Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

So are the days of our lives...

Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

So are the days of our lives...

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-16, 06:36 AM
echappist
fuggitivo solitario

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
have a question for the collective braintrust of the 33

After having lived in my current apartment for 3.5 years, i'll be moving out of my current apartment in about 3 months and will have two issues to deal with.

The minor one is that the ideal move out time would be 8/15. For every place where i've rented places, landlords allowed me to pay prorated portions for half month's rent; however, i'd like to know if this is a universal thing or if it's case dependent. Right now, i'm paying month-to-month.

The more serious one is that my carpet is a bit "mottled" to say the least, and there are also some other damages (hello Goof Off on lino tiles). If i were my own landlord, i probably wouldn't refund any or at least a majority of the security deposit ($1200) as that may be the cost of replacing ~400 sq ft of carpet. If i were to act in a completely honorable way, i would write something along the lines of no need to refund anything. But if i were to act to act according to what is ethically acceptable, I would probably just leave and wait to see how much gets refunded. While there's a chance i get nothing back, i think i may also get a quarter or half of that deposit back. This is not something i'd lose sleep over if i don't act in the most honorable way possible, but i would like to get a sense of what others may do. FWIW, the carpets were clean but not new when i moved in (so amortized over several leasees), and not all of it needs replacement.

thanks in advance!

Last edited by echappist; 05-09-16 at 06:40 AM.
Old 05-09-16, 06:44 AM
echappist
fuggitivo solitario

Originally Posted by TMonk
Finally checked this out.... Wow!!!!! Not only does the kid clearly practice, but he's got soul! Can't teach that. My favorite of the three was trio for sure. I also thoroughly enjoyed his take of "Round Midnight" in the second video - that's one of my favorites to play personally.

Thanks for posting.

added in edit: "It might as well be spring" has always been a great melody.

that's the album you play when you just want to drift asleep on a warm spring or fall day. quite charming
Old 05-09-16, 06:44 AM
Flatballer
No matches

Bikes: two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1398 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 250 Posts
For the first one I don't know. But the second, there's no way I would voluntarily give up my security deposit. I wouldn't fight about it either if I didn't get it all back and knew I had damaged some stuff beyond normal wear and tear.
Old 05-09-16, 07:14 AM
rideaz

Bikes: Giant TCR, Giant Anthem, Felt CX

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Regarding the deposit, ball is in their court. They will assess the damage and estimate cost to repair/replace and get back to you with a number. They will then expect you to argue/negotiate at which time you can decide if they are being fair and if you want to dispute the amount of the refund.
Old 05-09-16, 07:44 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 678 Times in 429 Posts
I've always done everything I could to get my complete security deposit back. That includes borrowing a steamer to clean the carpeting.

The only time I did not get 100 percent back was when I accidentally spilled some bleach on the carpet, leaving a few white spots. I cleaned and repaired as best I could the damage done by the dog, which included chewing on a door frame.
Old 05-09-16, 07:54 AM
carpediemracing 

Bikes: Tsunami road bikes, Dolan DF4 track

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 102 Posts
Originally Posted by echappist
have a question for the collective braintrust of the 33

After having lived in my current apartment for 3.5 years, i'll be moving out of my current apartment in about 3 months and will have two issues to deal with.

The minor one is that the ideal move out time would be 8/15. For every place where i've rented places, landlords allowed me to pay prorated portions for half month's rent; however, i'd like to know if this is a universal thing or if it's case dependent. Right now, i'm paying month-to-month.

The more serious one is that my carpet is a bit "mottled" to say the least, and there are also some other damages (hello Goof Off on lino tiles). If i were my own landlord, i probably wouldn't refund any or at least a majority of the security deposit ($1200) as that may be the cost of replacing ~400 sq ft of carpet. If i were to act in a completely honorable way, i would write something along the lines of no need to refund anything. But if i were to act to act according to what is ethically acceptable, I would probably just leave and wait to see how much gets refunded. While there's a chance i get nothing back, i think i may also get a quarter or half of that deposit back. This is not something i'd lose sleep over if i don't act in the most honorable way possible, but i would like to get a sense of what others may do. FWIW, the carpets were clean but not new when i moved in (so amortized over several leasees), and not all of it needs replacement.

thanks in advance!
Originally Posted by rideaz
Regarding the deposit, ball is in their court. They will assess the damage and estimate cost to repair/replace and get back to you with a number. They will then expect you to argue/negotiate at which time you can decide if they are being fair and if you want to dispute the amount of the refund.
Month to month - doing a half month would be fair and normal but some landlords won't do that. It's a good thing when it happens.

Deposit - +1, ball is in their court. Usually on move out someone examines the apartment with you (did you have a walk through when you moved in?). We lived in an apartment for a year while we looked for a house up here. On move out they did a walk through. We did some damage (scrapes on wall from moving bed up very narrow stairway, bike tire scuff marks along a long wall) but we also cleaned up a lot (storage area was cleaner than when we moved in, such that the apartment rep person commented on how clean it was). We got 100% of our deposit back.

Landlords expect some damage/wear. It's only normal. Clean it as best you can and go from there. If they have to put on a coat of paint on the walls or do a deep cleaning of a rug that's normal.

The Missus's mom and step dad own a few "units" (typically multi-family houses). The nightmares they see would make them love you as a tenant, if that's all you're worried about. Moldy shower/baths, literally everything left behind except some clothing, units that looked like a scene from a movie where an apartment gets robbed, non-pay of rent for eons, etc.

One of my old teammates worked for a guy that owned a zillion apartments. The teammate was a painter, he'd paint 1 or 2 apartments each day, that was his full time job for 10 or 15 years. They painted after every "move out", it was just the way the guy ran his apartments.
"...during the Lance years, being fit became the No. 1 thing. Totally the only thing. It’s a big part of what we do, but fitness is not the only thing. There’s skills, there’s tactics … there’s all kinds of stuff..." Tim Johnson
Old 05-09-16, 08:22 AM
grolby

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
Agreed, never voluntarily give up any part of your security deposit. They're already the ones in the position of power should you wish to argue a claim. Some degree of repairing and refreshing of an apartment after a long tenancy is a normal cost of business that any landlord should have taken into account.

I've only once lost part of a security deposit, by the way, and I'm quite confident it had more to do with us being a PITA than any actual damages. We left the place in better shape than we found it (holy hell the mold in the shower, and the dog hair...). But we were a PITA because they were crappy landlords. When it came down to it, I wanted to be done with those people and it didn't seem worth fighting them over the $200 or whatever it was.
Old 05-09-16, 08:25 AM
echappist
fuggitivo solitario

Thanks for all the info! this is the sort of real adult experiences i havent had as i spent most of my first 30 years "institutionalized"
Old 05-09-16, 08:35 AM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

Bikes: Affirmative

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 237 Posts
My 2 cents - if it's some sort of rental corp I'd just see what happens. They may have deals with various vendors and might be able to replace it for cheaper than you'd expect. My situation is pretty rare I think, in that my landlord actually lives in the apartment next to mine in the building and is pretty awesome, so if I were in your situation I would definitely give him a heads up...but I wouldn't offer the whole security deposit. He already has all that cash on hand so he already gets to decide whether or not he's going to use all of it anyway.
Old 05-09-16, 10:08 AM
echappist
fuggitivo solitario

yeah, good point.

and i think i paid to learn the lesson re: walkthrough. My first apartment changed ownership between the time i signed the lease and the time i moved out. It has an attic section that was full of clutter, and we didn't really find out about the attic well until we moved in. There was also a wine rack installed in the kitchen. In the end, the rental company dinged the deposit for both items (the latter seems especially egregious). Lesson learned...
Old 05-09-16, 10:45 AM
rankin116

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I need a new catalytic converter

I have an appointment with a sports Dr about hip pain that might require an MRI to figure out

I want to order more kit and a skinsuit

Guess which one I'll probably do first?
Old 05-09-16, 10:50 AM
Wylde06

Bikes: Cannondale Six13

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by rankin116
I have an appointment with a sports Dr about hip pain that might require an MRI to figure out
What kind of pain? I ended up getting a MRI on my hip 1 1/2 years ago for it come back perfect..turns out I just needed to find the right physical therapist
Old 05-09-16, 10:52 AM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

I just realized how creepy a skinsuit is. Like, buffalo bill had skin suits.
Old 05-09-16, 11:05 AM
rankin116

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Wylde06
What kind of pain? I ended up getting a MRI on my hip 1 1/2 years ago for it come back perfect..turns out I just needed to find the right physical therapist
Intermittent dull ache, not while riding though. Injured it playing indoor soccer about 1.5 years ago and it hasn't been the same since. I'm hoping I get a script for PT before I do an MRI. My gut tells me I could probably use some stretching and strengthening exercises to fix the issue. I need this addressed before cross starts though as running is really what aggravates it the most.

