Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

26in wheelset and tires suggestions

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-18, 01:33 PM
belacqua

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 35 Posts

Hi everyone, I'm thinking about upgrading my drop-bar conversion, a 1985 Cimarron. I'd like to buy a new (135mm) 26" wheelset for it, rim brake only of course. Does anyone have a recommendation for a good, affordable new wheelset?

I also would like recommendations for good 26" tires for road use, with occasional gravel.

Here is a picture of the bike as it stood before I got the frame ready to send to the powdercoater. I'm switching to standard (Deda) drop bars and Technomic stem and probably putting Velo Orange saddle on there.

Old 07-31-18, 01:36 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,460 Times in 1,432 Posts
What's wrong with the wheels you have?

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 07-31-18, 01:45 PM
HTupolev

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1974 Post(s)
Liked 1,298 Times in 630 Posts
What kind of budget are you looking at for the wheels? And are you interested in tubeless?

What's your "gravel" like? If you're mostly on pavement and you're not doing a lot of muddy-ish riding, I'd recommend probably just going with super-wide road tires. Something like a 26x1.75 Pasela, or on the high-end, a Naches Pass or Rat Trap Pass.
Old 07-31-18, 01:49 PM
Hudson308 
Mr. Anachronism

Bikes: fillet-brazed Chicago Schwinns, and some other stuff

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 526 Post(s)
Liked 256 Times in 165 Posts
Yeah, what Tom said. Your current wheels may just need a repack and some time on the truing stand.
Tire choice for road-going MTBs with 26" wheels is easy for me... Kenda Kiniption. I know alot of people dismiss that brand for any serious riding, but the Kiniptions get raves from every MTB owner I put them on for road duty/paved trails. They're designed to allow tire pressures from 30 to 80lbs., depending on intended use. They roll nice and grip nice, even on gravel.

Old 07-31-18, 01:52 PM
Mr. 66

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1140 Post(s)
Liked 1,736 Times in 957 Posts
I'd get something like xt or lx deore freehubbed from like the middle '90s or so. I think that would go good with the barends you got, but you should get some fresher derailleurs as well.
Old 07-31-18, 02:04 PM
bcpriess

Bikes: Masi Giramondo, Trek 830 monstercross build, Raleigh Gran Sport, Lemond Tourmalet

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 12 Posts
I ride my dropbar 26er on mixed surfaces (singletrack, sand, pavement, gravel, crushed limestone), and the Specialized Fast Trak 26 x 2.0 is fantastic. It has continuously overlapping center treads that make it roll fast on pavement, and it has good bite on corners and deals with loose stuff well. If you were looking for something more pavement oriented, you could try some Continental Double Fighter III 26 x 1.9's. They appear to be pretty comparable to an X'Plor MSO gravel tire, aside from requiring tubes. Pretty sure I'm going to give a pair of those a shot and see how they compare to the Fast Traks. I've also heard good things about Michelin Country Rocks, which might be more suited to the mix of road/gravel you describe.
Old 07-31-18, 02:12 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
My Trekking bike came with Continental Travel Contact tires,

an adventure touring tire, for paved and unpaved* roads..

they would be good..

*ie gravel (but maybe not gravel racing)..

Old 07-31-18, 02:24 PM
toavii

Bikes: 1989 Tommasini Super Prestige, 1985 Chris Kvale, 1977 Colnago Super, 1992 Serotta Colorado, 1984 Schwinn Cimarron

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 20 Posts
I have Rat Traps on my Cimarron. Nothing but good things to say about them.

Old 07-31-18, 02:50 PM
HTupolev

Originally Posted by Hudson308
They're designed to allow tire pressures from 30 to 80lbs., depending on intended use.
Unless the bicycle is going to be very heavily loaded, I'd recommend against high-pressure tires like that. They need to make the tires beefier in order to withstand the higher pressures, and consequentially, the beefier casings lose more energy from deformation as the tire rolls. So the higher-pressure tires need to be pumped to higher pressures in order to roll as well as a good low-pressure tire. And they still have a hard time matching the performance of a lower-pressure tire, because the vibrations transmitted by a stiff-riding tire waste energy in and of themselves.

