 2014 Cannondale Trail 7 29; 1972 Schwinn Suburban, 1996 Proflex 756, 1987(?) Peugeot, Dahon Speed P8; 1979 Raleigh Competition GS; 1995 Stumpjumper M2 FS, 1978 Raleigh Sports, Schwinn Prologue

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by k_kibbler
I respectfully disagree. The canonical Fred is someone who has neither regard for The Rules nor convention and kit out their bikes and themselves according to their own whims and needs. I'd bet Freds do more of their own maintenance than Poseurs, even if it is to put bar ends on their upside-down drops and turn signals on their panniers. I respect Freds and their free-spirited ways.

Poseurs send their Dogmas to "bike spas" when they get dirty and to the LBS to fix flats.

EDIT: No offence to Dogmas but they are among the more common of Poseurs' bikes, it seems.
That sounds a lot more like a lone wolf. Freds have super expensive bikes and equipment(think team issue bikes amd team kit with the most expensive Garmin amd powertap) ride in fair weather only. They want to look like the pros but their abilities will never catch up to their bikes. The typical Fred can't even fix a flat or doesn't carry a pump

The weekend warrior, the wobbly legged that hibernate from fall until spring. The rider who thinks DI2 will make him faster than the person who is using 105, but it doesn't.

Last edited by bmthom.gis; 05-05-15 at 05:47 AM.
Old 05-05-15, 10:14 AM
redlude97

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1975 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 173 Posts
That sounds a lot more like a lone wolf. Freds have super expensive bikes and equipment(think team issue bikes amd team kit with the most expensive Garmin amd powertap) ride in fair weather only. They want to look like the pros but their abilities will never catch up to their bikes. The typical Fred can't even fix a flat or doesn't carry a pump

The weekend warrior, the wobbly legged that hibernate from fall until spring. The rider who thinks DI2 will make him faster than the person who is using 105, but it doesn't.
your definition of a fred is unlike everyone elses then
Old 05-05-15, 11:13 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts

Nope, sorry. You're describing the Poseur, not the Fred.
Old 05-05-15, 11:17 AM
bmthom.gis

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by redlude97
your definition of a fred is unlike everyone elses then
" particularly in the US, a Fred is more often somebody with higher quality and more expensive cycling equipment than his or her talent and commitment would warrant. For example, a stereotypical Fred by this definition would be an individual with little cycling experience who watches the highlights of a few Tour de France stages, then goes to a bike store and purchases a Trek carbon fiber Madone in Team Discovery colors, along with Team Discovery shorts and jersey. Thus outfitted with equipment virtually identical to that which Lance Armstrong used, far more expensive than that used by many high-standard racing cyclists, and more costly than many automobiles, the “Fred” then uses his bicycle merely to ride on a cycling path at 15 mph (24 km/h), something which even the most casual untrained cyclist can manage on an inexpensive hybrid bicycle. Some use “Fred” in a somewhat similar matter, but more synonymous with a roadie poseur. However, a Fred isn’t necessarily someone who intentionally tries to put forth an image of being better or more knowledgeable than they are. Rather, a Fred is an inexperienced or unskilled cyclist who gets some top high-end or copy-cat racing gear for any reason. Unlike most poseurs, a Fred may still ride lacking some fundamental piece of competitive roadie equipment or style."

https://biskey7.wordpress.com/2011/04/02/bicycling-are-you-a-fred/

You're definitions are correct (if you read the link) but mine is too. The short of it is, if you have to ask, you are a Fred.
Old 05-05-15, 11:51 AM
SpeshulEd 

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I think the "chasing the Lance Armstrong dream" definition of Fred died when Lance became more of a punchline than world champion.

Most people I know would call that guy a poseur now, where a Fred would go back to the UK defnition:

In the UK, an early usage of the word is the more common—used by 'serious' roadies to refer to (often) bearded, sandal-wearing, touring cyclists without any high-tech gear.[SUP][citation needed][/SUP] This usage still survives in the US. David Bernstein, presenter of The FredCast says the term is "used by 'serious' roadies to disparage utility cyclists and touring riders, especially after these totally unfashionable 'freds' drop the 'serious' roadies on hills because the 'serious' guys were really posers."

Old 05-05-15, 12:42 PM
Red Tornado

Bikes: Colnago Master Olympic, Masi Gran Criterium, Diamondback Century

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My $0.02 on Fredliness....

NOT Fredly
Small saddlebag (sometimes jersey pocket really aren't enough)
Glasses/helmet-mounted mirror (if you're not a racer - safety first)
SPD pedals/shoes (some guys are cash-strapped or simply don't want extra "stuff")
Sleeveless jersey - provided it started life sleeveless (it gets hot in Texas) -- mountain bikers get bonus points for a SS jersey "converted" to sleeveless IMO
Glasses under the helmet straps
Unshaved legs
*Disclaimer:Not guilty of any of the above, but also don't look down my nose at those who are

Fredly
Large saddle bags (don't need to bring your entire tool kit with you)
Sleeveless jersey with arm warmers -- leaving top of shoulder to mid-bicep exposed to the wind/rain/cold (a major pet peeve for me personally - see triathletes do this a lot)
Saddle positioned way too low
Reflectors in the spokes
Tucking the jersey into shorts (might be OK during cold weather if a top layer covers the jersey & top part of shorts)
Baggy shorts on a road ride -unless you're a newbie, but a statute of limitation should still apply at some point
Front of helmet tipped way back, or helmet on backwards (a little tip back if worn over a cycling cap is OK)
Showing up for a road ride with a hybrid bike or mountain bike
Riders who make an effort to observe The Rules
Uptight, arrogant roadies -- you're not as cool as you think you are

That's all I can think of for now....
Old 05-05-15, 12:47 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Fred rode his bike around the world. Supposedly he was mistaken for the winner of an Italian race, the guy was just out riding his bike and passed everybody in the race.

