Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

Training Status??? (II)

Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Training Status??? (II)

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-11, 07:10 AM
GirlAnachronism
Bulldozer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My workout this morning was harder than Sunday's race. I guess that's a good thing.
Old 03-22-11, 07:21 AM
HMF
SkinnyStrong

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Build 1 Week 3. Group ride last night. This is my anchor workout because I enjoy the social aspect, but I also try to get in a good workout. 1.25 hours, 4 x 200m sprints, mostly Z3 in between.
Old 03-22-11, 07:57 AM
echappist
fuggitivo solitario

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by GirlAnachronism
My workout this morning was harder than Sunday's race. I guess that's a good thing.
I hope you didn't get speed trapped by the 5-O. The effing cops never bust those out for the cars, yet they do it to cyclists...
Old 03-22-11, 08:00 AM
GirlAnachronism
Bulldozer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mcjimbosandwich
I hope you didn't get speed trapped by the 5-O. The effing cops never bust those out for the cars, yet they do it to cyclists...
No, I managed to get lucky with my timing and just had to cut one interval short by five seconds. It helps that I started at 5:30 when it was still pitch black and no one else was out yet.
Old 03-22-11, 08:07 AM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

Bikes: Affirmative

Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 237 Posts
Where do you guys train in NYC anyway? I ask because I'm moving there in a month or two (probably east village). I figure since my schedule is flexible, I'll probably ride across the GWB most days or take the metro north to a place where dodging traffic and fearing cops isn't something I have to deal with.
Old 03-22-11, 08:07 AM
Hida Yanra
VeloSIRraptor

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
2x20s last night on a twisty/traffic filled road

they both came in within a couple points of my 20' all time number.

yay bikes.
Old 03-22-11, 08:12 AM
echappist
fuggitivo solitario

Originally Posted by TheKillerPenguin
Where do you guys train in NYC anyway? I ask because I'm moving there in a month or two (probably east village). I figure since my schedule is flexible, I'll probably ride across the GWB most days or take the metro north to a place where dodging traffic and fearing cops isn't something I have to deal with.
It used to be Central Park until they decided to crack down.

Since the beginning of the new year, most of my riding have been either indoors or west of the Hudson, although i do hear that the problem isn't nearly as bad at Prospect Park.
Old 03-22-11, 08:13 AM
GirlAnachronism
Bulldozer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TheKillerPenguin
Central Park during the week, over the GWB on the weekends. It's been pretty much fine for the past few months, but apparently they are going crazy again today. I don't think it's sustainable all summer, but I guess we'll see.

PM me when your move gets closer. I spent my first six years here in the EV, it's pretty great. I'm up in East Harlem now, which is better for riding, but worse for eating. Also, you're pretty much my favorite poster in this place so we should totally hang out and ride.
Old 03-22-11, 08:30 AM
echappist
fuggitivo solitario

Central Park during the week, over the GWB on the weekends. It's been pretty much fine for the past few months, but apparently they are going crazy again today. I don't think it's sustainable all summer, but I guess we'll see.

PM me when your move gets closer. I spent my first six years here in the EV, it's pretty great. I'm up in East Harlem now, which is better for riding, but worse for eating. Also, you're pretty much my favorite poster in this place so we should totally hang out and ride.
Strict enforcement will not be sustainable only because they'll go overboard and hit the extreme right side of the Laffer Curve. Right now, it's a poor investment due to the weather, but when the tri-geeks come out en mass when the weather warms, it'll be like shooting fish in a barrel. The cops will then realize that too much enforcement won't generate enough money and relax the enforcement to entice people to come back, only to ticket again when there are enough to ticket. My bet is that it'll eventually settle somewhere in the middle of the Laffer Curve
Old 03-22-11, 08:34 AM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

Sounds good. I'll have my people call your people.
Old 03-22-11, 12:04 PM
aicabsolut

Bikes: 2006 Specialized Roubaix Comp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
45min tempo
Hill repeats.
4:12 (high cadence--I think, my sensor unit is on the fritz)
4:17 (muscle tension)
4:33 (high cadence)
feeling cramped. stop to stretch hamstrings
4:14 (muscle tension)
4:12 (natural effort, which today, was probably on the lower cadence side of things)
45min tempo
Old 03-22-11, 12:16 PM
mattm
**** that

Mentioned: 151 Post(s)
Quoted: 1099 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by Hida Yanra
2x20s last night on a twisty/traffic filled road

they both came in within a couple points of my 20' all time number.

yay bikes.
Indy Valley this weekend? Now's your chance to win that ****...

Training status: in prep for Indy Valley (last year showed the 3-minute climb averaging 370w or 5.36 w/kg - it hurt good), I'm getting in some mileage this week. Power numbers are slowly coming back to what they should be/were before The Accident.

my race videos
Old 03-22-11, 12:27 PM
jwible
Draught

Bikes: N-1 where N = number needed

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
After a rest day I intended to do some SST / interval work. Failed. Legs are still feeling it from the races this weekend. Ended up pushing it for 30 and then cruising for an hour. .80 IF.
Old 03-22-11, 12:29 PM
crapweasel

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mattm
last year showed the 3-minute climb averaging 370w or 5.36 w/kg - it hurt good
Yep, that's gonna hurt. I'm scared to go home and look at my 3-minute numbers.
Old 03-22-11, 12:41 PM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

Ladies and gentlemen, a round of applause please. Today I did pass a milestone which should not go unnoticed.

My stomach no longer touches my bibs when sitting or standing. I've crossed the rubicon, I can call myself fit to race.

Can I get a hell yeah? (hell yeah!)

