Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

Training Failure Status

Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Training Failure Status

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-11, 09:55 AM
mollusk
Elite Fred

Bikes: 2009 Spooky (cracked frame), 2006 Curtlo, 2002 Lemond (current race bike) Zurich, 1987 Serotta Colorado, 1986 Cannondale for commuting, a 1984 Cannondale on loan to my son

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by ridethecliche
What does 'roll in the hay' mean?

I am so lost...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vqClW...eature=related
Old 06-28-11, 09:02 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Is your wife a goer? Nudge nudge wink wink!
Old 07-08-11, 04:33 PM
kleinboogie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Been busy with work deadlines and a calf and neck strain. Doctor says to take time off to let it heal. I figure 3 days is enough. I gotta go ride.
Old 07-10-11, 08:54 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2617 Post(s)
Liked 3,131 Times in 1,646 Posts
3hr z2 epic fail today.

The gf and I headed out to the San Marcos circuit course to do a few hot laps. I tried to sprint twice and died about 3 seconds in each time. After a mellow lap we stopped for a sec to talk about ride plans and I started feeling shaky and weak. I realized that I hadn't eaten nearly enough food the day before.

I sent her off to do a couple twin oaks climbing repeats while I chilled at Starbucks and ate one of those breakfast sandwich doo-hickies and a shot of espresso with whipped cream. Much better.

Afterwards we reconvened and took the long way home which resulted in about 50 min of z1.
Old 07-10-11, 10:48 PM
Jancouver

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TMonk
3hr z2 epic fail today.

The gf and I headed out to the San Marcos circuit course to do a few hot laps. I tried to sprint twice and died about 3 seconds in each time. After a mellow lap we stopped for a sec to talk about ride plans and I started feeling shaky and weak. I realized that I hadn't eaten nearly enough food the day before.

I sent her off to do a couple twin oaks climbing repeats while I chilled at Starbucks and ate one of those breakfast sandwich doo-hickies and a shot of espresso with whipped cream. Much better.

Afterwards we reconvened and took the long way home which resulted in about 50 min of z1.
I should go check it out too because if the climb is too hard (for me) I can save some time/money by skipping this race
Old 07-10-11, 10:55 PM
CoyoteEatsGirl
Closet Fred

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jancouver
I should go check it out too because if the climb is too hard (for me) I can save some time/money by skipping this race
It's just a little hill. Ya'll will be big ringing it every lap.
Old 07-17-11, 09:25 PM
echappist
fuggitivo solitario

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
TSS for the last three weeks: 111, 488, 448.

TSS for the three weeks before the 111 TSS week: 711, 797, 649. And here i am wondering why my performance has dipped... It'll take me two more weeks for my CTL to get to the level at the end of the week with the 649 TSS.
Old 07-19-11, 05:22 PM
aicabsolut

Bikes: 2006 Specialized Roubaix Comp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Way too hot outside. I am opposed to riding the trainer in summer....or, really, ever.
Old 07-19-11, 08:59 PM
bostongarden
meow

Bikes: 2016 Parlee Altum, 2013 Cannondale Super Six Evo Hi Mod Di2 only, 2011 Cannondale Super Six, Dura Ace 7800, 2007 Cannondale System Six Dura Ace 7800, 1992 Bridgestone RB-1, MB-2, MB-3, MB-5

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
It doesn't look like I'll be bringing my bike to CA Rental rates for minivans or larger SUVs are through the roof and they have not come down at all -- this is what I need to fit my case and everyone else (including my son's bike; he's already out there, finishing up a ride from Seattle to SF). I have a sweet car rental deal for a Crown Vic, but, the case does not fit (tested it out locally)!!!!!

It will be much more cost effective to rent a bike while I'm out there (or, maybe I'll ride my son's bike and focus on not losing too much fitness). Oh, and another annoying aspect is that there is no bike fee on the airline that I am flying, Frontier!! Double fail.

I did think about renting 2 cars (one for my case and me, and the other for everyone else); my wisdom suggests that this would not go over well in the short or long run (just floated this idea -- let's just say that my hunch is correct) I'll try to pummel myself on the bike just before I go so that I can rationalize some time off; I am due.

Edit: Ya know, this has potential to become a triple fail if the rental agency is out of Crown Vics when I get there and then offers me a minivan instead.
Old 07-24-11, 10:06 AM
echappist
fuggitivo solitario

i'm really contributing to this thread.

f-a-h-k

one more week of not much riding. Hasn't slacked off this much since, well, i donno, since last year after i came back from my injury?

It'll start again tomorrow.
Old 07-24-11, 12:42 PM
mollusk
Elite Fred

Bikes: 2009 Spooky (cracked frame), 2006 Curtlo, 2002 Lemond (current race bike) Zurich, 1987 Serotta Colorado, 1986 Cannondale for commuting, a 1984 Cannondale on loan to my son

About 20 miles from home on today's team ride (about 90 F with a 75 F dew point) I realised that I only had one full water bottle and I was feeling very thirsty. I bid the team adieu and rode home at a sensible, steady, Z2 pace.

