Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Rear rack with basket

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Rear rack with basket

Old 06-06-19, 09:37 AM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Bikes: '12 Schwinn, '13 Norco

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,176 Times in 795 Posts
Rear rack with basket

Good morning, good day, or good evening, wherever y'all may be.

I am highly likely to add a rear rack on my Norco Cityglide very soon. However, I do not want to use panniers. I simply want to mount a smallish basket of some sort to the top of the rack and bungee net the contents in place when it's being used. No milk crates.

Rides with the basket/rack will be 5 miles or less.

I'm interested in what set ups some of you have that are similar to what I want to do?

Last edited by FiftySix; 06-26-19 at 12:06 AM.
Old 06-06-19, 09:47 AM
acidfast7
Banned

Bikes: 2010 Cube Acid / 2013 Mango FGSS

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 36 Posts
Have a nice evening (my workday is soon ending.)

Whenever I buy a product, I always look at the gold standard and see why it's the gold standard.

Then I try to emulate the best points with my budget in consideration.

I would consider tubus to be that gold standard and would start my search there for racks.

https://www.tubus.com/produkte/

For attachments, I would start with Rixen & Kaul.

https://klickfix.com/en/#slide-3

https://klickfix.com/en/products/

and select "Carrier" as the attachment point.

Prices are reasonable but you might want something less expensive. Quality is unsurpassed.
Likes For acidfast7:
Old 06-06-19, 10:07 AM
AusTexMurf

Bikes: 2010 Origin8 CX700, 2003 Cannondale Backroads Cross Country, 1997 Trek mtn steel frame converted commuter/tourer, 1983 Univega Sportour, 2010 Surly LHT, Others...

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 12 Posts
Blackburn Local Basket

This one looks interesting to me. I don't have the basket model but do have 2 of the local deluxe racks. All have versatile mounting options and height adjustable. Can be mounted on front or rear.

Also, you can use a Wald basket attached to any rear rack as lots of folks do. A milk crate mounted on the rack works as well and is cheapest option.
I like the permanent nature of the Blackburn basket, its adjustability, and ulock holder, myself.
Likes For AusTexMurf:
Old 06-06-19, 10:37 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4193 Post(s)
Liked 2,911 Times in 1,780 Posts
I love Wald folding baskets with a bungee cargo net, but that's not what you're asking.
Likes For himespau:
Old 06-06-19, 10:52 AM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Originally Posted by himespau
I love Wald folding baskets with a bungee cargo net, but that's not what you're asking.
I really like the design of that Wald folding basket set up. The low center of gravity with cargo aboard would be optimum. I just don't need to carry that much.

All I plan to do is carry something small from the local drug store, maybe grocery store, or picking up some breakfast for the family on my way back home after a morning ride.

Right now, I carry things in a plastic shopping bag hanging off a handle bar end. The bag swaying and thoughts of the bag ripping are a bit annoying.
Old 06-06-19, 11:08 AM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
You can use zip ties to attach almost any basket to any rack. If you have a bag you like, I'd pick a basket to fit the bag. This is a Wald 137 basket and Timbuk2 medium messenger bag, and it fits nice and tight:

I prefer the basket up front, but you can do the same setup on the rear. When I have an extra large load (e.g. 2 bags of groceries), I can strap the messenger bag to my back and fill the basket with other stuff.

One other tip: for best handling, you want the weight of the rear load as far forward as possible without hitting your legs when you pedal.
Likes For tyrion:
Old 06-06-19, 11:34 AM
RoadKill

Bikes: Specialized AWOL, Specialized Roubaix, Niner Air9, Turner Sultan

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 24 Posts
Topeak rack has a nice attachment system for their baskets, panniers, trunks etc. to attach to their racks. The basket just slides on to the rack and locks in. It's great if you want to occasionally use a basked but don't want the hassle of figuring out how to bungee it or use zip ties every time.

That said, on my old bike the rack was close enough to the seat that putting a basket on left very little clearance between it and the seat. I didn't like it. My current bike has a longer wheel base and the rack sits further back from the seat, so it's probably ok but I don't have the topeak rack to fit my basket any more.
Likes For RoadKill:
Old 06-06-19, 11:37 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
what ever you find aesthetic, can be . Attached with Zip ties , which are free, at bike shops.

because new bikes are packed for shipping using a lot of them..

I got a Paul comp flatbed front rack .. their image ..

