Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Would I be a Commuter Poseur if...

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-08, 02:37 PM
bab2000

Bikes: riders:Schwinn Continental ('80), Specialized Crossroads Sport ('07), Schwinn Super Sport (73), Schwinn Superior (76), Projects: Schwinn Sprint ('74), Trek 800 & Schwinn Continental ('71)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I would love to commute to work.

My problem is the my office is at home when not traveling across the Midwest for work assigned projects.

Yesterday morning on early ride, I was wondering this very question, why not get up and ride to my home office and then repeat in the evening.

But... what should I carry, what should I wear, to qualify as a Bike Commuter, and then what distance should I ride to also qualify as a commuting event.

I must admit that I am envious and admire those that do commute daily. In my work I have always required a car for customer service visits, transporting parts and be able to be responsive with a multi-state customer base. Yet today, my work is mostly communications, laptop, teleconference and on the road investigations and project kick offs.

So, if I did do the morning wake up and evening home decompress rides, would I qualify as a Commuter or just a C.Posseur?
Old 06-02-08, 02:39 PM
huhenio
Barbieri Telefonico

Bikes: Crappy but operational secondhand Motobecane Messenger

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Hmmm ....

1 - Distance

2 - Potential routes

3 - Dress Code

4 - Work Implements
Old 06-02-08, 02:50 PM
sean000

Bikes: Rivendell Atlantis, Kogswell P58, 1988 Pinarello, Rivendell Wilbury (my wife's bike)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Dude... you are so fortunate. I realize that there are some disadvantages to working from home... but having worked from home and from an office... I'd much rather work from home.

So why would you like to fake a commuter ride? Most bicycle commutes are not along routes many cyclists would choose for fun (although my current one is!). Many bicycle commutes involve riding in and around rush-hour traffic, on a utilitarian bike laden with bags carrying clothes, laptop, etc. It's often colder in the morning, and all the drivers are barely paying attention. Here is what used to work for me on the days I worked from home:

1.Wake up early... if you're like me you get more done early morning than late afternoon. Work hard until about 10 or 11 am.

2. When you find yourself getting sick of work (which for me is usually a few hours or so into it), go for a one or two hour bike ride. Since you don't have to get to a specific destination, ride some place nice.

3. Have a nice lunch.

4. Work the second half of your day. The bike ride should have recharged your batteries a little.

5. Stop work at a set time... like 5 or 6 pm and think about all the poor saps out there who are battling rush hour from their car, bicycle, bus, etc.

If you are still really itching for that commuter experience, just throw some fenders and a rack on any old bike and take it grocery shopping. That's what commuting is often all about anyway... getting to and from work while running those regular errands.

Last edited by sean000; 06-02-08 at 02:55 PM.
Old 06-02-08, 02:59 PM
RazorWind

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't get it. You work at home and want to commute by bike? Is your house really that big?
Old 06-02-08, 03:07 PM
alpinist

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro 26, Novara Strada, Novara Forza

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Am I equally as strange? I ride 5 miles to work and arrive at 7:30am, and I get off at 4:00pm and ride 5 miles home. Upon getting home, I change from my spandex and bike shoes into my running shorts, and go RUN 3-10 miles. On the days I don't run, I take the long ride home. That's once or sometimes twice a week. On the weekends, I either do long runs or long rides, or head for the mountains and go climbing or snowshoeing - depending on the weather, time of year, etc...

One day a week I rest. Drive to work, don't run, don't ride, just rest.
Old 06-02-08, 03:16 PM
bab2000

Bikes: riders:Schwinn Continental ('80), Specialized Crossroads Sport ('07), Schwinn Super Sport (73), Schwinn Superior (76), Projects: Schwinn Sprint ('74), Trek 800 & Schwinn Continental ('71)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RazorWind
Is your house really that big?
No, and actually, desk and computers are not even 20 feet from master bedroom.

As "sean000" indicated there can be challenges to working from home, one is really long hours, as I am early riser, and on EDT, most support groups are CDT, and some are also early starters, and the MDT groupies are accustom to schedule meetings later in their day, so once i start, it is next to impossible to get away from the electronics required to function.

My thought was to use the bike ride, as commute of sorts. Not reachable, no blackberry, only cell phone. And then a second schedule evening ride to close the day. Provides a good hour or so of not being in touch.

