Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

So are the days of our lives...

Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

So are the days of our lives...

Old 03-28-16, 07:31 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 678 Times in 429 Posts
I found out last Tuesday that we were going to be closed on Friday for Good Friday. Seems weird that a state university would be closed for that, but I'm not going to complain about getting a day off. I ended up using the day to finally do the yardwork I've been saying I needed to do for the last year and a half.

I had 1.5 tons of gravel and 40 bails of pine straw delivered to the house and spent the day putting it out. Truthfully, I could have used another 1 to 1.5 tones of stone. (I've got some major drainage issues, and I am trying to use the stone to better manage them.)

Anyway, all that work came after a hard week of intervals, and by Saturday morning, my legs weren't feeling too hot. Still, I went out for my team ride and managed to survive the ride - I did fall off during the one stretch where some of the guys wanted to push it, but that was just before our planned stop to refill bottles.
Old 03-28-16, 07:48 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4224 Post(s)
Liked 2,944 Times in 1,803 Posts
My son has some sort of weird skin infection (not a good sign when the doctor says, "oh wow," and then calls in the other pediatrician and all the nurses because no one is sure what it is). So anyway, he was in a lot of pain and couldn't eat/sleep most of the weekend. Saturday, I tried the one thing that has always calmed him down in the past - a super long walk. Pushed his stroller 3+ hours in the afternoon in some crappy shoes and seem to have developed some plantar fasciaitis as a result. Hurts like mother every time I put my foot down, not that that's in any way on the same level as the kid's pain.

Old 03-28-16, 08:38 AM
spectastic
commu*ist spy

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by globecanvas
Answer depends on frame of reference I think. On one hand it was very touristy in that there is basically no activity on the island that doesn't involve the tourist economy. On the other hand I don't think there are any resorts at all on the island, at least we didn't see any, it's all small-scale.

We rented snorkel gear for $5/day from an old guy named Crabby in a shack and it seemed like fine quality stuff, better than anything we've used in the past, but we're not exactly expert level. The snorkeling was truly amazing, a thousand times better than anything I've done elsewhere. We snorkeled every day, around reefs, sea grasses, mangroves, etc.

What was different about this vacation compared to our usual third world adventure was the sense of place. Our previous vacation was in Panama and we saw essentially no tourist economy there (I'm sure there is one, we just didn't encounter it). Compared to a trip like that, St. John was very easy, but not as interesting.
Good to hear. I dislike places that have large tourist destinations. I think they tend to mask the native feel of the location with hustlers and rip offs. My parents are huge suckers. I was having a perfect day snorkeling in mexico, because they lease the equipment for daily use... until my dad wanted to spend $70 to get me diving gear, seeing the same ****, except with an o2 tank. The reef wasn't even that great... at all.... I just wanted to swim with fins because they wereally awesome

I think that was cozumel. The cruise stopped in a more rural location the day before. As soon as we left the ship, we were having people saying and doing anything short of putting hands on us to get us to buy their services over the others.. "that man liar. Come with us. We take you to big Aztec ruins. That man trying trick you"..... my parents were ready to spend all kinds of cash on mediocre services that you can find anywhere. Mtbing was one of the cheapest listings at 149.99.. for 2-3 hours.

Last edited by spectastic; 03-28-16 at 08:47 AM.
Old 03-28-16, 09:01 AM
canuckbelle

Bikes: Scott Foil 10, Di2

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Anyone in SF area maybe have a bike with a power meter I could rent/borrow for a ride on Thursday??
Old 03-28-16, 10:26 AM
grolby

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
Doing some preliminary research on windows - we're painting the house this summer, and thinking painting the falling-apart original casement windows on the sun porch is probably not worth it. So, we're thinking about replacing them. So far, seems your basic single-light modern wood casement window actually isn't as expensive as I would've thought. But, oh, you want divided lights to match the style of your Cape? Better bend over. What I'm learning about house stuff: the basics sure aren't cheap, but prices there seem reasonable enough. But they really nail you on the details. Even the tiniest style upgrade costs a fortune. And since you have to live with the plain Jane option for years, it's easy to see why people are willing to pay the asking price. Not sure we can afford it, though. Sigh.
Old 03-28-16, 10:36 AM
himespau 

After living in a house with wooden casement windows that are alternatively rotting and extremely drafty or swelled shut depending on which window (even in the same room), when I get the money to replace I'm going aluminum casement. Of course a lot of the problem is the previous owner didn't take care of his house at all and let ivy cover the damn thing, but still, it's hassle I hope to avoid in the future.

