Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Lotus Super Pro Aero ~ Rare Find

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Lotus Super Pro Aero ~ Rare Find

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-19, 10:53 PM
Jeff Wills
Insane Bicycle Mechanic

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 802 Post(s)
Liked 703 Times in 376 Posts
I might have a Dura Ace AX rear hub and cassette in my pile o' stuff. I'll dig through tomorrow after I get some sleep.

Comcast nuked my web page. It will return soon..
Old 10-17-19, 02:24 AM
Highmass

Bikes: 1991 Centurion Oxygen, 1997 Centurion Invincible, 1995+- Fondriest Wind, 1982 Grand Master Nissan Pro 2000, 1992 Olmo Racing (The racing part of the name HAS to be a joke).

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 20 Posts
Whoa. What a score, congrats. This is as desirable as any red Italian bike with Campy, in my opinion. If it was my size, I´d be envious. And at that price!. While you could either try to match the original spec, or try to color match the decals, I would do neither. If the current configuration is how it was raced, I´d try to keep as close to that as possible. I mean, how many of us have bikes that have belonged to former plympic contestants, and that have actually won races. If the former owner can confirm that the current configuration (Minus rear rim of course), is how he raced it, then I think it should be kept this way, to preserve it´s history.
Old 10-17-19, 08:53 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
Originally Posted by jjhabbs
I own one Lotus. Not half as cool as yours!

JJ
Oh, that's arguable. While it may have Dura-Ace EX as opposed to AX, it does at least have the Dyna-Drive crankset and pedals, and appears to completely OEM. While the tubing isn't aero, it is an almost equally rare Japanese manufactured frame with Columbus SL/SP. On top of that, it does have chromed head lugs and a great colour. IMO, it's a tie.
Old 10-17-19, 11:43 AM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Bikes: Two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1254 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 174 Posts
Originally Posted by T-Mar
Oh, that's arguable. While it may have Dura-Ace EX as opposed to AX, it does at least have the Dyna-Drive crankset and pedals, and appears to completely OEM. While the tubing isn't aero, it is an almost equally rare Japanese manufactured frame with Columbus SL/SP. On top of that, it does have chromed head lugs and a great colour. IMO, it's a tie.
The 3rensho currently in the for sale section is the only other aero bike I've seen with close to some of the same features. Frankly, I think the Lotus executed it better.

Not really a bike I'd call a rider...especially with the ADBX bars and original cranks/pedals...but it's definitely a cool piece. If OP wants to make it original (and I do think you should at least have the correct parts), shnibob has the stem and bars available. Original saddle was a kashimax, it gets the cool plastic bit over the headset, and the DA bottle/cage.

I have one restored almost perfectly correct if you're interested. I paid far more.

Last edited by KonAaron Snake; 10-17-19 at 11:53 AM.
Old 10-17-19, 01:19 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4510 Post(s)
Liked 6,377 Times in 3,667 Posts
Originally Posted by KonAaron Snake
The 3rensho currently in the for sale section is the only other aero bike I've seen with close to some of the same features. Frankly, I think the Lotus executed it better.

Not really a bike I'd call a rider...especially with the ADBX bars and original cranks/pedals...but it's definitely a cool piece. If OP wants to make it original (and I do think you should at least have the correct parts), shnibob has the stem and bars available. Original saddle was a kashimax, it gets the cool plastic bit over the headset, and the DA bottle/cage.

I have one restored almost perfectly correct if you're interested. I paid far more.
This was a formative time, a lot going on with several companies dragging their feet, not Shimano.

They tapped Merz to build them a showcase for what they were up to.

Needless to say, he delivered.

https://scontent-sea1-1.xx.fbcdn.net...76&oe=5E2FEF2C

https://scontent-sea1-1.xx.fbcdn.net...9e&oe=5E61D035

https://scontent-sea1-1.xx.fbcdn.net...c1&oe=5E5F668D

https://scontent-sea1-1.xx.fbcdn.net...ac&oe=5E21DD4C

https://scontent-sea1-1.xx.fbcdn.net...33&oe=5E295E00

https://scontent-sea1-1.xx.fbcdn.net...19&oe=5E63D333

Last edited by merziac; 10-19-19 at 03:42 PM.
Old 10-17-19, 01:23 PM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Originally Posted by merziac
This was a formative time, a lot going on with several companies dragging their feet, not Shimano.

They tapped Merz to build them a showcase for what they were up to.

Needles to say, he delivered.

