Go Back  Bike Forums > News & Suggestions > Forum Suggestions & User Assistance
Reload this Page >

Don't let newbies attach to dead threads

Notices
Forum Suggestions & User Assistance Have a suggestion for the forums? Need help with the Forums? Post here.

Old 09-09-19, 09:12 AM
ksryder

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1281 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 329 Posts
Well first off this will probably get locked because they get really touchy if you discuss banned people.

Second off I always enjoyed wgscott and I was surprised to see he'd been permabanned. He was definitely a lot better than some of the outright racist and misogynist trolls that seem to operate with impunity here. When they first banned him I figured it would be like 2 week thing, but clearly that's not the case.

He seemed to really get into it with the mods on this issue and apparently that was the straw that broke the camel's back. Maybe there was some behind the scenes messages or some posts that were deleted that were worse. Or maybe he requested the ban. Since they only update the banned user list arbitrarily now I guess we'll never know.
Old 09-16-19, 09:56 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
Dude, he's back already.
Old 11-10-19, 06:14 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22514 Post(s)
Liked 8,843 Times in 4,113 Posts
Hi! What’s this thread about?

If we can’t have a reasonable limit on preventing zombie threads, could we at least have a zombie smilie option?
Old 11-10-19, 09:26 PM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by ksryder
Well first off this will probably get locked because they get really touchy if you discuss banned people.

Second off I always enjoyed wgscott and I was surprised to see he'd been permabanned. He was definitely a lot better than some of the outright racist and misogynist trolls that seem to operate with impunity here. When they first banned him I figured it would be like 2 week thing, but clearly that's not the case.

He seemed to really get into it with the mods on this issue and apparently that was the straw that broke the camel's back. Maybe there was some behind the scenes messages or some posts that were deleted that were worse. Or maybe he requested the ban. Since they only update the banned user list arbitrarily now I guess we'll never know.
Well forced PC can't change a person's feelings. And conservatism or being conventional doesn't mean misogynist. Although some people may mistakenly jump to that conclusion.
Old 11-14-19, 03:36 AM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Did he? I thought I saw his posts recently. I saw SOMEBODY'S posts recently that may have been banned for a while.

There is one sure way to know...if you have been banned your ID and all that disappears from the member list IIRC.
Old 11-14-19, 03:42 AM
Rollfast
What happened?

https://www.bikeforums.net/members/wgscott-347046.html

He posted YESTERDAY. I remember when he was banned, saw it, so I gather it was a suspension.
Old 11-14-19, 05:05 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
Hi! What’s this thread about?

If we can’t have a reasonable limit on preventing zombie threads, could we at least have a zombie smilie option?
FYA to the subscribers on this thread, I recently noted that @datlas (whom I've met personally and respect) had reawakened this current thread after laying dormant from 9/6 to 11/10.

On 11/10 he had replied to this hyperzombie thread on the Road Cycling Forum, Looking for a road bike for my girlfriend,” with the OP on 12/09/2000, and the most recent post preceding @datlas on 2/20/2001.
Originally Posted by datlas
So what did you get her? You’ve had plenty of time to decide.
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
Hi @datlas,

As you note, the OP has had about 18 years to decide.

Back in my courtin' days…

I specifically replied to this post though because earlier this evening I noted your post to this thread, dormant since September 16, "Don't let newbies attach to dead threads"
I have on a few occasions posted this quote about the ”expected lifespan” of a thread:
Originally Posted by alan s
You do realize that once this is out of the top 5 threads, no one will read it, and after it drops off the first page, it is ancient history.

Good luck keeping it active and getting anything useful out of it.
I also replied to this ancient thread, knowing its age Heya, where is everyone from?,”OP, 10/28/1999:
Originally Posted by SnoTurtle
Hi! this is a test post, just checkin it out! kinda cool

oh yeah, i live in utah.
Originally Posted by JanMM
[10/2/2009] The thread started in '99, in the 20th Century.
Originally Posted by JanMM
[10/31/2019] I suppose someone will be continuing to bump this Zombie Thread every 10 years?

