Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Getting passed

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Getting passed

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-17, 07:41 AM
KenR

Bikes: 2017 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 1, 2005 Specialized Roubaix Elite, 2016 Trek 7.4FX hybrid

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Assuming I'm riding with effort but still get passed, I just figure she's a better rider than me. Fine with that.
Old 08-15-17, 07:48 AM
f4rrest
Farmer tan

Bikes: Allez, SuperSix Evo

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2870 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
Just ride your ride. If you want to see how you compare, turn on Strava.
Fixed for 41.
Old 08-15-17, 08:06 AM
hsuehhwa

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I don't really care about getting passed or passing somebody thing...

Unless all the riders agree it's a race, passing or not doesn't mean a thing.

You never know whether the rider passing you or you are passing is in a endurance ride, a century, a double century, last 5 miles of a century ride, recovery ride, or just a 20 mile very intense workout..

So what's the point?
Old 08-15-17, 09:04 AM
rgconner

Bikes: Curtis Inglis Road, 80's Sekai touring fixie

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
Shut up and enjoy the view.
Old 08-15-17, 09:06 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Something else you just don't know, that random person passing might be a local pro development team rider on a zone 2 recovery ride, and only on that route to deliberately go slow. If you did know that, you'd feel a fool for "racing" them.

I'm pretty specific about that because I've seen their van at various trailheads, guys unloading, riding along at about 18 mph, and they don't "look pro" any more than anyone else. I'm not worried about them passing me, obviously, nor vice versa. That particular team is male only, but there's no reason why a randomly encountered woman wouldn't be just relaxing at 18-20 mph either.
Old 08-15-17, 09:13 AM
redlude97

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1975 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 173 Posts
Originally Posted by kbarch
Who's ego is bruised here - who's really being the jerk?
Someone, ANYONE, passes a rider and makes a him realize maybe he isn't as good as he thinks or isn't working as hard as maybe he should, so he makes an effort. How does giving chase make him a jerk? If I pass someone, I hope they do chase me, and if they pass me back, good for them! I just expect them to keep going and not slow back down right away. If folks don't want to play that game, they don't have to; they can say "I don't want to play," but I don't see any reason to accuse those who do of having fragile egos or being "threatened." If your friend really has that kind of disdain, she should just get over herself. No matter who you are, when you're good at something, having others try to prove themselves against you comes with the territory. Don't be a jerk and roll your eyes at them, smile when you drop them!
The difference is the op, and many men, instantly assume because it is a woman they shouldn't be able to pass them. The fact that it is a woman bothers them but not a man says a lot. Do you ride with many women? I ride with quite a few, there are a lot of strong ones here in Seattle. Their experiences mirror these. We train on alot of the same roads, the number of times I get chased after passing is significantlying lower than for them. If we are riding together we don't get chased down. It's a bad look for the sport and the culture
Old 08-15-17, 09:32 AM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4393 Post(s)
Liked 3,016 Times in 1,865 Posts
Originally Posted by kbarch
Who's ego is bruised here - who's really being the jerk?
Someone, ANYONE, passes a rider and makes a him realize maybe he isn't as good as he thinks or isn't working as hard as maybe he should, so he makes an effort. How does giving chase make him a jerk? If I pass someone, I hope they do chase me, and if they pass me back, good for them! I just expect them to keep going and not slow back down right away. If folks don't want to play that game, they don't have to; they can say "I don't want to play," but I don't see any reason to accuse those who do of having fragile egos or being "threatened." If your friend really has that kind of disdain, she should just get over herself. No matter who you are, when you're good at something, having others try to prove themselves against you comes with the territory. Don't be a jerk and roll your eyes at them, smile when you drop them!
So your point is that the problem with some women is that they don't smile enough?
Old 08-15-17, 11:14 AM
Abe_Froman

Bikes: Marin Four Corners, 1960's Schwinn Racer in middle of restoration, mid 70s Motobecane Grand Touring, various other heaps.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 9347 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
I shouldn't read too much in to it? My point is that you shouldn't read too much in to it - so much so that I really don't see a point in trying. You mention comparing yourself in gaming and sport... but those are instances where the participants have implicitly or explicitly agreed to competition. While you're busy patting yourself on the back for turning yourself inside out to catch someone's wheel, they may be in the middle of a z2 ride or at the end of a century; there's no way for you to compare yourself to someone else with only your data point.
If you're in full spandex on a $5000+ carbon bike out in public, it's completely reasonable for the public to assume you are currently on a race-mode pro training ride, and use you as a measuring stick.