Follow the link to his FB page and then look at several closeups.

https://scontent-sea1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/482910_551216441561256_962491011_n.jpg?_nc_cat=100&_nc_oc=AQnIVNzme8U6V7_DBrcJ1iFJi2Q_m1cC5vboLhYs9I uQkYrjlh8nOuuHo9iymkPH68M&_nc_ht=scontent-sea1-1.xx&oh=88b3fee7ad37741b8621292385fdd676&oe=5E2FEF2C
Link no workie...maybe just post photos?

I don't know Merz's custom stuff well, and am more familiar with his work at Specialized.
Old 10-17-19, 01:42 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Link no workie...maybe just post photos?

I don't know Merz's custom stuff well, and am more familiar with his work at Specialized.
Links to pics working now.

He built custom frames and bikes of all kinds in PDX for 10 years, "Specializing" in touring bikes

His work at Big S was preceded by being friends with Synyard who slept on his couch well before it took off which he was instrumental in as he consulted, tested and helped develop the touring tires that launched them.
Old 10-17-19, 01:53 PM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Links to pics working now.

He built custom frames and bikes of all kinds in PDX for 10 years, "Specializing" in touring bikes

His work at Big S was preceded by being friends with Synyard who slept on his couch well before it took off which he was instrumental in as he consulted, tested and helped develop the touring tires that launched them.
While I’m sure it has nice workmanship, I don’t think it comes close to executing the concept in the way that the Lotus does. It’s a traditional frame with different shifter mounts and that incorporates the ax rd. It’s not on par with the Lotus in terms of design integration. Of the bikes I’ve seen with AX, that’s actually among the most ordinary.

It doesn't even include one of the most fun parts...the AX wedged aero post.

Last edited by KonAaron Snake; 10-17-19 at 01:56 PM.
Old 10-17-19, 02:10 PM
merziac

While I’m sure it has nice workmanship, I don’t think it comes close to executing the concept in the way that the Lotus does. It’s a traditional frame with different shifter mounts and that incorporates the ax rd. It’s not on par with the Lotus in terms of design integration. Of the bikes I’ve seen with AX, that’s actually among the most ordinary.

It doesn't even include one of the most fun parts...the AX wedged aero post.
Agreed, pretty sure this was well before the Lotus's were. Shimano tapped him for the introduction of AX, this bike was built for the NY International show and I believe went to Milan as well. Pretty big deal to have them ask you to build for them, they could have had anyone do it. He laid a lot of ground work for what was to come.

I would encourage you to seek out an example to inspect, "nice workmanship" is quite an understatement IMO.

If you ever make it to PDX, I would be happy to show you mine.
Old 10-17-19, 02:28 PM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Agreed, pretty sure this was well before the Lotus's were. Shimano tapped him for the introduction of AX, this bike was built for the NY International show and I believe went to Milan as well. Pretty big deal to have them ask you to build for them, they could have had anyone do it. He laid a lot of ground work for what was to come.

I would encourage you to seek out an example to inspect, "nice workmanship" is quite an understatement IMO.

If you ever make it to PDX, I would be happy to show you mine.
Frankly, I’m this case, nice workmanship was kind. I understand your point about - if - it came before the designs that followed (I don’t know that to be accurate), but the geometry of the bike is totally wrong for that concept/group. If the intent was only to build a tool to hang some parts from, ok. If it was to build a bike for use with ax, Blech.

I also think you might be romanticizing how suppliers are chosen; that’s typically a function of price, relationships, and location.

None of which is to try and take away from a very important designer; I’m sure he’s made many impressive bikes. This one isn’t among them to me.

It could be that I don’t like what Shimano ordered rather than what he built.
Old 10-17-19, 02:34 PM
pastorbobnlnh 
Freewheel Medic

Bikes: Snazzy* Schwinns, Classy Cannondales & a Super Pro Aero Lotus (* Ed.)

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 1452 Post(s)
Liked 2,195 Times in 962 Posts

Aaron, thanks for jumping on this thread and sharing your thoughts. I'm taking the liberty of posting a picture of your Super Pro Aero here as a comparison of what is spec for this bike (let me know if you want me to take this down).

Is your bike 100% spec as best you can tell? 6 or 7 speed? Can you post a pictures which shows the bars from above? Do they have a unique shape? It looks as if you have original hoods on the levers. Is my best bet just to keep looking on ebay? Do you know if the 600AX hoods are a close match to the DA AX hoods?

