Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

What have I done...? Help me get ready for a 50 mile ride!

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-17, 10:24 AM
americanrecluse

Bikes: 2015 Trek FX 7.3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I decided to sign up for the LA River ride in June because I'm about to leave Los Angeles. I let my roommate choose - 36 miles or 50? He chose 50. I have never ridden 50 miles. In fact, I have never ridden 36! (My longest was 32.5 miles with a breakfast/post office break at the 6 mile mark.)

I should be able to carve out at least 30 minutes/day plus several hours on weekends to get ready for this ride, but I don't know how to train! Can you recommend good ways to spend my time between now and June 4?

Thanks!
Old 05-09-17, 11:01 AM
jsigone
got the climbing bug

Bikes: one for everything

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked 913 Times in 275 Posts
I'd suggest getting your body, saddle, hands used to riding for 2 hours moving time ASAP. than start increasing from there. Use the short daily 30-60min rides as maintenance, which keeps your body used to riding and saddle time. 3-4 of those shorter ride through the week, change up effort or hills/flats

Sometimes you just have to jump into those long rides and try!. Eat, drink, have someone on stand by if you REALLY REALLY need it. Cramps, flat tires, body hurts don't count be self sufficient on the bike

2 hours this saturday 5/13
2.5 hours next saturday 5/20
3 hours following 5/27

event weekend June 4

After all this, you MAY even like longer rides
Rule #10 // It never gets easier, you just go faster.
Old 05-09-17, 11:27 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18378 Post(s)
Liked 4,512 Times in 3,354 Posts
Is this the ride?
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/14188765

It looks like a fun ride. A little climbing, but nothing too bad. I consider 1000 feet in 50 miles to be fairly flat.

How do you commute? For many, that can be good for an hour or more a day of riding. Perhaps even a few hours.

As mentioned, just go out and have fun. Perhaps try to do some 25 mile rides on weekends. And if your friend signed you up, drag him along too.
Old 05-09-17, 12:13 PM
americanrecluse

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
@jsigone (I always want to type your name like "J is gone") - thank you! I will follow your Saturday suggestions for sure. My roommate is going to teach me how to change a tube this weekend when we put on my fancy new puncture resistant tubes, so I'll be closer to self-sufficiency!
@CliffordK - yes that is it! And a comfort to know there's a subway stop around mile 40 should I get too too flagged to continue.

Unfortunately my commute is part of the problem. It's long (so it takes a big chunk of day) but it's not bike friendly. I work 17 miles away and it's pretty much all city, and not safe for a rider of my ... lack of experience. But what I can do is take my bike to the subway station almost every day between now and then, since I have a bike locker at the station. I need to do that anyway, so this will help me conquer my early morning laziness.
Old 05-09-17, 12:14 PM
jimincalif

Bikes: '96 Trek 850, '08 Specialized Roubaix Comp, '18 Niner RLT RDO

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 126 Times in 86 Posts
Yes to the above, if you can ride 3 hrs/35-40 miles you should be good for 50 on a relatively flat route. Ride your pace, don't get sucked into hanging with a faster group of riders than you are comfortable with early on. Are you comfortable standing up and pedaling off the saddle? You might want to practice this a bit. 30-60 seconds of this every half hour or so gives the butt a nice break.

Don't overthink eating. Eat whatever you normally eat before a ride. Looks like it is a supported ride so eat lightly at the rest stops. For a 50 mile ride you should not need a ton of food along the way. Have fun.
Old 05-09-17, 12:25 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18378 Post(s)
Liked 4,512 Times in 3,354 Posts
Originally Posted by americanrecluse
Unfortunately my commute is part of the problem. It's long (so it takes a big chunk of day) but it's not bike friendly. I work 17 miles away and it's pretty much all city, and not safe for a rider of my ... lack of experience. But what I can do is take my bike to the subway station almost every day between now and then, since I have a bike locker at the station. I need to do that anyway, so this will help me conquer my early morning laziness.
17 miles each way is long, but not impossible for an avid cyclist.

Look for alternative roads/routes through residential neighborhoods, or bike paths.

