Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

So are the days of our lives...

Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

So are the days of our lives...

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-16, 09:08 AM
canuckbelle

Bikes: Scott Foil 10, Di2

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by PepeM
I'm jealous of people that live in places where there are races all the time. I get one a month if lucky.
I do a lot of 3-5hr drives...there are next to no races closer than 3hrs from me.
Old 05-05-16, 09:09 AM
PepeM

Mentioned: 180 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2739 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 59 Posts
Nevermind then, I guess I'm just lazy.
Old 05-05-16, 10:29 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by PepeM
I'm jealous of people that live in places where there are races all the time. I get one a month if lucky.
The flip side is getting guilt-trolling emails and FB posts from teammates when you're not racing every damn weekend.
Old 05-05-16, 11:07 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 142 Post(s)
Quoted: 2673 Post(s)
Liked 3,190 Times in 1,678 Posts
Just put in my 2 weeks. My mgr flipped out... this is kinda crazy. It's been a good 5 years.

Expecting counteroffer in 3...2...
Old 05-05-16, 01:13 PM
Flatballer
No matches

Bikes: two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1398 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 250 Posts
That sucks. People take things personally.

I still haven't gotten the go ahead from my new company to give my notice (I've signed the offer, but their contract with the company isn't finalized yet and could theoretically fall apart, so they don't want me hung out to dry). My actual boss (who has only been my boss a few weeks and I've never met) is on vacation this week. My old boss (who I actually know and like) just sent an e-mail that he'll be out of the office tomorrow taking vacation. I kind of needed to give notice tomorrow in order to have it be 2 actual weeks and still make the start date at the new place. If I get the go ahead tomorrow, I have no one to tell to start the clock on 2 weeks. I'd also have to have my final day on a Monday, which would be weird.
Old 05-05-16, 01:55 PM
rideaz

Bikes: Giant TCR, Giant Anthem, Felt CX

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TMonk
Just put in my 2 weeks. My mgr flipped out... this is kinda crazy. It's been a good 5 years.

Expecting counteroffer in 3...2...
Good luck! Do you have something else lined up?

I tried to turn in my notice a couple months ago, and my boss freaked out. I was totally surprised because I'm not doing a job where I'm irreplaceable (office asst). I had just found something closer to home with better schedule. He offered me more money and more flexibility in my schedule so I stayed because I love my job. It's nice to be wanted! The only downside is one particular coworker who thinks I did it on purpose to get a raise :-/
Old 05-05-16, 02:12 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Hope the smoke clears soon on your situation @Flatballer.
@rideaz I do, starting sooner than I would like at 5/23. Ideally I would have another week here and another week off to relax.
Old 05-05-16, 09:59 PM
carpediemracing 

Bikes: Tsunami road bikes, Dolan DF4 track

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 102 Posts
Originally Posted by rideaz

I tried to turn in my notice a couple months ago, and my boss freaked out. I was totally surprised because I'm not doing a job where I'm irreplaceable (office asst). I had just found something closer to home with better schedule. He offered me more money and more flexibility in my schedule so I stayed because I love my job. It's nice to be wanted! The only downside is one particular coworker who thinks I did it on purpose to get a raise :-/
I think that's great, meaning you honestly wanted to leave and they honestly wanted you to stay. I hope that you make your feelings about your job clear, although I think they must know that you enjoy working there, I'm sure all of what you're saying seeps through how you are at work.

I regularly go in where I used to work (the hardware store). Yesterday I said something to a customer who I recognized, "I can ring you out but just to let you know I don't work here anymore." "What, when did you stop working here?" "4 years ago, when my son turned 2 months old."

Then, from around the corner, a guy trotted over. "You haven't worked here in 4 years?! Man, it seems like it was yesterday." Then he went back to whatever he was doing.

Today, I went in again (we're doing a project at home, keep running out of stuff). Another old time customer came up to the counter as I rang my stuff out. I gave the same speech to him. Yet another customer came up to the counter. "Wait, you haven't worked here for 4 years?! It seems like yesterday!".