Find a velodrome or a closed course if one is uncomfortable with that societal agreement.
Old 08-15-17, 11:44 AM
Stratocaster

Bikes: 2015 CAAD 10; 2016 Felt Z85

Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by redfooj
On a recent open club ride I saw a pretty chunky dude who took off with us in group A/B. I judged him based on his looks. Thought he would eventually drop back to group C.

He didn't. He was stronger than me. Even up the hills. We chatted. Very friendly dude. Had beers after and now we're Strava/riding friends. Don't know since when he started riding, but dude logs 4x the mileage that I do. He just happens to *love* the beers.

That's so true - you can't judge a rider by the way he/she looks. We have guys in their 70's that are beasts.
I've seen "large" guys that are racers; women that are good and grind it out.

I'm in a similar boat as the OP - mid 50's, started cycling "seriously" about 2 years ago.
I've made a lot of progress in 2 years.
But if someone passes me I just figure, "they're better than I am... FOR NOW"
Old 08-15-17, 11:45 AM
kbarch

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1096 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by MinnMan
So your point is that the problem with some women is that they don't smile enough?
Too many riders, men and women, don't smile enough: always ascribing the worst attitudes to others. At least that's what it seems like here.
I have, in fact, chased down a former pro who was on a casual warm up, thinking he was just some Fred with a pro kit fetish. When we met at a light and struck up a conversation, I was amused to discover the facts, but I didn't feel the least bit foolish. He certainly didn't roll his eyes at me or make me feel like he thought I was a jerk.
Old 08-15-17, 11:49 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18424 Post(s)
Liked 15,580 Times in 7,337 Posts
Originally Posted by rbk_3

An Old Order Mennonite in a straw hat and suspenders just blew by me. Those guys bike everywhere, when they're not taking their horse and buggies, so it's not surprising they're fast. It's a good thing they don't have Strava lol

Ikr. I have done a lot of riding in Lancaster County, PA, which is home to many Amish and Mennonites. (Floyd Landis country.) Some of them are incredibly strong. One year I did an organized metric. There was a teenage Mennonite boy who did the ride in a plaid, collared shirt and a pair those stiff, black jeans. Quite a sight seeing that he was also wearing Sidi road shoes. He was very fast. During a charity event out that way I drafted behind a local teenage Mennonite girl riding an old Raleigh road bike with dual mirrors, a rear rack with a milk crate attached to it and...wait for it...a Campy rear disc wheel. She was probably heading to work or the market.
Old 08-15-17, 11:50 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18424 Post(s)
Liked 15,580 Times in 7,337 Posts
Originally Posted by RShantz
Drop the hammer to 400W

Old 08-15-17, 11:54 AM
Reynolds 
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaña pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 868 Post(s)
Liked 721 Times in 396 Posts
If I was bothered for a woman being faster than me, I'd live bothered.
I also pass some, however.
Old 08-15-17, 12:04 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
In the spring, returning from a long ride, a guy in full Sagan team kit- socks and all- passed going the other way.

Apparently he was doing a short lap as he tuned around and soon passed me approaching the medium-sized hill.

He had a poseur look- over dressed with a substantial pot belly, so I figured that I'd catch him on the climb,

but I didn't! Maybe he was working off the winter weight.
Old 08-15-17, 12:15 PM
Stratocaster

Bikes: 2015 CAAD 10; 2016 Felt Z85

Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
I shouldn't read too much in to it? My point is that you shouldn't read too much in to it - so much so that I really don't see a point in trying. You mention comparing yourself in gaming and sport... but those are instances where the participants have implicitly or explicitly agreed to competition. While you're busy patting yourself on the back for turning yourself inside out to catch someone's wheel, they may be in the middle of a z2 ride or at the end of a century; there's no way for you to compare yourself to someone else with only your data point.