Old 03-28-16, 10:45 AM
grolby

Yeah, we have a similar issue where the previous homeowners just let everything kind of fall apart. We had a lot of deferred maintenance issues to deal with when we bought the house - the painting is one of them. It just happened to be a lower priority than things like the gutters, which we had to replace at an exorbitant price last year (going from wood to aluminum = $$). As are these windows, which if maintained probably wouldn't need anything except some new hardware. But sadly they weren't maintained, and the frames are falling apart, the glazing is peeling off and it's just a big mess. I can see the appeal of aluminum, but dangit the wood just looks so much better!
Old 03-28-16, 10:57 AM
Harlan
Tyrannosaurus Rexitis

Bikes: Scott Addict 6870

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Gah, thanks for reminding me why I don't want to buy a house that needs work.

And my brother gets through telling me how he hasn't slept through the night since his daughter was born (7 months ago) and how he was currently cleaning puke from his new car, then says you should have kids! It'll be fun to have them at the same time.

I'm so happy I rent and just have dogs.
Old 03-28-16, 11:38 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 678 Times in 429 Posts
Originally Posted by himespau
After living in a house with wooden casement windows that are alternatively rotting and extremely drafty or swelled shut depending on which window (even in the same room), when I get the money to replace I'm going aluminum casement. Of course a lot of the problem is the previous owner didn't take care of his house at all and let ivy cover the damn thing, but still, it's hassle I hope to avoid in the future.
You should also consider vinyl or fiberglass.
Old 03-28-16, 11:59 AM
globecanvas
Ninny

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by grolby
Doing some preliminary research on windows - we're painting the house this summer, and thinking painting the falling-apart original casement windows on the sun porch is probably not worth it. So, we're thinking about replacing them. So far, seems your basic single-light modern wood casement window actually isn't as expensive as I would've thought. But, oh, you want divided lights to match the style of your Cape? Better bend over. What I'm learning about house stuff: the basics sure aren't cheap, but prices there seem reasonable enough. But they really nail you on the details. Even the tiniest style upgrade costs a fortune. And since you have to live with the plain Jane option for years, it's easy to see why people are willing to pay the asking price. Not sure we can afford it, though. Sigh.

Advice 1, don't go with the in-between option of grilles that go over the glass to imitate true divided-light muntins. It's inconvenient and looks cheap.

Advice 2, IMO single-light windows look fine when modernizing a house. Depending on how old it is, your house may also have originally have had wooden gutters, asbestos siding, or any number of other visible features that are no longer appropriate. Replacing windows with something modern is fine.
Old 03-28-16, 12:11 PM
grolby

Originally Posted by Harlan
Gah, thanks for reminding me why I don't want to buy a house that needs work.

And my brother gets through telling me how he hasn't slept through the night since his daughter was born (7 months ago) and how he was currently cleaning puke from his new car, then says you should have kids! It'll be fun to have them at the same time.

I'm so happy I rent and just have dogs.
Thing is, the houses that don't need work just aren't affordable. Not for people like me, anyway. Owning a home isn't the be-all, end-all of everything, but it is nice to have total control over my house and never have to worry about needing to move because the owner sold the building, or the rent got jacked up, or whatever. And it's a lot of money, but the way the market is currently going, we're adding more value to the house than we've spent. Still, I don't think it's a good idea to get too comfortable with the idea of the house as an investment. The idea is that I want to a) ensure it stays standing, and b) make it more pleasant to live in. We want to stay here for a long while.

Originally Posted by globecanvas
Advice 1, don't go with the in-between option of grilles that go over the glass to imitate true divided-light muntins. It's inconvenient and looks cheap.

