Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

I want Campy 10 speed again

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-19, 04:17 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1740 Post(s)
Liked 1,369 Times in 718 Posts

Really, I have tried and tried to adapt to the looks of Record 11 and 12, but my mind is so warped by the luxurious beauty of Record 10 that I am unable to conform and accept Record 11/12. Just can't get there. Dagnabit, Campy, please, please bring beauty back to Record!
Old 04-25-19, 04:27 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18350 Post(s)
Liked 4,502 Times in 3,346 Posts
I haven't used the Campy 9s/10s, but I will say that the Campy 11s levers are very comfortable, and very functional.

You may well be able to use other versions of derailleurs with the Campy 11 if you wish, as well as using a variety of cranksets.

Anything aluminum can be polished.
Old 04-25-19, 04:32 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
HIGH END Used & Vintage Bike Shop! We stock Campagnolo XTR TA Suntour Parts NIB NOS

Have at it.

-Tim-
Old 04-25-19, 04:48 PM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
Originally Posted by TiHabanero
Really, I have tried and tried to adapt to the looks of Record 11 and 12, but my mind is so warped by the luxurious beauty of Record 10 that I am unable to conform and accept Record 11/12. Just can't get there. Dagnabit, Campy, please, please bring beauty back to Record!
Some of the Campagnolo product in those days...was...well...an abomination. Remember 10s started in Y2K IIRC, and ran for almost a decade AND LOTS of visual changes. Lots of "WTH" decisions that broke interoperability, as well as frustrated users. The "melted" asymmetrical hood shape started towards the end of 10s IIRC in Record.

I'm looking at you "Escape" shifting, as I recall Powershift wasn't a whole lot better--that madness no one wanted started in 2004 with bottom-tier and grew like a barnacle or STD across the entire mid/low range. There was the QS change that altered pull to break compatibility, across all tiers....only to be confounded in 2 years by US. And in 2009 the spare parts catalogs suddenly got very empty of small parts.

Then we could talk about BBs like Campagnolo AC-H from that era....that were about as well sealed as a screen door on a submarine IME.
Old 04-25-19, 05:05 PM
ridelikeaturtle

Bikes: Bianchi Ti Megatube; Colnago Competition; Planet-X EC-130E; Klein Pulse; Amp Research B4; Litespeed Catalyst; Trek Y11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 478 Times in 258 Posts
Originally Posted by Marcus_Ti
Some of the Campagnolo product in those days...was...well...an abomination. Remember 10s started in Y2K IIRC, and ran for almost a decade AND LOTS of visual changes. Lots of "WTH" decisions that broke interoperability, as well as frustrated users. The "melted" asymmetrical hood shape started towards the end of 10s IIRC in Record.

I'm looking at you "Escape" shifting, as I recall Powershift wasn't a whole lot better--that madness no one wanted started in 2004 with bottom-tier and grew like a barnacle or STD across the entire mid/low range. There was the QS change that altered pull to break compatibility, across all tiers....only to be confounded in 2 years by US. And in 2009 the spare parts catalogs suddenly got very empty of small parts.

Then we could talk about BBs like Campagnolo AC-H from that era....that were about as well sealed as a screen door on a submarine IME.
Say what? Where is all this hate for Campy coming from? Did I miss where the world hated Campy for 10 speed stuff? I'm not seeing it.
Old 04-25-19, 05:13 PM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Originally Posted by ridelikeaturtle
Say what? Where is all this hate for Campy coming from? Did I miss where the world hated Campy for 10 speed stuff? I'm not seeing it.
Not hate "for Campy". No one loved the "escape" mechanism in the history of...ever.

Campy has made some great product over the years...OTOH the 10-speed years had several notable lemon/bad ideas.
Old 04-25-19, 09:17 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
I'm one who picked over the carcass bones , when they abdicated to Shimano the MTB sector ,

and bought a few components to complete my touring bike build ... from closeouts

Euclid and Olympus they were a bit more substantial than 80s XT .... in weight ..

a cycle tourist arrived on the coast , had broken a Chorus carbon piece on their RD .
So had to hang out for a replacement part to be shipped, & installed..

it was chosen from their lower end parts tier .. metal , not carbon.

Touring? All Campag replacement parts are Special Order ,
but hotels food and drink are plentiful while you wait.

Last edited by fietsbob; 04-26-19 at 11:24 AM.
Old 04-25-19, 09:31 PM
eja_ bottecchia

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 463 Times in 293 Posts
I have Campy Athena 11s on my Bottecchia.

I think that it looks close to the old Campy stuff...just close enough to enhance the looks of my 1989 Bottecchia.

I have the new version of Record 11s on my other bikes.

It did take a while for me to get used to the look of the new cranks. Its functionality and performance won me over, however.

Old 04-25-19, 09:44 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4790 Post(s)
Liked 3,917 Times in 2,548 Posts
I went used Campy 9-speed hubs and cassettes for my custom built in '07. Superbe DT shifters, a Hollowtech 105 crqankset, Dura-Ace triple FD, Campy Mirage RD. Only two complaints. Shimano Q-factor and front shifts too easily. The middle ring like to pick up the chain off the inner and drop the chain if the FD isn't rubbing whein I am on the two biggest cogs. (I use a chain watcher so I always get a gear, just not always what I want.)

Everything else? For this born and bred DT guy - to die for! That Mirage is the sweetest shifting derailleur I have ever ridden. The Campy cassette and DT? Again, sweet! And with a triple, 9 cogs is plenty. Not going to change until I can no longer get cogs except if a sweet Sugino crankset comes along, I'll get it in a flash.

Ben
Old 04-26-19, 12:28 AM
botty kayer

Bikes: Yes, probably too many but still have a roving eye...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked 2,782 Times in 531 Posts
Totally agree Campagnolo have dropped the ball aesthetically with their 11 and 12 speed. Potenza looks OK but still has a hint of the spray painted wheelie bin about it

The other modern crankset offerings from Campag and Shimano just look like heat warped dork discs of old, I can't bring myself to drop a large chunk of change on something so ugly.

Campagnolo should be functionally great AND beautiful.

I have a 10 speed carbon Chorus on 1 bike, but my other 4 roadies all have 10 speed Chorus, the last of the proper silver cranks. Future classics for sure.
And a new Chorus 12 speed crank is how much...+$400?
That exact crank in the pic above, eBay, mint condition, $100 delivered.

Weight and performance difference between the two: negligible

Its a no-brainer really.

Last edited by botty kayer; 04-26-19 at 01:11 AM. Reason: adding
Likes For botty kayer:
Old 04-26-19, 01:36 AM
jgwilliams

Bikes: Dolan Tuono 105 Di2, custom built 653 and 531 bikes with frames by Barry Witcomb, Sonder Dial XT mountain bike and a Brompton folding bike.

Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 100 Posts
Yes, I do miss the 'organic' look of the old Campag crank sets. Most of the modern ones are pretty hideous and Shimano cranks are frankly horrendous, in my view. Another reason why I went with SRAM on my current bike. It definitely isn't a thing of beauty like my old late 90s Chorus crank set but it is the best of a bad lot. I think the rest of the Campag groupsets are pretty ok, though. I especially like the skeleton brake calipers.

On the other hand, I really like how modern groups work. The SRAM Force gears just never miss a beat and the brakes are more powerful and more progressive.
Likes For jgwilliams:
Old 04-26-19, 05:51 AM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Originally Posted by botty kayer
Totally agree Campagnolo have dropped the ball aesthetically with their 11 and 12 speed. Potenza looks OK but still has a hint of the spray painted wheelie bin about it

The other modern crankset offerings from Campag and Shimano just look like heat warped dork discs of old, I can't bring myself to drop a large chunk of change on something so ugly.

Campagnolo should be functionally great AND beautiful.

I have a 10 speed carbon Chorus on 1 bike, but my other 4 roadies all have 10 speed Chorus, the last of the proper silver cranks. Future classics for sure.
And a new Chorus 12 speed crank is how much...+$400?
That exact crank in the pic above, eBay, mint condition, $100 delivered.

Weight and performance difference between the two: negligible

Its a no-brainer really.
Also...with the 4-arm cranks, they use a 146mm/112mm BCD that AFAIK you cannot get from anyone other than Campagnolo....and being official OEM Campagnolo cost an arm and a leg.
Likes For Marcus_Ti:
Old 04-26-19, 06:48 AM
Cl904

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 23 Posts
It’s all been downhill since c-record.
Old 04-26-19, 06:53 AM
eja_ bottecchia

@botty kayer, nice Bottecchia.
Likes For eja_ bottecchia:
Old 04-26-19, 07:17 AM
eja_ bottecchia

Originally Posted by Cl904
It’s all been downhill since c-record.
It is OK to long for the aesthetics of the past. There is, however, a great deal to be said for the functionality, performance and yes, even beauty of the new.