Are you serious?
The guy is playing mental games on his commute for the fun of it.
WHY IS THIS SO HARD FOR YOU TO UNDERSTAND???
Old 08-15-17, 12:19 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by Stratocaster
WHY IS THIS SO HARD FOR YOU TO UNDERSTAND???
It's probably because he didn't use the caps lock enough.
Old 08-15-17, 12:41 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,585 Times in 2,344 Posts
Originally Posted by astrodust
Can anyone relate?
yes, you are not alone
Old 08-15-17, 12:43 PM
locked up

Bikes: Douglas Fusion "Suburbike II"

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think you are allowed to retain your "man card".

Unless she then drank you under the table.
In which case we will need to put you out to pasture.
Old 08-15-17, 01:17 PM
stockae92

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When getting passed by the ladies, I usually just follow ... for miles and miles
Old 08-15-17, 01:20 PM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka
Face it ... women are strong. Or at least, a whole lot stronger than you ever gave them credit for.
Just not so. On average men are stronger than woman in any town I have lived. But, no mistake, some woman are certainly faster than men including me. I find most woman to be slow riders in fact....16 mph is a pretty typical average for a woman out on a road bike. I pass them everyday. Very rare that a woman ever catches my wheel but men do on occasion, certainly a much higher frequency. I am friends with the fastest lady in my town and ride with her from time to time. I can hold her wheel for a while but after about 30 miles she will wear me down.

Last edited by Campag4life; 08-15-17 at 01:23 PM.
Old 08-15-17, 01:42 PM
wallrat

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
You are only on the downslope if you want to be.
You're only 50. If you're slow, it's not your age that's holding you back.
Old 08-15-17, 02:40 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,479 Times in 1,836 Posts
It's funny ... if the OP said "some Italian" or "some Irish person" it would seem objectionable .... but "some woman" isn't sexist?

I don't care. This is a very mild distinction, and not (to me) offensive. But it is all and only about some archaic idea that men are supposed to be physically superior to women. But really, all it is, is this guy saying "I am sexist."

Not worth a debate. If he gets all angst-ridden over being passed by a woman rider, that is his issue.

Some folks get upset if certain types or "classes" or riders pass them, others, different groups. Some folks can't stand being passed at all ... and some don't care if they are overtaken or not.

Not an Earth-shaking issue, in my view.
Old 08-15-17, 02:51 PM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3375 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
The fastest racers I know are fairly slow riders and passed quite often.
I expect the fastest women are not passing you, not because they can't, but because the fastest women - ride slower (usually).

But if you are concerned, just say "Zone 1 day" as they pass by. Then they will know you are much faster than they are.

Last edited by Doge; 08-15-17 at 03:44 PM.
Old 08-15-17, 02:58 PM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3375 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
Originally Posted by wphamilton
Something else you just don't know, that random person passing might be a local pro development team rider on a zone 2 recovery ride, and only on that route to deliberately go slow. If you did know that, you'd feel a fool for "racing" them....
+1
I hadn't read this on when I posted above.
Old 08-15-17, 03:02 PM
goenrdoug

Bikes: 2019 Supersix Evo, 2002 Trek 2000

Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 32 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
It's funny ... if the OP said "some Italian" or "some Irish person" it would seem objectionable .... but "some woman" isn't sexist?
No, the distinction is that there's a well established physiological difference between the sexes. It's widely accepted that the top-level women cannot compete with the top-level men -- that's why there are men's races and women's races. The same difference doesn't exist between same-sex Italians, people of color, etc.

That physiological difference exists all the way down the spectrum of rider skill-levels as well. It's reasonable to assume that if you're faster than about 50% of men, you're probably faster than more-than-50% of women, given the physiological disparity.

I guess the OP simply doesn't understand this.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.