Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Strava vs Garmin.

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Strava vs Garmin.

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-19, 11:41 AM
Helderberg

Bikes: Had an old Columbia in the 80's, here a used Schwinn hybrid, now a Cannondale Quick 3 and a Topstone 105..

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked 306 Times in 139 Posts
Strava vs Garmin.

I have been using the free version of Strava for over a year now but have been thinking of getting a Garmin dedicated bike computer. I don't go outside the surrounding areas and have no interest to set up a ride to follow on the screen. I like the segments option that Strava has and was wondering would I be better served using the subscription Strava over the Garmin or the Free Strava? I am confused. I don't have a power meter, not that I would not want one, but my rides are usually in the 12-15 mile range 4-5 times a week. For the cost of the computer and the type of riding I do is there any reason/benefit to a Garmin or subscription Strava for me or is it just money spent on another toy?
Thanks in advance, Frank.
Old 07-21-19, 12:18 PM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
It really depends what your looking to collect. If you want more data than your getting then a garmin will be the way to go. But if you just track distance or don't even care about data then don't waist your money and keep on with the free strava.

What are looking for?
Likes For sdmc530:
Old 07-21-19, 11:50 PM
denada

Bikes: '07 jamis venture race, '19 trek fx sport 4

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 22 Posts
is strava having a free trial currently? they did a while ago and i tested it out. it's not worth whatever they're charging. try it for a month yourself. all the good features are in the free version. the paid features are silly, in my opinion of course. everyone has different interests, so if someone is paying for strava i'm not ripping on their decision or anything.

garmin and strava integrate well. you don't have to chose. both my forerunner 220 running watch and edge 830 bike computer automatically load my runs and rides into strava. for free.
Likes For denada:
Old 07-22-19, 07:48 PM
talphie

Bikes: Volkscycle, Trek Fx3, Specialized Hard Rock

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I’ve struggled with similar questions. I have an inexpensive cateye computer on my bike and I use the free version of Strava as well. The only reason I would use the paid version is if I decided to get a smart trainer for the winter and connect with Zwift. But, that’s an investment I’ve avoided because I’m concerned I wouldn’t ride indoors enough to justify all the cost. I really only use Strava to track my miles and watch the other Strava athletes I connect with. My cateye actually tracks me slightly faster and logs slightly more distance each ride, so I like it better.
Likes For talphie: