Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Need help with pedals/shoes: clipless vs toe clips vs platforms

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-12, 05:11 PM
metroplex

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I currently have a cheap set of regular pedals that can accept toe clips, but I don't use them. I looked at clipless pedals but can't figure out how they work. What are some brands of clipless pedals that I should look at? I do all road cycling, with some gravel/dirt riding but nothing that I'd consider mountain biking.

What kind of shoes do I need, and how do the cleats work?
Are toe clips better/easier to use?
Will I need to buy another pair of shoes just for cycling?

What happens when I am trying to find the side of the clipless pedal that accepts the cleats? Do I just spin the pedal? Wouldn't that slow me down each time I had to start up from a stop?
Old 07-18-12, 07:20 PM
mac4095
Buffalo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
All depends on what type of clipless pedal you go with.

I would say no.

If you want clipless, yes.

What happens when I am trying to find the side of the clipless pedal that accepts the cleats?
Do I just spin the pedal?
If you have single sided pedals, yes.

Wouldn't that slow me down each time I had to start up from a stop?
Not necessarily.

Hope this helps.
Old 07-18-12, 07:24 PM
mac4095
Buffalo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Missed one.

What are some brands of clipless pedals that I should look at?
Depends on what type of clipless and how much you want to spend.
Old 07-18-12, 08:41 PM
abstractform20

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
platforms with tennis shoes and jeans.

tell em grant sent ya
Old 07-18-12, 09:01 PM
mac4095
Buffalo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by abstractform20

tell em grant sent ya
Very well thought out and helpful. You get a gold star.
Old 07-18-12, 09:38 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8287 Post(s)
Liked 9,064 Times in 4,483 Posts
If you want to try clipless you will need shoes and pedals. You also have to decide between road or mtb style. Mtb style shoes are easier to walk in and usually the pedals are the same on both sides.

You can spend a little or a lot either way.

You do know that the cleat on the shoe snaps onto the pedal, and you release by twisting your heel out, right?

In my opinion toe clips suck and I was glad when clipless pedals came out.
Old 07-18-12, 10:03 PM
cashmonee

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just went through this process myself. Here is what I learned:

--You mentioned gravel/dirt. If you are going to be walking around in your cycling shoes, I would highly recommend mountain bike shoes because they will have extra grips to walk on. Road shoes are just the cleats and a heal with a slick sole.

--Some pedals are two sided and some are not. However, single sided are usually weighted so the clip side ends up I believe.

--Major brands I looked at were Shimano, Look, and Speedplay. There are more though, so don't necessarily limit yourself to those three.

I have only mentioned clipless because that is what suited my needs. It really depends on how far you are riding, why you are riding, and what you want to accomplish. Clipless would probably not be the best for short commuting rides.
Old 07-18-12, 10:05 PM
SlowOlympian

Bikes: 2010 Specialized Allez

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Lots of threads on this. Search is your friend. Another one seems to pop up regularly.

-What are some brands of clipless pedals that I should look at? I do all road cycling, with some gravel/dirt riding but nothing that I'd consider mountain biking.
Shimano's mountain pedals(Shimano SPD) will work well if youre stepping in mud regularly. Theyre double sided so maybe getting in is easier.If not, Shimano SPD-SL(road version) will suit you. I have these and like them a lot. The road version has wider platforms to distribute the pressure more. Less sore feet. Theyre one sided, but weighted so they sit at an angle, Slip the nose of the cleat in, and step down. youre in! to get out, twist your heel outward. you're out.
Other good brands are Look Keo(similar to shimano SPD-SL) and Speedplays(double sided)

-What kind of shoes do I need, and how do the cleats work?
If you buy at a local shop, they'll set you up with everything you need. certain shoes work with certain pedals. There is some compatibility between them, but I'm not the person to ask. Only ever used SPD-SL's, and am very happy with them. I highly suggest buying local. you dont want to spend the money and find out the shoes don't fit! Pretty important to have shoes that fit you perfectly.

-Are toe clips better/easier to use?
Easier at the very first maybe. You'll fall once when you come to a stop with clipless. Sit with your shoulders in a door jamb or against a wall and practice clipping in and out. Clipless will also be easier buying local because they will set up the cleats on the shoes for you(theyre adjustable). It looked too complicated to me at first to get a good position. Not hard though. Clipless are much better overall. They secure your foot, you can effectively use more of the pedal rotation for power, and I found super high cadences(130rpm) feel much better/safer than on toe clips.

-Will I need to buy another pair of shoes just for cycling
Yep. But with the extra vents keeping your feet cool, its definitely worth it. Plus the bike shoes are meant for biking. It can be annoying if you're commuting by bike. I take a backpack with walking shoes and my bike lock if I am commuting. On this note, (this is to the best of my knowledge, various parts may be incorrect) Shimano makes a SPD verson pedal with a platform pedal on the opposite side, so for rides, you use clipless, commuting you can use the platform side with regular shoes.

-What happens when I am trying to find the side of the clipless pedal that accepts the cleats? Do I just spin the pedal? Wouldn't that slow me down each time I had to start up from a stop?
SPD-SL's sit like / so you put the nose of the cleat in the top of the pedal, and step down, no pedal flipping. When you're(i was) new to it, sometimes it might take a try or 2 to get in. After some practice, it'll take just one try. some people can do it without looking. i haven't mastered that yet. With Speedplays or Shimano SPD's i THINK it just sits level. not too sure though. As far as slowing you down, maybe for .5 - 3 seconds, then you can take off like a rocket. With Clipless you can pull up on one pedal, while pressing down on the other when you're standing. It means you can accelerate in a higher gear without problems, which can save you a shift or 2. Once clipped in, you can accelerate just as fast as cars. Well, I can, but light weight is on my side. unless its a lead foot next to you.

Also, climbing out of the saddle is much easier on those super steep grades is easier for the same reason as accelerating.

Clipless is definitely the way to go. Pricey at first, but WELL worth it. My 105 level SPD-SL's and basic shoes ran me about $200. Best upgrade I've done.
Old 07-19-12, 02:23 PM
digitalusa

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Another alternative would be power grip, if you don't want to spend $200 or ride with regular shoes.
I use clipless for my mtb, but for the road bike, I use power grip because I like to walk normally when I am at the break. If you are racing, then definitely clipless is a must.
Old 07-19-12, 02:57 PM
metroplex

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This is some great feedback!! I took down lots of notes, did some searching, and talked to some of the hardcore bikers at work for more feedback. They recommended I try the SPD pedals/cleats. I ordered the SH56 multi-directional cleats with a pair of Shimano A530 pedals to use with Shimano's M087G shoes.
Old 07-20-12, 06:26 AM
rebel1916

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by metroplex
This is some great feedback!! I took down lots of notes, did some searching, and talked to some of the hardcore bikers at work for more feedback. They recommended I try the SPD pedals/cleats. I ordered the SH56 multi-directional cleats with a pair of Shimano A530 pedals to use with Shimano's M087G shoes.
I'm surprised that hardcore bikers knew anything about bicycle pedals. Usually they are more into riding from bar to bar, pillaging and dealing/using methamphetamines. Also, the Rivendell joke was funny. On a serious note, be careful of those multi release cleats. The are great for just riding along if you aren't used to clipless, but if/when you get to the point where you are really hammering I'm not sure I would trust them 100%. It might be worth it to invest another $20 in a set of the standard release cleats when you get comfortable with the new pedals.
Old 07-20-12, 06:34 AM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 2,180 Times in 1,470 Posts
Rather than ask on a forum. visit a good bike store and ask a salesperson. Try some on and see how the cleats/shoes work and the various pedal systems.

Do you live near a good road bike store?
Old 07-20-12, 09:59 PM
SkyDog75

Bikes: Bianchi San Mateo and a few others

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by rebel1916
On a serious note, be careful of those multi release cleats... It might be worth it to invest another $20 in a set of the standard release cleats when you get comfortable with the new pedals.
The A530 pedals happen to come with SH51 cleats (standard release), so he won't have to spend that twenty bucks. :-)
Old 07-21-12, 06:11 AM
Myosmith
Lover of Old Chrome Moly

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 17 Posts
Another vote for the Shimano dual sided pedals like the A530. I've got them on both my road and my touring bike and love them. I ride with walkable MTB shoes and sometimes will clip out in stop and go traffic and ride the flat side, then flip-n-clip when I get open road. Some people complain about having to flip the pedal, but with a little practice it becomes intuitive. If you miss the flip, big deal, pedal on the flat a few strokes then flip again. It's also nice to be able to jump on the bike and ride comfortably in street shoes for recreational rides with the family, or quick errands.
Old 07-21-12, 06:40 AM
daven1986

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I love my Crank Bros Egg Beater pedals and shimano MTB shoes
Old 07-21-12, 06:51 AM
metroplex

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I talked to some of the road bikers/racers at work and they also prefer the platform/SPD pedals for the same reasons mentioned by Myosmith. One person had the Wellgo versions on his Pinarello, so that was enough to convince me to try that style on my bike.

Yeah, I did get the SH51 with the A530 pedals. I read lots of glowing reviews of the SH56 though, so I thought I'd try them first. The main difference seems to be the tail end of the cleats. The SH56 is shorter, so it probably makes it easier to release.

Do I want to start with the pedal tension set on maximum or minimum?

Shimano said that their M087G MTB shoes would come with the cleat nuts, but a few reviews said that the clea nuts were missing with their shoes. I did not get cleat nuts with my SH56 or with the A530/SH51 box. It seems weird to me that Shimano is nickel and diming by not including cleat nuts even with the cleat replacements.
Old 07-21-12, 07:51 AM
roadiejorge 
stole your bike

Bikes: Orbea Orca, Ridley Compact

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 4201 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by metroplex
I currently have a cheap set of regular pedals that can accept toe clips, but I don't use them. I looked at clipless pedals but can't figure out how they work. What are some brands of clipless pedals that I should look at? I do all road cycling, with some gravel/dirt riding but nothing that I'd consider mountain biking.
If you're doing road riding then I would take the plunge and use road shoes and pedals. Shimano, Look, Time, and Speedplay are the main pedal companies and offer a pretty wide selection of products across different price ranges. All of the companies mentioned with the exception of Speedplay use a three bolt pattern which means the cleat is triangular in shape and the locking mechanism is located on the pedal. Speedplay has a rectangular cleat but has the mechanism located on the pedal. While all cleats have float (the range of lateral movement your ankle can travel), Speedplay offers the most float. This is important for people with knee issues as their foot/knee alignment isn't as restricted.

You will need road shoes. Sidi, Specialized, Lake, Giro, and Shimano are some companies to look at. Go to a shop and try some on as some shoes have narrower toe boxes than others and you want to get something that fits correctly to avoid foot issues in the long run. If you decide on a pair have someone at the shop set them up because getting the cleat alignment correct is important and harder to do alone. The cleat attaches to the bottom of a road shoe with screw, the cleat in turn is locked into the pedal using a spring system which secures the shoe to the pedal. Turning your ankle outward releases the cleat from the pedal.

It depends on your intended use. If you're looking to use regular shoes and aren't interested in road shoes then toe clips are the way to go. If you're looking to ride for fitness then clipless pedals are the way to go. Road shoes have a stiffer sole which prevents energy loss by the bending of the sole of your shoe which is what happens when you use sneakers or other soft soled shoes. Being clipped in also makes it better to pedal in circles meaning you push down and pull up during each pedal stroke.

Yes but this depends on your intended use as well. If during or after your rides you plan on doing plenty of walking then perhaps MTB shoes/pedals are the way to go; they're better than using soft soled shoes and toe clips but the pedals have less surface area and generally speaking the soles of MTB shoes aren't as stiff. I know quite a few road riders who opt for this and it works fine for them. Personally I prefer road shoes and the benefits that come from using them. There are also MTB pedals which have a standard platform pedal one one side and an clipless mechanism on the other. As for walking in road shoes it only becomes a problem if you're going to walk a good distance. Walking around a short distance hasn't been a problem for me as I have cleat covers to protect my cleats and provide some traction. If I plan on walking around then I put some flip flops in my jersey pocket...during the summer of course.

What happens when I am trying to find the side of the clipless pedal that accepts the cleats? Do I just spin the pedal? Wouldn't that slow me down each time I had to start up from a stop?
Yes you flip the pedal up and clip in. Practice makes perfect, this is especially true of pedals with one point of engagement. Once you use them enough you'll know exactly where to place your foot to clip in without looking. Speedplay has two points of engagement meaning you can clip into both sides of the pedal while Crank Brothers Eggbeaters offer four points of engagement but sacrifice a good stable pedal platform (note: Eggbeaters are MTB pedals). I've been using single sided clipless for a long time so I sometimes clip in faster than some folk using standard platform pedals.
Old 07-21-12, 07:59 AM
FrenchFit 
The Left Coast, USA

Bikes: Bulls, Bianchi, Koga, Trek, Miyata

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by abstractform20

tell em grant sent ya
The only comment in this thread worth reading.