Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Are the expensive options worth it?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-17, 01:19 PM
rickyk76

Bikes: Cannondale Slate; Crust Evasion

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm looking at spec'ing out parts for a build and I'm looking to see where to put my money. I see the Chris King headset is quite popular, but at $150 I have to wonder if it's worth it. What does the Chris King get you that the Cane Creek 40 doesn't? Same with bottom brackets. What does the more expensive $150 bottom bracket get you that the standard Shimano BB doesn't?
Old 05-13-17, 01:27 PM
john_mct

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Sometimes...not in those two specific cases in my opinion. Pretty vague question/concept. Some people enjoy fixing up and riding old bikes, some people prefer single speed and therefore don't find normal drivetrain expenses worth it, some people are fat and need to spend more on heavy duty wheels, some people find reason to spend a lot of money to ride really light bikes, some people spend similar amounts of money to ride titanium ones...Spend what you can justify to get the end result you enjoy riding.
Old 05-13-17, 01:43 PM
rickyk76

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I guess that's what I'm asking, john_mct, in these two cases what are the benefits of the expensive options versus the standard options? Do they improve performance? Lighter? Etc.
Old 05-13-17, 01:43 PM
TenSpeedV2

Bikes: Felt TK2, Felt Z5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by rickyk76
I'm looking at spec'ing out parts for a build and I'm looking to see where to put my money. I see the Chris King headset is quite popular, but at $150 I have to wonder if it's worth it. What does the Chris King get you that the Cane Creek 40 doesn't? Same with bottom brackets. What does the more expensive $150 bottom bracket get you that the standard Shimano BB doesn't?
Before you drop the coin on a Chris King, be sure to check these out as an option. Less money than a CK & something the mechanics that I know prefer over the CK.

https://www.canecreek.com/products/headsets/110
Old 05-13-17, 01:57 PM
trail_monkey

Bikes: Soma B Side, Soma Wolverine, Salsa Fargo

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 15 Posts
I guess that's what I'm asking, john_mct, in these two cases what are the benefits of the expensive options versus the standard options? Do they improve performance? Lighter? Etc.
I got Cane Creek headsets on several of my bikes and for the money you cannot beat them. When I built my Wolverine last November I bought a used Chris King headset from my bike shop mechanic that was in like new condition for $50. I can tell absolutely no difference between my Cane Creek 40 headset or this Chris King which would have been three times the price when it was new. But here's something to consider. I guarantee you if my Chris King headset craps out on me, even though it's probably 10 years old and I bought it used, I can send it back to Chris King and they will fix it and warranty it and send it back to me. I know that because I've talked to other people that have bought used bikes off Craigslist that had Chris King headsets in them and Chris King gladly warrantied and repaired or replaced the worn headset even know the owners were not the original owners. Maybe Cane Creek would do the same thing I don't know. But it's pretty obvious to me that the folks at Chris King take so much pride in their stuff that they won't even question a defective part
Old 05-13-17, 02:03 PM
JagR

Bikes: S-Works Tarmac 2017 - TREK Madone - Cannondale CAPO

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What kind of bike are you building and what do you plan on using it for? Just picked up a new build today and might be able to help...
Old 05-13-17, 02:33 PM
speshelite
Banned

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It depends on your budget.
Old 05-13-17, 02:41 PM
coominya

Bikes: Giant ToughRoad Giant talon

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 705 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
I see the Chris King headset is quite popular, but at $150 I have to wonder if it's worth it.
If you have to ask, then no it's not worth it, live within your budget.
Old 05-13-17, 02:43 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18424 Post(s)
Liked 15,581 Times in 7,337 Posts
More expensive=better. Just look at Rapha.
Old 05-13-17, 02:50 PM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
Read this thread over on Velocipede:

https://www.velocipedesalon.com/foru...set-35963.html

Buy nice buy it once....buy cheap, buy it again, and again...

Originally Posted by TenSpeedV2
Before you drop the coin on a Chris King, be sure to check these out as an option. Less money than a CK & something the mechanics that I know prefer over the CK.

https://www.canecreek.com/products/headsets/110
My LBS loves them and reccy'd them for my play-in-the-mud dropbar build
Old 05-13-17, 03:16 PM
Stucky
Old Fart

Bikes: '97 Klein Quantum '16 Gravity Knockout

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
The only real difference is in the aesthetics/snob-appeal/bragging rights/one's mind.

As far as any noticeable difference in ride performance, feel or durability? No difference whatsoever; and in fact, the cheaper one would likely last longer. High-end cycling crap is more about the sizzle than the steak.
Old 05-13-17, 03:33 PM
rickyk76

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JagR
What kind of bike are you building and what do you plan on using it for? Just picked up a new build today and might be able to help...
An adventure bike for on and off-road touring. Still deciding on everything, so nothing's set in stone.