People often think that pressures like 40PSI sound really low to be road riding on, but wide tires need much less PSI than narrow tires do in order to be fully-inflated and well-behaved.
Old 07-31-18, 04:08 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
+1. Are the hubs shot? Rims bent? Spokes tired and breaking?

Or if you want to upgrade, what are your criteria, @belacqua? Seems like a lot of folks end up spending money on a sideways move because they didn't really think out how they could improve what they had, they just wanted to buy something new.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498

Last edited by ThermionicScott; 07-31-18 at 04:12 PM.
Old 07-31-18, 04:21 PM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
I "upgraded" my 1988 Cimarron by picking up a set of used 2002 era XT wheels at the co-op. As far as tires, I tend to go with 1.5 inch wide tires, several brands out there.

Had I not found those wheels cheap, I would have left well enough alone. Also picked up a similar era XT crankset, also at the co-op. I think this XT crankset is on the ugly side.

Ignore the saddle, I have this set up to achieve low weight (under 25 pounds). I didn't worry about saddle angle, as I took it off after this picture was taken. Also has weight weenie pedals. I prefer heavier bear traps. I think this version has 1.25 wide tires on it, a Nashbar branded tire.

FWIW: Thats the original Nitto stem that came with the bike. I think the seat post is original too, not sure (Suntour XC).

1988 Cimarron Weight Weenie by wrk101, on Flickr

Last edited by wrk101; 07-31-18 at 04:24 PM.
Old 07-31-18, 05:36 PM
Hudson308 
Mr. Anachronism

Originally Posted by HTupolev
Unless the bicycle is going to be very heavily loaded, I'd recommend against high-pressure tires like that. They need to make the tires beefier in order to withstand the higher pressures, and consequentially, the beefier casings lose more energy from deformation as the tire rolls. So the higher-pressure tires need to be pumped to higher pressures in order to roll as well as a good low-pressure tire. And they still have a hard time matching the performance of a lower-pressure tire, because the vibrations transmitted by a stiff-riding tire waste energy in and of themselves.

People often think that pressures like 40PSI sound really low to be road riding on, but wide tires need much less PSI than narrow tires do in order to be fully-inflated and well-behaved.
That all sounds very logical, HT. All I can speak to is the experience that I and a few friends have had. I've run my Kiniptions at 60-80lbs. on paved trails, and rolling resistance feels much less than it did with the original 40lb. knobbies. I run them at 50lbs. on gravel roads with great results as well. The friend with the Klein shakes his head and tells me he can't understand why his Kiniption'ed Klein is faster (on his tracking app) than his Specialized Roubaix while riding around the lakes. We both may simply be experiencing the "buzz" from an 80lb. tire on pavement, but it is a 2.3" (58mm) buzz. All I can say is they're reasonably priced and a blast to ride on.

Last edited by Hudson308; 07-31-18 at 05:40 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 07-31-18, 05:58 PM
HTupolev

Originally Posted by Hudson308
All I can speak to is the experience that I and a few friends have had. I've run my Kiniptions at 60-80lbs. on paved trails, and rolling resistance feels much less than it did with the original 40lb. knobbies.
I'm not surprised they'd roll better than whatever your MTB knobbies were. I'm talking about compared with suppler road tires.
Old 07-31-18, 06:29 PM
belacqua

This is a profound question but the short answer is nothing.
Old 07-31-18, 06:38 PM
belacqua

Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
+1. Are the hubs shot? Rims bent? Spokes tired and breaking?

Or if you want to upgrade, what are your criteria, @belacqua? Seems like a lot of folks end up spending money on a sideways move because they didn't really think out how they could improve what they had, they just wanted to buy something new.
The wheels are Weinmann rims, Parallax hubs (Mid 90s Shimano, iirc) with (I think) an 8sp cassette. They are probably fine if I repack. Maybe I should listen to you and @noglider.