I questions originally to be in jest, and out of respect to those that do COMMUTE daily or frequently, would you mind a posseur amongst you?

My routes near home have the same hazards, less in the later evenings.

There maybe others like me that visit the board and are also home office workers, needing a excuse to control their time, and add some fitness to the daily activities.
Old 06-02-08, 03:24 PM
huhenio
Barbieri Telefonico

Bikes: Crappy but operational secondhand Motobecane Messenger

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Now I get it.

Just go, go, go ... and get me a bagel while you are at it
Old 06-02-08, 03:48 PM
mochapants

Bikes: Surly LHT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I say embrace the Poseur within. I think DIY everything would be ideal. Racks, panniers, lights, big reflectors, etc. Cut off jeans, black dress socks and a white t-shirt for your kit.

Best thing is you get to choose the best route, and if you don't like it, change it. Live the fantasy...
Old 06-02-08, 04:23 PM
pinkrobe
DNPAIMFB

Bikes: Titus El Guapo, Misfit diSSent, Cervelo Soloist Carbon, Wabi Lightning, et al.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Definitely get out there annd do some posing. If I had your problem, I would do a coffee run and then create a pump track around the circumference of my yard.
Old 06-02-08, 04:27 PM
RubenX 
Look! My Spine!

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
1) Get up in the morning, ride your bike to store.
2) Eat bagel at store.
3) Ride back home.

Repeat in the afternoon. You would be a commuter in my book.
Old 06-02-08, 06:09 PM
Psydotek
Body By Nintendo

Location: Videogames ruined my life. Good thing i have 2 extra lives.

Bikes: Giant TCR2, Giant TCX, IRO BFSSFG SE, Salsa Casseroll, IRO Rob Roy.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
While you're at it, find some roadies to drop while you're out there.

Originally Posted by jsharr
A girl once asked me to give her twelve inches and make it hurt. I had to make love to her 3 times and then punch her in the nose.
Old 06-02-08, 06:24 PM
Ya Tu Sabes
Rebel Thousandaire

Bikes: Public D8, Yuba Mundo (cargo), Novara Buzz (1-speed, soon to be 2-speed w/ a kickback hub), Xootr 1-speed folder

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You clearly need to get a folder to carry with you on your car trips, so you can park ten miles from your destination and ride the rest of the way. Seriously. That would be neat.
Old 06-02-08, 06:49 PM
chipcom 
Infamous Member

Bikes: Surly Big Dummy, Fuji World, 80ish Bianchi

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Dude, just ride your bike when you feel like it, have fun and quit over-thinking and complicating it. If you really want to feel like a commuter, take that ride when you DON'T feel like it and during the crappy weather.
"Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey
Old 06-02-08, 06:51 PM
lil brown bat

Bikes: 1 road, 1 Urban Assault Vehicle

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I work from home two days a week. On those days, I get up in the morning, get on my bike unencumbered by luggage, and...go for a bike ride. I wouldn't call it commuting, but why the need to?
Old 06-02-08, 06:52 PM
rugerben

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Since you don't go anywhere, i know what you need..... a stationary bike!!!!

but load the stationary bike with rack, panniers, etc...

Edit to add:

I would love to see a bike with rack, and loaded panniers on a trainer. That would be a really funny image.
Old 06-02-08, 06:53 PM
georgiaboy
Retro-nerd

Bikes: 1991 Serotta Colorado II, 1986 Vitus 979, 1971 Juene Classic, 2008 Surly Crosscheck, 1956 Riva Sport

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 39 Posts
Poseur, you say?

You and I are the same except, I commute to work and become the poseur once I get there.
Old 06-02-08, 06:57 PM
Artkansas 
Pedaled too far.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by bab2000
So, if I did do the morning wake up and evening home decompress rides, would I qualify as a Commuter or just a C.Posseur?
Well, a morning and evening rides wouldn't make you a commuter, though you'd have fun. However, I think a unicycle ride between the bedroom and your work room would qualify you.

Originally Posted by Bjforrestal
I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.
Old 06-02-08, 09:23 PM
ax0n
Trans-Urban Velocommando

Bikes: 06 Trek 1200 - 98 DB Outlook - 99 DB Sorrento

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mochapants
I say embrace the Poseur within. I think DIY everything would be ideal. Racks, panniers, lights, big reflectors, etc. Cut off jeans, black dress socks and a white t-shirt for your kit.
Hey now, are you on my team? I think we've got the same kit, all the way down to black socks that go from clipless shoes to office shoes when I get in.
Old 06-02-08, 09:30 PM
chephy
Two H's!!! TWO!!!!!

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Artkansas
Well, a morning and evening rides wouldn't make you a commuter, though you'd have fun.
Why not? Isn't a "commute" defined as going from your home to your office and from your office to your home? Technically, the OP would qualify.
Old 06-02-08, 09:58 PM
nashcommguy
nashcommguy

Bikes: Commuters: Fuji Delray road, Fuji Discovery mtb...Touring: Softride Traveler...Road: C-dale SR300

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bab2000
No, and actually, desk and computers are not even 20 feet from master bedroom.

As "sean000" indicated there can be challenges to working from home, one is really long hours, as I am early riser, and on EDT, most support groups are CDT, and some are also early starters, and the MDT groupies are accustom to schedule meetings later in their day, so once i start, it is next to impossible to get away from the electronics required to function.

My thought was to use the bike ride, as commute of sorts. Not reachable, no blackberry, only cell phone. And then a second schedule evening ride to close the day. Provides a good hour or so of not being in touch.

I questions originally to be in jest, and out of respect to those that do COMMUTE daily or frequently, would you mind a posseur amongst you?

My routes near home have the same hazards, less in the later evenings.

There maybe others like me that visit the board and are also home office workers, needing a excuse to control their time, and add some fitness to the daily activities.
As long as you wear the appropriate 'Fred' gear I think we're big enough to give you a pass and NOT refer to you as a poseur. My commute's about an hour+ each way, so you're good there. Don't wuss out on rain days, practice railing against the glut of insensitive, cell phone talking, suv driving cagers and you'll have the full 'commuter experience'. Full length tube socks w/Dockers, an 'old school' Bell Helmet and safety vest, oxford sneakers and a flag pole are requistes, too. Padded lycra shorts are optional, but you must have an old steelframe w/a Brooks saddle and full fenders. Seriously, just enjoy your rides and count your blessing in being able to work at home.
Old 06-02-08, 10:09 PM
Artkansas 
Pedaled too far.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by chephy
Why not? Isn't a "commute" defined as going from your home to your office and from your office to your home? Technically, the OP would qualify.
But he's no closer to the office after leaving home or vice versa. Still in the garage.

That's where the unicycle from bedroom to work room and back fills the bill.

Originally Posted by Bjforrestal
I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.
Old 06-02-08, 10:56 PM
J B Bell

Bikes: 2007 ICE Trice T; 2008 Brompton M6L; 2009 Surly LHT; 2010 Surly Cross Check

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Commuting is part of (I'd say) the more broadly defined "utility cycling." So if you want to be all authentic and stuff, consider getting an Xtracycle or equivalent and help someone move. Doesn't get much more straight-up real than that.
Old 06-03-08, 05:06 AM
Lamplight

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by chipcom
If you really want to feel like a commuter, take that ride when you DON'T feel like it and during the crappy weather.
I think that is key. You look out the window and it's 34 degrees and pouring rain, and you groan and think "I am NOT driving today." Pack some extra clothes, put on the rain coat, ride a few miles in the crap and then wind up at work, which is of course where you started from.
Old 06-03-08, 07:09 AM
newbojeff
Commuter First

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Tuesdays I work from home. On Tuesday mornings, I get up early and go on a group ride unladen. I bet in Fort Wayne there is some group of cyclists that ride at 5 or 6 am every day. Find 'em.

Commuter? Roadie? Poseur?

You are on two wheels under your own power. Same team.
Old 06-03-08, 07:19 AM
Elyone
ETPHONEHOME

Bikes: Diamondback Outlook low end. but I love it.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I love these threads and I love commuters. This is the best forum of all.
I lack time to ride so I commute in ORDER to ride. Other than my backpack, I now even look like a cyclist. (Uh oh, did I say look like a cyclist ) I got shorts, a road like bike (Jake). I still use cotton shirts though.
To the OP, if it make you feel better, ride in the morning before work To 'qualify' as a 'commuter' all you need to do is say 'I am a commuter' and POOF, you are one.
We are an easy bunch...
You can wear anything, ride anything, and STILL qualify.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.