Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

2017 Inexpensive Tour Bike (and tour) Build contest!

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

2017 Inexpensive Tour Bike (and tour) Build contest!

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-17, 07:19 PM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,314 Times in 707 Posts
Bad news on the stash front.
I actually really dislike moustaches and was hoping I could pull it off until May but caved and shaved it off.

but I did take a picture before the defrocking

Old 04-02-17, 07:37 PM
Snuts
Mid Tour!

Bikes: Marin Muirwoods Racked out for this years Tour, Norco Indi 4 racked out from last years tour, Giant Defi II for week-end ripps.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Thank-you for the update.

But oh, I want to put a Captain Crunch hat on that !

Yours in touring,
-Snuts-
Old 04-03-17, 07:30 AM
jmeb

Bikes: 1966 Carlton, 197X MKM, 1983 Trek 620, 1988 Schwinn High Sierra, 1995 DBR Axis Ti, 1999 Waterford, 2016 DBR Release, 2017 Surly Travelers Check

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
I wish I was short because this bike is perfect for the thread. And at $200 still leaves room for racks, panniers, and fenders.

https://denver.craigslist.org/bik/5986900955.html
Old 04-04-17, 09:47 AM
69tr6r

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 2 Posts
I didn't know about this build contest, but I think I can qualify after the fact. I picked up this Shogun Selectra for $90 and it came with a Univega Custom Ten that I flipped the next day for $25, bringing my Shogun cost to $65.

I added a stem riser and had a set of old bars and mountain stem to bring the bars up higher. The frame is a little small for me. The bars needed spacers to fit the mountain stem I had. Total cost for the riser and spacers was about $30 with shipping. Old bars and stem, maybe value them at $40?

I bought new Conti Gatorskins, new tubes and new bar tape for a total of $70.

I already owned the frame bag, seat pouch and small pouch near the stem. Maybe they're worth $25?

I added my own saddle and seatpost that I had, maybe worth $50.

Used my mtb flat pedals, value them at $25.

So I'm about $300 all in total, on the left is the bike as purchased, on the right is on my "Tour". I took the bike on a 75 mile day trip from Stratford, CT to New York City. It was a blast!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
20170319_160820.jpg (47.0 KB, 275 views)
20170402_105659.jpg (44.8 KB, 276 views)
Old 04-24-17, 08:27 AM
gerryl

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 25 Posts
I like revisiting this thread every now and then, just to remind myself that you can build up a first class go anywhere in the world durable touring bike for only a few hundred dollars. No need to spend thousands of dollars on fluff.
Old 04-24-17, 08:49 AM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Gah, want to post mine so badly, but holding off til it is actually off the rack and on the road for at least a shakedown! Quite happy with how its turning out, and even though I may be approaching the price where I was probably smarter to buy new-used ready to roll, I am still well lower than the cost of my traveling buddy's new buy!

Two lessons learned, though:
1) Parts compatibility for 90s MTBs is finnicky, and bound to drive you insane if you are not innately familiar with how things work together!
2) You WILL have almost everything together and ready to roll, and that last part you go to put on won't fit, is broken in a way you didn't notice, etc., necessitating waiting around another week for a package cause no one stocks parts for 90s MTBs!
Old 04-24-17, 09:57 AM
Happy Feet

Or.. in my case have a friend who has been a mechanic in the same mom and pop store for over 30 years and has a stash of nearly every old part you can think of.

My favorite game is stump Dao.. but I haven't won yet!

One day I thought I had him with a siezed bb. But, just when I was about to be like: "that's ok you can't win em all" he grabbed the frame and socket and ran next door to the car tire store and used their impact wrench.
Old 05-06-17, 07:56 PM
zs3889

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
I'm hoping to get into bike touring this summer and have been looking for gears to setup my Specialized Rockhopper for touring.

I picked up an early Specialized Hardrock a couple months ago. I paid $100 for it and it came with a decent rear rack that can hold 25 lbs and fenders. The bike is in excellent shape - shifts and brakes well, and it rides like a dream.

