Search
Notices
Northeast Connecticut | Maine | Massachusetts | New Hampshire | New Jersey | New York |Rhode Island | Vermont |

5 Borough anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-08, 07:14 PM
henria86
Boosted Mr2

Bikes: Klein's Merlin's

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
hmm .. i got pics of Air on the Bridge ....

Old 05-05-08, 07:34 PM
grunzster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cc_rider
Sorry, grunzster. It was a nice day after all.

Felt better today, especially after the couple extra hours of sleep. Didn't leave Ridgewood until 8:10 (watched the start on TV). Drove down 17 and 4 and across the GW. Parked on Riverside around 140th and joined the tour at 125th (I knew where the toilets were ) at about 9:00.
Skipped the first two reststops to wait in middle of the "second start" crowd at Astoria.
Stopped at the next three reststops, loading up on oranges. Made it across the Verrazano and into the Festival by 11:50 (beat my last year's best of 12:02). Did a quick walk about to pick up some of the free stuff, and was headed to the ferry by 12:10. No wait for the ferry this year, but a 20 minute wait while the boat finished loading. And it was pretty cold in steerage. Was back in Manhattan a little after 1:00.

The ride back up to Riverside was fun. Zigzagged thru downtown, Chinatown, Lower East Side. Found several places I was looking for, and made a lunch stop at a little Japanese carryout I had heard about called Otafuku. I can't get okinomiyaki in DC, and what this little place makes is worth the trip.
Went over to Washington Square for a while, then picked up the tour route - up 6th and thru Central Park. Finished with Broadway and Riverside back to the car by 4:00.

Much better day than I expected. It was getting toasty near the end.
Ended up with 54 miles, but an average of only 11.6 mph.

Air - good to see you. Hope it wasn't too lonely out on that bridge.
And to think, I'm the one who started this thread, and then didn't even make it.

I wonder what missing a ride that only happens once a year, plus the fact that I may be moving too far away to do it again, plus the registration fee are worth in a law suit?
Old 05-06-08, 04:20 AM
mattyknacks

Bikes: 2008 Trek 520

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by henria86
hmm .. i got pics of Air on the Bridge ....

Hey guys, wassup?? I was on the lookout for Air on the bridge, but missed him. I must have blown right passed. I heard some people had to walk over the bridge. Whats up with that? The G/F and I rode over.

We started at 33 and 6 ave. Since it was her first time on a big ride, I wanted to avoid the walking start. She was so excited, she said she was doing it "RAIN OR SHINE" so we went. We stayed near the front all day, and even though I got a flat a block before entering Astoria Park, I was able to fix it and get on line before the 10:05 restart.

The high point of the tour was when I got to the top of the Verrazano and stopped to wait midspan for the G/F to catch up. Suprisingly, I only had to wait less then a minute for her to catch up, and while everyone was huffing and puffing on the way up, she had a big dopey grin on her face like she won the lottery. She was so excited about the whole ride, she was planning more rides as she was coasting down towards the festival.

As a side note: I finally lost enough weight to fit into a real bike jersey, so the G/F bought me the 2008 5-boro jersey. It is a little snug, but I am working on that.

Last edited by mattyknacks; 05-06-08 at 04:22 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 05-06-08, 06:26 AM
Saintly Loser

Bikes: Nothing special, but it works.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I did the ride. I've ridden with the same small group of friends for the last few years. All in all, a nice ride, as it always is. The day started off cool and damp, but I was peeling off layers by the halfway point Astoria Park. I managed to avoid the temptation to go home and take a nap at that point (I live just a few blocks from there).

Mostly the ride was well-organized and well-marshalled. The marshals and the police did a great job, by and large (although I missed the mace incident described above). I did see one injury that looked bad. A man was on a stretcher. Looked liked he'd taken a bad fall. I think I saw some blood on his head. The EMS people were there, so my friends and I didn't stop -- he was in much better hands. Anyone see this? In Queens, after the park somewhere, very fit-looking black man in cycling attire? Hope he's OK.

Also saw a young woman with what looked like a large and painful abrasion on her knee. She was walking around at Staten Island, so I don't think there was any underlying injury, but still, that must have hurt.

Otherwise, all was well. There were the usual overly aggressive riders. And too many people on fixed-gear bicycles without brakes. I saw one plow into the back of a group of riders at one of the bottlenecks. Nobody was hurt, but the fixie guy was a jerk. It's simply irresponsible to ride brakeless in a big group.
Old 05-06-08, 09:04 AM
gundersr

Bikes: Specialized Allez Elite Double

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Saintly Loser
I did the ride. I've ridden with the same small group of friends for the last few years. All in all, a nice ride, as it always is. The day started off cool and damp, but I was peeling off layers by the halfway point Astoria Park. I managed to avoid the temptation to go home and take a nap at that point (I live just a few blocks from there).

Mostly the ride was well-organized and well-marshalled. The marshals and the police did a great job, by and large (although I missed the mace incident described above). I did see one injury that looked bad. A man was on a stretcher. Looked liked he'd taken a bad fall. I think I saw some blood on his head. The EMS people were there, so my friends and I didn't stop -- he was in much better hands. Anyone see this? In Queens, after the park somewhere, very fit-looking black man in cycling attire? Hope he's OK.

Also saw a young woman with what looked like a large and painful abrasion on her knee. She was walking around at Staten Island, so I don't think there was any underlying injury, but still, that must have hurt.

Otherwise, all was well. There were the usual overly aggressive riders. And too many people on fixed-gear bicycles without brakes. I saw one plow into the back of a group of riders at one of the bottlenecks. Nobody was hurt, but the fixie guy was a jerk. It's simply irresponsible to ride brakeless in a big group.
I saw that accident in Queens. Looked really nasty. Also looked like the guy was unconscious. There was a second bicycle (a mountain) next to his, so I wonder if he was just going too fast and ran into someone who wasn't used to having to ride in a straight line.

