Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Utility Cycling
Reload this Page >

How to get your spouse not to object to your spending more $$$ on bikes

Notices
Utility Cycling Want to haul groceries, beer, maybe even your kids? You don't have to live car free to put your bike to use as a workhorse. Here's the place to share and learn about the bicycle as a utility vehicle.

Old 04-06-11, 10:39 AM
Ya Tu Sabes
Rebel Thousandaire

Bikes: Public D8, Yuba Mundo (cargo), Novara Buzz (1-speed, soon to be 2-speed w/ a kickback hub), Xootr 1-speed folder

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

My wife, bless her heart, has had to put up with my bike-obsession for many many years, and I expect she is keeping a running tally of all the money I've spent on various projects, which she'll bring up right when we are breaking the bad news to our kids that they have to attend community college. If I propose making some significant new purchase in the bike department, she usually brings up (rightly) that I already own a garage-full of bicycles and bicycle parts, so how can I possible need another?

Well, I figured out the solution. I gathered up the garage full of bike stuff (about 12 frames, including a Worksman front-loading trike, and too much other stuff to list) and put it all in my truck:

I took this to my friend Chris at Daily Rider Bike, Connecticut's only licensed Yuba distributor, and traded it (along with some cash), for this:

So I get a new bike that I've been coveting, my wife gets the garage she's been coveting, and the expenditure of $400 seems like the best investment ever! (And honestly, I wasn't getting around to any of those projects anyway. It's better to have something I can use every day to take my kids to school than a million half-restored bikes that frustrate me because I never have time to finish working on them.)
Old 04-06-11, 10:51 AM
lucienrau

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Plus you get the excuse to work on the new bike to get it dialed in. Me, I cleared out the basement, gave my beater bike to my brother-in-law...Look honey, we've got room and I need a bike to carry the toddler around on. A big dummy is being built as we speak. Itemizing our savings in only having one car helps too.
Old 04-06-11, 11:14 AM
Ya Tu Sabes
Rebel Thousandaire

Bikes: Public D8, Yuba Mundo (cargo), Novara Buzz (1-speed, soon to be 2-speed w/ a kickback hub), Xootr 1-speed folder

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Yeah. We have two cars, but the second one is a beater truck that cost $1200 and gets about 20 miles a month, so it's pretty much a wash. Plus, as I remind my wife, I don't have time in my life to go to the gym, so the only way I'm going to stay healthy is if I ride a bike everywhere.
Old 04-06-11, 11:47 AM
skijor
on by

Bikes: Waterford RS-33, Salsa Vaya, Bacchetta Giro 20 ATT

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 927 Post(s)
Liked 690 Times in 437 Posts
Good move, and nice Yuba!

I don't have one of those wife thingees to lay the guilt trip. But I did recently thin the herd to four. I could easily get that to three. But biking is fairly cheap as obsessions go. And I do have room in the garage for just one more
Old 04-06-11, 07:35 PM
Ya Tu Sabes
Rebel Thousandaire

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
It's not a guilt trip she lays on me, it's a common sense trip. I'd be ruined without her, and the fact that she approves of this workshop-for-Yuba trade tells me that it really was a good idea!
Old 04-07-11, 04:33 AM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
As long as I don't go over my allowance...or sell something first I am golden. Working on bikes keeps me at home, out of bars and off of street corners....usually

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon
Old 04-07-11, 04:51 AM
FunkyStickman
On a Mission from God

Bikes: '10 Surly LHT, Rat-rod Klunker, '82 Peugeot PH12 Centennial

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
For the spouse, it's almost always about time and money. My wife complains I spend too much time on the bike on Saturdays. I told her if her and the kids would come ride with me, it'd be no problem!

I'm currently looking at selling some of my car's performance parts to afford a new bike. Heh.
Old 04-07-11, 06:17 AM
Jamesw2

Bikes: Trek 1420 triple, Mercier Corvus, Globe 1 700, Surly Disc Trucker, GT Avalanche, GT Grade, GT Helion, Mercier Corvus, Motobacane Boris X7 Fat Bikes,

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
N + 1 Rule

https://www.xtranormal.com/watch/6272...boomer-version
Old 04-07-11, 08:54 AM
vik 
cyclopath

Bikes: Surly Krampus, Surly Straggler, Pivot Mach 6, Bike Friday Tikit, Bike Friday Tandem, Santa Cruz Nomad

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
My policy is as long as I buy my bikes with my money my GF doesn't get a say in things. And I don't tell her how many pairs of shoes or purses one person needs! This seems to be working for us!
Old 04-07-11, 09:35 AM
FunkyStickman
On a Mission from God