I found some Axiom Champlain DLX panniers for $30 and an Arkel trunk bag for $20 two weeks ago. I think the Axiom panniers have a combined capacity of 60 L. I might ditch the trunk bag and just strap my tent and sleeping bag on the rear rack. I'm sure I can easily get $40 for the Arkel.

This morning, I went to a gear swap at a local bike shop and picked up a Blackburn Outpost frame bag for $10 and a Banjo Brothers waterproof handlebar bag for $1. Yeah, $11 for a frame bag and a handlebar bag! I think they retail for over $100. I'm super stoked about the frame bag because I've been eyeing the same bag for my bikepacking setup.

A couple more things I'd like to get for the bike - a trekking bar ($20 on Nashbar), some bar tape ($20+-), and maybe a threadless stem. Correct me if I'm wrong, it looks to me like the bike is currently equipped with a threadless adapter/stem riser type of thing. Pretty sure I can just install a threadless stem with some spacers.

Total comes to $141 (excluding the Arkel), plus $60 of potential upgrades!

Last edited by zs3889; 05-07-17 at 07:14 AM.
Old 05-07-17, 10:40 AM
gerryl

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 25 Posts
Wow, great find. It does look like it does have a threadless adapter. I see no reason to change it, unless of course you really need a new stem.

Originally Posted by zs3889
I'm hoping to get into bike touring this summer and have been looking for gears to setup my Specialized Rockhopper for touring.

I picked up an early Specialized Hardrock a couple months ago. I paid $100 for it and it came with a decent rear rack that can hold 25 lbs and fenders. The bike is in excellent shape - shifts and brakes well, and it rides like a dream.

I found some Axiom Champlain DLX panniers for $30 and an Arkel trunk bag for $20 two weeks ago. I think the Axiom panniers have a combined capacity of 60 L. I might ditch the trunk bag and just strap my tent and sleeping bag on the rear rack. I'm sure I can easily get $40 for the Arkel.

This morning, I went to a gear swap at a local bike shop and picked up a Blackburn Outpost frame bag for $10 and a Banjo Brothers waterproof handlebar bag for $1. Yeah, $11 for a frame bag and a handlebar bag! I think they retail for over $100. I'm super stoked about the frame bag because I've been eyeing the same bag for my bikepacking setup.

A couple more things I'd like to get for the bike - a trekking bar ($20 on Nashbar), some bar tape ($20+-), and maybe a threadless stem. Correct me if I'm wrong, it looks to me like the bike is currently equipped with a threadless adapter/stem riser type of thing. Pretty sure I can just install a threadless stem with some spacers.

Total comes to $141 (excluding the Arkel), plus $60 of potential upgrades!

Old 05-14-17, 08:38 PM
jefnvk

Mine is finally done, and has been out for a S24O outing, literally to Hell and back :

Forgot to put the ziptie in to hold the handlebar bag in place, before fix:

As you can see, one of the panniers broke, and had to be relocated:

Made it to the campsite:

On the way home:

Breakdown of the costs:
Bike: assuming a nominal $60 value as I already owned, but had plenty of similar options around that cost
Consumable items in stock (bearings, grease, bar tape, etc): $15

$146 for items to get it to a similar starting point as a Fuji, components that needed fixed:
Nashbar Trekking Hndlebar: $15
Shimano 7-spd Trigger shift/brake levers: $20
OEM Tektro V-Brakes: $6 (front and rear)
PC850 Sram Chain: $8
HG50 14-32 Casette: $21
Sugino Impel 42-34-24 Crank: $32
Axiom Journey rear rack: $31
Avocet Touring saddle: $10
Wellgo V8 copy pedals: $13

$21 for items that were fine, but I changed for my fitment (may or may not be needed for Fuji). Seperated because I was insistent on using this bike, not buying new:
Nashbar 130mm stem/threadless adapter: $21

$265 for items that the Fuji would have had changed out/added for my specific tour:
Continential Travel Contact tires: $43
Jandd low rider front rack: $32
Ortlieb rear panniers: $80
Blackburn handlebar bag (may be removed): $30
Front panniers: Free
SKS Bluemel Fenders: $32
Drybag: $35
Lights: $13

So, all in all, $242 for the bike/necessary repairs/fitment upgrades. An additional $265 for bags/racks/other goodies that the Fuji would also require, for a grand total of $507 as seen.

