Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Waxing?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-18, 12:52 PM
kcblair
Old Legs

Bikes: '80 Strayvaigin, '84 Ciocc Aelle-Shimano 105, '90 Concorde Astore /Campy Triple ,85 Bridgestone 500/Suntour, 2005 Jamis Quest, 2017 Raleigh Merit 1, Raleigh Carbon Clubman

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 302 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Yep, wax all my bikes annually and polish chrome with Simi-chrome polish. KB
Old 02-15-18, 08:58 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,409 Times in 909 Posts
I don't shave, so why wax, right?
Originally Posted by Bikerider007
That's what I was afraid this would be about. Wax, for maximum aerodynamics and speed!
Old 02-15-18, 09:44 PM
Charles Wahl
Disraeli Gears

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 504 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 214 Posts
There's little point in having this discussion with a guy who starts by bragging about not waxing his car.

I like a waxed bike; makes it look about 80% better than just clean. YMMV
Old 02-15-18, 10:16 PM
2cam16

Bikes: TRIMMED DOWN THE HERD

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1092 Post(s)
Liked 936 Times in 601 Posts
I've always clayed/polished/waxed every vehicle I've owned for decades. So this carries on (except the claybar part) to my bikes. They all get a polish and wax job. Helps protect the paint, easier to clean, looks good.
Old 02-15-18, 11:27 PM
davester

Bikes: 1981 Ron Cooper, 1974 Cinelli Speciale Corsa, 2000 Gary Fisher Sugar 1, 1986 Miyata 710, 1982 Raleigh "International"

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked 1,291 Times in 487 Posts
It's quite simple. Wax protects the paint from breaking down from weathering and UV exposure. After the paint is broken down by oxidation and other chemical reactions it becomes highly porous and there is nothing left to protect the frame so it will start to rust, Once rust has gotten a strong grip the frame is toast. Cars and bikes that are waxed will look prettier and last much longer than those that aren't. My always waxed 10 to 15 year old cars look vastly better than most of the much newer but neglected cars in the parking lot at work. Those folks often trade in (at great cost) for new cars every few years because their old cars start to look crappy.
Old 02-16-18, 10:24 AM
ollo_ollo

Bikes: Still have a few left!

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 467 Post(s)
Liked 532 Times in 267 Posts
Wax all mine regularly. Also have always waxed my wood working machinery (painted surfaces + bare metal) and automobiles. Good paint and steel deserves good wax. Don
Old 02-16-18, 01:42 PM
SquidPuppet
Calamari Marionette Ph.D

Bikes: 3 Chinese Gas Pipe Nerdcycles and 2 Chicago Electroforged Boat Anchors

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Quoted: 2358 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 26 Posts
Why would any sane person not wax their bikes?

Why would anyone start a thread asking if members wax their bikes in a Classic and Vintage forum?

Confused.
Old 02-16-18, 02:29 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,465 Times in 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by n0+4c|u3
Me too. Pledge is great.
I just got a can of Endust that doesn't have any fragrance, which I guess I prefer. Honestly, the fake lemon smell is pleasant, but it may not be good for us.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 02-16-18, 02:29 PM
dim

Bikes: Trek Emonda SL6 .... Miyata One Thousand

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 22 Posts
Harly Wax (100% Carnuba) .... brilliant stuff for your bike frame be it carbon, steel alu or Ti .... and when you wax your car with this stuff, you will be amazed ... easy to apply (it's like butter) ...

leave it on for a few minutes and wipe it off with a microfiber cloth .... no residue left, and it actually leaves a very thin layer of crystal clear wax coating that makes your frame shine like glass (I kid you not) .....

after I have waxed my car with Harly wax, and it rains, the water forms large droplets and just slides off the bonnet (it's hard to explain, but you will understand better when you use it and it rains)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Car-Polish-.../dp/B004DPJQ44

Last edited by dim; 02-16-18 at 02:36 PM.
Old 02-16-18, 02:53 PM
SquidPuppet
Calamari Marionette Ph.D

Bikes: 3 Chinese Gas Pipe Nerdcycles and 2 Chicago Electroforged Boat Anchors

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Quoted: 2358 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 26 Posts
Originally Posted by dim
Harly Wax (100% Carnuba) .... brilliant stuff for your bike frame be it carbon, steel alu or Ti .... and when you wax your car with this stuff, you will be amazed ... easy to apply (it's like butter) ...