My 1989 Bottecchia was originally equipped with a modified Campy Croce de Aune groupset.

Aesthetically, those components were gorgeous, especially the rear derailleur. Performance-wise, however, they didn’t always work as well as they looked. The brakes, for example, were rubbish, especially in the rain. I had more than a few pucker-up moments trying to haul my bike to a complete stop while bombing it going down a steep hill.

If you wanted to make changes to the front chain ring gearing you couldn't do it, unless you changed the crank arms as well.

And the DT shifters were pretty to look at, but a pain to work during climbs (there are lots of hills where I live and ride so climbing is always in the menu).

Granted, the look of the new cCampy components is not everyone’s cup of tea, or grappa, but there is a beauty to the shape of the carbon crankarms that is very pleasing. The skeleton brakes have a purposeful look and the brifters/hoods combination look sexy IMHO.

In terms of functionality, the new Campy 11s group is awesome. The brakes are easily modulated and grab when they need to grab. The shifts are smooth, quick and crisp. And I can change chainrings without resorting to getting new crank arms.

I love the past but I also embrace the present and the future.
Likes For eja_ bottecchia:
Old 04-26-19, 07:25 AM
Cl904

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 23 Posts
I was just talking aesthetics. Nuovo record is the most beautiful, but functionaly kind of sucks. If I was racing, I’m sure it would matter... but I don’t and it doesn’t.
Old 04-26-19, 10:37 AM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10961 Post(s)
Liked 4,616 Times in 2,120 Posts
Originally Posted by eja_ bottecchia
I have Campy Athena 11s on my Bottecchia.

I think that it looks close to the old Campy stuff...just close enough to enhance the looks of my 1989 Bottecchia.

I have the new version of Record 11s on my other bikes.

It did take a while for me to get used to the look of the new cranks. Its functionality and performance won me over, however.

You win. /thread

Last edited by Trsnrtr; 04-26-19 at 10:41 AM.
Old 04-26-19, 10:40 AM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Great chance for me to post my 1979 Gianni Motta with Record 11 speed group:

Likes For Trsnrtr:
Old 04-26-19, 11:14 AM
eja_ bottecchia

Originally Posted by Trsnrtr
Great chance for me to post my 1979 Gianni Motta with Record 11 speed group:

My friend YOU win...that’s truly a gorgeous and sexy bike.
Old 04-26-19, 12:22 PM
5teve

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 29 Posts
Heck, if we're doing Campy of the past, I'll take the 8 speed Chorus/Racing T stuff I had on my Waterford, late 90's. Absolutely beautiful, fantastic function, great longevity. (no pics, unfortunately)
Old 04-26-19, 12:39 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,409 Times in 909 Posts
Campy 10-speed. 3x10, to be accurate.

Old 04-26-19, 12:41 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1740 Post(s)
Liked 1,369 Times in 718 Posts
Simply put, if the Italian car and motorcycle makers can consistently produce beautiful styling (within the generation of style) it seems that Campagnolo should be able to do the same. The cranks on the new stuff are butt-ugly. The rear der. look like some kind of doo-hicky from a project gone awry. Their brakes are fine, levers fine, but drive train components are simply ugly. Yuk!

I will keep my old stuff until they get it right and get wireless shifting down pat. The two together will be just the ticket.
Likes For TiHabanero:
Old 04-26-19, 12:44 PM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Originally Posted by eja_ bottecchia
My friend YOU win...that’s truly a gorgeous and sexy bike.
I can see right now that we need to start an Italian Mutual Admiration Society.

Old 04-26-19, 08:49 PM
eja_ bottecchia

Originally Posted by Trsnrtr
I can see right now that we need to start an Italian Mutual Admiration Society.
Si mio amico, we should. What is there not to love about the most beautiful and sexiest biciclettas in the world.
Old 04-27-19, 01:04 PM
Obeast
100% Certified Beast

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 13 Posts
10 speed Campy shifters are beautiful and they get more beautiful as time goes by. The newer stuff looks like orcs´ vomit. 9sp shifters are not that nice but it has that very Batman look to it.

Last edited by Obeast; 04-27-19 at 01:08 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.