A bit more than the budget, but as it was really $432 out of my pocket, I don't think I did too bad. Could have ran with my original Nashbar rear panniers, but the Ortliebs were just too good to pass up.

Also, forgot, the $20 for the professional spray can clearcoat, because I plan on keeping this bike another 20 years. Count that how you will, if I were just using this on one or two tours, I'd have not bothered.

Last edited by jefnvk; 05-14-17 at 09:04 PM.
Old 05-14-17, 10:54 PM
Happy Feet

Looks good!
Old 05-15-17, 04:25 AM
Snuts
Mid Tour!

Bikes: Marin Muirwoods Racked out for this years Tour, Norco Indi 4 racked out from last years tour, Giant Defi II for week-end ripps.

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
How are you liking the trekking bars?

-Snuts-
Old 05-15-17, 07:55 AM
jefnvk

Originally Posted by Snuts
How are you liking the trekking bars?

-Snuts-
Only got about 120 miles on them, so the jury is still out.

To be honest, I don't find myself using the far forward positions that much, mostly just when I want to stretch out on descents. I REALLY like the side grips, I can hang out there for longer than any any position on any bike that I own. They seem to be the perfect width for my shoulders, but I suppose I could have also had that with flat bars and bar end grips. Need to get the bar tape on when I sort out the mirror situation, using the close in position sucks right now with the dropoff of the MTB grip to the hockey taped bar.

All in all, for $15, I think they are quite a suitable solution though.
Old 05-15-17, 08:05 AM
Snuts
Mid Tour!

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Bar Tape

I found a piece of plastic that made it easy to through bolt a Mircycle mirror on my bars. Exceptionally happy (including several fall-overs onto it!). I layered up some old bar tape to build some thickness. Soon time to wrap again, getting scrapped up from leaning against brick storefronts, etc. I think I will simply wrap over this set-up, try it. I can always take it off and re-do.
Edit:
I find myself left hand in the top outside corner, right hand on the grip shifting/brakes about 1/2 the day.

-Snuts-
Attached Images
DSCN0337.jpg (97.2 KB, 182 views)
DSCN0273.jpg (96.8 KB, 181 views)
Old 05-15-17, 08:15 AM
jefnvk

I'm hoping I can just find a long enough bolt to continue extending the length of my Mircycle right now, I'm just at the upper limit of what the hardware store stocked. I've added some plastic spacers to lengthen it and keep it mounted in its original position, if I can get an extra inch to inch and a half from where I am now, it should work.

If not, I think I'd like it in the front left corner. I'm not gripping right on the corner at all, so your positioning would interfere with my grip.

What was the piece of plastic that you used though? Was it something specific, or something just rigged up?
Old 05-15-17, 08:26 AM
Snuts
Mid Tour!

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Just a piece in the someday parts bin, source unknown. But easy to duplicate from hardwood, plastic, Teflon.
Like you I could see the sides being a preferred point. Making my next option, might be the bottom left corner. So, with that I might wait until I get to family a few days away to re-wrap my bars and relocate my mirror.

I looked up S24O, That is what I'm promoting, ha-ha.

-Snuts-
Old 05-15-17, 09:05 AM
jefnvk

Originally Posted by Snuts
I looked up S24O, That is what I'm promoting, ha-ha.
I had a good time, it was the first time I've done it. Only 20 miles away, but it was a good shakedown run, especially considering the couple baggage issues I had.

Gotta find some places up north I can do either the S24O or some weekend camping trips. Even though I live on the fringe, I really don't like riding roads in the Metro Detroit area, too many of the parks we do have in the area still require riding major state trunklines to get to.