A poseur is somebody on an expensive CF bike and Di2, sitting back with a latte and a cycling cap. A Fred is somebody out on the bike, not caring what anyone else thinks. Maybe a little goofy, but he's a strong rider.

The Smithsonian has an exhibit for Fred.

Fred Birchmore's Amazing Bicycle Trip Around the World | History | Smithsonian
Old 05-05-15, 01:08 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5227 Post(s)
Liked 3,598 Times in 2,352 Posts
Originally Posted by cellery
I think we should start rocking the safety flags.
don't mess with my flag :-)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
LeTour1_DSC_5693.jpg (90.9 KB, 10 views)
Old 05-05-15, 02:18 PM
redlude97

Originally Posted by Red Tornado

NOT Fredly
SPD pedals/shoes (some guys are cash-strapped or simply don't want extra "stuff")
Sleeveless jersey - provided it started life sleeveless (it gets hot in Texas) -- mountain bikers get bonus points for a SS jersey "converted" to sleeveless IMO
Unshaved legs
*Disclaimer:Not guilty of any of the above, but also don't look down my nose at those who are

Fredly
Sleeveless jersey with arm warmers -- leaving top of shoulder to mid-bicep exposed to the wind/rain/cold (a major pet peeve for me personally - see triathletes do this a lot)
Reflectors in the spokes
Tucking the jersey into shorts (might be OK during cold weather if a top layer covers the jersey & top part of shorts)
Baggy shorts on a road ride -unless you're a newbie, but a statute of limitation should still apply at some point
Front of helmet tipped way back, or helmet on backwards (a little tip back if worn over a cycling cap is OK)

sleeveless and mirrors are always fredly. If the tour guys can ride in qatar with sleeves, you better keep your tan lines sharp
Old 05-05-15, 02:53 PM
SpeshulEd 

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
hand signal spinoff topic...

Google patent reveals how driverless cars recognise hand signals | road.cc

Old 05-05-15, 03:02 PM
RPK79
Custom User Title

Bikes: Fuji Roubaix Pro & Quintana Roo Kilo

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2863 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by SpeshulEd
I don't know if I'm comfortable having lasers shot at me as I ride down the road.
Old 05-05-15, 03:19 PM
cthenn

Bikes: 2023 Canyon Aeoroad CF SL, 2015 Trek Emonda SLR, 2002 Litespeed Classic, 2005 Bianchi Pista, Some BikesDirect MTB I never ride.

Quoted: 648 Post(s)
Liked 138 Times in 90 Posts
Originally Posted by redlude97
sleeveless and mirrors are always fredly. If the tour guys can ride in qatar with sleeves, you better keep your tan lines sharp
Disagree. Leg tan line is macho, arm tan line is just fugly. I tan easily, and I'm sure not going to have a horrible farmers tan on my arms.
Old 05-05-15, 04:11 PM
f4rrest
Farmer tan

Bikes: Allez, SuperSix Evo

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 2870 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 23 Posts
I prize my farmers' tan. Once in Hawaii, local surfers gave it props.
Old 05-05-15, 04:21 PM
redlude97

Originally Posted by cthenn
Disagree. Leg tan line is macho, arm tan line is just fugly. I tan easily, and I'm sure not going to have a horrible farmers tan on my arms.
Its okay to embrace your inner fredliness.
Old 05-05-15, 04:21 PM
Willbird

Bikes: 2001 Trek Multitrack 7200, 2104 Fuji Sportif 1.5

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Red Tornado

NOT Fredly
Unshaved legs

Fredly
Reflectors in the spokes

I guess I did that, 75 mile ride, it did not specify "road ride"...but it was on roads, I finished the 75mi, and did not finish last either :-). Some folks rode part of the ride and bailed partway due to other commitments too, at that time it was the ONLY bicycle I had :-). Trek 7200 hybrid with 700x35 tires. I'm glad I did it :-).
Old 05-05-15, 04:35 PM
khuon
DEADBEEF

Location: Catching his breath alongside a road near Seattle, WA USA

Bikes: 1999 K2 OzM, 2001 Aegis Aro Svelte

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
don't mess with my flag :-)
I think you should make this totally functional and Fredly. My recommendation would be to replace the flagpole with a full-wave CB antenna on a spring mount, xcvr base-station on the trunk rack, panniers full of batteries and a long coil attached handheld mic clipped to the stem...
Old 05-05-15, 05:24 PM
Reynolds 
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaña pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 871 Post(s)
Liked 723 Times in 398 Posts
A Fred like this one can drop the all the poseurs. He's no Fred in my book.

Last edited by Reynolds; 05-05-15 at 05:34 PM.
Old 05-05-15, 05:29 PM
SpeshulEd 

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
100spf sunblock on the arms helps prevent the tan lines...of course, even after a full summer, they still happen.

Old 05-05-15, 05:32 PM
redlude97

Originally Posted by Willbird

I guess I did that, 75 mile ride, it did not specify "road ride"...but it was on roads, I finished the 75mi, and did not finish last either :-). Some folks rode part of the ride and bailed partway due to other commitments too, at that time it was the ONLY bicycle I had :-). Trek 7200 hybrid with 700x35 tires. I'm glad I did it :-).
We have local CX/mtb guys show up occasionally to the local crits with knobbies and just crush. Maybe its a PNW thing but those freds can be cool sometimes

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.