Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Dropping the statins

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Dropping the statins

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-17, 07:09 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1944 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
As I mentioned earlier. When I had muscle pain, I stopped and eventually was talked into trying a different statin and eventually found one that didn't cause side effects. My doctor was smart in that he started with 5mg. Such a small dose was a good way to test out the statin and see how I tolerated it. For him it was more about a start and then gradually go from there.

John
Old 08-10-17, 06:05 AM
memebag

Bikes: 2017 Cannondale CAAD12 105, 2014 Giant Escape City

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 820 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by MidSouthBiker
Mostly, Yes.
I am mainly a weekend warrior for cycling, but I was getting the leg cramps all throughout the week. I just thought it was part of the Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness, that I also get.

But my doctor said no. He told me he is also on Simvastatin and was getting the cramps also, but he does not ride. He said after starting the every other day routine, his cramps ceased. Mine have too during the later part of the week. I still get some rarely on like Sunday evenings or Mondays. By the way the good doctor and I are on the 20mg version of Simvastatin. Also, my cholesterol has been under control for a couple years now.
Have you considered CoQ10? My doc said the cramps are caused by Co10 deficiency and a supplement made mine go away.
Old 08-10-17, 06:13 AM
MidSouthBiker

Bikes: Mr.White Mr.Green Mr.Orange

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by memebag
Have you considered CoQ10? My doc said the cramps are caused by Co10 deficiency and a supplement made mine go away.
No I have not tried that yet. I may check it out.
Old 08-10-17, 06:15 AM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,020 Times in 572 Posts
I've been taking Red Yeast Rice supplements and my numbers have come down with no perceived side effects. I've always had muscle cramps, but they haven't increased.
Old 08-10-17, 09:58 AM
rideorfly

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by memebag
Have you considered CoQ10? My doc said the cramps are caused by CoQ10 deficiency and a supplement made mine go away.
Great to hear! Cholesterol and CoQ10 are both made in the same pathway, so when you take statins to lower cholesterol, you also end up lowering your CoQ10 levels. CoQ10 helps our bodies produce energy and is used in high amounts by our hearts and muscles.

Even if you don't have noticeable side effects, yous should still consider taking a CoQ10 supplements with your statins to replenish low levels. Red yeast rice acts on the same pathway as statins and can also lower CoQ10 levels.
Old 08-10-17, 12:44 PM
rideorfly

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Biker395
I dunno. You could look at those figures differently too. From one of the quoted articles:

https://Statin Continuation After Adv... of Physicians

In other words, you've increased your chance of having another heart attack in the next 4 years by about 1.7% by not taking stains. While the study touts that as a 12% increase in risk, there are other ways to die too.

Like from diabetic complications for example. And statins can increase your chances of developing diabetes:

So it's hard to know what to do.

After a CT angiogram, my doc told me statins were "optional" but a good idea if I wanted to keep riding into my 80s. I decided to try them. I got weird muscle aches I've never had before, and joint pain went from minor occasional pain to frequent moderate pain. To the extent that would stop me from getting exercise and enjoying life, I jettisoned the statins.

The symptoms disappeared.

Lifestlyle changes aren't going to make any difference. I'm already 3 sigma with exercise, and my diet is very low in bad fats. I've taken to drinking more wine (twist my arm) and nuts like cashews and almonds (supposedly higher in natural statins). I already eat 1/2 cup of oatmeal a day.

I'll go back to the doc and see what he says about taking different statins or CoQ10, do my research and decide what is next.
It can be challenging to know what to do, given the differing schools of thought on the matter. Keep us updated on the research you do.
Old 08-12-17, 06:18 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
I have been on Lipitor for 18 years with no side effects at all. Since I have type II diabetes my doctor want my C number below 150. My blood tests come back with a number around 125.
Old 08-14-17, 11:31 AM
wthensler 

Bikes: 2021 Trek Domane SLR 7, 2012 Giant Defy 0, 2012 Trek Domane 6.2 P1, Bianchi Infinito CV disc Di2

Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 1,000 Times in 250 Posts
I saw my primary physician today - although encouraged by the recent drop in cholesterol numbers, he believes the drug works in symbiosis with exercise and diet, and advised not going off statins completely. The recommended minimum dose of Pravastatin is 20 mg/day and there aren't any scientific studies to support lower dosages.