I posted in it ten years ago - was already middle-aged when it began.
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
[11/3/2019] In 1999 I was kind of in the cycling doldrums…Just cycle commuting, not even in winter as I recall. That was between an active touring phase up until 1988, and resumption of road cycling in 2006.
Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
[11/4/2019] Not only zombie thread, but Snoturtle has been buried for 19 years.
Old 11-14-19, 07:59 AM
Deal4Fuji
minimalist cyclist

Bikes: yes please

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1112 Post(s)
Liked 1,626 Times in 935 Posts
Originally Posted by Deal4Fuji
Will thread start dates be brought back?
Originally Posted by IBRyan
Hi @Deal4Fuji , in this update not yet, but yesterday I raised another issue with tech so we are working on getting that back for the Bike Forums community! Thank you for your patience with that. I know it has been a long time coming and I will closely monitor the situation.
@IBRyan it's 6 months - is there no way to have the start date of threads added back ? That would sure help ID zombie threads.
Old 11-14-19, 01:52 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
@GailT @ksryder

I just read your posts. Thank you both for your very kind and generous words of encouragement. I really appreciate it.
Likes For Cyclist0108:
Old 11-14-19, 02:03 PM
ksryder

Originally Posted by wgscott
@GailT @ksryder

I just read your posts. Thank you both for your very kind and generous words of encouragement. I really appreciate it.
Welcome back. Nice Soma, btw.
Old 11-14-19, 02:10 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Welcome back. Nice Soma, btw.
Thanks!

The fork has me worried:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_1002.jpg (935.0 KB, 58 views)
Old 11-14-19, 02:15 PM
ksryder

Originally Posted by wgscott
Thanks!

The fork has me worried:
Oh yeah. That looks concerning. I hope Soma's customer service is responsive.
Old 11-14-19, 02:18 PM
loky1179

Bikes: 2x Bianchi, 2x Specialized, 3x Schwinns

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
I bumped a 17-year-old thread the other day as a joke and not only did it get locked, now it seems to have disappeared.

That seems excessive.

And humorless.
You got that right about humorless. Nothing new here.

From just 10 years ago .. . https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sug...on-lately.html

The thread starter Khatfull https://www.bikeforums.net/members/khatfull-135637.html had a little fun, and would bump the thread on the anniversary date. He missed a couple years, so I helped out. Did this for 8 years, was just a fun, harmless bit of conversation.

Shut down by a moderator with the line "Enough fun. Closed."

Pretty much when I stopped posting to the forum.
Old 11-14-19, 02:57 PM
ksryder

Originally Posted by loky1179
You got that right about humorless. Nothing new here.

From just 10 years ago .. . https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sug...on-lately.html

The thread starter Khatfull https://www.bikeforums.net/members/khatfull-135637.html had a little fun, and would bump the thread on the anniversary date. He missed a couple years, so I helped out. Did this for 8 years, was just a fun, harmless bit of conversation.

Shut down by a moderator with the line "Enough fun. Closed."

Pretty much when I stopped posting to the forum.
Always fun to see how many people on those old threads are now banned.

I think if you stick around long enough on BF maybe your risk of getting banned increases.

Something about you either die a hero or live long enough to become a villain, I suppose.
Old 11-15-19, 09:13 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,664 Times in 2,497 Posts
So much whining about moderation, did anyone read the forum rules posted above which addresses that pretty clearly? The funny thing is there is just as much whining in here about us killing zombie threads as there is about us not killing zombie threads. We will almost always kill a resurrected thread if the people involved originally are not here. Sometimes we delete if there is problematic content. We have evolved somewhat in the amount of misogyny, racism, homophobia, transphobia and other bigotry that we will tolerate. You can call it PC if you want, but we call it being reasonably polite to people that want to participate here that are hurt by bigoted posts.

Some of us think that the "related threads" feature has contributed to the resurrection of zombie threads. I blame google.
Likes For unterhausen:
Old 11-15-19, 09:40 AM
ksryder

You say whining, I say playful banter.
Old 11-15-19, 10:02 AM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

The sad fact is folks like @GailT and @TimothyH are getting chased off, which destroys the sense of community. (I, however, am grateful to have been provided the opportunity to come back so that I could delete all of my photos and other personal content I unwisely posted here.)

Necroposts and DOS trojans disguised as ads don't offer quite the same appeal.
Old 11-17-19, 07:34 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Ti, guy. That's where it's at.

No need to feel like Bill Hicks when it's all in your control.