Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

cross country tour on aluminum frame, bad idea?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

cross country tour on aluminum frame, bad idea?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-17, 05:50 AM
BigAura

Bikes: all steel stable: surly world troller, paris sport fixed, fuji ss

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 33 Posts
Pack as light as you can. If you and your equipment & supplies is less than 200lbs you should be fine. If it's greater than 220 lbs I'd think twice.
Old 05-10-17, 03:59 PM
300ps

Bikes: MIFA Trekkingrad (2), KHS Urban Xpress

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I did a 30,000 kilometer (about 20% off-pavement) trip on an aluminum bike, heavily loaded w/5 bags and at times large supplies of food and water for unpopulated areas, and I still ride that bike. Rim toughness/quality turned out to be way more important of a consideration, I destroyed 4 during the trip.
Old 05-10-17, 04:49 PM
GamblerGORD53

Bikes: 2013 Custom SA5w / Rohloff Tourster

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1237 Post(s)
Liked 324 Times in 249 Posts
Originally Posted by 300ps
I did a 30,000 kilometer (about 20% off-pavement) trip on an aluminum bike, heavily loaded w/5 bags and at times large supplies of food and water for unpopulated areas, and I still ride that bike. Rim toughness/quality turned out to be way more important of a consideration, I destroyed 4 during the trip.
I bet those busted rims were NOT Velocity Dyads and had eyelets.
Old 05-10-17, 06:49 PM
BigAura

Originally Posted by 300ps
The aluminum frame is very stiff and instead of flexing like a steel bike, it may have vectored more impact to the wheels. Nicely over-built wheels and fat-tires would be they way I'd go.
Old 05-10-17, 07:19 PM
300ps

Bikes: MIFA Trekkingrad (2), KHS Urban Xpress

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BigAura
The aluminum frame is very stiff and instead of flexing like a steel bike, it may have vectored more impact to the wheels. Nicely over-built wheels and fat-tires would be they way I'd go.
I don't doubt that that was a factor. It's hard to overstate just how bad many of the "roads" were on this trip, basically mountain biking without the mountain bike (and heavily loaded to boot). I wouldn't recommend this setup to someone embarking on the same kind of journey, but I think it shows that aluminum frames can be quite strong and certainly sufficient for a paved road trip in the US (at least for the frame I used, I feel like it deserves a spot in the hall of fame).
Old 05-11-17, 06:04 AM
bradtx

Bikes: Cannondale, Trek, Raleigh, Santana

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
@BigAura, I think a modern steel touring bike's stiffness is very close to an aluminum framed touring bike. I could be wrong, but none of us want a bike that flexes under a load.
@GamblerGORD53, Wheels used for touring are under a lot of stress, but perhaps less so than those used on a cargo bike or a tandem. FWIW I tend to stress build quality more than the individual components. Even with the best parts and the most skillful build, there are no guarantees WRT longevity.

Brad
Old 05-11-17, 07:26 AM
skookum
cyclotourist

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked 205 Times in 130 Posts
I'm a Steel is Real guy, but I think all this stuff about harsh aluminum frames is way overdone. The harshness of a ride has more to do with geometry, tires, saddles, suspension than frame material. I wouldn't hesitate to use an aluminum frame bike for touring, there are lots of good ones out there. If the bike fits, can carry the gear needed and has the appropriate gearing, then go for it.

As others have pointed out, if you have a heavily loaded touring bike, you don't want too much flex in your frame. Bikes made for expedition touring, like some of the Thorn bikes, are steel but very stiff so they don't flex with heavy loads.
Old 05-11-17, 06:14 PM
BigAura

Originally Posted by skookum
I'm a Steel is Real guy, but I think all this stuff about harsh aluminum frames is way overdone. The harshness of a ride has more to do with geometry, tires, saddles, suspension than frame material.
I do tend to agree with you, in that the factors you point out are key. But frame material does factor in. I my experience I have have owned and ridden three aluminum-framed bikes, and toured on two. I toured on an AL-REI-Safari and with 2.0 tires and definitely found the ride to be harsher than my steel tourers with the same 2.0 rubber. By far the harshest tour-riding-experience I've had was on my Tri-Cross and I suffered some hand numbness for two weeks after completing the tour. Setups were never identical to my steel-tourers, so I can't say it was only the aluminum.

BUT on the non-touring front, I switched from an AL race-type-bike to a carbon with almost the identical setup, and can say absolutely aluminum is a hasher ride!

Last edited by BigAura; 05-11-17 at 06:30 PM.
Old 05-15-17, 06:43 AM
poopmypants15

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So I guess that's another question. If I stick with the Fuji, should I invest in some better 'touring' rims? If so, are there any recommendations, knowing that I'll be traveling super light and on an aluminum/more road frame. I already know I'll throw on bigger tires regardless.... probably 28mm continental gator skins or 28mm schwalbe marathons.
Old 05-15-17, 08:17 AM
Snuts
Mid Tour!

Bikes: Marin Muirwoods Racked out for this years Tour, Norco Indi 4 racked out from last years tour, Giant Defi II for week-end ripps.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Your 3500 miles touring, were you using your current rims?
If so, and you are going with a similar weight set-up, Why?
You might take them in to get trued, and TENSIONED. But if it works, why "fix" it?

Hope this helps,

-Snuts-
Old 05-15-17, 08:23 AM
john_mct

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I would at least bump the tire size up to 30-35mm and high tpi like the vittoria voyager hyper or the like. Back to back long days in the saddle benefit from some cushion
Old 05-15-17, 10:42 AM
Squeezebox
Banned.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 760 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by poopmypants15
So I guess that's another question. If I stick with the Fuji, should I invest in some better 'touring' rims? If so, are there any recommendations, knowing that I'll be traveling super light and on an aluminum/more road frame. I already know I'll throw on bigger tires regardless.... probably 28mm continental gator skins or 28mm schwalbe marathons.
If it ain't broke!!
Why spend the money on new wheels if you are not having any problems with the current wheels? What width tire will fit on your bicycle? People do tour on 28's.
Relax and enjoy!