I'm leaning more to what @Highmass (welcome to BF and C&V!) suggests, keeping it close to how the original owner raced the bike. It does need at least new brake shoes and cable housings. I just realized last night there is no derailleur cable housing. The single stretch of cable from the BB shell to the RD along the right chain stay is a sight to behold. I'll try to take and post better pictures of this setup.

I have stayed in touch with him and he has invited me to come by after the end of the year when he is settled into is new home and his wife's cancer treatments are complete, to learn more about the bike and his career. He has located additional cassettes and chainrings which he wants to pass along to me.
@jjhabbs thanks for posting your Pink Supreme. What a beauty! Lotus offered the Super Pro Aero in Pink or Gold in 1983. That's a great color. I'll take a look at the 3rensho in the classified.

@merziac, thanks for your insights as well. Very helpful since I've never paid any attention to these types of bikes.

Thanks for visiting my website: www.freewheelspa.com

Old 10-17-19, 03:06 PM
merziac

Frankly, I’m this case, nice workmanship was kind. I understand your point about - if - it came before the designs that followed (I don’t know that to be accurate), but the geometry of the bike is totally wrong for that concept/group. If the intent was only to build a tool to hang some parts from, ok. If it was to build a bike for use with ax, Blech.

I also think you might be romanticizing how suppliers are chosen; that’s typically a function of price, relationships, and location.

None of which is to try and take away from a very important designer; I’m sure he’s made many impressive bikes. This one isn’t among them to me.

It could be that I don’t like what Shimano ordered rather than what he built.
Well I get it and do agree, he admits it was somewhat of a kludge, supposedly built in a day right before the show. I do understand the relationships, he was on board with them from early on when Campy didn't want to listen about what was coming and Shimano did, this is fairly well documented most recently in a BQ article last year I think.

You're right about the romanticizing that most of us are guilty of but this was a bona fide relationship based on Shimano's need to tap into someone with real world hands on experience and vision, Jim was it for them, especially after Campy blew him off.

Here's Peter Kohlers excerpt, turns out it was 1980 so the year before Lotus went there.

Sidney Star embraced the aero concept for Lotus and was the first to introduce it to the United States market on a commercial basis after a one-off frame was made (in one day!) for the New York Bike Show in January 1980 by Jim Merz for display at the Shimano stand. Three prototypes were built in 1981 for Lotus’ sponsored attempt to break the transcontinental record from Santa Monica, California to New York by Jim Black in June, and painted in a striking pink livery. One of these still exists in a private collection.
Likes For merziac:
Old 10-17-19, 03:09 PM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

It’s 100% fine. I didn’t post because I didn’t want to intrude on your show.

I’m not sure on the 600 question...I know I went through this, and I - think - they did not fit, and I had to buy new levers. I’m not sure what AX goes for these days, but I spent money on mine because I do think it’s one of the most interesting bikes around. I do have mine stock, other than the tires, and the color of tape. I liked how the yellow popped with the blue of the gruppo.

Originally Posted by pastorbobnlnh
Aaron, thanks for jumping on this thread and sharing your thoughts. I'm taking the liberty of posting a picture of your Super Pro Aero here as a comparison of what is spec for this bike (let me know if you want me to take this down).

Is your bike 100% spec as best you can tell? 6 or 7 speed? Can you post a pictures which shows the bars from above? Do they have a unique shape? It looks as if you have original hoods on the levers. Is my best bet just to keep looking on ebay? Do you know if the 600AX hoods are a close match to the DA AX hoods?

I'm leaning more to what @Highmass (welcome to BF and C&V!) suggests, keeping it close to how the original owner raced the bike. It does need at least new brake shoes and cable housings. I just realized last night there is no derailleur cable housing. The single stretch of cable from the BB shell to the RD along the right chain stay is a sight to behold. I'll try to take and post better pictures of this setup.

I have stayed in touch with him and he has invited me to come by after the end of the year when he is settled into is new home and his wife's cancer treatments are complete, to learn more about the bike and his career. He has located additional cassettes and chainrings which he wants to pass along to me.
@jjhabbs thanks for posting your Pink Supreme. What a beauty! Lotus offered the Super Pro Aero in Pink or Gold in 1983. That's a great color. I'll take a look at the 3rensho in the classified.

@merziac, thanks for your insights as well. Very helpful since I've never paid any attention to these types of bikes.
I think mine was 6...but it’s in storage right now. I can check the next time I’m over there.