What happened is I decided to powdercoat the frame after seeing @Colnago Mixte's PDG project. The rust is pretty extensive under the paint.

Then I began to desire new, shiny wheels and tires.
Old 07-31-18, 06:41 PM
belacqua

I haven't actually sent it into the powdercoater yet. Maybe I should put the whole thing up in the rafters for a while and ride my other bikes.
Old 07-31-18, 06:51 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Originally Posted by belacqua
This is a profound question but the short answer is nothing.
I don't mean to imply there's no reason to change wheels. What I'm getting at: what do you want from a new pair of wheels? Smoother running (if, perhaps, yours are out of round or make horrible grinding sounds)? Or a lighter, nimbler ride? Or better looks? There's no reason you shouldn't want these things, but you haven't said what your goal is. I don't imagine you just want to change wheels for the sake of it pursuing some nebulous concept of "better."

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Old 07-31-18, 07:08 PM
belacqua

I don't mean to imply there's no reason to change wheels. What I'm getting at: what do you want from a new pair of wheels? Smoother running (if, perhaps, yours are out of round or make horrible grinding sounds)? Or a lighter, nimbler ride? Or better looks? There's no reason you shouldn't want these things, but you haven't said what your goal is. I don't imagine you just want to change wheels for the sake of it pursuing some nebulous concept of "better."
It really is a deep question though. I mean, I started thinking about the powdercoating and got excited about making the bike clean, smooth, and shiny. What it comes down to--what's "wrong" with the existing wheelset--is that it does not encourage obsessive, anticipatory thinking about how perfect the new build is going to be.

The existing wheels work fine--I just checked the bearings and the front needs some adjustment--but I think they'd be smooth if I repacked them. And yet, if I imagine building the bike back up with the existing wheels, all the enthusiasm goes out of me. I have plenty of bikes. Now that the Cimarron is down to the bare frame, if I put it away, I'd have more room for the others in the garage, and more time for them in the rotation.
Old 07-31-18, 07:41 PM
Hudson308 
Mr. Anachronism

Originally Posted by belacqua
I started thinking about the powdercoating and got excited about making the bike clean, smooth, and shiny. What it comes down to--what's "wrong" with the existing wheelset--is that it does not encourage obsessive, anticipatory thinking about how perfect the new build is going to be.
We understand.... believe me. Just trying to save you some cabbage.
Old 07-31-18, 07:44 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

I'm trying to get you to think. You start with one bike and want to end up with another bike in the end, through the process of changes. But the changes should have purposes. This is like an essay. Say what you're going to say (introduction), then say it (body), then say what you said (conclusion).

Old 07-31-18, 08:26 PM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 2607 Post(s)
Liked 1,699 Times in 935 Posts
I don't imagine you just want to change wheels for the sake of it pursuing some nebulous concept of "better."

I don't know- there's nothing particularly wrong with that.

I have had a whole lot of fun swapping stuff around- seeing what I like, seeing how my opinions change based on what I use... It's interesting to see how my opinions have changed about bike stuff over the course of the past 10 years. I started out with a pretty cool bike, it needed some work- but it was a great starting point. If I had never been chasing that ever elusive concept of "better" I would not have the bikes I have now, nor would I have had the awesome ride I've had in experiencing this stuff. (Literally and figuratively)

@belacqua Just judging from the way you approached your 620 project- I'd think you'd be asking about lighter wheels- the Cimarron isn't a lightweight bike, and old ATB stuff is generally overbuilt for abuse, and generally not particularly light. The wheelset is where you save a lot on weight. I have a set of Suntour XC sealed bearing hubs on mystery rims- they're not exactly light- but then again, I'm resigned to having a 30# bike.

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
Old 08-01-18, 07:47 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

OK, fair point, @The Golden Boy. Tinkering for the sake of it definitely has a value. Still, there should be parameters, otherwise, @belacqua would put on crappier wheels to see what effect they have. So what would be better? Lighter? Stronger? Expensiver? Shinier? Wider? Taller? Colorfuler?