Really was a good way to try out some ideas without being too out of place if they don't work. Gave it a try on the ride home, and it now has me sold on the idea of biking in sandals and wool socks
Old 05-15-17, 09:39 AM
Happy Feet

I just looked up s24o too.
Sounds like the micro adventure idea Alistair Humphries talks about
Old 05-15-17, 09:47 AM
jefnvk

Originally Posted by Happy Feet
I just looked up s24o too.
Sounds like the micro adventure idea Alistair Humphries talks about
Works out well for my home life too, my fiancee works nights at the hospital, so I left right about the same time she left for work and was home well before she woke up the next afternoon
Old 05-15-17, 08:51 PM
Happy Feet

Me too. I'm lucky in that I get to tour a couple of times a year if I want but otherwise I've had to find ways to flex my need for outdoor activity with raising three kids. Unfortunately, none want to do the same things (or at least to the same degree) so I steal time wherever I can. Now I have a set work schedule but it was really good when I was self employed

About the helicopter thing from the other thread (weird):

I did a climb years ago using one and decided to look up the company to see if it was still around. They do sight seeing tours in the Northern Cascades (our side) and for $110 go right past a local mountain that is popular to hike. I'm going to see if they will drop my bike and I off. Otherwise, it's a long uphill drive in a 4x4 plus a 3 hour hike plus the return trip which, for me, will be about 70km's (one way). I figure $110 or so is pretty cheap for a unique day of hiking and riding. I don't drink or smoke or blow my money on anything else really (except diving) so why not have fun once in a while.

One of the underlying themes talked about sometimes is saving the money that could be spent on an expensive new bike and spending it instead on actual touring. For s24o's it might be worthwhile to investigate local service providers that could add an extra element to an otherwise ordinary event.

Last edited by Happy Feet; 05-15-17 at 09:03 PM.
Old 05-15-17, 09:43 PM
jefnvk

Originally Posted by Happy Feet
For s24o's it might be worthwhile to investigate local service providers that could add an extra element to an otherwise ordinary event.
Love the idea! Actually saw the same idea when I was researching some of my Iceland stuff, a helo will drop you off in a remote spot with nothing but a small camelback pack, and you pedal back on the MTB trails. Really looked like cool idea, just not much of a MTBer myself. It'll be awesome if you can get the helo folks to go for it!

But to the S24O overall, really never heard of it until a couple months ago here. Makes all the sense in the world, I used to do such things in college (albeit not on a bike), but one of my hangups about this place is how much emphasis is put on perfection/epicness. As one still relatively new (last couple years) to biking and touring, I guess I just see some of the advice passed around and want to let others know that it may well work for someone else, but it doesn't need to be followed to have fun out there. I mean, after all, my first tour was on an $85 bike that was 4 years older than me, using trains and ferrys when they simply made sense, and I had a grand time. I'll fully admit it wasn't the best bike choice at the end of the day, but even knowing that I'm struggling with my sentimental attachment to sell it an find something more suited (a simple N+1 is gonna win this one).

Personally, I think everyone needs to find what fits with them. I have an extensive travel history to Europe that I am starting to work bikes into, it doesn't really bother me my tours are ten days at a time instead of three months, or that I had fun credit carding it with a nice burger instead of eating cold mush. The overall tone of this place should be "get out there and enjoy it", not "you're not doing it like me".
Old 05-15-17, 10:07 PM
Happy Feet

I agree.

I think what's important is to be active, either in an epic or small way - it really doesn't matter. I know what I currently like, and what I liked in the past, but who knows where the future leads so I try to remain excited and open minded about it. That I think is the real spirit of adventure.

Case in point: Max has talked about bikepacking a lot here and I sort of though.. meh. Not my thing. But I decided to buy a frame bag and HB roll and found I sort of liked them. But what really got me jazzed up was looking at all the off road opportunities that exist in my neck of the woods.

Now I'm heading out on a long weekend full fledged bikepacking trip to test my kit and have altered my 2 week rockies trip in June to include more gravel and trail sections. All on my $55 1991 rigid mtb and something I wouldn't have done if others hadn't shared their exploits here. My original plan, as usual, was: 2 weeks, how far how fast.

Last edited by Happy Feet; 05-15-17 at 10:15 PM.
Old 05-15-17, 10:26 PM
jefnvk

Another case in point as to how folks can diagree and get on just fine: I don't really care how fast. One of my biggest issues right now is convincing trip mate that 16MPH on the beautiful rail trail is nothing like trying to maintain 16MPH loaded on unfamiliar, rough roads!

But I will admit as much as this place turned me on to regular bike touring, the bikepacking thing does look fun. If only the National Park would open horse/hiking trails to cyclists...
Old 06-08-17, 07:46 PM
shipwreck

Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Finally found time to take a two nighter on the bike that I bought just when this thread was started. Schwinn High Sierra, 90 I think. The top tube has two dents in it, and its slightly bent at one of them. It still tracks strait and can ride it no hands even with the front bag on there, so who cares.
Most of the parts are things I took off of bikes hauled home from the recycler. Some new things, sealed BB, Nashbar trekking bars and cheap grips, that pink profile design bar tape they have had marked down forever. Even the headset was a takeoff from the bike the wheels came off of. Bought the tires new four years ago.
In all I estimate around 100 dollars, including the 60 paid for the Serfas Drifters(not ideal touring tires, heavy but pretty tough. Handled rough washed out roads and do well enough on the paved road)

The bags are home made. The frame bag was made for this frame, the others years ago. Material was discounted surplus nylon taffeta and generic walmart cordura type stuff. Buckles and straps are takeoffs from discarded bags.

Rode down to a wildlife management area with miles and miles of fire roads, not all on the maps. There are a number of campgrounds for hunters. Not the season right now so had it all to myself. Carried five liters of water(there is water there, but farm runoff with various pesticides that I do not like to filter), Knorr pasta stuff with some tuna, instant potatoes, Stovetop stuffing, and a home brewed alky stove with one pot and cozy. Basic hammock/tarp, down quilt and Klymit pad. Misc like compass, pocket knife, Ipad and phone with Mophie charger so I could watch Mystery Science theater 3000 on youtube instead of my usual book. Using satellite images on the ipad helped out once or twice trying to figure out which way to turn on various unmarked logging tracks. Reception is good on the hill tops. Its a 14,435 acre area, with no markings on any of the various roads.
[IMG]18920906_1589328957746044_3146395354923981463_o by onedollarmiyata, on Flickr[/IMG]

Don't take a lot of pictures, but here's the other one I remembered to take.
[IMG]18922873_1591191237559816_6863313009719949337_o by onedollarmiyata, on Flickr[/IMG]

Followed this stream bed for a mile or so, till I hit another old logging track. It was pretty fun doing that, tires are only 2" or so.

This is the first longer ride with the trekking bars, not 100% sure if I like them, but they let me use my beloved old suntour ratcheting thumb shifters, and worked better for the washed out rutted roads with big rocks. They also made me sit up a bit more, so I actually felt like a tourist, looking around. Usually my tours are destination specific and time sensitive with high mileage days and only a little wiggle room. The slow pace felt strange. After I got back on the highway it was a 30 mile ride back on paved roads. Really spun out with the 48/14 gearing, missed my usual 100 some gear inches. There are some good downhills here and i'm not used to coasting that much.

Last edited by shipwreck; 06-08-17 at 07:52 PM.
Old 07-21-17, 08:34 PM
GTryder

Bikes: 1993 Trek 520 Touring, 2009 Globe SF 2, 2011 Giant Dash 3, 2011 GT Traffic 3.0, 2011 GT Traffic 5.0, 2012 GT Aggressor 3.0, 2014 Surface 604 Element

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
My Budget Touring Bike - '93 Trek 520

Maybe a little late getting started, but here goes:

July 15th - Purchaced 1993 Trek 520 from LBS for $150.00 Cdn = $113.00 usd
July 20th - Purchased Adjustable Stem from LBS for $24.95 Cdn = $19.00 usd
July 20th - Purchased 350mm Seat Post from LBS for $18.95 Cdn = $14.00 usd
Attached Images
Trek520 update..jpg (77.3 KB, 114 views)
520 stem.jpg (62.7 KB, 113 views)
520 seatpost.jpg (96.4 KB, 115 views)

Last edited by GTryder; 11-22-17 at 12:52 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.