Advice 2, IMO single-light windows look fine when modernizing a house. Depending on how old it is, your house may also have originally have had wooden gutters, asbestos siding, or any number of other visible features that are no longer appropriate. Replacing windows with something modern is fine.
Yeah, the windows in the main house were replaced sometime in the last decade or so, and they have those grilles (though they're internal, not external). And yep, they look pretty terrible. Overall, they're not very nice, and as replacements, they make the original small windows even smaller. But they're tight, and they're there, so we're stuck with them for a good long while. I figure we're probably going to end up with the single-light windows and you're probably right, they'll look fine. We did indeed replace wooden gutters with aluminum last summer, and they look like they belong there.
Old 03-28-16, 02:03 PM
Blackdays
Boom.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by canuckbelle
Anyone in SF area maybe have a bike with a power meter I could rent/borrow for a ride on Thursday??
Size?
Old 03-28-16, 02:07 PM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 612 Posts
Originally Posted by grolby
We went with SDL (Simulated divided lights) on most windows. The good ones, with dividers between the panes, and permanent grills inside & out, look just as good as TDL, but less $$.
Much nicer (but more $$) that the simple grills.
Also got aluminum clad exterior, with wood interior.

https://www.weathershield.com/News/WS...d-Lites-Window

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html

Last edited by Homebrew01; 03-28-16 at 02:33 PM.
Old 03-28-16, 02:18 PM
Enthalpic
Killing Rabbits

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 217 Times in 102 Posts
My son has some sort of weird skin infection (not a good sign when the doctor says, "oh wow," and then calls in the other pediatrician and all the nurses because no one is sure what it is). .
Pictures please .
Old 03-28-16, 04:16 PM
canuckbelle

Bikes: Scott Foil 10, Di2

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Blackdays
Size?
I can make 54-58cm work.
Old 03-28-16, 04:32 PM
ridethecliche
Batüwü Creakcreak

Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 160 Posts
Originally Posted by revchuck
I've got an FSA SL-K Light, BB30, 53/39, 172.5 that I'd part with cheap.
I'll talk to him and get back to you.

Originally Posted by carpediemracing
Tell your buddy that 170s are in. I'll send you the virtually brand new cheap SRAM 170mm cranks off my track bike. It was a double, I just used it with one ring. I have the English BB cups somewhere, I'll locate them if you want the cranks. Heck I think I even have the box the cranks came in. On chainrings, I'm not so helpful, but I have some light but somewhat played 53x39 130BCD rings off the Cannondale. I don't have many 130 BCD rings. I have Record cranks that I want to install on the track bike, I was going to move the SRAM cranks to the mountain bike (which I will only ride on the road), but if it gets you your SRM back, I'll donate to the cause.

Cranks are these, and I think they are in this exact condition now.

Also you may be able to upgrade your SRM to wireless, ask SRM. It's in their FAQ.
Haha, the kid is like 6'3. seeing him on 170's would be comical.
Old 03-28-16, 05:17 PM
Blackdays
Boom.

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by canuckbelle
I can make 54-58cm work.
Ah - unfortunately I'm tiny so my frames are 50's. Shouldn't have trouble finding a bike in that size though.
Old 03-28-16, 05:47 PM
carpediemracing 

Bikes: Tsunami road bikes, Dolan DF4 track

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 102 Posts
Originally Posted by ridethecliche
Haha, the kid is like 6'3. seeing him on 170's would be comical.
Hm. 175s... I wonder what I have. Want me to check? The SRMs are off limits. I might have some Octagon whatever BB spindle 175s.
"...during the Lance years, being fit became the No. 1 thing. Totally the only thing. It’s a big part of what we do, but fitness is not the only thing. There’s skills, there’s tactics … there’s all kinds of stuff..." Tim Johnson
Old 03-28-16, 09:12 PM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3374 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
Well it wasn't a race, but junior tested himself against the Como street long elite (Google if the ride is unknown to you) on Easter Sunday. Unfortunately when he gets this fit he also gets sick. Redlands is 9 days away.
If he maintains this form (no getting sick) he should do well. Big if, as that race is a whole different level.
Still, this is the only break I know of started in canyon held to the end. I enjoyed it.
https://vimeo.com/160564152

Last edited by Doge; 03-28-16 at 09:35 PM.
Old 03-29-16, 06:00 AM
beatlebee 

Bikes: i may have bike(s)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
puppy so strong! @Doge
Old 03-29-16, 06:51 AM
himespau 