Originally Posted by coominya
If you have to ask, then no it's not worth it, live within your budget.
I'm able to afford it; my budget isn't the question. I prefer not to spend the money if it gets me no additional value/benefit.
Old 05-13-17, 03:33 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18378 Post(s)
Liked 4,512 Times in 3,354 Posts
For headsets, I have a few criteria that I look for.
  • < $50 (or so)
  • Aluminum Alloy Cups
  • Cartridges (for now, may go back to loose bearings later).
  • Cups should be designed so that they shed water rather than trapping water.
I'm not stuck on any big brand names, but I'd tend to some brand rather than no brand.

One problem I encounter is a limited selection of 1" threaded and 1" threadless headsets.

One recent build has a Ritchey Scuzzy Logic (1" threadless, sealed cartridge) headset.
My current build I'm working on will get a Stronglight headset (1" threaded, sealed cartridge).

Of course, one of my concerns is that I'll get a headset that I'll never be able to find replacement parts for, and will have to dump the whole thing.

I don't believe headsets really affect pedalling resistance, although perhaps they affect stability.

Bottom Brackets?

Hmmm, too much variety to have a favorite. I do like the Campy Ultratorque. Even with the Ultratorque, I'm wondering if the SR are missing seals that the lower ones have, and thus a Chorus or similar may have better longevity.
Old 05-13-17, 03:54 PM
trail_monkey

Originally Posted by Stucky
The only real difference is in the aesthetics/snob-appeal/bragging rights/one's mind.

As far as any noticeable difference in ride performance, feel or durability? No difference whatsoever; and in fact, the cheaper one would likely last longer. High-end cycling crap is more about the sizzle than the steak.
Spot on info there. A lot of the guys I ride with that build their own bikes all have Chris King headsets. And personally I think it's just to have that shiny Chrome and stainless steel bling on their head tube instead of a black Cane Creek. Like I said in my earlier post I have both on different bikes and they all do the job and they all do it very well.
Old 05-13-17, 04:26 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
What does the Chris King get you that the Cane Creek 40 doesn't?
Chris King is comparable to Cane Creek 110 series, not 40 series.

40 and 110 refer to the length of the warranty.

Chris King gets you a gaudy KING KING KING KING KING logo all over the place if you are into that. Cane Creek's styling is a lot more subdued.

Higher-end headsets have better seals, smoother races, lighter weight components, etc. Just because you can't see the insides doesn't mean there is no difference.

-Tim-
Old 05-13-17, 04:28 PM
skidder
Pennylane Splitter

Bikes: Yes

Quoted: 1804 Post(s)
Liked 1,446 Times in 995 Posts
The best example is in complete bikes. Road bikes are available from $100 to $10,000 in the shops in my area. The $100 variety would be OK for riding to the store, along the beach, etc. As you move up the price scale you get better components and a better quality ride. At about $1,500 - $2,000 you reach a critical point where anything more and you start paying for some specific attribute - lighter weight, lighter wheels, better overall aerodynamics, a specific use bike (tri-bikes are an example) - but 'overall better' is probably not a factor in the premium price.

I use Cane Creek 40s on a few builds I've done - great, solid headsets that I've never had a problem with. If I was to building a cheaper utility bike for riding to the store or beach, I could get away with a 10 series, or even something cheaper. If I was going to build an off-road bike I'd probably spring for a 110 series with its (Advertised) better quality materials and processing, and '110 year warranty'. Chris King headsets are like the $10,000 bicycle - there's no real reason for me to pay that much extra; they are nice, and very well made, but the cheaper Cane creek 40 has been doing just fine for me.
Old 05-13-17, 04:32 PM
skidder
Pennylane Splitter

Bikes: Yes

Quoted: 1804 Post(s)
Liked 1,446 Times in 995 Posts
Bottom Brackets - same thing as headsets I mention above. Rather than the modern BB30s, I've been using square taper BBs on my builds since they are proven (to me) workhorses, they are 'sealed cartridges' (very few dirt/water problems), the frame I have are built for them, and I can get a real nice one for $30. Only had one fail, and it was easy to replace. YMMV
Old 05-13-17, 05:00 PM
Stucky
Old Fart

Bikes: '97 Klein Quantum '16 Gravity Knockout

Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by trail_monkey
Spot on info there. A lot of the guys I ride with that build their own bikes all have Chris King headsets. And personally I think it's just to have that shiny Chrome and stainless steel bling on their head tube instead of a black Cane Creek. Like I said in my earlier post I have both on different bikes and they all do the job and they all do it very well.
Yesiree. I like the look of the shiny chrome stuff myself, just as I like those colored anodized aluminum hubs, but I am NOT spending that kinda money for something i don't even look at when I'm riding. I think the cheaper stuff is black these days because at some point in the past they came out with black stuff as the "new and different" that everyone just had to have, so it's the thing now. Now the high-end is switching back to shiny....before long, watch, everything will be chrome again (Yay!). High-end cycling is a 2-wheeled fashion industry!
Old 05-13-17, 05:14 PM
trail_monkey

Originally Posted by Stucky
High-end cycling is a 2-wheeled fashion industry!
Ain't that the truth!
Old 05-13-17, 05:15 PM
Snuts
Mid Tour!