Last edited by KonAaron Snake; 10-17-19 at 03:21 PM.
Old 10-17-19, 03:14 PM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Well I get it and do agree, he admits it was somewhat of a kludge, supposedly built in a day right before the show. I do understand the relationships, he was on board with them from early on when Campy didn't want to listen about what was coming and Shimano did, this is fairly well documented most recently in a BQ article last year I think.

You're right about the romanticizing that most of us are guilty of but this was a bona fide relationship based on Shimano's need to tap into someone with real world hands on experience and vision, Jim was it for them, especially after Campy blew him off. The Lotus aero supreme is certainly the exemplar of the ax era in my mind.

Here's Peter Kohlers excerpt, turns out it was 1980 so the year before Lotus went there.

Sidney Star embraced the aero concept for Lotus and was the first to introduce it to the United States market on a commercial basis after a one-off frame was made (in one day!) for the New York Bike Show in January 1980 by Jim Merz for display at the Shimano stand. Three prototypes were built in 1981 for Lotus’ sponsored attempt to break the transcontinental record from Santa Monica, California to New York by Jim Black in June, and painted in a striking pink livery. One of these still exists in a private collection.
That makes a lot of sense...and as a rush job, it does put things into perspective. I’m really not trying to run down Merz here...I’ve had quite a few specialized bikes over the years, and have a lot of respect for much of what they did.

I missed out on a pink aero many years back...I kicked myself for a long tine before finally sourcing mine. I have a particular fondness for Lotus, and I think the super aero pro really is the pinnacle of what they did.
Likes For KonAaron Snake:
Old 10-17-19, 03:28 PM
merziac

That makes a lot of sense...and as a rush job, it does put things into perspective. I’m really not trying to run down Merz here...I’ve had quite a few specialized bikes over the years, and have a lot of respect for much of what they did.

I missed out on a pink aero many years back...I kicked myself for a long tine before finally sourcing mine. I have a particular fondness for Lotus, and I think the super aero pro really is the pinnacle of what they did.
No worries, I do get it, love having this kind of exchange, expands the playbook and horizons all at the same time, all good.

Again, I would encourage you to research him before his tenure at Big S, he was a force before, during and after, had a far bigger hand in many things than he is well known for. His and DiNucci's time in Japan at Synyards behest was a game changer for all of cycling despite it caving in with the crash of the yen, they had already left their mark that is still evident in the 100's of 1000's of well made reasonably priced middle to upper end steel frames that came from every reputable maker from then on. They get very little credit for this but had a very large hand in much of it.
Old 10-17-19, 03:31 PM
merziac

You're welcome, glad you got something out of it despite my going on and on, sorry for the derail.
Old 10-17-19, 03:56 PM
jiangshi
Banned.

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked 270 Times in 172 Posts

I think mine was 6...but it’s in storage right now. I can check the next time I’m over there.
I am fairly certain all DA AX rear hubs were 7s. First gen DA 7400 were 6s, even though they were later. Same UG cogs, though.
Likes For jiangshi:
Old 10-17-19, 09:16 PM
Lascauxcaveman 

Bikes: A green one, "Ragleigh," or something.

Mentioned: 194 Post(s)
Quoted: 1627 Post(s)
Liked 630 Times in 356 Posts
@pastorbobnlnh: You have confessed to the sin of N+1. One Hail Mary and one Our Father and you're good. I mean that bike at that price? I think The Lord meant you to have it. Some say he works in mysterious ways, but IME, sometimes he also tosses us an occasional no-brainer. So be it.

Now go forth and sin no more. At least not for a little while.
● 1971 Grandis SL ● 1972 Lambert Grand Prix frankenbike ● 1972 Raleigh Super Course fixie ● 1973 Nishiki Semi-Pro ● 1979 Motobecane Grand Jubile ●1980 Apollo "Legnano" ● 1984 Peugeot Vagabond ● 1985 Shogun Prairie Breaker ● 1986 Merckx Super Corsa ● 1987 Schwinn Tempo ● 1988 Schwinn Voyageur ● 1989 Bottechia Team ADR replica ● 1990 Cannondale ST600 ● 1993 Technium RT600 ● 1996 Kona Lava Dome ●

Likes For Lascauxcaveman:
Old 10-18-19, 12:57 AM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2363 Post(s)
Liked 1,749 Times in 1,191 Posts
^^^^^ Preaching to the choir, man....
Old 10-18-19, 09:10 PM
Jeff Wills
Insane Bicycle Mechanic