Also +1 on some of those fixie riders. Not all - but some.
Old 05-06-08, 01:03 PM
jpbrew814

Bikes: litespeed classic/cannondale caad3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by derath
Hey I saw you! We got to walk up the Queensboro bridge! Along with the guy playing the radio.

I was wondering if there was some sort of hierarchy to the Rats, since some stood higher than others.

We were just to the right of you walking a tandem.

And yea it was too crowded.

-D
I'm not sure if I remember that, it might have been one of the other 10 people in our group haha. I was riding a titanium road bike, which I'm glad I decided to take instead of my aluminum Cannondale.
Old 05-06-08, 01:04 PM
jpbrew814

Bikes: litespeed classic/cannondale caad3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by OneSix
were you the ones with rat wearing a helmet on helmets?
Yes, that would be us.
Old 05-06-08, 03:49 PM
murbike

Bikes: 2007 Lemond Sarthe, 1998 Lemond Alpe d'Huez, 1993 Trek 990, several really old bikes and frames in various states of repair

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by grunzster
Someone please post that the weather was crap this morning, so I feel at least a little better.
I left Hartford, Ct at 6, and it was raining buckets. To the point where I almost turned around and back to bed.

The rain stopped by New Haven, though, and it really turned out to be a brilliant day for riding.

Too bad there were so many a55h0les out there. We abbreviated the ride due to several issues:

At the 30 mile rest, one of the marshals was saying that we may have to walk across the Verazanno Narrows bridge (2+ miles), the guys I was with were hung over, and we wanted to ride in Manhattan traffic, where it was safe. We bailed at the Brooklyn Bridge.

Even during our shortened ride, the number of bungholes was amazing. We've done BNY many times (~10), and can't remember it being this bad.

Overall, a good day.
Old 05-06-08, 04:29 PM
Saintly Loser

Bikes: Nothing special, but it works.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gundersr
Also +1 on some of those fixie riders. Not all - but some.
No, I didn't mean all. Just the ones without at least one brake.
Old 05-07-08, 08:30 AM
Ya Tu Sabes
Rebel Thousandaire

Bikes: Public D8, Yuba Mundo (cargo), Novara Buzz (1-speed, soon to be 2-speed w/ a kickback hub), Xootr 1-speed folder

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My friend Will and I came down from Hartford, Conn., the previous day by riding our bikes 24 miles to Waterbury, Conn., and taking Metro-North from there. (We stayed with friends in Brooklyn.) We met up with other Hartford peoples on Sunday morning, and our experiences are exhaustively documented and photographed at our Hartford biking blog: beatbikeblog.blogspot.com. Check it out!
Old 05-07-08, 04:52 PM
startxitxover
won't give up the cheapo!

Bikes: schwinn ranger (women's) that i've upgraded the tire, seat, rack, attempting the grips (doesn't seem like it would be that hard right...)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
hey cool blog!
Old 05-09-08, 12:06 PM
Air
Destroyer of Wheels

Bikes: Surly LHT, Dahon folding bike. RIP Nishiki Sport, Downtube IXNS, 1950's MMB3 Russian Folding Bike, MTB

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Great shot Henri!!

Matty - how did I miss ya?! Great seeing jyossarian, cc_rider, and Henri - thanks for saying hi!

Had a great day, some bottlenecks (on the BQE I gave a hi-5 to a cabbie who was stuck in traffic going the other way - way too funny) but just gave me the opportunity to talk and get to know some riders here and there. Met a few that live in my hood too!

I was camped out a little past the midspan. No accidents in my area - very happy about that

For those of you who saw the guy down on the uphill here's the story as I understand it and read about it in various outlets. He had a heart attack, fell, and then got run over by a few other bicyclists. His friend was able to give CPR, the bike medics revived and stabilized him (he was clinically dead), got him to the hospital where he was breathing and talking on his own. So as far as I know he'll be fine - whew!

Also thanks to all riders who listen to the marshals - there were a few times that I needed to clear a lane for emergency vehicles coming up and people moved over very quickly, was great to see everyone paying attention and pitching together.

Something I noticed this year - seems like a lot of people got a later start, probably because of the rain. The way the crowd worked this time was much heavier towards the end of the ride than at the beginning which made for some longer bottlenecks in certain areas. As long as you approach this as a fun day and not a speed ride it's a great event.

It's the year of the enema!
Old 05-10-08, 05:16 PM
FrankieV

Bikes: 2010 Specialized Roubaix Expert, 2007 Specialized Sequoia Elte

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Air
Great shot Henri!!

Matty - how did I miss ya?! Great seeing jyossarian, cc_rider, and Henri - thanks for saying hi!

Had a great day, some bottlenecks (on the BQE I gave a hi-5 to a cabbie who was stuck in traffic going the other way - way too funny) but just gave me the opportunity to talk and get to know some riders here and there. Met a few that live in my hood too!

I was camped out a little past the midspan. No accidents in my area - very happy about that

Hey Air...I remember seeing you on the bridge.
I waved to you just cause you were a marshall and had a tremendous smile on your face.
But didn't know who you were. I was one of the front-riding marshals this year.
A little scary keeping the pace especially on the wet roads but it was a great experience.
Old 05-11-08, 10:17 PM
Air
Destroyer of Wheels

Bikes: Surly LHT, Dahon folding bike. RIP Nishiki Sport, Downtube IXNS, 1950's MMB3 Russian Folding Bike, MTB

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Oh yeah - I remember (second from the left?) that front line, thought it seemed thinner than in last years. I kept warning people about the slippery road coming down the hill, I shuddered just thinking about it!

It's the year of the enema!