Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

I want Campy 10 speed again

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

I want Campy 10 speed again

Old 04-27-19, 04:48 PM
gweeds111@gmail

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
nice
Old 05-04-19, 06:33 AM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1853 Post(s)
Liked 659 Times in 502 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
I haven't used the Campy 9s/10s, but I will say that the Campy 11s levers are very comfortable, and very functional.

You may well be able to use other versions of derailleurs with the Campy 11 if you wish, as well as using a variety of cranksets.

Anything aluminum can be polished.
Aren't the "11 speed levers" just the third generation levers, that were available in the 10 speed systems?
Old 05-04-19, 09:29 AM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
Originally Posted by Road Fan
Aren't the "11 speed levers" just the third generation levers, that were available in the 10 speed systems?
Well...no, is the simple answer. Campagnolo redesigned the internals of their shifters 3X during the 10-speed years ("escape", "QS", "US" branding appeared printed on the right shifter to differentiate)....and then redesigned the exterior---but the exterior change varied depending on what tier of product, and what year...And I cannot even remember what cable pulls did and didn't change during all 3X of those internal revisions...the Chorus/Record tier changed first, and then followed half-a-decade-later by the middling/lower tiers....and to make matters more annoying IIRC 11 speed was when Campagnolo stopped selling individual spare parts.

Confusing? You bet. Hence Campagnolo started to stamp "LETTER" on parts to notate what will and won't work for future reference ("A" for 2015 Chorus and up, "F" for the new 12 speed Record/SuperRecord for example)--as not only did mechanisms like "escape" or "QS" come and go but the cable pull itself changed even when the mechanism internally and the shifter body externally did not (pre-2015, and post-2015 Chorus and up for example will not work together).

Last edited by Marcus_Ti; 05-04-19 at 09:33 AM.
Old 05-04-19, 09:44 AM
63rickert

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 329 Times in 245 Posts
Chris Howard makes Campy look like it should. He's at cycloretro.com. Spend a couple minutes going through his Instagram pics and you will want it.

Prices are all in Australian dollars so it is not all that expensive. You do get to pay twice, once for the parts, a second time to dress them up. Should be dressed up as original but it is not. He can/does work with old scuffed and apparently dead parts. Take a look at what he did to Phil Anderson's 1982 Peugeot team bike.
Old 05-04-19, 06:20 PM
Kent T

Bikes: 2002 Trek 800 Singletrack, 1982 Bridgestone Spica

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 32 Posts
Originally Posted by jgwilliams
Yes, I do miss the 'organic' look of the old Campag crank sets. Most of the modern ones are pretty hideous and Shimano cranks are frankly horrendous, in my view. Another reason why I went with SRAM on my current bike. It definitely isn't a thing of beauty like my old late 90s Chorus crank set but it is the best of a bad lot. I think the rest of the Campag groupsets are pretty ok, though. I especially like the skeleton brake calipers.

On the other hand, I really like how modern groups work. The SRAM Force gears just never miss a beat and the brakes are more powerful and more progressive.
I prefer the classics myself, many were way better aesthetically. I wish they'd revive the Nuovo Record gruppo, and make a Nuovo Rally wide range functionally equivalent to the old Suntour wide range offerings of yore. Campagnolo needs to be both elegant velo art and functional in equal parts.
Old 05-05-19, 08:34 AM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 869 Post(s)
Liked 2,264 Times in 1,268 Posts
Originally Posted by Kent T
I prefer the classics myself, many were way better aesthetically. I wish they'd revive the Nuovo Record gruppo, and make a Nuovo Rally wide range functionally equivalent to the old Suntour wide range offerings of yore. Campagnolo needs to be both elegant velo art and functional in equal parts.
I am with you on that! I have NR or SR on nearly all my classic rides and love em. The look and bullet proof nature has me hooked . In my twenties I could only dream of having them on my bike, so , I now have them on everything(almost). Joe joesvintageroadbikes.wordpress
Old 05-05-19, 08:02 PM
Ronsonic 

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 41 Posts
The original 10s Ergo were a high point in both function and aesthetics. They work perfectly and are beautiful doing it. Even my third-tier Daytona is lovely if a few grams heavier than the higher end lines with more Ti and Carbon.

TBH, my old 9s Mirage (before they screwed that up) also worked beautifully just didn't feel as nice.
Old 05-08-19, 05:45 PM
Mad Honk 

Bikes: Paramount, Faggin, Ochsner, Ciocc, Basso

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 1296 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 1,132 Posts
Originally Posted by Trsnrtr
I can see right now that we need to start an Italian Mutual Admiration Society.
Ah Yes!
From anyone old enough to wear a brain basket, the mid century Campy stuff is still aesthetically pleasing. I have almost all of my bikes outfitted with the NR and SR which I consider the lightest groupo you can put on anything, except maybe the Simplex stuff form the early 70's, and that didn't hold up well. All of the bikes we used on RAAM, were SR with the exception being one year a Sugino triple for the mountains, but still the SR deraileur. The next year it was a Campy triple. Also the easiest stuff to work on because of fewer moving parts. Sometimes I spend more time making the lower end Shimano stuff work than it pays. JMHO, MH
Likes For Mad Honk: