Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Where to buy SRAM groupsets

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 10-22-16, 10:43 PM
HazeT

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Now that the major UK online stores are not shipping to US?
Old 10-22-16, 11:20 PM
Jeremy_S

Bikes: 15 Fuji Altamira 2.0

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When did ribble stop shipping to the US?
Old 10-22-16, 11:28 PM
HazeT

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Jeremy_S
When did ribble stop shipping to the US?
I don't know if they did or not but they have been out of stock for over 2 weeks on red and force.
But giving that SRAM was able to impose those conditions to PBK and Merli,n I would expect they would try to do the same to ribble.
I've signed up for notifications for when it gets back, let's see.
Old 10-23-16, 11:25 PM
RoadLight

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by HazeT
I don't know if they did or not but they have been out of stock for over 2 weeks on red and force.
But giving that SRAM was able to impose those conditions to PBK and Merli,n I would expect they would try to do the same to ribble.
I've signed up for notifications for when it gets back, let's see.
Hi HazeT,

Are you sure this is a recent thing? I've never tried to order an entire SRAM groupset from Merlin but I have ordered many SRAM parts. I'm in the U.S. and I purchased a SRAM Red chainset from Merlin on Feb 2016 with no problem. I just checked again now and it's still available for shipment to the U.S. So, it appears that only groupsets have the restriction. What about buying the parts separately---the total price might still be lower than a groupset price in the U.S.

Kind regards, RoadLight
Old 10-23-16, 11:35 PM
smarkinson

Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 7 Posts
A recent thing apparently:

https://www.bikeforums.net/road-cycli...g-sram-na.html
Old 10-24-16, 04:01 PM
HazeT

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by RoadLight
Hi HazeT,

Are you sure this is a recent thing? I've never tried to order an entire SRAM groupset from Merlin but I have ordered many SRAM parts. I'm in the U.S. and I purchased a SRAM Red chainset from Merlin on Feb 2016 with no problem. I just checked again now and it's still available for shipment to the U.S. So, it appears that only groupsets have the restriction. What about buying the parts separately---the total price might still be lower than a groupset price in the U.S.

Kind regards, RoadLight
Buying the whole group in small pieces seems to be more expensive, what I'm doing now is trying to mix match red and force and throwing some ebay into the equation to try some cheap deals on the most expensive items.
Old 10-24-16, 04:55 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,526 Times in 997 Posts
Yeah, I think it got kinda embarrassing for SRAM to see it's groupsets, ostensibly made by a US Company, cost less from European sellers.
Old 10-24-16, 07:41 PM
AristoNYC

Bikes: AristoNYC's PedalRoom

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Merlin doesn't ship to the US anymore. unfortunate.
"This product cannot be shipped to your selected delivery country of "United States". Please remove this item."
Old 10-24-16, 08:13 PM
MakiNn

Bikes: Spooky Mulholland

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
Here you go

https://www.coloradocyclist.com/road-bike-groupsets
Old 10-24-16, 08:45 PM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 6556 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
eBay FTW.

Originally Posted by LAJ
No matter where I go, here I am...
Old 10-24-16, 09:54 PM
quicktrigger

Bikes: Allez/Motobecane 427HT & Ti/Soma Custom Build

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
IMHO, this will hurt SRAM in the longer term. The end effect will be making SRAM much more expensive to the DIY crowd and to custom builders. If Shimano follows suit, then they are only helping SRAM, and leaving an opening for Microshift to come in below, and perhaps FSA with their forthcoming Electronic Groupset, or perhaps another player. Microshift is already increasingly showing up on spec sheets on the lower to midrange. So IHMO, very unlikely Shimano will follow. SRAM is shooting themselves in the foot with this policy.
Old 10-25-16, 01:10 AM
HazeT

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by quicktrigger
IMHO, this will hurt SRAM in the longer term. The end effect will be making SRAM much more expensive to the DIY crowd and to custom builders. If Shimano follows suit, then they are only helping SRAM, and leaving an opening for Microshift to come in below, and perhaps FSA with their forthcoming Electronic Groupset, or perhaps another player. Microshift is already increasingly showing up on spec sheets on the lower to midrange. So IHMO, very unlikely Shimano will follow. SRAM is shooting themselves in the foot with this policy.
Agreed. I love my sram, but at their us prices I may very well give campy chorus a try.
Old 10-25-16, 01:19 AM
HazeT

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by MakiNn
You are being sarcastic right?
Old 10-25-16, 01:26 AM
znomit
Zoom zoom zoom zoom bonk

Bikes: Giant Defy, Trek 1.7c, BMC GF02, Fuji Tahoe, Scott Sub 35, Kona Rove, Trek Verve+2

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 721 Times in 365 Posts
Originally Posted by quicktrigger
IMHO, this will hurt SRAM in the longer term.
Unless your LBS starts stocking more SRAM equiped bikes because they know they'll have a non zero chance of selling you a chain or cassette down the track...
Old 10-25-16, 04:11 AM
DOS

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 253 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 56 Posts
Originally Posted by AristoNYC
Merlin doesn't ship to the US anymore. unfortunate.
"This product cannot be shipped to your selected delivery country of "United States". Please remove this item."
Yeah. I got far as puttting stuff in my cart but realized I hadn't logged into my account. When I did, and my US address populated, I got that message.
Old 10-25-16, 06:35 AM
quicktrigger