Old 08-01-18, 08:20 AM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 2607 Post(s)
Liked 1,699 Times in 935 Posts
OK, fair point, @The Golden Boy. Tinkering for the sake of it definitely has a value. Still, there should be parameters, otherwise, @belacqua would put on crappier wheels to see what effect they have. So what would be better? Lighter? Stronger? Expensiver? Shinier? Wider? Taller? Colorfuler?
If the idea is “better,” then why go crappier?

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
Old 08-01-18, 08:24 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Originally Posted by The Golden Boy

If the idea is “better,” then why go crappier?
I'm not recommending it. I'm saying if you embrace the idea of tinkering for the sake of learning, crappier is just as valid, because it gives you an appreciation for what you started with. @belacqua hasn't even told us what wheels we have, so what wheels are better? That's like asking you who weighs more than I do without telling you how much I weigh. Should I make you guess?

Old 08-01-18, 08:39 AM
belacqua

Originally Posted by The Golden Boy

@belacqua Just judging from the way you approached your 620 project- I'd think you'd be asking about lighter wheels-
You might be interested (or scandalized...) to see how the 620 has turned out. I'm really pleased with this 42x16 FG, dynamo front setup.

@noglider, I've never mastered the essay form, but I will try to prose out my "thinking" here. The basic problem is that not too much thinking is involved. It's a much blunter emotional process that seems to have its roots in the adolescent pastime of obsessing over bike or toy catalogs. Psychologically it resembles rumination ("the focused attention on the symptoms of one's distress, and on its possible causes and consequences, as opposed to its solutions") except that attention is focused on one's desires and their possible gratification.

As @The Golden Boy recalls, earlier I was deliberating over whether or not to remove my 1984 620's rear rack. Though it might have seemed like my goal was weight reduction, actually the motivation was to reduce a much less quantifiable factor that I might call "aesthetic drag," an effect produced by any component or configuration that fails to work right -- or, just as importantly, look right -- within the limits and aspirations of a given build. The mainstay of my C&V obsession, riding a bike with minimal aesthetic drag combines the pleasure of outdoor exercise with the pleasure of using a top-quality tool or playing a fine instrument. This is why it's hard for me to say whether the hobby is fundamentally a form of working out or a form of shopping. Like the primal hunt, it combines the thrill of the chase with the pleasure of the feast.

In the case of the 620, minimizing aesthetic drag meant running fenders, even though I already have a designated rain bike and it's not especially rainy here. For me, fenders' main job is to keep the drivetrain and bottom bracket as clean and smooth as possible, though all this stuff gets dirty anyway, so their function might be primarily symbolic or theoretical. I ended up removing and carefully storing the rack, because without it, the bike felt faster and more efficient. I bought a new freewheel to extend the gearing range, but found that it made a clicking or knocking noise under load in the middle cogs. Unable to fix it, I bought another freewheel--I think they were both Shimano Tourney. The second freewheel was nearly perfect, but after a few rides I realized that it had a much quieter version of the first freewheel's problem. At this point I hatched a counterintuitive plan to run this classic touring bike as a fixed-gear. This killed two birds with one stone--it solved the problem of all drivetrain noise, AND it allowed me to remove the clamp-on shifter mounts, achieving a "clean" downtube. I hadn't really thought of the shifters as "holding me back," so this second gain was like an aesthetic tailwind.

The 620 offers several lessons in aestheto-dynamics, but I will address the most valuable one here, in conclusion. Shortly after I brought the bike home--extremely pleased because of the purchase price--I noticed a very slight dent in the top tube. How slight? To see it, you had to line it up just so in glancing light. And yet this discovery seemed to undo all my joy and render the bike virtually unrideable. Disconsolately, I went through the motions of cleaning it up, repacking the bearings, replacing the chain. It turned out to work pretty good. Over the course of a few days, I decided that I could live with the dent. Now, it doesn't bother me at all--in fact, it functions more like a beauty mark than a ding. And this goes to show that when the bike can't be adjusted to conform to our taste, then our taste can be adjusted to conform with the bike. Nice to have what one wants--but nicer to want what one has.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.