Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Nearly Hit A Cyclist Today

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Old 08-26-19, 05:54 PM
Hawkowl2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

I finally stopped shaking enough to keyboard on my phone. Today I missed a bike and rider by inches.

Divided four lane urban highway. I'm in the inside straight ahead lane. The light turned green. I waited a few seconds because cars have a habit of running that red light.

When I started forward out of the corner of my eye I saw something moving and started to take my foot off the the gas pedal.Then this male crossed in front of me so close his handlebars overhung my fender. He had a smile on his face.

Looking back, what I saw out of the corner of my eye had to have been him riding down the centerline between vehicles. He appeared to be having a ball.

By his actions he almost caused me to have shakes and nightmares for the indefinite future.

As it is I just hope he stops his reckless behaviour before he gets killed and gives someone else nightmares.
Old 08-27-19, 06:30 AM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 985 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 526 Posts
I wonder what was in his head. Was he oblivious, impaired, mentally ill, suicidal, or maybe intentionally wanting to cause havoc? I'm glad you weren't the one to ruin his party.

The 3 second rule for green lights is an excellent strategy. In my area, so many drivers speed through reds that have just turned that waiting a bit is essential to safety.
Likes For Moe Zhoost:
Old 08-27-19, 06:50 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1363 Post(s)
Liked 1,675 Times in 827 Posts
That is very un-nerving. I'm glad it didn't turn out worse. Unfortunately I think the odds will be against the cyclist who obviously has some mental issues or substance abuse problems.

Most days my bike commute takes me through a section of the city where homeless services are located. I often see individuals on foot or bike who are oblivious to their surroundings, or blind to the potential consequences of their actions, or defiant, wading into traffic, actually challenging vehicles to hit them.

You said you waited a few seconds before accelerating and took your foot off the gas when you sensed movement in your periphery. That makes you more conscientious and more alert than many other drivers, and definitely more so than the cyclist. And now you will be even more circumspect in similar situations.

A good bike ride away from traffic should help calm your nerves.
Old 08-27-19, 07:48 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,492 Times in 7,316 Posts
There are a lot of impaired (mentally or otherwise) riders and pedestrians here in Philly. Then you have the defiant ones who have no sense of social order. But there are also "normal" people who are simply selfish and will do what is most convenient for them. Here is a good example: I work across from Comcast's world headquarters. The back entrance to the building provides access to an extremely busy commuter train station. That entrance is roughly in the middle of the block. Because people from the several surrounding office towers were crossing the street in the middle of the block to get to the entrance, the city installed a mid-block crosswalk, complete with flashing lights and yield signs. Despite that convenience, people who work in towers to the west and are heading east to the entrance cross the two lane street wherever they fell like it instead of heading to the crosswalk and crossing there. They often just step right off the curb to make a bee line for the entrance. I have nearly hit people while riding my bike home.
Old 08-27-19, 10:50 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
What's the deal with this doing wheelies in traffic fad? I've now seen at least four people zipping in and out of moving traffic lanes doing this, and it's just one near miss after another.

No, I'm not describing YouTube videos, I've actually witnessed this at least four times in the past three weeks.
Old 08-27-19, 11:55 AM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1480 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
Originally Posted by Moe Zhoost
I wonder what was in his head. Was he oblivious, impaired, mentally ill, suicidal, or maybe intentionally wanting to cause havoc? I'm glad you weren't the one to ruin his party.

The 3 second rule for green lights is an excellent strategy. In my area, so many drivers speed through reds that have just turned that waiting a bit is essential to safety.
I'm sure there's someone in these BFs that can tell the rest of us how to properly run red lights.

Sometimes niceholes exist for these kind of things.
Old 08-30-19, 12:54 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5223 Post(s)
Liked 3,577 Times in 2,341 Posts
Originally Posted by Daniel4
I'm sure there's someone in these BFs that can tell the rest of us how to properly run red lights.
I think the bike was going the same direction as the OP with the green light & not crossing traffic perpendicular thru the red light
Old 09-03-19, 06:05 AM
Chris0516

Bikes: 2003 (24)20-Speed Specialized Allez'

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Hawkowl2
I finally stopped shaking enough to keyboard on my phone. Today I missed a bike and rider by inches.

Divided four lane urban highway. I'm in the inside straight ahead lane. The light turned green. I waited a few seconds because cars have a habit of running that red light.

When I started forward out of the corner of my eye I saw something moving and started to take my foot off the the gas pedal.Then this male crossed in front of me so close his handlebars overhung my fender. He had a smile on his face.

Looking back, what I saw out of the corner of my eye had to have been him riding down the centerline between vehicles. He appeared to be having a ball.

By his actions he almost caused me to have shakes and nightmares for the indefinite future.

As it is I just hope he stops his reckless behaviour before he gets killed and gives someone else nightmares.
I am glad, there was no collision.