Bikes: Allez/Motobecane 427HT & Ti/Soma Custom Build

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by znomit
Unless your LBS starts stocking more SRAM equipped bikes because they know they'll have a non zero chance of selling you a chain or cassette down the track...
And those SRAM bikes are typically more expensive than a Shimano equipped bike, again putting SRAM at a dis-advantage. Dealers will stock what sells, and most people will buy the less expensive of two similarly equipped bikes, and that's almost always going to be the Shimano equipped bike. Also the majority will buy Shimano over SRAM in the after market area if it saves them $100 more more. So unless SRAM cuts the OEM cost soooo much that Shimano decides not to go there, in which case, SRAM would likely be losing money on every OEM sale. So then long term, this is a losing choice any way you slice it. I'm certainly all for more companies and competition. A nice laptop computer is 100,000 times more complex than a $5K bike, but costs $600, a little over a tenth of the price. So those simple circuit boards and servo's in eTap and Di setups are CHEAP. Some claim it's R&D costs, but the R&D for that computer is at least thousands of times more, but cost far far less. So yeah, competition needs to happen.

Sure for some people this won't matter, just as for some people it's Campy or nothing. Those are what niche companies are built on, and not the more pervasive companies/suppliers. So again IMHO, this is a poor move by SRAM for their long term.

Last edited by quicktrigger; 10-25-16 at 06:56 AM.
Old 10-25-16, 06:16 PM
MakiNn

Bikes: Spooky Mulholland

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
You are being sarcastic right?
you caught me haha
Old 11-01-16, 10:25 PM
HazeT

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Just to update, Merlin now stopped shipping even individual components to US I tried to buy the Red 22 brakeset without luck.
Old 11-02-16, 09:44 AM
RNAV
Flyin' under the radar

Bikes: '15 LeMond Washoe custom painted, '06 LeMond Croix de fer custom painted, '18 Specialized Crux

Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 23 Posts
Yeah, I wish there were a way to email the CEO of Sram to express my displeasure. I'm part of the VW TDI settlement and I'll be getting a nice chunk of change sometime here in Nov. I'd planned on building up two bikes with Force22. I can't find anywhere in the US that sells Sram at anything close to what I could get from the UK sellers. So my choice is to either only do one bike . . . or do two bikes with Campy Chorus, since I can get Campy Chorus shipped from the UK for less than what I can buy Force22 here.

Sram basically just priced themselves out of the market in the US, which makes zero sense. I went with Sram because I can't stand Shimano's dual brake/shift lever, and much prefer Sram's dedicated brake lever. Well . . . Campy's got a dedicated brake lever too. Boneheaded move, Sram.
Old 11-02-16, 09:57 AM
HazeT

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by RNAV
Yeah, I wish there were a way to email the CEO of Sram to express my displeasure. I'm part of the VW TDI settlement and I'll be getting a nice chunk of change sometime here in Nov. I'd planned on building up two bikes with Force22. I can't find anywhere in the US that sells Sram at anything close to what I could get from the UK sellers. So my choice is to either only do one bike . . . or do two bikes with Campy Chorus, since I can get Campy Chorus shipped from the UK for less than what I can buy Force22 here.

Sram basically just priced themselves out of the market in the US, which makes zero sense. I went with Sram because I can't stand Shimano's dual brake/shift lever, and much prefer Sram's dedicated brake lever. Well . . . Campy's got a dedicated brake lever too. Boneheaded move, Sram.
Same here, I'm now scourging craigslist/ebay for parts. Hopefully by the time I build the next bike this stupidity will be over.
Old 11-02-16, 09:59 AM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Originally Posted by RNAV

Is it worth an off-season flight to a country they are still shipping to? Maybe Canada or Mexico. Savings can fund a vacation. Or ship to a friend or colleague in such a place and have relayed to you. Whatever you do, you want to both get a good price and avoid VAT. Of course, warranty would likely be voided.

Originally Posted by LAJ
Old 11-02-16, 10:08 AM
PepeM

Mentioned: 180 Post(s)
Quoted: 2739 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 59 Posts
Hopefully by the time I build the next bike this stupidity will be over.
If anything, the other brands will probably start doing the same.
Old 11-02-16, 10:09 AM
rpenmanparker 

On eBay, I can bring the 8-piece Force 22 set in for about $860 delivered by buying the 6-piece set that includes brakes and then the crank and BB separately. What is that? About $100 more than it was going for in the U.K.? Or is it more than that?

Originally Posted by LAJ
Old 11-02-16, 10:26 AM
dr_lha

Bikes: 2016 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross v5, 2015 Ritchey Road Logic, 1998 Specialized Rockhopper, 2017 Raleigh Grand Prix

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 374 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by rpenmanparker
On eBay, I can bring the 8-piece Force 22 set in for about $860 delivered by buying the 6-piece set that includes brakes and then the crank and BB separately. What is that? About $100 more than it was going for in the U.K.? Or is it more than that?
More like $250.
Old 11-02-16, 04:42 PM
HazeT

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by rpenmanparker
Ribble has the complete Force 22 listed for: $566.99, so ~300.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.