Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Are Drop bars just an illusion for most?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Are Drop bars just an illusion for most?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-19, 01:55 PM
dkatz1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 63 Posts
Originally Posted by DynoD500_SR20-d
I was riding today and I saw a guy with drops attached to his mountain bike straight bars.
Now I find myself in the hoods and the top of the bars most of the time. If I bought my bike with straight bars it would not look as "racy". So my question is, "Are drop bars an illusion?" for most of us riders who want to fit in?
I have a road bike (an Independent Fabrication) that I had made with flat handle bars (which ended up requiging mountain bike brakes). I used to prefer drops, but my back won't tolerate, and even worse, the arthritis in my hands is bad enough that I can't really work the brakes in the drops.
Old 09-09-19, 01:57 PM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,314 Times in 707 Posts
Originally Posted by Ironfish653
Would this still count as a drop bar? Some on this thread might think not.

Well, I wouldn't call them moustache bars but perhaps "raised eyebrow' bars?
Likes For Happy Feet:
Old 09-09-19, 02:16 PM
Ironfish653
Dirty Heathen

Bikes: 1997 Cannondale, 1976 Bridgestone, 1998 SoftRide, 1989 Klein, 1989 Black Lightning #0033

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Liked 906 Times in 534 Posts
Originally Posted by Happy Feet
Well, I wouldn't call them moustache bars but perhaps "raised eyebrow' bars?
Weird is as weird does

Old 09-09-19, 02:27 PM
yukiinu

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 12 Posts
Drop bars illusion?

Originally Posted by DynoD500_SR20-d
I was riding today and I saw a guy with drops attached to his mountain bike straight bars.
Now I find myself in the hoods and the top of the bars most of the time. If I bought my bike with straight bars it would not look as "racy". So my question is, "Are drop bars an illusion?" for most of us riders who want to fit in?
Drop bars allow you to change hand and body position, on the drops you have more power/ leverage for climbing. I have a mountain bike with dropbar extentions, they let me do all of the above and change hand positions on all day 80+ mile Per day cross country rides. You are only using 2 of the 4 hand positions available on drop bars. My MTB/drop bars have 5 hand positions.
Old 09-09-19, 02:43 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by yukiinu
Drop bars allow you to change hand and body position, on the drops you have more power/ leverage for climbing. I have a mountain bike with dropbar extentions, they let me do all of the above and change hand positions on all day 80+ mile Per day cross country rides. You are only using 2 of the 4 hand positions available on drop bars. My MTB/drop bars have 5 hand positions.
Can you post a picture of the dropbar extension setup?
Old 09-09-19, 02:45 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Weird is as weird does

Can you rig that seatpost up to shoot watermelons over a wall?
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 09-09-19, 02:58 PM
yukiinu

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
Can you post a picture of the dropbar extension setup?
You can find them on Amazon. 2 types. I got the ones that have a sleak mounting connection as opposed to the ones that have a more bulky mounting connection. However mine have a 10° angle out from flat MTB bar that you may not like how it pressures your wrist, sometimes it bothers me sometimes not.
Old 09-09-19, 03:06 PM
Jeff Neese

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1083 Post(s)
Liked 686 Times in 440 Posts
I guess I'll chime in. Across 4 vintage mountain bikes, I have two with drop-bar conversions, one with trekking bars, and one with normal flat bars. It depends on where I'm going to ride, but when I want the most control over challenging surfaces and also a variety of comfortable hand positions, I jump on one of the ones with drop bars. You generally have to swap stems in order to bring the handlebars closer for a perfect fit, if you're going from flat MTB bars to drop bars.

The only downside is shifters. I actually prefer friction shifting to indexed, but if you need indexing then it's hard to find a good solution switching from flat bars to drops.
Old 09-09-19, 03:18 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by yukiinu
You can find them on Amazon. 2 types. I got the ones that have a sleak mounting connection as opposed to the ones that have a more bulky mounting connection. However mine have a 10° angle out from flat MTB bar that you may not like how it pressures your wrist, sometimes it bothers me sometimes not.
I've seen them for sale but I've never actually seen them on a bike that someone was using. I'm curious how your brake setup works, for example.
Old 09-09-19, 05:29 PM
Ironfish653
Dirty Heathen

Bikes: 1997 Cannondale, 1976 Bridgestone, 1998 SoftRide, 1989 Klein, 1989 Black Lightning #0033

Originally Posted by unmumpsimus
Originally Posted by Jeff Neese
I guess I'll chime in. Across 4 vintage mountain bikes, I have two with drop-bar conversions, one with trekking bars, and one with normal flat bars. It depends on where I'm going to ride, but when I want the most control over challenging surfaces and also a variety of comfortable hand positions,
Which is why you see all those folks riding the "most challenging surfaces" on MTBs with drop bars.

oh wait...
Even this guy switched to flat bars: He won, on this bike, but he still switched to flat bars.

Old 09-09-19, 08:25 PM
Happy Feet

Hum... How many drop bars can we count?

Btw, I use an stationary bike at work to exercise elderly residents and we have a 32" TV in front of it to cut the boredom. This is one of the favorite videos to chromecast to it

Last edited by Happy Feet; 09-09-19 at 08:29 PM.
Old 09-10-19, 05:24 AM
Jeff Neese

Originally Posted by unmumpsimus
Which is why you see all those folks riding the "most challenging surfaces" on MTBs with drop bars.

oh wait...
I would encourage you to view some cyclocross racing - then you'll get it. Here's one of many to get you started.

Of course I'm not a cyclocross racer and if I was I'd certainly buy a dedicated bike. But since I have a Trek 970 mountain bike with drop bars, I don't feel a need to buy a Surly Cross Check or something like that.

Last edited by Jeff Neese; 09-10-19 at 05:30 AM.
Old 09-10-19, 07:28 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
I would encourage you to view some cyclocross racing - then you'll get it. Here's one of many to get you started.

Of course I'm not a cyclocross racer and if I was I'd certainly buy a dedicated bike. But since I have a Trek 970 mountain bike with drop bars, I don't feel a need to buy a Surly Cross Check or something like that.

https://youtu.be/aCfIn9wRr3w
I would like to take this opportunity to point out that the guy catching air in the video thumbnail is riding on his hoods

It is also worth pointing out that for UCI races (and some others as well), drop bars are mandated for CX. People are not choosing drop bars for cyclocross because they are better in the technical stuff, they use them either because they have to, or because they are an advantage in the non-technical stuff. There’s also the fact that it is simply traditional for the sport.

Of course this is largely subjective, and if you like drops for the rough stuff than use them. However, I have the suspicion that your experience with flats versus drops has more to do with the particular set ups of your four bikes.
Likes For Kapusta:
Old 09-10-19, 08:44 AM
Happy Feet

Originally Posted by Kapusta
I would like to take this opportunity to point out that the guy catching air in the video thumbnail is riding on his hoods
As are most of the riders, most of the time in the video.
Old 09-10-19, 01:45 PM
Jeff Neese

Of course this is largely subjective, and if you like drops for the rough stuff than use them. However, I have the suspicion that your experience with flats versus drops has more to do with the particular set ups of your four bikes.
It has to do with having a lower center of gravity, and being able to modulate the amount of weight placed over the front tire and how easy it is to move your COG front to back. Riding in the drops is, for me, much more stable and gives me better control when I need it.
Old 09-10-19, 06:50 PM
Ironfish653
Dirty Heathen

It has to do with having a lower center of gravity, and being able to modulate the amount of weight placed over the front tire and how easy it is to move your COG front to back. Riding in the drops is, for me, much more stable and gives me better control when I need it.

Not all MTBs are (were) created equal. A Trek 970 is a lot different from an M2 Stumpjumper or an F-1000 (and that's just 1990's bikes)
The 970's a nicely built bike, but it still falls under the 'recreational MTB' category, rather than 'XC Race Bike' running a zero-rise stem and 3" of saddle-bar drop.

'Challenging Terrain' too can mean different things to different people. Fast fire roads, rocky jeep trails, loamy single track; IMO it takes a lot of monkey motion to keep a bike under you climbing a root ladder or dropping through a rock garden, I've never felt that the straight bars on my trail bike were holding me back.
IME, i've found that drop-bar road riders are the most 'locked-in' on their bikes, ie; 'must keep their butt on the saddle and both wheels on the ground' That certainly limits your handling options.
Old 09-10-19, 07:22 PM
Jeff Neese

Not all MTBs are (were) created equal. A Trek 970 is a lot different from an M2 Stumpjumper or an F-1000 (and that's just 1990's bikes)
The 970's a nicely built bike, but it still falls under the 'recreational MTB' category, rather than 'XC Race Bike' running a zero-rise stem and 3" of saddle-bar drop.