Last edited by fietsbob; 06-06-19 at 12:09 PM.
Likes For fietsbob:
Old 06-06-19, 12:05 PM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Originally Posted by RoadKill
Topeak rack has a nice attachment system for their baskets, panniers, trunks etc. to attach to their racks. The basket just slides on to the rack and locks in. It's great if you want to occasionally use a basked but don't want the hassle of figuring out how to bungee it or use zip ties every time.

That said, on my old bike the rack was close enough to the seat that putting a basket on left very little clearance between it and the seat. I didn't like it. My current bike has a longer wheel base and the rack sits further back from the seat, so it's probably ok but I don't have the topeak rack to fit my basket any more.
That looks a nice set up. I wonder if it shakes and rattles much when mounted?
https://www.topeak.com/us/en/product...c)-(w-o-spring)
https://www.topeak.com/us/en/product...tx-basket-rear

Easy to slide the basket off the rack and go into a store with. Fill it up with exactly what fits and no more. Pay, slide it back on the rack and pedal away.
Old 06-06-19, 12:05 PM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Originally Posted by fietsbob
what ever you find aesthetic, can be . Attached with Zip ties , which are free, at bike shops.

because new bikes are packed for shipping using a lot of them..
I do have hundreds of zip ties on hand due to my job. Could come in handy!
Old 06-06-19, 01:37 PM
RoadKill

Bikes: Specialized AWOL, Specialized Roubaix, Niner Air9, Turner Sultan

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 24 Posts
Originally Posted by FiftySix
That looks a nice set up. I wonder if it shakes and rattles much when mounted?
https://www.topeak.com/us/en/product...c)-(w-o-spring)
https://www.topeak.com/us/en/product...tx-basket-rear

Easy to slide the basket off the rack and go into a store with. Fill it up with exactly what fits and no more. Pay, slide it back on the rack and pedal away.
Stuff I put in the basket would shake and rattle, but the basket to rack interface is a pretty solid.
Likes For RoadKill:
Old 06-06-19, 03:10 PM
jdswitters

Bikes: Swobo Fillmore, Kona Ute, Salsa Timberjack, Salsa Fargo, New belgium brewery cruisers-2014 and 2009 and 2007

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 9 Posts
My daily commuter has a rear basket and a green guru pannier. That sounds like overkill for the OP.

My back u p commuter/going to the pub with a little side dirt set (swobo mutineer) up has a PDW take out basket and bag, which is very handy for just getting some lunch back to the office etc. It is a handlebar mount but has a light bar on it and is rock solid.
Likes For jdswitters:
Old 06-06-19, 04:31 PM
LorenMiranda

Bikes: 1995 Schwinn ClearCreek

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 15 Posts
My 1999 Raleigh M50 (the only bike I have now) has a knock off Blackburn local rack on the rear. I affixed to it a black plastic produce basket of unknown origin. The basket makes the whole bike I have to say. It can carry 2 18'ers of beer... More than I need lol. I will try to get pics up of my "trash" bike. It was intended to be the runabout while I restored my Jamis Explorer (early 90s). But after a few weeks riding I just downsized to the one bike. I live car free in Spokane WA. The old style MTB makes a rock solid bike for these streets. Eventually it will get a fork upgrade (whether another suspension or something cool like the Crust Clydesdale is unknown) and trekking bars.
Likes For LorenMiranda:
Old 06-06-19, 04:35 PM
LorenMiranda

Likes For LorenMiranda:
Old 06-06-19, 04:40 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
Glad to see some interesting options in this thread. I'm happy with Wald 585 baskets on more than one bike for many years. I attach them with stainless hose clamps, though I imagine that you could also use a bunch of plastic zip ties, so long as you watch to see if they are breaking or not.
Likes For Gresp15C:
Old 06-06-19, 04:42 PM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Originally Posted by LorenMiranda
The basket makes the whole bike I have to say. It can carry 2 18'ers of beer... More than I need lol. I will try to get pics up of my "trash" bike. It was intended to be the runabout while I restored my Jamis Explorer (early 90s). But after a few weeks riding I just downsized to the one bike. I live car free in Spokane WA. The old style MTB makes a rock solid bike for these streets. Eventually it will get a fork upgrade (whether another suspension or something cool like the Crust Clydesdale is unknown) and trekking bars.
Nice bike and basket.

I have seen very reasonably priced baskets at Hobby Lobby last weekend while browsing with my wife. I was thinking of doing something like you've done there, but I am still exploring other possibilities.
Old 06-06-19, 04:57 PM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Originally Posted by Gresp15C
Glad to see some interesting options in this thread. I'm happy with Wald 585 baskets on more than one bike for many years. I attach them with stainless hose clamps, though I imagine that you could also use a bunch of plastic zip ties, so long as you watch to see if they are breaking or not.
Quality zip ties cost more, but they sure aren't as brittle as the cheapos from dollar stores. I think I spend about $9 per 100 at a local electrical/electronic store for good zip ties.

As much as I do use zip ties, I probably won't use them to hold a basket except for a trial fitting. But, you never know I might change my mind.
Likes For FiftySix:
Old 06-06-19, 08:51 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Liked 1,517 Times in 1,031 Posts
Originally Posted by FiftySix
Quality zip ties cost more, but they sure aren't as brittle as the cheapos from dollar stores. I think I spend about $9 per 100 at a local electrical/electronic store for good zip ties.

As much as I do use zip ties, I probably won't use them to hold a basket except for a trial fitting. But, you never know I might change my mind.
They work fine for me, if any break I replace them.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
beer in basket.jpg (82.4 KB, 188 views)
ZeroSeven3.jpg (173.6 KB, 189 views)
Vaterland_DE.JPG (81.1 KB, 188 views)
Calvin left.jpg (361.0 KB, 186 views)
SchwinnCruiser2.jpg (94.0 KB, 188 views)
Likes For I-Like-To-Bike:
Old 06-06-19, 09:26 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
Indeed, the hope is that you notice that one of the zip ties breaks, before they all do.

Long ago I worked for a company that made molded plastic parts, and we conducted some of our product testing by literally putting stuff on the roof of our building for exposure to sunlight. I learned that black plastic fares better than the milky "natural" material. The black dyes prevent UV light from penetrating into the material.

Of course nothing lasts forever. I have a cable lock whose plastic covering literally shattered when I went to lock my bike at minus 20 degrees F this winter. I believe the combination of degradation from sunlight (a decade riding on my bike) and cold killed it. One thing it exposed is just how skinny the cable in a cheap cable lock is. The thick plastic covering acts like a magnifying glass, to make the cable look bigger than it actually is.

Also, I learned that if you use those stainless hose clamps, a bit of innertube rubber reduces rattling.
Likes For Gresp15C:
Old 06-06-19, 10:16 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Liked 1,517 Times in 1,031 Posts
Originally Posted by Gresp15C
Indeed, the hope is that you notice that one of the zip ties breaks, before they all do.
Same procedure and precautions apply to wheel spokes. Breakage isn't that hard to spot before it is a serious problem but replacement of broken zip ties is a lot easier.
Likes For I-Like-To-Bike:
Old 06-06-19, 10:49 PM
acidfast7
Banned

Originally Posted by LorenMiranda
My 1999 Raleigh M50 (the only bike I have now) has a knock off Blackburn local rack on the rear. I affixed to it a black plastic produce basket of unknown origin. The basket makes the whole bike I have to say. It can carry 2 18'ers of beer... More than I need lol. I will try to get pics up of my "trash" bike. It was intended to be the runabout while I restored my Jamis Explorer (early 90s). But after a few weeks riding I just downsized to the one bike. I live car free in Spokane WA. The old style MTB makes a rock solid bike for these streets. Eventually it will get a fork upgrade (whether another suspension or something cool like the Crust Clydesdale is unknown) and trekking bars.
I bought that same bike when I started a PhD. 1999 M50. Treated me well for a very long time.
Old 06-07-19, 07:27 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1359 Post(s)
Liked 1,658 Times in 822 Posts
Wald Folding Baskets

Likes For BobbyG:
Old 06-07-19, 08:00 AM
acidfast7
Banned

Originally Posted by BobbyG
Wald Folding Baskets

That's a nice rig.
Old 06-07-19, 10:12 AM
LorenMiranda

Originally Posted by acidfast7
I bought that same bike when I started a PhD. 1999 M50. Treated me well for a very long time.
Now that makes me more pleased with my choice. I almost kept the Jamis instead. It was lighter...but that actually swayed my choice to the Raleigh. I trailer 2 kids...the chain stays on this are BEAST compared to most all other bikes. Made me feel safer for the kiddos.
Old 06-07-19, 10:34 AM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
They work fine for me, if any break I replace them.
That's a lot of baskets and basket experience.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.