Originally Posted by TheKillerPenguin
I just realized how creepy a skinsuit is. Like, buffalo bill had skin suits.
It rubs the lotion on it's skin. It does this whenever it's told.

Ever hear of the greenskeepers? They have a song about Buffalo Bill, really catchy, and someone mashed it with clips from the film. It's great!

NSFW for language https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b28URAtaxeA

Last edited by rankin116; 05-09-16 at 11:15 AM. Reason: Def NSFW
Old 05-09-16, 11:24 AM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

Oh wow, that's awesome!
Old 05-09-16, 11:24 AM
canuckbelle

Bikes: Scott Foil 10, Di2

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
SUPER painful deep tissue massage on my legs post Speed Week. Holy hell that hurt. Near the end we hit 11 on the pain scale (yeah, out of 10!).
Old 05-09-16, 11:30 AM
Flatballer
No matches

PT has done my back a lot of good. Only did 5 sessions or something, but it has made a lot of difference. Certainly cheaper than an MRI, and safer than drugs. They initially prescribed me a whole bunch of strong nerve blocker drugs and stuff, and I asked if I could do PT first and try that. Haven't needed to fill any of the prescriptions, and I've been feeling a lot better.
Old 05-09-16, 11:38 AM
carpediemracing 

I need a new catalytic converter
kind of car?

*edit better yet, do you have dimensions - length, inlet and outlet pipe diameter, if you have someone that can weld one in?
"...during the Lance years, being fit became the No. 1 thing. Totally the only thing. It’s a big part of what we do, but fitness is not the only thing. There’s skills, there’s tactics … there’s all kinds of stuff..." Tim Johnson
Old 05-09-16, 11:56 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4231 Post(s)
Liked 2,947 Times in 1,806 Posts
Yeah, PT did a lot for my back pain (as did losing a large amount of weight). I have a bad habit, though, of quitting my stretch/strengthening exercises when I start to feel better then hurting myself again and having to start over from scratch.

Old 05-09-16, 12:31 PM
canuckbelle

Bikes: Scott Foil 10, Di2

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I think I'm selling my Wahoo Kickr. I don't use it enough. Thoughts on a fair price? $1000 incl shipping?
Old 05-09-16, 12:42 PM
Flatballer
No matches

Originally Posted by himespau
Yeah, PT did a lot for my back pain (as did losing a large amount of weight). I have a bad habit, though, of quitting my stretch/strengthening exercises when I start to feel better then hurting myself again and having to start over from scratch.
I could certainly stand to lose 40lbs or so, and yeah, I need to keep stretching and exercising even though it's feeling better.
Old 05-09-16, 12:46 PM
rankin116

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by carpediemracing
kind of car?

*edit better yet, do you have dimensions - length, inlet and outlet pipe diameter, if you have someone that can weld one in?
06 Subaru Forester. I need it to pass a NY inspection, so from what I've been reading I need a CARB certified one, and places won't weld them in anymore. I can get an aftermarket certified one for $450-750, and the shop will install it for me. Said the labor charge is pretty minimal, so we'l' see if I can get one of the cheaper options. The vehicle is old, so I only need it to last me about 1 more year.
Old 05-09-16, 02:54 PM
carpediemracing 

06 Subaru Forester. I need it to pass a NY inspection, so from what I've been reading I need a CARB certified one, and places won't weld them in anymore. I can get an aftermarket certified one for $450-750, and the shop will install it for me. Said the labor charge is pretty minimal, so we'l' see if I can get one of the cheaper options. The vehicle is old, so I only need it to last me about 1 more year.
Ah, okay. If you had some dream combination catalytic converter need I'd ship you one I have sitting around doing nothing. I actually don't know what it fits, part of why it's sitting around. I got it with a car (no longer with us) about 10 years back, hoping for a chance to put it into use.
Old 05-10-16, 02:56 PM
ridethecliche
Batüwü Creakcreak

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 160 Posts
Spectastic, go check your thread on svrider!
Old 05-10-16, 02:58 PM
ridethecliche
Batüwü Creakcreak

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 160 Posts
Also re car stuff...

Had to have the alternator changed out, but I was luckily close to home and the tow could have been much worse.

Now, my car won't get in gear unless I poke a pen into the neutral safety switch near the gearbox. Changed the brake fuse out and it worked for an afternoon then quit. I think it might be the brake light switch because of how weird it is. If it was working at all then that means the circuit isn't totally messed up. I'm not sure what else it could be.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.