Is it possible to take your bike on the bus or subway? Perhaps bike/public transport for one direction, and biking home in the evening?

Biking to the subway stop may also help if it is a few hours. At least it can help getting in a bit of seat time.
Old 05-09-17, 04:34 PM
rgconner

Bikes: Curtis Inglis Road, 80's Sekai touring fixie

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
I'd say you have the fitness, you just think you can't do it. =)

Jisgone suggestion is probably the best one, although look at your bike fit as you extend your ride.

My last saddle was just fine for 2 hrs in the saddle, but after that it got more and more uncomfortable until at 3 hrs it was excruciating!

Replacing the saddle got me over the 50 mile hump.
Old 05-09-17, 04:45 PM
Zurichman2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
I always have the thought if I can do 3/4's of a ride it's in the bag. Some suggested hr riding what I might suggest is doing a 40 mile training ride 2 weeks before the ride. This will help get your butt ready for the 50 mile ride. Since this is your first long ride have fun take pics(post them here) and no problem getting off the bike and stretching some. Enjoy the rest stops but don't stay in there so long that your body starts cramping up.

Yes do drag that guy along that signed you up.

Good Luck
Zman
Old 05-09-17, 04:47 PM
jsigone
got the climbing bug

Bikes: one for everything

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked 913 Times in 275 Posts
Originally Posted by rgconner

My last saddle was just fine for 2 hrs in the saddle, but after that it got more and more uncomfortable until at 3 hrs it was excruciating!

Replacing the saddle got me over the 50 mile hump.

great tip! Saddle that fits your bones (LBS shops have gel pad you sit on to find the width of which you should be focus on trying and buying) and get the best set of bib shorts you can afford. I'd rather have 1 really nice set ($100) vs a few cheap ones. Save the good ones for the weekends and cheaper ones for the 30-60min rides. I wish someone told be about the better bib shorts thing sooner when I was diving into the longer rides

remember to have fun while you train
Rule #10 // It never gets easier, you just go faster.
Old 05-09-17, 06:12 PM
Bmach

Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Liked 264 Times in 162 Posts
If you have done 32 you will be good for 50. Just don't go all out at the start.
Old 05-09-17, 07:39 PM
Beachgrad05
Just Keep Pedaling

Bikes: 99 Schwinn Mesa GS MTB, 15 Trek Domane 5.9 Dura-Ace, 17 Trek Emonda SL6 Pro & 18 Bianchi Vigorelli

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 34 Posts
Great to see you still riding. You still enjoying the FX?

Since you aren't on a road bike you might just need to make sure the fit still works for you i.e. Saddle height, fire/aft position and reach to bars.

Do you wear padded shorts? You might want to for 50 miles. If you have not used you do want to start breaking them in before the big day.
Old 05-09-17, 10:13 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
It's 50 miles, and it's really flat. Think less. Ride more-- saddle time is more important than anything else right now. Don't worry about pace, don't be intimidated by the distance. You're likely to be surprised by what you can do.
Old 05-10-17, 08:56 AM
dr_lha

Bikes: 2016 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross v5, 2015 Ritchey Road Logic, 1998 Specialized Rockhopper, 2017 Raleigh Grand Prix

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 374 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by americanrecluse
Can you recommend good ways to spend my time between now and June 4?
Ride between 25-40 miles as many times as you can.
Old 05-10-17, 09:23 AM
NoGears

Bikes: Kona Big Unit Single Speed, Kona Private Jake Single Speed, Jamis Renegade Elite

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Organized and group rides tend to push me to be able to ride further than I thought I could. Or maybe motivate is a better word. Go out...have fun. Ride at your own pace. Take breaks as needed even if it's not at a rest stop. Keep up with hydration. Super important. Nutrition as well. Try for 75-100 calories per hour. Small snacks, gels, candy, drink mix...whatever you prefer. Just avoid anything heavy or stomach filling. Nothing worse than getting about 3/4 through a long ride and hitting the wall.
Old 05-10-17, 02:07 PM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
Do you like riding in crowds? That's another wrinkle that ride introduces - I'm not sure how many people sign up but you're going to get the usual racer-boy idiots along side less confident riders on a fairly narrow bike path. Hopefully they do a staggered start to minimize the crowding.