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by vik
My policy is as long as I buy my bikes with my money my GF doesn't get a say in things.
LOL @ married guys having "their" money. Just saying.
Old 04-07-11, 11:08 AM
vik 
cyclopath

Bikes: Surly Krampus, Surly Straggler, Pivot Mach 6, Bike Friday Tikit, Bike Friday Tandem, Santa Cruz Nomad

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by FunkyStickman
LOL @ married guys having "their" money. Just saying.
Any relationship including a marriage is an agreement between the two people involved. If you give up control of your money that's your choice, but it's not an essential part of the agreement. I know married couples with separate bank accounts and I know those who share everything including using a single joint email account. I don't think there is a wrong answer. But, if anyone is unhappy with their situation they'd have to ask themselves why did they agree to it in the first place?

Just saying...
Old 04-07-11, 12:26 PM
FunkyStickman
On a Mission from God

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by vik
Any relationship including a marriage is an agreement between the two people involved. If you give up control of your money that's your choice, but it's not an essential part of the agreement.
I can't imagine the kind of relationship that would require that level of individuality... arranged marriages come to mind. In my marriage, I don't "give up control" of my money... my wife and I decide on how to spend it mutually, since it affects both of us, and our kids. That being said, we often make sacrifices for each other.

The only "my money" I have is if I sell something that's mine. She doesn't say anything about how I spend that, as it's basically replacing one posession for another, the money is just a go-between.
Old 04-08-11, 01:20 AM
Gareth

Bikes: 2006 Falcon Explorer Hybrid, 2008 Landrover Visalia Crossover, 2010 Cargo Cycles Senton, 2010 Cargo Cycles Capability, and a 2001 AVD quad pedi-van, 1980 Peugeot Carbolite 10sp racer

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 7 Posts
I just tell Lois that it's desperately needed for research and development.
Old 04-08-11, 08:09 AM
dcrowell
Fat Guy Rolling

Bikes: Bacchetta Agio, 80s Raleigh Record single-speed, Surly Big Dummy

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
When I was married to my first wife, what little money we had was in a joint account. She occasionally worked part-time, I supported us. She wasn't into spending, so it worked.

I didn't start cycling until we were divorced. That made buying bikes less stressful.

My new wife and I have our own checking accounts, and a joint one for joint expenses. We pay our own bills. It works well since she has expenditures that I would never approve of if it were my money. She probably views my bike spending the same way.

I want a SON hub soon. I don't have to discuss it with her. That's nice.
Old 04-08-11, 08:27 AM
vik 
cyclopath

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by dcrowell
My new wife and I have our own checking accounts, and a joint one for joint expenses. We pay our own bills. It works well since she has expenditures that I would never approve of if it were my money. She probably views my bike spending the same way.

I want a SON hub soon. I don't have to discuss it with her. That's nice.
Amen!
Old 04-24-11, 12:22 AM
ace587

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
public storage
Old 05-07-11, 01:20 PM
Footsore Ramble

Bikes: 2008 Surly LHT, 1985 Nishiki Prestige, 1985 Miyata 310, 2013 Surly Troll

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FunkyStickman
I can't imagine the kind of relationship that would require that level of individuality... arranged marriages come to mind.
I don't know if my relationship 'requires' it, but we are very happy keeping separate accounts. We decide who pays which household bills, and otherwise, we are free to spend our own money however we like. We're just both pretty independent people, which is exactly why we have such a fabulous relationship. We've got no need for a joint account, at least at the moment, so why go through the extra hassle and paperwork?
Old 05-07-11, 03:35 PM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
FWIW...seeing how we are comparing accounts

Ours is a joint account and we both have personal accounts. Pay checks go in the joint account then we each get an allowance to spend as we see fit. If we choose to supplement our allowance that is our business. She does wedding planning and directing, I do bicycle repairs and sell parts. Works for us. Large ticket expenditures from the joint account are always discussed and usually planned for well in advance. To us budget is not a dirty word. And we track all household spending.

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon
Old 05-07-11, 03:46 PM
mymojo

Bikes: '10 Specialized Allez, '09 Cervelo S1, '93 Trek T200 (tandem), Rocky Mountain Metro 30

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
As a middle aged cancer survivor, I frame cycling in a health context. Seems to be working so far.
Old 05-08-11, 09:08 PM
MnHPVA Guy

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 11 Posts
The fact that I'm having trouble relating to this thread means I must have married the right girl. 43 years ago.
Old 05-09-11, 01:05 AM
Northwestrider

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker, Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo, Dahon Mu P 24 , Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Rodriguez Tandem, Wheeler MTB

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Get involed in cycling, it's worked for me, it took a while however..
Old 05-09-11, 01:09 AM
Dean7

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was expecting something more from the title.