Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Correct distance between top of threaded headset and fork steerer?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-23, 05:28 PM
tangerineowl

Bikes: Curve Grovel v2 ti

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked 91 Times in 75 Posts

Planning a quill setup. Have read about 1inch threaded headsets and their stack height vs fork steerer length minus head tube length.

Q. When the headset top/lock-nut? is screwed down properly, do you ideally want the top edge of the fork to be sitting a mm or so below the headset top face?
Old 09-30-23, 05:49 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4212 Post(s)
Liked 3,883 Times in 2,318 Posts
Not sure of the specifics of the question but if the top nut/lock nut has a lip (and most do) that covers the top edge of the steerer than that steerer has to be at least short enough to clear the underside of that lip. By how much is not the issue as long there's enough thread overlap and the steerer doesn't contact that lip. This usually has a couple/three mm range.

What is meant by "headset top face"? Andy
Old 09-30-23, 06:04 PM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 839 Post(s)
Liked 1,064 Times in 747 Posts
And if the steerer is a few millimeters too long then add some spacers between the adjuster nut and the lock nut for future proofing for headsets with taller stack heights rather than cut the steerer to fit your current HS.
Old 09-30-23, 06:08 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Unless you are dealing with a CK GripNut design which has no allowance for added spacers... Andy
Old 09-30-23, 06:20 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12790 Post(s)
Liked 7,698 Times in 4,087 Posts
I like about 20mm to an inch of spacers between locknut and cup/cone because I like fairly high bars.

And if you're asking if top of locknut should be above the top of the steerer, yes. Even if the locknut doesn't have an interior flange I'll leave a couple of threads on the locknut unused.

Someday I'll paint this spacer (cut from threadless steel 1-1/8" steerer) and top cup...

Last edited by LesterOfPuppets; 09-30-23 at 06:24 PM.
Likes For LesterOfPuppets:
Old 09-30-23, 06:42 PM
tangerineowl

Bikes: Curve Grovel v2 ti

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked 91 Times in 75 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
Not sure of the specifics of the question but if the top nut/lock nut has a lip (and most do) that covers the top edge of the steerer than that steerer has to be at least short enough to clear the underside of that lip. By how much is not the issue as long there's enough thread overlap and the steerer doesn't contact that lip. This usually has a couple/three mm range.

What is meant by "headset top face"? Andy
Gotcha. Didn't know most will have that lip. Can picture things now re clearance required. Thanks.
Old 09-30-23, 08:42 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets
I like about 20mm to an inch of spacers between locknut and cup/cone because I like fairly high bars.

And if you're asking if top of locknut should be above the top of the steerer, yes. Even if the locknut doesn't have an interior flange I'll leave a couple of threads on the locknut unused.

Someday I'll paint this spacer (cut from threadless steel 1-1/8" steerer) and top cup...

As long as the stem's quill/wedge end is inserted enough to be safe (most manufactures have about a 2.5" insertion as the minimum) these added spacers are fine. The real issue is when the quill's wedge is inside the threaded portion of the steerer. The threads act as "well designed" stress risers and one can crack off the top section of the steerer if the stem is wedged there. As this area is out of sight periodically checking for cracks is rarely done. Andy
Old 10-01-23, 09:51 AM
wheelreason

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 505 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 378 Posts
Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets

LOL, I have a Basso Tre Tubi with 2 HS caps on the steerer, which I meant to be temporary, and that was 25 years ago, and it still sits like that in the garage...
Old 10-01-23, 11:57 AM
mpetry912 
aged to perfection

Bikes: Dinucci Allez 2.0, Richard Sachs, Alex Singer, Serotta, Masi GC, Raleigh Pro Mk.1, Hetchins, etc

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked 1,263 Times in 667 Posts
I think he means - if the stem is removed, is there a gap between the top of the steerer tube and the inside of the top nut.

you want full engagement on the threads. If the nut and upper cup are tightly locked together and there's no play, look for about a 1 mm gap inside the nut. You do not want the nut bottomed out on the steerer.

/markp
Likes For mpetry912:
Old 10-01-23, 03:13 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3891 Post(s)
Liked 6,491 Times in 3,213 Posts
Originally Posted by tangerineowl
When the headset is locked down properly, do you ideally want the top edge of the fork to be sitting a mm or so below the headset top face?
I'd like 2mm. Why should there be any more than that?
Old 10-01-23, 03:26 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Because life is not perfect and the spacers needed to get 2mm VS 1mm of gap might not be at hand. Since both achieve the same mechanical result...Andy