I share the opinions expressed above - if you can do 30, you can do 50! Just get some time in the saddle between now and then and don't sweat the details.
Old 05-10-17, 02:19 PM
Yendor72

Bikes: 2016 Trek Emonda SL, 2016 Framed Wolftrax

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
I agree, it's mental at this point. If you can do 30 you can do 60. And since this is only 50 you got it in the bag.
Old 05-10-17, 07:04 PM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
Originally Posted by Yendor72
I agree, it's mental at this point. If you can do 30 you can do 60. And since this is only 50 you got it in the bag.
I agree. I will just echo what has already been posted. Ride your pace, hydrate and eat and enjoy the ride. Lots of fun.
Old 05-10-17, 08:15 PM
bgraham111

Bikes: 1996 Specialized Hardrock Sport FS, 2011 Fuji Newest 1.0, 2015 GRC-Single Gecko, 2016 Waterford RS-22

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What ever you can do in a week you can do in a day. Ride and ride and ride some more, but you'll be fine (maybe a little tired and sore, but fine).
Old 05-11-17, 02:51 PM
RECfromPA

Bikes: 2016 Rivendell Joe Appaloosa, 2017 Handsome Cycles She-Devil

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I had such a good time on my first long ride with a group (I've only done that one, but am signed up for another).

Let's say there's a rest area every 15 miles. Think of it not as a 50 mile ride, but as three 15 mile rides. You can rest at each rest stop enough to feel that you can go another 15 miles. Before you know it, you're at the end. At least that's how I felt.

Have fun with your challenge.

Roberta
Old 05-15-17, 02:23 PM
americanrecluse

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Beachgrad05
Great to see you still riding. You still enjoying the FX?
Yes! I still love my bike. Took a good long break from riding right after I bought it - had knee replacement surgery and man, if anyone offers you a new knee, take it!

Thanks all for the recommendations and encouragement! Unfortunately I learned that I have to have a couple small surgeries this summer and the first is five days before this ride! I don't think I'm going to make it, alas.

Next time, though!
Old 05-15-17, 02:49 PM
Snuts
Mid Tour!

Bikes: Marin Muirwoods Racked out for this years Tour, Norco Indi 4 racked out from last years tour, Giant Defi II for week-end ripps.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Do the 50 miles before the surgery.

You didn't want to hear that option.
Now a more serious note. Enjoy your cycling. Do what you can, when you can every mile is good for you.

-Snuts-
Old 05-15-17, 08:32 PM
ericy
Señor Member

Bikes: Giant OCR2, Trek DS 8.3

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 416 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 32 Posts
The only things I worry about when riding that kind of distance is how is my butt going to feel at the end of it all. The other thing is to eat/drink enough at your rest stops to make sure you don't bonk - these are the kind of distances where that can happen if you aren't careful. You don't eat a lot - just small snacks of easily digestible stuff. Different people have different preferences, but my own suggestion is to stay away from dairy while on the ride - it can block your stomach from easily absorbing fluids.
Old 07-01-17, 11:55 AM
americanrecluse

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks so much for all the good suggestions! I'm recovered from my surgery enough to start riding my bike. I signed up for another 50-mile ride (Bike the Coast), so all your tips will be put into use!
Old 07-02-17, 02:13 PM
dagray

Bikes: Orbea Orca,Raleigh Talus 29er, Centurion Le Mans 12 speed

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 42 Posts
Remember on those organized rides to use the rest stops provided. Maybe not as relief stations, but as a place to stretch, refill supplies (water, and food), get a light snack (enough to hold you to the next station).

Don't eat or drink too much before you start, but make sure you eat/drink enough.

Make sure your cycling clothing fits well (shoes, shorts, jersey, helmet, gloves) as there is nothing worse than having loose fitting shorts cause a saddle sore.

Have fun (this is most important).