leave it on for a few minutes and wipe it off with a microfiber cloth .... no residue left, and it actually leaves a very thin layer of crystal clear wax coating that makes your frame shine like glass (I kid you not) .....

after I have waxed my car with Harly wax, and it rains, the water forms large droplets and just slides off the bonnet (it's hard to explain, but you will understand better when you use it and it rains)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Car-Polish-.../dp/B004DPJQ44
Thanks for the recommendation. Ordered.
Old 02-16-18, 03:46 PM
Grand Bois

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 25 Posts
Pledge contains no wax, so it doesn't protect your paint like wax does. It does clean and give a temporary shine, though. There are spray waxes on the market that are nearly as easy to use. I've even used them on my cars when I'm feeling too lazy to do it right with paste wax.

I wax all of my bikes, including the aluminum and steel parts and including the two with matte paint.

I'm not loyal to any particular brands.
Old 02-16-18, 06:31 PM
Chrome Molly

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 301 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 15 Posts
The only bike I wax more than once a year is my gravel bike. The wax allows you to easily knock dried mud off with your fingers.

This time of year I am waxing skis instead of bikes. Looks like fastwax teal for tomorrow morning’s skiing.
Old 02-17-18, 09:47 AM
deephate

Bikes: COLNAGO! Litespeed, Motobecane, Peugeot, Gitane, Fuji, Nishiki, Centurion, Panasonic, Giant, Trek, Cannondale, Raleigh, Bianchi, Winsor

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 11 Posts
I hoped not to get too many snarky comments because I was seriously curious. I wouldn't open myself up otherwise. I honestly thought paint protected and shined well all on it's own. After reading all the guys that wax their cars religiously I did a little survey at my parts counter. Guys with 75,000 dollar trucks, 45,000 dollar cars, and most of my customers with 120,000 and up semi trucks and nobody I asked ever waxes anything. My car is 15 years old and the paint looks brand new. Could it look better if I spent hours polishing it? I really don't think it would. I will take some wax to my bikes though.

EDIT: I also thought that C&V would be the place to ask but I guess I was way off base there also, sorry.
Old 02-17-18, 07:53 PM
toavii

Bikes: 1989 Tommasini Super Prestige, 1985 Chris Kvale, 1977 Colnago Super, 1992 Serotta Colorado, 1984 Schwinn Cimarron

Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 20 Posts
I’m picky about the paint of the bikes I own. They have to be good riders to be sure, but if they don’t look the part due to paint quality most all inevitably find their way out the door. Outside of the Colnago (and the beater Schwinn), the others have what I would say is special paint.

To maintain that, all are waxed a couple of times during the riding season and detailed and sealed over the winter. All bikes are cleaned after anything more than a leisurely ride and a good coat of wax makes it easier to do so. Paint, metal, wood, it’s all no different. Take care of it and they’ll look great for quite some time.
Old 02-18-18, 10:37 AM
Salamandrine 

Bikes: 78 Masi Criterium, 68 PX10, 2016 Mercian King of Mercia, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quoted: 2317 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 430 Posts
Originally Posted by deephate
I hoped not to get too many snarky comments because I was seriously curious. I wouldn't open myself up otherwise. I honestly thought paint protected and shined well all on it's own. After reading all the guys that wax their cars religiously I did a little survey at my parts counter. Guys with 75,000 dollar trucks, 45,000 dollar cars, and most of my customers with 120,000 and up semi trucks and nobody I asked ever waxes anything. My car is 15 years old and the paint looks brand new. Could it look better if I spent hours polishing it? I really don't think it would. I will take some wax to my bikes though.

EDIT: I also thought that C&V would be the place to ask but I guess I was way off base there also, sorry.
Geez let's not lose sleep over this. It just isn't that important. Wax or not. Your choice.

Since this is the C&V forum, it may be worthwhile to point out that BITD it used to be more common to keep your bike wiped down with WD40. Cleaning your bike with water was a big no no in the days before sealed bearings. Newer bikes are all sealed bearings, and can be cleaned off easily with water in a spray bottle, etc. Wax helps make this easier, as previously stated.

Last edited by Salamandrine; 02-18-18 at 10:46 AM.
Old 02-18-18, 11:11 AM
deephate

Bikes: COLNAGO! Litespeed, Motobecane, Peugeot, Gitane, Fuji, Nishiki, Centurion, Panasonic, Giant, Trek, Cannondale, Raleigh, Bianchi, Winsor

Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Salamandrine
Geez let's not lose sleep over this.
I haven't lost any sleep but I have had some nightmares over it.