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 802 Post(s)
Liked 703 Times in 376 Posts
Originally Posted by jiangshi
I am fairly certain all DA AX rear hubs were 7s. First gen DA 7400 were 6s, even though they were later. Same UG cogs, though.
Dura-Ace AX was 7-speed. Dura-Ace EX from the same era was 6-speed. I don't know if I ever saw a 5-speed but the hub was in the 1982 catalog:

Comcast nuked my web page. It will return soon..
Old 10-19-19, 03:23 AM
pastorbobnlnh 
Freewheel Medic

I made a slightly disappointing discovery yesterday: The rear wheel is a clincher and not a tubular. I had suspected this when I went to see the bike and asked "if both wheels were tubular?" The original owner assured me they were and since he was emotional I decided not to let air out of the tire to check.

This does change the direction I was leaning to leave it as bought because it was raced this way. Based on the condition of the Mavic clincher rim (absolutely no brake wear), he never raced on this wheel. Being a fan of tubulars, I'll be leaning strongly in that direction. So do I find a Faimme Ergal yellow label rim to relace and to match the front? Or do I go on a hunt to find a set of original spec DA-AX wheels?

Likes For pastorbobnlnh:
Old 10-19-19, 07:57 AM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 2422 Post(s)
Liked 4,391 Times in 2,092 Posts
I made a slightly disappointing discovery yesterday: The rear wheel is a clincher and not a tubular. I had suspected this when I went to see the bike and asked "if both wheels were tubular?" The original owner assured me they were and since he was emotional I decided not to let air out of the tire to check.

This does change the direction I was leaning to leave it as bought because it was raced this way. Based on the condition of the Mavic clincher rim (absolutely no brake wear), he never raced on this wheel. Being a fan of tubulars, I'll be leaning strongly in that direction. So do I find a Faimme Ergal yellow label rim to relace and to match the front? Or do I go on a hunt to find a set of original spec DA-AX wheels?
Bob - just to clarify, the front is still a tubular, but the rear a clincher?

If Scott doesn't have what you need, just let me know and I'll check the next time I'm there.

-Kurt

Last edited by cudak888; 04-08-23 at 07:37 AM.
Old 10-19-19, 09:24 AM
pastorbobnlnh 
Freewheel Medic

Originally Posted by cudak888
Bob - just to clarify, the front is still a tubular, but the rear a clincher? I'm pretty sure that Willie's Bicycles ought to have a Fiamme Ergal kicking around. I've also had DA-AX hubs in the past too - not frequently, but it can happen.

If Scott doesn't have what you need, just let me know and I'll check the next time I'm there.

-Kurt
Kurt, you are correct. The front is a tubular (Clement) on a Fiamme Ergal and the rear is a clincher on a Mavic Open Pro. I've emailed Scott and waiting to hear back. I'll keep you posted about whether I'll need you to hunt down Ergal or not.

Old 10-19-19, 09:54 AM
Highmass

Bikes: 1991 Centurion Oxygen, 1997 Centurion Invincible, 1995+- Fondriest Wind, 1982 Grand Master Nissan Pro 2000, 1992 Olmo Racing (The racing part of the name HAS to be a joke).

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 20 Posts
According to the Lotus homepage mentioned in the first post, the bike would originally have been mounted with Araya aero rims. Also the pictures shows it with what does indeed look like Araya aero. I have a set of Araya aero clinchers that I love dearly. Actually I think they are the most beautiful rims I have (Closely followed by the early Campagnolo aero rims). Also my Arayas are suprisingly tough rims. I´m kinda´fat, and I´ve given the rims more than their fair share of abuse, and yet they are still in surprisingly good condition. I doubt that there is much if any aerodynamic advantage to them, as they are fairly low profile, but they are SO pretty.
I´d say either keep the bike just as it is, or hunt down some of the correct Araya rims. If you´re convinced that the bike has not been raced with the Mavic, I´d hunt down the Arayas if it was my bike.
I think I saw some of the correct rims on ebay recently, while looking for Araya 27 (Non aero) tubular rims for my latest project (More on that when I reach 10 posts AND figure out how to post photos).
Old 10-19-19, 10:11 AM
ScottRyder 
Photographer

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 98 Times in 53 Posts
The 1984 Aero Super Pro from my book "Japanese Steel: Classic Bicycle Design from Japan". This one is all original. Good section on Lotus in the book as well.

Cheers,

Scott

IG @scottryder.surf.cycle
IG @scottryder.fine.art

Likes For ScottRyder:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.