Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Rough 1989? Bianchi Giro

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Rough 1989? Bianchi Giro

Old 02-19-12, 08:39 PM
tmh657

Bikes: A few BSO's.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 26 Posts
Rough 1989? Bianchi Giro

I picked up this Bianchi even though the frame is rough it's my size and it's Columbus SLX, or so says the tubing sticker.

The PO said it was his rain bike, that is for sure. It has some rust spots but nothing too nasty and no dents. The down tube decals are gone.
I don't know if I should just ride it the way it is, repaint or powder coat. If I REALLY like the ride I plan to keep it for a long time. So far it has just been around the block.

I found a couple of threads but nothing that tells me for sure what year it is, what was stock on it and how high in the line up it was at the time. I am guessing near the top.

Anyone own one of these or something similar?

Old 02-19-12, 08:44 PM
mapleleafs-13 

Bikes: Pinarello Veneto, Pinarello Montello, Bianchi Celeste

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
if that in fact is actually really SLX then it would definitely be worth the repaint for sure. maybe a color change to something a little more bianchi....celeste plus, it adds resale value later on the road, just cause of the celeste but you don't have to repaint it that color.

but as far as determining the slx factor and model, i would ask bianchigirl on this one, she's not called bianchi girl for nothing.
Old 02-19-12, 09:10 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2924 Post(s)
Liked 2,916 Times in 1,488 Posts
Well well look at this. good thing I decided to scroll through one last time before bedtime.

According to the catalog the '89 Giro was in deed an SLX/SXP bike sharing the same frame w/ the Mondiale (top) and Super Leggera (2) for the top 3 of the line. now here is the tricky part, only the Giro came in a color other than Celeste and that was Matte black (OH and was georgous at the show). Since this actually has some of the Giro model decal I see no reason to doubt that it is a Giro amd the matte finish could explain the bikes lack of luster and shine.

All the good stuff seems to be gone, this bike came with a full Athena group with Synchro 2, a ITM bar and stem and Ambrosio rims.

I actually had a short exchange of PMs with T-Mar about frames like this morning. It seems Bianchi used a mixed SL/SP tubeset to gain their famous SuperSet frame design by ultilizing a SP DT and chainstays and SL everything else. that makes the bottom end stiffer but still keeps the bike light and vertically compliant. I would assume they did the same on their SLX/SPX frame. perhaps you could check real close or the helicoils when you over haul/replace the BB?

Hope this helps

OH BTW I had an '88 Super Leggera with SL/SP frame and Chorus and it was a fabulous bike, but alas we found a wee crack in the seatlug and I used it to upgrade to the MAX framed Proto.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk

Last edited by Bianchigirll; 02-19-12 at 09:14 PM.
Old 02-19-12, 10:09 PM
kvnmuadib

Bikes: 79-80 derosa 80 merckx 89 peugeot dolomites 93 bianchi tsx

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
clean and enjoy ..nice find ....repeat if necessary....ride it
Old 02-19-12, 10:15 PM
tmh657

Originally Posted by Bianchigirll
. perhaps you could check real close or the helicoils when you over haul/replace the BB?
I have read about looking in the tubes to tell if it is SLX but have not had a need to perform that type of inspection. I will research it. Most likely going to put something besides a 105 crank on there and appropriate bottom bracket. Hmm, wonder if it's English or Italian.
Old 02-19-12, 11:29 PM
rothenfield1

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
With SLX tubing, it would be considered a keeper, no matter the finish. From the pictures I’ve seen, the finish doesn’t look that bad; besides, the black looks quite striking. With a little C&V restoration, and an upgraded component group, this will be a keeper for sure. I likes.
Old 02-20-12, 12:05 AM
Ecrevisse

Bikes: Steel is real. All others need not apply.

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Based on the advice I received when I asked if I should repaint my Bianchi, I would say don't repaint it. Find Campagnolo Athena parts and rebuild it that way. And take care of the rust spots.
Old 02-20-12, 01:56 PM
tmh657

I found an ebay seller that is just up the road from me with a lot of tasty bits but buying a pice at a time is silly. I'll just have to look for a complete group and be patient. I will take it for a long spin this afternoon, wooohoooo.
https://www.ebay.com/sch/evifenocvt/m...id=p4340.l2562
Old 02-20-12, 03:34 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2924 Post(s)
Liked 2,916 Times in 1,488 Posts
Wasn't someone showing off a bike last week they were going to take a Mavic group off of?

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 02-20-12, 05:57 PM
Rocket-Sauce 
Port

Bikes: 2022 Soma Fog Cutter, 2021 Calfee Draqonfly 44, 1984 Peter Mooney, 2017 Soma Stanyan, 1990 Fuji Ace, 1990 Bridgestone RB-1, 1995 Independent Fabrications Track, 2003 Calfee Dragonfly Pro

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 975 Post(s)
Liked 1,837 Times in 1,050 Posts
this?
https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...=#post13868712
Old 02-20-12, 07:55 PM
tmh657

The verdict is in. I took it out for about 15 miles this afternoon. I will definitely be keeping it for a long time. I took it down to some pretty steep hills. Up one and down another. It climbs great, descends with no effort. All around very smooth and solid feeling. I don't have a ton of experience with nice steel but I know I like it.

I am thinking 8 speed Ergo, unless 9 speed is not that much more in price. Hmmm. I better sell something I don't ride very much and bring on the Campagnolo.
Old 08-08-16, 02:48 AM
ld_whittington

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Please help me identify my Bianchi

Good day, guys and gals!

I have been trying to research my Bianchi bike for some time now... And haven't seen many Bianchi's that look similar, until I stumbled across this thread...

My bike was purchased, secondhand, by my stepdad in 2001 and is still in the same condition (ito mechanics and kit) as when he purchased it, so I assume the previous owner did the upgrades (to more modern gear)...

He passed it on to me around 2009 and, sad to say, I hadn't ridden it much since... It has been with a friend, in his barn for some time, until I fetched it and brought it back to my house (we live approximately 1400km apart) earlier this year. Unfortunately it picked up some scratches, whilst being stored in his barn, and I live in a coastal town, so I'm worried about the rust factor taking its toll!

What I would like to find out is:

1. What the model and year is (the serial number under the BB is 3283 (on the one side) and 9C on the other).

2.if anyone knows where I could find the "formula" to have this exact black mixed, for a respray.

3. The best place to get the (closest to) original replacement decals set from

4. Any other interesting/important information regarding my bike.

I would love to restore, at least the frame, in order to keep it "nice and fresh" for years to come...

I also don't mind upgrading with modern (preferably Campagnolo) components... And I plan on rebuilding some components from my new Bianchi Intenso, as I upgrade it, over time,onto this bike.

Components at the moment are as follows:

Mavic CXP14 rims,

Shimano 105 rear hub & 8 speed rear derailleur,

Shimano hyperglide 8 speed cluster,

Exage 300EX crankset,

Unknown Campagnolo front derailleur,

Tektro brakes,

Campagnolo headset,

Campagnolo front hub,

Shimano RSX brake- and shifter levers,

Cinelli handlebars,

Velo Plush Seat.

I live in South Africa.

Thank you in advance, for any information.

Leonard

Also, I have a lot of photos but, being new to this forum and working from my mobile phone, I'm struggling to upload any photos, any help with this would be appreciated too!