Today was an hr easy spin. I'm not 100% on what I want to do with the rest of the week. It looks like saturday I'll be doing 140km, and about the same sunday (E3 Harelbeke). I may sandwich some balls to the wall 4X5min intervals into a 2.5-3hr ride tomorrow. The type that make your lungs bleed. Thursday another rest day, then Friday 2hrs z2. That'll give me somethin around 19-20hrs for the week.
Old 03-22-11, 12:47 PM
JohnKScott

Bikes: It has two wheels

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bostongarden
I collected my daughter from her soccer practice, we went for a 50' ride together, then had dinner and now, we're heading out to her favorite ice cream shop -- priceless.
Been MIA for a few days.

Old 03-22-11, 01:02 PM
JohnKScott

Bikes: It has two wheels

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Last base week for me and a recover week. Enjoying the fine Tennessee spring weather and Z1/2 rides the last two days. Though I went longer than I was supposed to both days I kept it easy. And considering my low volume anyway, I'm sure I'm not doing any damage!
Old 03-22-11, 01:26 PM
StefanG

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My first attempt at WRI's: 502w, 491w, 466w, 459w, 454w

My FTP is 245w.

I don't think I went out as hard as I should have to start, maybe the first one I did. But, the last 10 to 15 seconds was so painful, I think I cheated on the next 4 a bit (thinking I'd save a little for the 2nd 30 seconds). I'll try to force myself next time (next week) to start out with a stronger sprint. I don't think I hit 700w in any of my starts, and my 5 second power is right around 1000w.
Old 03-22-11, 01:42 PM
bostongarden
meow

Bikes: 2016 Parlee Altum, 2013 Cannondale Super Six Evo Hi Mod Di2 only, 2011 Cannondale Super Six, Dura Ace 7800, 2007 Cannondale System Six Dura Ace 7800, 1992 Bridgestone RB-1, MB-2, MB-3, MB-5

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnKScott
Been MIA for a few days.

Saturday -- 1 hour with some effort here & there to prep for a race on Sunday
Sunday -- race canceled, so, I worked hard for 3 hours on the road.
Monday -- day off.
Today -- yet to be seen!

But, like you, I am still in base mode and I will likely start intervals and intensity sometime next week.
Old 03-22-11, 02:22 PM
mattm
**** that

Mentioned: 151 Post(s)
Quoted: 1099 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by crapweasel
Yep, that's gonna hurt. I'm scared to go home and look at my 3-minute numbers.
I kind of wish I didn't have the data.. especially b/c my fitness is lower than last year but I'm racing in a higher cat now. (that was from the 4's)

So my plan is to ignore the #'s on the way up the climb, and just keep focused on holding a wheel. It's an easy course - besides that climb.. decent training for Walla Walla though, which features a similar climb that is 3km long.

my race videos
Old 03-22-11, 02:42 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1340 Post(s)
Liked 2,482 Times in 1,457 Posts
1.5 hour ride this morning on the TT bike with 3x10 minutes high cadence SST/z4 intervals.
Old 03-22-11, 02:50 PM
jsutkeepspining
Banned.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
3 hors today with 2 hours of it being low cadence (70-85) tempo. ouch but the end of the 2 hours of tempo my legs basically jsut said screw it. Sprint workout tomorrow
Old 03-22-11, 03:01 PM
mollusk
Elite Fred

Bikes: 2009 Spooky (cracked frame), 2006 Curtlo, 2002 Lemond (current race bike) Zurich, 1987 Serotta Colorado, 1986 Cannondale for commuting, a 1984 Cannondale on loan to my son

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 19 Posts
Yesterday: 2.00 hours. 45 minutes continuous SST and the rest Z2. Gym work at night.
Today: 2.75 hours. 1.5 hours of mostly SST with some Z2 in the mix. The rest Z2.

Wanted to do the local "World's" ride at least once this week (Tuesday and Thursday versions), but hair cut appointment for me and Spawn2 tonight at 6:00 and Gator Sweet 16 game versus BYU on Thursday have pushed things off to next week. That and I am currently riding my back-up bike until I get my regular bike's brakes fixed. It isn't that bad of a bike, but I hadn't ridden it in about a year and it just feels "funny". I don't want to be riding a bike that doesn't feel perfect if I'm in a group hauling ass down the road.
Old 03-22-11, 03:10 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by mollusk
Yesterday: 2.00 hours. 45 minutes continuous SST and the rest Z2. Gym work at night.
Today: 2.75 hours. 1.5 hours of mostly SST with some Z2 in the mix. The rest Z2.

Wanted to do the local "World's" ride at least once this week (Tuesday and Thursday versions), but hair cut appointment for me and Spawn2 tonight at 6:00 and Gator Sweet 16 game versus BYU on Thursday have pushed things off to next week. That and I am currently riding my back-up bike until I get my regular bike's brakes fixed. It isn't that bad of a bike, but I hadn't ridden it in about a year and it just feels "funny". I don't want to be riding a bike that doesn't feel perfect if I'm in a group hauling ass down the road.
I've had that experience when I rode took my Gazelle on a group ride. It's a great bike, fast and lively feeling, but it's a much slower turning bike than my Cervelo and drifted into a guy's line in a turn because I just didn't lean on it hard enough.
Old 03-22-11, 03:49 PM
Ygduf
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Bikes: aggressive agreement is what I ride.

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
sore from sunday trainer interval. 1 x 60 @ 314w, which is only 5w less than I did for the Diablo Hillclimb in October. That I'm doing it inside on a trainer has me feeling pretty good, but I'm paying for 60 seated minutes in hip flexor soreness.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.