My (former) boss, who was helping other folks out, heard everything. When she came back to the counter she was smiling. "They all miss you here."
"...during the Lance years, being fit became the No. 1 thing. Totally the only thing. It’s a big part of what we do, but fitness is not the only thing. There’s skills, there’s tactics … there’s all kinds of stuff..." Tim Johnson
Old 05-05-16, 10:09 PM
carpediemracing 

Margarita. Just saying.
"...during the Lance years, being fit became the No. 1 thing. Totally the only thing. It’s a big part of what we do, but fitness is not the only thing. There’s skills, there’s tactics … there’s all kinds of stuff..." Tim Johnson
Old 05-05-16, 10:17 PM
carpediemracing 

So I've been thinking about this guy who succumbed to cancer. He was 28 or 29 or something, absurdly young. He was obviously well loved because there has been a huge outpouring of posts on FB (and I haven't even looked anywhere else). I had only peripheral type interactions with him (I was a promoter, he was a racer, and there was a question on his placing). He never got mad, he expressed his frustration, but he was the absolute epitome of the dream/ideal racer.

Now I know that a guy like that was like that because that's the way he was brought up to be, and that's the way he was. He didn't do it for accolades, he did it because he thought it was the right thing to do. When he protested (meaning officially challenged, not complained) his results, he didn't know he was going to be gone in a couple years. He was living an honorable life and acted in a respectful and honorable way because he wanted to do so.

I think someone like that, who touched so many lives, ought to know all that stuff before he succumbs. I know my mom, when she knew her game was over, she basically went into waiting mode. It was a tough time. A lot, and I mean a LOT, of people said beautiful things about her at her memorial. They shared experiences, they talked about how my mom changed their life. My mom might have known of some or even many of these people, but I have to believe that she didn't know all of them.

I think there ought to be a point where someone can say, "Look, it's game over for me. I don't know how long I have but I'm signing out in the next week or two. I hope everyone has a good life and all the best." And people can share their stories with the person that affected them, as well as everyone around that person.

In the old days it wouldn't really work. Nowadays, with FB/Twitter, I think it wouldn't be unreasonable. I think it would be fantastic to be able to show that person just how much they influenced those around them.
Old 05-05-16, 10:59 PM
ridethecliche
Batüwü Creakcreak

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 161 Posts
Originally Posted by rideaz

If you don't like that coworker and your office/boss doesn't either, you should ask them to try doing the same 'trick'.
Old 05-06-16, 06:17 AM
shovelhd

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by carpediemracing
Margarita. Just saying.
Woah. This is an epic moment, folks.
Old 05-06-16, 06:55 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Ha!
Old 05-06-16, 07:53 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8313 Post(s)
Liked 9,108 Times in 4,503 Posts
I think there ought to be a point where someone can say, "Look, it's game over for me. I don't know how long I have but I'm signing out in the next week or two. I hope everyone has a good life and all the best." And people can share their stories with the person that affected them, as well as everyone around that person.
It's not easy for some of us to say goodbye, let alone express our feelings to that person. When my friend (best man at my wedding) got sick I went to see him in the hospital and we chatted for an hour and a half and I spoke to him on the phone once more before he passed. I regretted not saying some things I should have said, and even at his service I didn't speak about him but there were many others and people were trying to wrap it up, so I gave up.
The last time I saw my dad he was in the hospital and again, a short, emotionless session of small talk before I left.
I don't know what I could have said, our family was pretty disfunctional, but I wish he could have known more about me as an adult. I wish we could have done something together at some point.
Same thing with my brother. Last time I saw him I drove to Tucson to visit him and I'm glad I had that time with him. I didn't know how sick he was but I hope he knew I loved him. It just wasn't a word that was used in our house, ever.
Old 05-06-16, 07:59 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8313 Post(s)
Liked 9,108 Times in 4,503 Posts
In other cheerful news, the landlady dropped by last night with an eviction notice. Guess she figures it will be easier to sell the house without us in here.
New management at the job has brought in another guy to split work with me so my pay has been halved. Told them I was pissed and considering quitting and they said they didn't want me to quit and they were going to fix things somehow.
They said they thought I was going to retire or go part-time. I told them months ago I couldn't because of losing the house and Mrs. John losing her job.
I need to go for a long ride in the mountains.
Old 05-06-16, 08:09 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

crap. hope things work out for you @big john.
Old 05-06-16, 08:13 AM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 752 Times in 342 Posts
So I've been thinking about this guy who succumbed to cancer. He was 28 or 29 or something, absurdly young. He was obviously well loved because there has been a huge outpouring of posts on FB (and I haven't even looked anywhere else). I had only peripheral type interactions with him (I was a promoter, he was a racer, and there was a question on his placing). He never got mad, he expressed his frustration, but he was the absolute epitome of the dream/ideal racer.

