Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Drivers on cell phones

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Drivers on cell phones

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-13, 08:55 AM
vol

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 12 Posts
Drivers on cell phones

The day before yesterday when I was riding on the 6th ave. in Manhattan, near an intersection where the light was about to turn red, I slowed down, and I saw with my own eyes a driver in his car with window open was talking on his cell phone---I even heard clearly him saying "...nine o'clock..."---while driving his car directly toward me from my right side. He was totally concentrated on his call and not looking at all (or looking without seeing), apparently. Thankfully we were both slow. I could have patted on his car, if not his shoulder (almost) to alert him. This is how this kind of tragedy happens, so easily.
Old 10-24-13, 09:43 AM
MagicHour

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Peds too - was riding the other night and I had 2 ped dog walkers ON THEIR PHONES within about 2:00 min of each other walk blithely across my path in a certain Brooklyn bike lane without looking up. I suspect it will have to get really ugly first (AKA many deaths and maimings) before the public scourge of cell phone use/inattentive vehicle operation (and walking) changes in any meaningful way . On a side note I travelled to Norway and Copenhagen, Denmark this past summer, and observed almost no peds walking around looking down at their phones, unlike in NYC.

Last edited by MagicHour; 10-24-13 at 09:47 AM.
Old 10-24-13, 10:28 AM
howsteepisit

Bikes: Canyon Endurace SLX 8Di2

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 510 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 14 Posts
From the report:

Five vehicles were involved in the crash, which eye-witnesses said was caused when a driver in an SUV raced through the intersection at speeds as high as 90mph while on his phone.

But authorities said they are still investigating whether cellphone use, alcohol or drugs were involved.

Being as the guy was driving some 90 mph, and the fact that the police have not yet determined if the cell phone was a cause or partial cause of the accident, what we have here in yet one more arm waving irrational report of a non-incident in New York, which is related to a totally different non-cycling incident in California, which may or may not have been caused by cell phone use.

Its stuff like this that results in cycling advocate being dismissed as unrealistic nut jobs.

Don't mistake me, I have no issue with banning cell phone use while driving. Despite the lack of studies showing increases in the accident rate due to cell phone use while driving, there are sufficient studies that in my opinion show an unacceptable risk with a corresponding lack of benefit to cell phone use while driving. But the incogent irrational arm waving serves no purpose other than to alienate those who are not ardent cyclists.

Edit tying to fix fonts
Old 10-24-13, 10:34 AM
achoo

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Window open?

Yell, "Get off the phone when driving, MORON!" loud enough for the person on the other end of the call to hear.
Old 10-24-13, 10:38 AM
italktocats

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i dont mind them THAT much, as you can see them holding it, and lack of brain is always invisible
Old 10-24-13, 10:46 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,538 Times in 1,047 Posts
Originally Posted by MagicHour
Peds too - was riding the other night and I had 2 ped dog walkers ON THEIR PHONES within about 2:00 min of each other walk blithely across my path in a certain Brooklyn bike lane without looking up.
Oh the horror, pedestrians using a cell phone! And you lived to tell the tale. Amazing!
Old 10-24-13, 10:50 AM
MagicHour

Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Oh the horror, pedestrians using a cell phone! And you lived to tell the tale. Amazing!
It is when peoples faces are buried in their phones looking down blindly walking into streets, bike paths, other people walking etc.
Old 10-24-13, 11:02 AM
FenderTL5

Bikes: Trek 7.3FX, Diamondback Edgewood hybrid, KHS Montana

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I could be wrong, it wouldn't be the first time.
However, I'm beginning to think that the cellphone providers (carriers) have already engaged in a CYA maneuver to counter the inevitable class-action lawsuit. This is their version of the "warning label" telling the world, and more importantly the trial lawyers, that there is no case against them for providing the product that is being abused.
It's the same as the surgeon general warning on cigarettes or government warning on booze.
Old 10-24-13, 11:20 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Liked 1,538 Times in 1,047 Posts
Originally Posted by MagicHour
It is when peoples faces are buried in their phones looking down blindly walking into streets, bike paths, other people walking etc.
Is it safe to say that you look where you are going while cycling or walking? Perhaps that might explain your escape from the peril of "distracted" walkers.
Old 10-24-13, 11:24 AM
MagicHour

Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Is it safe to say that you look where you are going while cycling or walking? Perhaps that might explain your escape from the peril of "distracted" walkers.
Yes that's probably it....you are right.
Old 10-24-13, 12:04 PM
Chris516
24-Speed Machine

Bikes: 2003 Specialized Allez 24-Speed Road Bike

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
To me ANYONE using a cell phone while traveling is a person to be wary of. That includes motorists, pedestrians, and cyclists'. But, With the 'hands free' legislation, those cell phone users that happen to be driving are even more dangerous. So, I think the only thing cyclists' can do, is assume every motorist is an idiot when the motorist sees' a cyclist.
Old 10-24-13, 12:32 PM
howsteepisit

Not only do I assume that every motorist is a moron, I also assume that all pedestrians are morons and distracted, its what I think is defensive riding.
Old 10-24-13, 01:22 PM
Number400

Bikes: Cannondale Slate 105 and T2 tandem, 2008 Scott Addict R4, Raleigh SC drop bar tandem

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
We were nearly rear ended twice yesterday by the same driver who was staring at her crotch while driving.

Read recently that while it is illegal to text while driving here in PA that it's OK if you are just dialing a number to make a call. WTF??

https://dc.streetsblog.org/2013/10/23...d-pedestrians/
Old 10-24-13, 06:53 PM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1316 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 59 Posts
Originally Posted by howsteepisit
But authorities said they are still investigating whether cellphone use, alcohol or drugs were involved.

Being as the guy was driving some 90 mph, and the fact that the police have not yet determined if the cell phone was a cause or partial cause of the accident, what we have here in yet one more arm waving irrational report of a non-incident in New York, which is related to a totally different non-cycling incident in California, which may or may not have been caused by cell phone use.
Really, too dam hard to watch the video and note the witness that got passed by the killer (and nearly hit) who saw the killer on his cell phone while speeding and then the note that police said they saw signs of impairment from the killer at the scene plus another witness that noted the killer's apparent speech problems that did not appear to be from shock.

Maybe you think the killer running a red light is unknown as well.

Last edited by CB HI; 10-24-13 at 07:05 PM.
Old 10-24-13, 06:57 PM
howsteepisit

No I think its possible that since he was driving 90 mph the cell had little to do with the accident. I base this on the police statement from the article. For sure you now more than the investigating officers, CB, but I don't.
Old 10-24-13, 07:04 PM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

No I think its possible that since he was driving 90 mph the cell had little to do with the accident. I base this on the police statement from the article. For sure you now more than the investigating officers, CB, but I don't.
So you do not believe the witnesses or the police officer at the scene.

Nothing really happened until the jury comes back, right.

Why do you even believe the 90 mph speed, since that is also still under investigation.

Seems you choose to cherry pick the facts reported by witnesses and police to suit your disdain of BF members.
Old 10-24-13, 07:09 PM
howsteepisit

as you wish. I distain any linking of a low speed observation of a non event to a high speed deadly crash and implying they are anywhere near the same.
Old 10-24-13, 07:28 PM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

as you wish. I distain any linking of a low speed observation of a non event to a high speed deadly crash and implying they are anywhere near the same.
Is that because lower speed collisions never kill anybody?
Old 10-24-13, 09:37 PM
howsteepisit

No its because in the incident reported by the OP was a non-incident. My life is not nearly long enough to worry about all the things that I could hypothesize may cause an accident. You obviously have a lot more time on your hands than I do.
Old 10-24-13, 10:50 PM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

No its because in the incident reported by the OP was a non-incident. My life is not nearly long enough to worry about all the things that I could hypothesize may cause an accident. You obviously have a lot more time on your hands than I do.
Yet you have time for more post in this thread than I do.

I see no problem spending a little time looking at the causes of collisions that kill people, especially issues like cell phone use that kills across the board - cyclists, pedestrians and other motorist.

But feel free to keep your head in the sand.
Old 10-24-13, 11:06 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1434 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 219 Posts
Most humans are weak of will, codependent, wasteful, AND self important - cell phone abuse only shines a spotlight on those things. I saw a fellow the other day in his car sucking on the corner of his phone like a comforting teat - and he was only a few feet from leaving his home driveway! But I started generally hating people long before cell phones became prevalent. Now I can just tell my old friends "I told you so!"
Old 10-25-13, 07:15 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
For anyone involved in an accident while using a cell phone should automatically be fined $500. Then------------the fine should be doubled for each incident after that. If the call is that damned important, pull over park and make the call.
Old 10-25-13, 09:26 AM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1434 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 219 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
For anyone involved in an accident while using a cell phone should automatically be fined $500. Then------------the fine should be doubled for each incident after that. If the call is that damned important, pull over park and make the call.
I agree to attack the problem hard at the point of an accident. I don't believe laws preventing cellphone use are the answer but severe punishment - same as DUI - should be applied if an accident occurs.

Laws only cause the addicts to text with the phone in their laps. I much prefer them texting with the phone atop the steering wheel where they MIGHT see me in their peripheral vision. Reckless operation laws should cover any true abuse - same as any other distraction behind the wheel.

The only true partial solution is AA for phone users. It does make a difference for other addictions and substance abuse. Gotta stop people from WANTING to look at the phone all the time.
Old 10-25-13, 10:04 AM
howsteepisit

500 seems a bit light for that offense, I'd be good with $1000.
Old 10-25-13, 01:43 PM
CbadRider

Bikes: Specialized Allez, Specialized Sirrus

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I did some clean up. Just a reminder that picking a fight with other members is a violation of the Harassment guideline and not fun for other forum members to watch.

Forum Guidelines *click here*

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.