Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Wheel Not Centered on Frame?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Wheel Not Centered on Frame?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-12, 01:54 AM
hueyhoolihan

Bikes: 8 ss bikes, 1 5-speed touring bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by rothenfield1
... but I’m starting to feel like this forum is filled with a bunch of arrogant a-holes.
ok, i'm arrogant and an a-hole, but as a life-long eccentric i resent being lumped together with others and referred to as part of a "bunch". that's just TOO much.
Old 02-12-12, 06:44 AM
strock 

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
. . . I’m starting to feel like this forum is filled with a bunch of arrogant a-holes.
Filled? Surely you exaggerate. It can't be more than half full.
Old 02-12-12, 07:35 AM
cny-bikeman
Mechanic/Tourist

Bikes: 2008 Novara Randonee - love it. Previous bikes:Motobecane Mirage, 1972 Moto Grand Jubilee (my fave), Jackson Rake 16, 1983 C'dale ST500.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 486 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
it's a viable option if one knows exactly what the error is. OTOH it has the disadvantage of being a non-interchangeable wheel, which can be a pain later on.
I would not agree that it's a viable option. For one thing, the wheel is not just shifted to one side when the rear triangle is off-center. It's actuallly pointed right or left when the front wheel is going straight ahead. That means differential handling on right and left turns and possibly slightly greater tire wear - probably is not a huge concern but something to be considered. However, the hub does not just interact with the rim but also with the chainwheels through the rear cogs. If the rear triangle is off then likely the chainline is as well, and there may be more chain noise due to the cog and derailleur pulleys being not in the same vertical plane.
Old 02-12-12, 07:41 AM
cny-bikeman
Mechanic/Tourist

Bikes: 2008 Novara Randonee - love it. Previous bikes:Motobecane Mirage, 1972 Moto Grand Jubilee (my fave), Jackson Rake 16, 1983 C'dale ST500.

I detailed a method for checking this on another similar thread using a bubble level, but it takes a sensitive level (they vary). It can also be done on a flat table or floor, but probably needs two people. Tools required include a level and sliding tri-square, or other height gauge.
FB, am I missing something, or in this day and age wouldn't it be better to use a digital level? They are no longer very expensive at all. For that matter I would think that one could do a passable job of determining on which plane the wheel is off by simply sighting from the front of the bike frame to the rear wheel.

Last edited by cny-bikeman; 02-12-12 at 08:40 AM.
Old 02-12-12, 08:48 AM
cny-bikeman
Mechanic/Tourist

I think I’ve done what any backyard bike enthusiast would do, I first try to correct the problem myself, then took the bike to the best LBS in my area with no solution, then posted the question here and through the back and forth process of this open forum have found the problem.

Actually the process above is not necessarily the best. If you try to correct the process yourself you first need to arm yourself as fully as possible with knowledge about the problem and a logical approach to a solution, either with research or by going to this forum.

That way you can do the work yourself more efficiently and reliably, you are less likely to confound the problem with more variables, and you are more able to tell the shop what you have eliminated and judge whether or not they have checked everything.

In a different thread a member went "round the bend and back again" on a drive train issue because he and the shop "tried a bunch of things" without a systematic approach to the problem, resulting in weeks of unnecessary work and delay.

The other problem, as shown in some of the posts in this thread, is that one has to "consider the source." Some persons may sound very convincing and present their opinion in a non-"arrogant" manner but be totally wrong or partially misinformed. It's sometimes a good idea to check profiles of those who are giving advice when you receive conflicting opinions. Many of us who have worked professionally post our background. The mere fact that someone has made multiple posts is no assurance of competence.

p.s. On reflection, even "credentials" are no assurance. The best evidence is the person's other posts. If you find that a given forum member is very often correct early on in their diagnosis and advice, explains how they came to a particular conclusion, and importantly, admits to errors graciously, then that is someone to look for in the future... as opposed to those who say "One time I had the exact same problem and this solved it."

Last edited by cny-bikeman; 02-12-12 at 01:49 PM.
Old 02-12-12, 08:48 AM
IthaDan 

Bikes: Click on the #YOLO

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 12 Posts
I don’t know where you got the idea that I was “messing” with the spoke tension, did I say that? When I first discovered the issue, I took the bike in for professional help. It was the LBS that redished the wheel.
Sorry, I thought YOU had redished the wheel. Either way, the wheel has been touched (redished by changing spoke tension) and needs now needs to be re-redished to where it was because of a bad diagnosis.

There's not so much an arrogant a$$hole vibe going on here, more one of frustration stemming from answering a question and the asker having selective hearing about where to go next. You're on the right track to getting this sorted out, and you'll ride this thing and love it. But I don't want to lose track of the fact that there is a lot to learn on all accounts. I know I'll ask if the bike is nearby from now on.
Old 02-12-12, 11:14 AM
davidad

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 138 Posts
Originally Posted by hueyhoolihan
ok, i'm arrogant and an a-hole, but as a life-long eccentric i resent being lumped together with others and referred to as part of a "bunch". that's just TOO much.
You are like me, an a-hole and proud of it!
Old 02-12-12, 11:31 AM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5791 Post(s)
Liked 2,581 Times in 1,431 Posts

You know, I’ve used the BF Mech forum for a long time as my go-to place for answering questions that I could not find elsewhere, but I’m starting to feel like this forum is filled with a bunch of arrogant a-holes.
"Filled with" is probably a slight exaggeration.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 02-12-12, 11:50 AM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Originally Posted by cny-bikeman
FB, am I missing something, or in this day and age wouldn't it be better to use a digital level? They are no longer very expensive at all. For that matter I would think that one could do a passable job of determining on which plane the wheel is off by simply sighting from the front of the bike frame to the rear wheel.
We're back to the digital/analog instrument debate. While digital instruments have the appearance of being more accurate, that isn't necessarily true. The readout might have very good resolution, but it's still dependent on the sensor unit that actually takes the reading. It's also impossible to interpolate digital readings because you have no way of knowing which way it's already been rounded.

The same is true for bubble levels which come in a few varieties depending on the accuracy desired. The very sensitive ones have less curvature in the glass and changes of a few minutes are easily seen. I level machines with a bubble level so sensitive that the bubble moves almost 1 to 1 when adjusting foot pads set 5 feet apart. (that is an error of 1/16" over 5 feet will move the bobble 1/16")

That's not to say that a digital unit is inferior to a good analog one, just that it may not be any better.

As for eyeball sighting, it'll spot a really bad case but you'd need really good eyes to see an error of 1/8" top and bottom.

As I usually do, I offered one method for solving a problem. It isn't the only one, nor do I present it as such. If one has a grasp of the principles involved, and a bit of creativity, there are many ways of doing any job.

The problem in working on any frame alignment issue is that there are a number of possible errors that can combine in funny ways to compound or mitigate each other. Before making any correction, it's important to see the whole picture, lest you make a bad problem worse.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

Last edited by FBinNY; 02-12-12 at 12:11 PM.
Old 02-12-12, 11:58 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,699 Times in 2,519 Posts
I believe that even ignoring the wheel, you can see that the frame is offset due to the curve of the seat stays. It's possible that it is an aberration caused by the camera lens, but I doubt it. When I was building at Trek, they cold set after the frame was complete. Cold setting is best performed before you attach the seat stays, and if the bridges are installed, all bets are off. Furthermore, it seems clear that when most bike owners cold set for 130mm, they don't really check for symmetry.

If you find somewhere to attach the string that is guaranteed to be symmetric, you should be able to see this fairly easily. Dropouts are notoriously misshapen, going up on the seat stays will guarantee a bad measurement. Although I take it that someone pointed this out.
I reversed the wheel with the same result. The offset is still about 3mm to the right.
Old 02-12-12, 12:02 PM
blamp28
Bikaholic

Bikes: Trek Fuel 90, Giant OCR, Rans Screamer Tandem

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Define "filled". In all fairness, you came hewre with a question framed with the fact that and ace mechanic could not find anything wrong and then refused to acknowledge that there were some simple tests you could conduct that would point you in the right direction. It was not until you shared that toy did not have access to the bike that this made a little sense. There are very few, if any ******** here. On the other hand, if you ask a bunch of bike mechanics how to solve a problem, it would be helpful if you assumed that their suggestions might have a little validity. Particularly if they are repeated several times.
Old 02-12-12, 12:31 PM
mrrabbit 

Bikes: 2001 Tommasini Sintesi w/ Campagnolo Daytona 10 Speed

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 30 Posts
Funny thing about us proud ***holes on this forum is:

1. We are typically the people contractors come to when they have a "drop dead" deadline to meet and can't afford chatty "socialites" and "groupies" on the job.

2. That which is unresolved and gets passed around finally ends up with us - and gets done.

3. Our friends tend to be people who've known us for 20+ years and appreciate the real "McCoy's".

There...another ***hole done with his rant!

Disclaimer:

1. I do not claim to be an expert in bicycle mechanics despite my experience.
2. I like anyone will comment in other areas.
3. I do not own the preexisting concepts of DISH and ERD.
4. I will provide information as I always have to others that I believe will help them protect themselves from unscrupulous mechanics.
5. My all time favorite book is:

Kahane, Howard. Logic and Contemporary Rhetoric: The Use of Reason in Everyday Life
Old 02-12-12, 12:39 PM
FBinNY 

I’m starting to feel like this forum is filled with a bunch of arrogant a-holes.
The problem with the a-holes on this forum is that they fall into two basic categories.

1- those who know what they're doing and can seem pretty arrogant about it.
2- those who only think they know what they're doing and can seem pretty arrogant about it.

There's a big difference, but god help anyone trying to sort them out.

Old 02-12-12, 12:53 PM
mrrabbit 

The problem with the a-holes on this forum is that they fall into two basic categories.

1- those who know what they're doing and can seem pretty arrogant about it.
2- those who only think they know what they're doing and can seem pretty arrogant about it.

There's a big difference, but god help anyone trying to sort them out.
Careful there FBinNY...you are setting yourself up for "label" to be applied to you that has been applied to me in the past as well...

=8-)

Disclaimer:

4. I will provide information as I always have to others that I believe will help them protect themselves from unscrupulous mechanics.

Kahane, Howard. Logic and Contemporary Rhetoric: The Use of Reason in Everyday Life
Old 02-12-12, 01:00 PM
FBinNY 

Originally Posted by mrrabbit
Careful there FBinNY...you are setting yourself up for "label" to be applied to you that has been applied to me in the past as well...

=8-)
Sometimes it might seem (or even be) appropriate, but the devil is are we talking the first or second type?

Old 02-12-12, 01:44 PM
cny-bikeman
Mechanic/Tourist

We're back to the digital/analog instrument debate.
I must have missed that one. I'm not an all-or-nothing guy - I use bubble levels also, was just curious why you specified that. You're points about digital are certainly well taken, but when using it for comparative purposes rather than counting on zero degrees to be exact there should be minimal concern, and certainly few people have a really good bubble level.

As for eyeball sighting, it'll spot a really bad case but you'd need really good eyes to see an error of 1/8" top and bottom.
What one would check is not the dropouts but the wheel itself. If I sight along the side of the bike I find it is not hard to determine whether the wheel is "leaning" to one side (not parallel top to bottom) which would indicate dropouts at two different levels, or is not pointing parallel to the frame from front to back, which would generally indicate a rear triangle deviated to one side.

As I usually do, I offered one method for solving a problem. It isn't the only one, nor do I present it as such. If one has a grasp of the principles involved, and a bit of creativity, there are many ways of doing any job. The problem in working on any frame alignment issue is that there are a number of possible errors that can combine in funny ways to compound or mitigate each other. Before making any correction, it's important to see the whole picture, lest you make a bad problem worse.
Absolutely correct. Any type of problem solving has multiple solutions and even multiple paths to that solution. However one always needs to start with the proper information about and understanding of the system involved. Frame alignment and drive train problems are just two areas where it is easy to overlook all of the factors that come into play.
Old 02-12-12, 02:05 PM
FBinNY 

I must have missed that one.
How's that possible? it keeps coming up when folks talk about pressure gauges, calipers, and lately wheel tension meters, and even chain wear gauges. Many years ago (when Wang Labs was a startup) my college buddies called me "an analog man in a digital age" and I guess it stuck. I still tend to prefer analog readouts for many applications - can't stand the digital speedometers in some cars - but I've no technical objection to digital stuff except for the assumption that digital means accurate.