My son has some sort of weird skin infection (not a good sign when the doctor says, "oh wow," and then calls in the other pediatrician and all the nurses because no one is sure what it is).
Originally Posted by Enthalpic
Pictures please .
Yeah, it's a bit too early for me to do that to everyone here (I have pictures though because they want us to take them every day to compare to see whether they're getting better or worse.
My best guess for what's going on:
He had conjunctivitis 2 1/2 weeks back and went on broad spectrum antibiotics for that. A week or so ago, when he came off those, he got his 15 month course of vaccines. So now you've got a little boy with a somewhat stressed immune system (vaccines - which I wholeheartedly believe are a good thing) and a disturbed skin microbiota that might be biases towards antibiotic resistant streps (thanks to the broad spectrum antibiotics). Combine that with the fact that he perpetually has eczema and you've got a perfect setup for impetigo, which he probably started getting at a low level last week. We were notified yesterday that one of his classmates in his day care has been diagnosed with hand, foot, and mouth, so he probably picked that up on Friday on top of the impetigo, and together they've made the perfect storm of skin infections (it kind of looks like either one in parts but doesn't completely look like one or the other - and there might be some of his really bad eczema presenting too). Either the strep also migrated to his throat or it's the hand, foot, and mouth making it painful for him to swallow (plus, he's teething so has lots of extra saliva) and he's drooling all over the place too. If he were a traveler coming back from a third world tropical country instead of a toddler from Kentucky, some parts of his body would make me say early stage Hansen's (well, maybe not quite, but it is awful with swollen, discolored, uneven crusted over hands, arms, and cheeks while his torso and legs have an extensive spotted rash).

Old 03-29-16, 09:09 AM
hubcyclist

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh RX 1.0, 2018 Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked 632 Times in 337 Posts
Saw on my FB feed that a childhood friend of mine is going to be a grandfather. The wrinkle here is we are 35/36 yrs old. I'm not even 5 years into being a parent myself, it just blows my mind
Old 03-29-16, 12:24 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by hubcyclist
Saw on my FB feed that a childhood friend of mine is going to be a grandfather. The wrinkle here is we are 35/36 yrs old. I'm not even 5 years into being a parent myself, it just blows my mind
I get this. I grew up in a small town (my folks still live there) and many of my childhood friends got married and had kids right out of high school. 18+18=36=grandparent before 40.
Old 03-29-16, 01:31 PM
Enthalpic
Killing Rabbits

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 217 Times in 102 Posts
Yeah, it's a bit too early for me to do that to everyone here (I have pictures though because they want us to take them every day to compare to see whether they're getting better or worse.
My best guess for what's going on:
He had conjunctivitis 2 1/2 weeks back and went on broad spectrum antibiotics for that. A week or so ago, when he came off those, he got his 15 month course of vaccines. So now you've got a little boy with a somewhat stressed immune system (vaccines - which I wholeheartedly believe are a good thing) and a disturbed skin microbiota that might be biases towards antibiotic resistant streps (thanks to the broad spectrum antibiotics). Combine that with the fact that he perpetually has eczema and you've got a perfect setup for impetigo, which he probably started getting at a low level last week. We were notified yesterday that one of his classmates in his day care has been diagnosed with hand, foot, and mouth, so he probably picked that up on Friday on top of the impetigo, and together they've made the perfect storm of skin infections (it kind of looks like either one in parts but doesn't completely look like one or the other - and there might be some of his really bad eczema presenting too). Either the strep also migrated to his throat or it's the hand, foot, and mouth making it painful for him to swallow (plus, he's teething so has lots of extra saliva) and he's drooling all over the place too. If he were a traveler coming back from a third world tropical country instead of a toddler from Kentucky, some parts of his body would make me say early stage Hansen's (well, maybe not quite, but it is awful with swollen, discolored, uneven crusted over hands, arms, and cheeks while his torso and legs have an extensive spotted rash).
That sounds rough... hope he recovers quickly. Fever?
Old 03-29-16, 02:08 PM
himespau 

Originally Posted by Enthalpic
That sounds rough... hope he recovers quickly. Fever?
No fever, thankfully, but it does look like he just dunked his hands in a fryer full of hot grease. So swollen, cracked and nasty. Unfortunately, as long as they don't have a confirmed diagnosis, he can't go back to day care, so my wife and I are alternating taking time off around our teaching schedules (not that I dislike a little time off with the little one). We both ended up using him is examples in our microbiology classes yesterday, so that was good timing.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.