'Challenging Terrain' too can mean different things to different people. Fast fire roads, rocky jeep trails, loamy single track; IMO it takes a lot of monkey motion to keep a bike under you climbing a root ladder or dropping through a rock garden, I've never felt that the straight bars on my trail bike were holding me back.
IME, i've found that drop-bar road riders are the most 'locked-in' on their bikes, ie; 'must keep their butt on the saddle and both wheels on the ground' That certainly limits your handling options.
I agree with your assessments. I ride vintage rigid chromoly frames, specifically a Trek 970 and 930, a Rockhopper, and an old Fuji. I am not a competitive rider by any stretch. I do know that when I'm barrelling fast downhill on a hard-packed dirt and gravel road, with all of it's potholes, washboard, ruts and other irregularities and start reaching that 25mph mark, I really feel more secure down in the drops. And for climbing it's better as well - I find I can drop down and use my entire body more efficiently. But then again, that's just me. I came from a touring and road bike background so I became accustomed to that style of riding.

I do not agree that riding in the drops causes one to be "locked in" or limited in any way. Just the opposite. When I'm in the drops, I can put as much weight as I want on my butt and can go from full seated to lifting barely off the saddle to full standing all very smoothly, with just minimal movement. I can put more or less weight over the front or rear wheel as the situation demands. I feel better balanced and more in control. I attribute most of this to simply having a lower center of gravity, but I also think the hand position is more natural.
Old 09-15-19, 11:57 AM
Commutess
Single speeder

Bikes: I have six.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I would say that you only need drop bars if you are competing in road races, track, or you ride extremely long rides in areas that frequently have a strong headwind. Other than those reasons there is no reason to have drop bars. Casual riders with drop bars spend 99% of their time on the hoods, which is equivalent to bar ends on a flat bar. In city riding I think that flat/riser bars are much preferable since they offer more control steering the bike.
Old 09-15-19, 01:22 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by Commutess
I would say that you only need drop bars if you are competing in road races, track, or you ride extremely long rides in areas that frequently have a strong headwind. Other than those reasons there is no reason to have drop bars. Casual riders with drop bars spend 99% of their time on the hoods, which is equivalent to bar ends on a flat bar. In city riding I think that flat/riser bars are much preferable since they offer more control steering the bike.
I would say that many of us prefer drop bars because we prefer the multiple hand positions.
Old 09-15-19, 01:29 PM
sjanzeir
BF's Resident Dumbass

Bikes: 1990 Raleigh Flyer (size 21"); 2014 Trek 7.6 FX (size 15"); 2014 Trek 7.6 FX (size 17.5"); 2019 Dahon Mu D9; 2020 Dahon Hemingway D9

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 792 Post(s)
Liked 1,494 Times in 496 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
I would say that many of us prefer drop bars because we prefer the multiple hand positions.
I would say that it's important for many people to be seen on bikes with drop bars, even if they don't need them or can't really use them comfortably and effectively.
Old 09-15-19, 01:35 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Maybe. I guess I really don't care what I look like. I like the comfort and control of drops: having raced cyclocross, track, and road (especially crits) I don't agree that somehow drops offer less control than flat bars.
Old 09-15-19, 01:46 PM
sjanzeir
BF's Resident Dumbass

Bikes: 1990 Raleigh Flyer (size 21"); 2014 Trek 7.6 FX (size 15"); 2014 Trek 7.6 FX (size 17.5"); 2019 Dahon Mu D9; 2020 Dahon Hemingway D9

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 792 Post(s)
Liked 1,494 Times in 496 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
I would say Maybe. I guess I really don't care what I look like. I like the comfort and control of drops: having raced cyclocross, track, and road (especially crits) I don't agree that somehow drops offer less control than flat bars.
Dude, you broke the chain!

In other words, there's no disputing the usefulness of drop bars in competitive cycling. Commutess and many others were debating the usefulness of drop bars for non-competitive cyclists, i.e. the rest of us, the "others", the dullards who so brazenly dare to muddy up the purity of the temple that is Bike Forum. Which is the whole point of this thread, if I recall.
Old 09-15-19, 02:00 PM
Metieval

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 214 Posts
Originally Posted by sjanzeir
I would say that it's important for many people to be seen on bikes with drop bars, even if they don't need them or can't really use them comfortably and effectively.
It's only important to be seen on drop bars, after 60 miles, because up until then........ a flat bar works just fine.
Old 09-15-19, 02:19 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Originally Posted by Metieval
It's only important to be seen on drop bars, after 60 miles, because up until then........ a flat bar works just fine.
Flat bars with bar ends or riser bars with bar ends work just fine for 100 miles or more. There is really no limit how far you can ride with flat bars.
Likes For wolfchild:
Old 09-15-19, 02:33 PM
Metieval

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 214 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
Flat bars with bar ends or riser bars with bar ends work just fine for 100 miles or more. There is really no limit how far you can ride with flat bars.
well yes. true, but not totally true.

if only I could shift from my bar ends on a flat bar.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.