Bikes: Marin Muirwoods Racked out for this years Tour, Norco Indi 4 racked out from last years tour, Giant Defi II for week-end ripps.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
1) Touring day-in, day-out
2) Bling, Bling
3) Durability and replace ability, the day of a failure.

Pick any two.

-Snuts-,
(on tour)
Old 05-13-17, 05:27 PM
kickstart

Bikes: 2005 Gazelle Golfo, 1935 Raleigh Sport, 1970 Robin Hood sport, 1974 Schwinn Continental, 1984 Ross MTB/porteur, 2013 Flying Piegon path racer, 2014 Gazelle Toer Populair T8

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Marcus_Ti
Buy nice buy it once....buy cheap, buy it again, and again...
Sure, but it's not always easy to determine where the dividing line is, as there's more to choose from than the $10 ebay special, and $150 prestige brand.
Old 05-13-17, 05:47 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7653 Post(s)
Liked 3,481 Times in 1,838 Posts
I have heard very few people try to justify their $150 headsets and bottom brackets. None of them has convinced me yet.

At some point the value of the thing is based on image, not product.

Is a Chris King headset really good? Yup. Is it better than any other? Considering how simple a headset is, I doubt it. It's not like they have proprietary technology or use materials no one else can procure.

The only thing a Chris King headset has which none other can have is the logo.

Are ceramic bearing bottom brackets better? Every knowledgeable person I have ever talked to and every rational account I have ever read says the benefit of ceramic bearings are obtained only at rpms thousand of time what a cyclist can produce.

Hope and White Industries seem to produce bottom brackets which work as well and last as long as any other. Shimano Hollowtech II is my personal favorite---they will not last quite as long ... but are we talking 25,000 as opposed to 60,000 miles? We are talking an eighth of the price.

Also, BBs tend to let the rider know they are failing. You won't have to walk home.

Same with headset. When has Anyone experienced, sudden, unheralded, catastrophic headset failure? It just doesn't happen.

I have the original stock headset in my 1983 Cannondale. it has never been over-tightened or run loose. I assume it will Eventually wear down, but not as quick as a bottom bracket which gets a lot more stress and a lot worse wear from silt and such.

I put a $10 FSA in my 1984 Raleigh---its headset had been run loose and tight and was a little notchy. If I have to replace it twice in 20,000 miles I will be shocked ... but shocked for $20 more as opposed to $150 I can survive.

And my bike would not be any faster, smoother, lighter, or more enjoyable to ride with $300 worth of BB and headset.

The only way for you to be sure would be to build two identical bikes with the different parts and alternate rides.

Likely, if you did that, neither part would fail on either bike, and nothing would be proven.

Last edited by Maelochs; 05-13-17 at 05:50 PM.
Old 05-13-17, 06:28 PM
catgita

Bikes: Fitz randonneuse, Trek Superfly/AL, Tsunami SS, Bacchetta, HPV Speed Machine, Rans Screamer

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I have tried to save money on headsets many times, but always wind up regretting it. A failing or crappy headset is not immediately obvious. The handling of the bike gets subtly worse, feels twitchy, or like "pushing with a rope" as I like to put it, especially as you are limping home exhausted after a long ride. This being said, there are many mid range headsets available these days that are excellent, if you don't need great weather sealing. I use high polish CC 110 on my best bike, which sees weather. Gave up on KK as overpriced ugly logos.

Bottom bracket? Seals, maybe slightly more efficiency under heavy loads on my SKF with its large balls, and will never need to be serviced, ever. But yes, you could replace cheap ones every other year for decades and come out ahead. We do have a disposable society, after all.

Worth it? Well... what else are you going to spend your money on?
Old 05-13-17, 06:40 PM
rickyk76

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
@Maelochs, that's pretty much along my train of thinking, but wasn't sure if maybe there were some unknown benefits I was missing.
Old 05-13-17, 06:41 PM
rgconner

Bikes: Curtis Inglis Road, 80's Sekai touring fixie

Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
Bought Record HS and Bracket on the bike in 2001.

Still going strong. Pump fresh grease into the headset (What... your $30 headset does not have a greaseport?) and it is smooth as silk.

Have never once heard a squeak out of the BB, even when I was 265.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.