So I'll continue taking them, working out, and endeavor to eat more thoughtfully.
Old 08-14-17, 04:01 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1944 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
Originally Posted by wthensler
I saw my primary physician today - although encouraged by the recent drop in cholesterol numbers, he believes the drug works in symbiosis with exercise and diet, and advised not going off statins completely. The recommended minimum dose of Pravastatin is 20 mg/day and there aren't any scientific studies to support lower dosages.

So I'll continue taking them, working out, and endeavor to eat more thoughtfully.
I'll give you a non-medical opinion that may jeopardize your health...

You can always cut them in half and see how it goes. When my doctor wanted me to go from 10mg to 20mg I just cut the 20mg in half until I was ready to make the jump. My monthly perscription lasted 2 months, so now I have over a half a dozen bottles stored up. I eventually made the jump to 20mg.

As I said, it is not sound advice, but it is what I did.

John
Old 09-06-17, 01:28 PM
donhaller 

Bikes: GIANT TCR C1, Gary Fisher Aquila MTB, Custom Nishiki, TREK Antelope

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 10 Posts
Stop eating sugars and grains. Stop eating fat free, Increase fats, eat reasonable amount of protein and vegetables. Stop eating estrogen containing soy products. Ride your bike and enjoy life. Things should fall back into alignment.
Old 09-07-17, 08:46 AM
KenR

Bikes: 2017 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 1, 2005 Specialized Roubaix Elite, 2016 Trek 7.4FX hybrid

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Excellent and informative discussion. Recently went on 10mg Pravastatin after recording 238 on my cholesterol reading. Went for a 40 miler a couple of days ago and cramped up big time at the end. Chalked it up to usual hot and humid Florida weather, but maybe the station was a factor. Time to add some CoQ10.
Old 09-07-17, 02:32 PM
icyclist 
Spin Meister

Bikes: Trek Émonda, 1961 Follis (French) road bike (I'm the original owner), a fixie, a mountain bike, etc.

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by KenR
Time to add some CoQ10.
There is only anecdotal evidence that it works. Still, I'd give it a try. However, if you've gotten serious cramps in the same weather before, prepare to be disappointed.

I seem to have banished cramps with more hydration during and after rides, and with a higher salt intake (mmmm.....dill pickles!).
Old 09-08-17, 10:42 AM
donhaller 

Bikes: GIANT TCR C1, Gary Fisher Aquila MTB, Custom Nishiki, TREK Antelope

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 10 Posts
My immediate cure for cramps is ionic magnesium 3ml in a glass of milk. Will knock out extreme groin cramps or hamstring cramps within a minute of taking it. It is a liquid form, not a magnesium capsule. you will need the ionic form of Magnesium. I get it on Amazon and it has solved alll my cramping issues. After riding for extended periods 40 to 50 miles I would get excrusiatingcramps in my groins at night. It was truly debilitating.

https://www.amazon.com/Good-State-Ma.../dp/B005PFK3YS
Old 09-08-17, 11:24 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
As I mentioned before I have been on Lipitor 18 years with no side effects at all. How ever my wife cannot take statins, because it screws up her liver panel. Everyone seems to have different effect to different meds.
Old 09-11-17, 06:19 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1514 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
After going through a half-dozen brands of statin and not finding one I could tolerate, I dug my heels in and told my doc "No Mas!" He referred me to a cardiologist, who, although he could find nothing wrong with me other than my blood numbers, convinced me to try ONE MORE. I think it was Crestor. A few days after starting, I developed open blisters on the bottoms of my feet. So I immediately quit. After allowing several weeks for the blisters to heal, I tried again. The next morning, I had large open blisters on both feet. The cardio wanted me to come in for another try, but I told him he obviously didn't understand what ONE MORE meant.

I have since fired both docs.
Old 09-11-17, 07:57 PM
WingSuit

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My cholesterol has always been high, like 240 to 260 but with high good cholesterol. A few years ago, I started simvistatin. Got my total cholesterol down to 180. However, gradually I noticed a decline is my cycling endurance. To the point where I couldn't ride 2.6 miles around the local pond, from 50 milers on the road and 3000 foot MTB climbs. Went back to doc, had some labs and my ck levels were a thousand times higher than normal. I was in full rhabto. Took a few months but got back to normal without statins. Fast forward to a year ago, found out I was sensitive to milk protein. So off all dairy, and only have one serving of red meat a month. Cholesterol is still over 200, but way better than it was.