Now I know that a guy like that was like that because that's the way he was brought up to be, and that's the way he was. He didn't do it for accolades, he did it because he thought it was the right thing to do. When he protested (meaning officially challenged, not complained) his results, he didn't know he was going to be gone in a couple years. He was living an honorable life and acted in a respectful and honorable way because he wanted to do so.

I think someone like that, who touched so many lives, ought to know all that stuff before he succumbs. I know my mom, when she knew her game was over, she basically went into waiting mode. It was a tough time. A lot, and I mean a LOT, of people said beautiful things about her at her memorial. They shared experiences, they talked about how my mom changed their life. My mom might have known of some or even many of these people, but I have to believe that she didn't know all of them.

In the old days it wouldn't really work. Nowadays, with FB/Twitter, I think it wouldn't be unreasonable. I think it would be fantastic to be able to show that person just how much they influenced those around them.

I think your point is well taken, but in this case a bit off. Loads of folks regularly visited Zack. Wrote him. Messages were played at Yankee stadium. There were consistent messages about people's love and care for him, both overt and private.
Old 05-06-16, 08:38 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4243 Post(s)
Liked 2,953 Times in 1,811 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
In
Sounds like the perfect solution for now. Hope the rest gets worked out.

Old 05-06-16, 08:41 AM
grolby

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
Good luck big john.

I just had an email and then a phone call with a headhunter. That was a new and somewhat strange experience. I'd like to be flattered, but really they weren't looking for ME specifically, but to fill positions at an expanding pharmaceutical startup in the area. Still, it could get me a job interview, and I won't turn that down. Reminds me that I should really dive back into my job search. I got pretty disheartened back in early March or so and stopped for a while. Congrats to our job landers, by the way, and good luck to shovel!
Old 05-06-16, 08:58 AM
carpediemracing 

Originally Posted by gsteinb

I think your point is well taken, but in this case a bit off. Loads of folks regularly visited Zack. Wrote him. Messages were played at Yankee stadium. There were consistent messages about people's love and care for him, both overt and private.
I'm glad that this was the case for Zack. He was obviously super respected. I've never seen so many FB posts about anyone. Okay, granted, I don't have a lot of people passing away in my feed, but still, the depth of his reach surprised me. Days and days of stuff.

When I tried to keep the Series going there were a lot of messages of support. I told the Missus that I felt like I died and I was reading what people would say about me. That's when I first thought of these "memorials before the person goes" kind of thing. It brings to mind Eddy Merckx and how he doesn't like that monument of him on some climb because "he wasn't dead yet".
Old 05-06-16, 08:59 AM
carpediemracing 

Originally Posted by big john
In other cheerful news, the landlady dropped by last night with an eviction notice. Guess she figures it will be easier to sell the house without us in here.
New management at the job has brought in another guy to split work with me so my pay has been halved. Told them I was pissed and considering quitting and they said they didn't want me to quit and they were going to fix things somehow.
They said they thought I was going to retire or go part-time. I told them months ago I couldn't because of losing the house and Mrs. John losing her job.
Jeepers. I can't imagine.
Old 05-06-16, 09:13 AM
Gramercy

Bikes: Trek 1.2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's really scary that he was racing bikes just 6 months ago. I didn't even know he was sick. Terrible news.
Old 05-06-16, 09:48 AM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 752 Times in 342 Posts
@TheKillerPenguin you been here?

The Hop - Beacon

Going for mother's day before a concert
Old 05-06-16, 09:57 AM
Ygduf
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Bikes: aggressive agreement is what I ride.

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Who has had a vasectomy, and how's the discomfort level, 1-10?
Old 05-06-16, 10:42 AM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

Bikes: Affirmative

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 237 Posts
Originally Posted by gsteinb
@TheKillerPenguin you been here?

The Hop - Beacon

Going for mother's day before a concert
That's right down the street from me. I haven't been to their new location but I've heard nothing but good things. The food is always top notch (when I went to their old place), and they keep good beers on tap.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.