I referred to a bubble level because most people are familiar with it and know what I'm talking about, but a level is a level so folks should use what they have.

What one would check is not the dropouts but the wheel itself.
I knew that's what you meant. I eyeball lots of stuff, and often spot badly aligned frames this way. But I don't know how sensitive eyeballing is. You can only use the top half of the rim, since there isn't a reference for the lower half, and the distance rim to seat tube varies on the arc which can introduce parallax error. Not saying it can't be done, just not sure. I also wear glasses and often curvature of field makes eyeballing this sort of stuff hard.

The key in making a decent diagnosis of anything subtle like frame alignment is to avoid snap judgments and/or tunnel vision. There are many factors involved, and it's important to keep an open mind and get a good overview before jumping in and possibly making things worse.

Old 02-12-12, 10:05 PM
rothenfield1

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I’m starting to feel like this forum is filled with a bunch of arrogant a-holes.
I apologize for this rant. After all these years of posting, you’d think that I would have evolved a thicker skin. I must have been overly protective of the one and only wheelset that I have built. 36H Open Pro rims/ DT Swiss DB 14-15 spokes/brass nipples/Ultegra hubs. I built the front entirely myself reading Brandt, https://www.amazon.com/Bicycle-Wheel-...9105091&sr=8-1 and some references by Sheldon on tensioning. However, I only laced and tensioned the rear and I left the dishing to a bike mechanic friend.

The Mech Forum is an invaluable resource for me, and although this is my first bike build in well over a year and half, I know I will need your assistance again at some point in the future.

You have a keen eye Unterhausen; I also see, now, a slight bow outwards to the right seat stay. It seems correctable.

Thanks to all the repliers, it has been a very helpful read, as usual.

Last edited by rothenfield1; 02-13-12 at 02:10 AM.
Old 02-13-12, 08:58 AM
blamp28
Bikaholic

Bikes: Trek Fuel 90, Giant OCR, Rans Screamer Tandem

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's all good. I hope that solve the issue. Nice bike! Let us know how it works out.
Old 02-13-12, 09:52 AM
Chris Chicago

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 20 Posts
whatever happened to that operator guy?
Old 02-13-12, 09:58 AM
FBinNY 

Originally Posted by Chris Chicago
whatever happened to that operator guy?
I've been wondering the same. Probably too busy since it's been so warm this winter, or maybe just ran out of vitriol.

Old 02-13-12, 11:21 AM
mrrabbit 

I've been wondering the same. Probably too busy since it's been so warm this winter, or maybe just ran out of vitriol.
Au contraire...I find him to be funny.

I love it when he decides to highlight everyone's FUD in a discussion with: "It's gonna explode causing you to run off a cliff and DIE!!!"

Maybe he's working on coming up with new lines...

Like myself, I think he prefers people to get straight to the point...saving the egg shells for another forum.

=8-)

Disclaimer:

Old 02-13-12, 11:34 AM
FBinNY 

Originally Posted by mrrabbit
Au contraire...I find him to be funny.

Non contraire. You read the words, but missed the sentiment hidden within. I guess I'm going to have to start using smiley faces. God, I hope not!!!

Old 02-13-12, 11:37 AM
mrrabbit 

Non contraire. You read the words, but missed the sentiment hidden within. I guess I'm going to have to start using smiley faces. God, I hope not!!!
The smiley faces are free. Use 'em while you can before BF starts charging for 'em.

=8-)

Disclaimer:

Old 02-24-12, 12:03 AM
rothenfield1

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
The frame builder was able to swing the rear triangle over to straightness. It’s all good.

Thanks again you Mech Heads.