Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Want to buy a 2nd set of wheels with road tires which one?

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-09, 07:10 PM
alphaqforever24

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

currently have this WTB SpeedDisc Double Wall Aluminum rims on my motobecane fantom trail.

i bought some specialized fat boy road tires as well. but looking to buy another set of wheels cause i dont want to keep switchin tires. what is a decent light weight wheel to put my road tires onto?
Old 06-07-09, 08:14 PM
DirtPedalerB
unofficial roadie

Bikes: 2004 Marin bobcat trail, 2006 trek fuel ex7, 2007 iron horse road bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
dude ... is the bike even assembled?
Old 06-07-09, 08:29 PM
alphaqforever24

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DirtPedalerB
dude ... is the bike even assembled?
haha no i dont even have it yet i guess im getting ahead of my self. juss excited i guess. first bike since my childhood huffy sports bike.
Old 06-07-09, 09:13 PM
Spawne32
Banned

Bikes: 2008 18" Olpran Patriot

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i hope you have money, because although its an easy setup, its gona be expensive, if you wanna make it interchangeable on the fly your gona need a cassette and disc attached to the rear wheel so you can just swap them out on the go without having to disassemble everything to change wheels. The front wheel will only require a disc.
Old 06-07-09, 09:17 PM
Dannihilator
Still kicking.

Bikes: Bike Count: Rising.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 32 Posts
https://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...+Wheelset.aspx
Old 06-11-09, 01:06 AM
alphaqforever24

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
got my bike in a on monday put 25 miles of road riding already. will be hitting up the trails on the weekend. have a few questions. imma a hella noob when it comes to bikes so please bare with me. What is the difference between road bike gears and mtn bike gears? is it possible to have road bike type gears on a mountain bike? I havnt put on my slick tires on my bike yet. been thinking about getting another set of wheels for them. but i will need to buy another cassette and rotor for my rear wheel and a rotor for my front wheel? i dunno how road gears are but does the cassette have a big play? I dont understand the whole cassette lingo like 11-32T what does all that mean? if so can i juss replace the cassette and juss leave my current set up to be more road gear like or do i need to change a whole buch of other stuff?

https://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...om_trail08.htm

Last edited by alphaqforever24; 06-11-09 at 01:11 AM.
Old 06-11-09, 06:57 PM
green814
Sneaky Fast....

Bikes: 2007 Specialized Epic Expert, 2005 Giant TCR C3, 1996 Specialized Stumpjumper M2Comp, 1986 Raleigh Capri 10spd, 1982 KHS Turbo 12spd, Wife's: 2010 Specialized Safire Comp Komen, 2007 Specialized Dolce Elite, 2005 Giant OCR3, 2000 Trek 6000 WSD

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
11-32, 11-34, 12-32,etc....

Means that the "Fast gear" is an 11 (or 12) teeth gear and your Hill climbing gear, "Granny", is 32 (or 34) teeth.

IF you put a different size cassette on, you will need a different length chain most likely. I would try to keep it the same for that reason.

If you haven't bought the wheelsat yet, why not try to get a little better set for the trail (lighter, stronger) and use the stock set for the road, just a thought!

Chris
Old 06-11-09, 07:03 PM
santiago

Bikes: 2005 Kona Blast; 2005 Turner Flux, 2006 Felt F3C

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you choose to get new wheels and they are not exactly the same as the ones that came with your bike, you will likely have to adjust your calipers whenever you swap wheels. Although different hubs should be more or less the same, the face that the discs sit on may be off by a millimeter or two and that's enough for the disc to be out of alignment with the caliper.