In the process I picked up a "Klingon" on the road who thanked me for the pull and told me how much he suffered. I guess it is all relative.

Ran out of water about 0.5 miles from home. When I got home I drank a lot of club soda with lemon juice over ice and watched the end of the Tour.
Old 07-24-11, 02:25 PM
GirlAnachronism
Bulldozer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I tried to ride for one hour and accidentally did four.
Old 07-24-11, 02:27 PM
echappist
fuggitivo solitario

Originally Posted by GirlAnachronism
I tried to ride for one hour and accidentally did four.
please delete your post and repost in the Training Status Thread.

Yours,

Slackers of the 33
Old 07-24-11, 02:36 PM
GirlAnachronism
Bulldozer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Trust me, those hours were a big fail. There were tears.

Six hours on the bike today, with 1.5 of those racing, after a hilly RR yesterday, was not what I should have been doing at all. Despite my attempts to convince my coach otherwise, there is such a thing as too much riding.
Old 07-25-11, 05:49 AM
shovelhd

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GirlAnachronism
Six hours on the bike today, with 1.5 of those racing, after a hilly RR yesterday, was not what I should have been doing at all. Despite my attempts to convince my coach otherwise, there is such a thing as too much riding.
True, but from what I have read, you are on form for the first time in your career, you just missed the podium in a difficult road race, and your coach may have a rest week coming up. All in perspective.
Old 07-25-11, 06:03 AM
GirlAnachronism
Bulldozer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by shovelhd
True, but from what I have read, you are on form for the first time in your career, you just missed the podium in a difficult road race, and your coach may have a rest week coming up. All in perspective.
The program called for one hour easy, not four! I emailed her halfway through the stupid ride (we had been emailing about other stuff anyways) and apologized in advance for going so off-schedule. It's all good though, my legs feel fine this morning. I'm mostly resting this week, and doing an LT test on Thursday.
Old 07-25-11, 06:14 AM
shovelhd

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Old 07-25-11, 08:21 AM
jwible
Draught

Bikes: N-1 where N = number needed

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feeling like someone rebroke my collar bone and dropped a bowling ball on my right scapula.
Old 07-30-11, 02:09 PM
echappist
fuggitivo solitario

I now have concrete proof my the training failure of the last months.

On 6/26, i went for a 108mile ride that included climbing up to Harriman, doing the main climb of the Bear Mt course, going to the top of Perkins (via Palisade Pkwy), and then dragging my ass home. The last hour of the ride was done at 210W AP and 220 NP, both are the highest i've seen at the end of a long base ride. My weight at the time was 151.5lbs.

Fast forward a month. I'm now 155.5lbs again, and the last hour of my 95 mile ride was done at 165 AP and 180NP. FML

The drop in power and increase in weight is probably due to the fact that i biked on fewer than half of the days this month... Pretty soon i'm gonna be the top poster in this thread
Old 07-30-11, 02:45 PM
hammy56
coffee-stained punk

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
^ was there a difference in temp on these days?

its hotter than **** here and its not helping me.
Old 07-30-11, 03:41 PM
echappist
fuggitivo solitario

Originally Posted by hammy56
^ was there a difference in temp on these days?

its hotter than **** here and its not helping me.
there wasn't as it was in the upper 80's on both days. i have no other excuses i could use.

i didn't just fall backwards, i fell back to where i was at the beginning of that last block
Old 07-30-11, 04:03 PM
hammy56
coffee-stained punk

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
meh...**** happens i guess. I had a great 2 hour ride Wed with a 60' set of solid tempo and I felt great. Took Thur off, and Fri I felt like absolute garbage and tempo was difficult. I felt really fatigued for some reason. Nutrition and sleep werent as issue. No idea why. Just one of those things. Maybe a little rest is in order.
Old 07-30-11, 05:54 PM
mollusk
Elite Fred

No idea why. Just one of those things.
That happens. People have been trying to predict this shizz forever. <snarky>Do they still do biorhythms in your newspaper?</snarky>

Maybe a little rest is in order.
When in doubt this is a great idea. However the last time I had a total failure on a training ride the next day I felt awesome!
Old 07-30-11, 07:59 PM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 612 Posts
Originally Posted by echappist
i'm really contributing to this thread.

f-a-h-k

one more week of not much riding. Hasn't slacked off this much since, well, i donno, since last year after i came back from my injury?

It'll start again tomorrow.
Join the club ... I'm supposed to be training ? Well, my racing year is done, so I guess I start spring training a bit early.

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 07-31-11, 01:07 PM
mike868y

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I guess I'm starting my taper a day early :/

The 13 hours of sleep I got last night should have been a clue that the grand fund kicked my arse, but I still thought I had what it took to do a hill workout today.about 30 minutes into the ride, before even getting to the hill, I knew I was done, so I pulled the plug. meh, I've put in a good 6 weeks of hard training (tsb hasn't been positive since 6/19) without one of these day, so it really is to be expected.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.