Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Entry level Road Bike - First purchase advice

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-15, 09:49 AM
tomarie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey everyone,

I am looking to buy my first Road bike In order to adapt gradually into Dualthlon and afterwards Triathlon.
For the past couple of months I have been running 6-7 times per week in order to Achieve a Sub 37 for 10Km. That being said we have great road routes around the Village I live at so I am willing to add 2 Cycling workouts on top of what I mentioned.

My height is 6.0" and I weigh around 148 pounds.
My budget for the bike would be max 1300$. In addition, I live in Israel so prices may probably be more expensive here than in the US.

I am far from knowing exactly what to look for so any guidance will be highly appreciated,

Thanks!
Tom
Old 07-20-15, 10:52 AM
TheRef

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 8 Posts
What brands do you have acces to? Are you planning to buy locally or online?
I'd suggest and you find what's available to you first and then come back to use for suggestions.
Old 07-20-15, 01:24 PM
Inpd

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 401 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tomarie
Hey everyone,

I am looking to buy my first Road bike In order to adapt gradually into Dualthlon and afterwards Triathlon.
For the past couple of months I have been running 6-7 times per week in order to Achieve a Sub 37 for 10Km. That being said we have great road routes around the Village I live at so I am willing to add 2 Cycling workouts on top of what I mentioned.

My budget for the bike would be max 1300$. In addition, I live in Israel so prices may probably be more expensive here than in the US.

I am far from knowing exactly what to look for so any guidance will be highly appreciated,

Thanks!
Tom
Please search the forum. This question gets asked at least a few times a week but with different upper limits. Typically $400, $750, $1000 and $1500!
Old 07-20-15, 01:28 PM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
You may want to pop into the triathlon forum here: Triathlon

You may want a dedicated time trial bike if you're going to be using it predominantly for tris, but for some reason they seem to be ferociously expensive. A more utilitarian option would be to outfit a regular road bike with clip on aerobars.
Old 07-20-15, 02:30 PM
tomarie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Pretty much every brand out there exists in Israel.
I am planning on buying them locally since prices can soar drastically due to taxes if I prefer on buying online.
Old 07-20-15, 02:34 PM
tomarie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse

You may want a dedicated time trial bike if you're going to be using it predominantly for tris, but for some reason they seem to be ferociously expensive. A more utilitarian option would be to outfit a regular road bike with clip on aerobars.
The second option will likely be the best one for me for 2 reasons:

1. Road cycling as a recreational activity along with Duathlon in the future.
2. Prices are so much different when you want to buy a TT setup.
Old 07-20-15, 02:49 PM
McBTC

Bikes: 2015 22 Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1543 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 39 Posts
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse

Yes, for example:

Attached Images
Old 07-20-15, 07:13 PM
jrossbeck

Bikes: '14 Trek Madone 2.1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey everyone,

Thanks!
Tom
First of, if you are getting close to that sub 37 - many congrats on your hard work. That is good speed.

if I were you, I'd try to see if there are any triathlon clubs you could get in touch with, someone should have good advice, and may know someone with a used bike which could give great value.
Old 07-22-15, 06:23 AM
tomarie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jrossbeck
First of, if you are getting close to that sub 37 - many congrats on your hard work. That is good speed.

if I were you, I'd try to see if there are any triathlon clubs you could get in touch with, someone should have good advice, and may know someone with a used bike which could give great value.
Thanks a lot! , Recently started my speed workouts, mostly Tempo runs for now 5/6Km @ 3:43Min/Km so I am getting there

---

After reading a lot about the differences between leisure (general road cycling) and Triathlon, I definitely tend to stick to Regular structure road bike for some time.

I would like to share with you some bikes which turned out to be relevant for me:

New Bikes:

[TABLE="class: body bodyItem bodyByCatID1252 bodyByItemID5695, width: 658"]
[TR]
[TD="class: PageTitle PageItemTitle PageArticleTitle"]MERIDA RIDE 94 Lampre

[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

MERIDA SCULTURA 400 2015

Trek 1.5

Some other suggestions in that kind of price range. the above models cost up to 1100$ ( converted from Israeli Shekels ).

Used bike:

Colnago CLX 2010 Frame with 105 Shimano system. All I know is its in a super good condition.

Last edited by tomarie; 07-24-15 at 02:48 AM.
Old 07-23-15, 10:06 PM
shoesquest

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
yellow jackets down my jersey, $1300!? That's A LOT of bike sir. Although I do see they cost more where you live. I bought my first one used after 1 month of negotiations in the darkness of winter. $550 full 105. That was when the bike companies were pushing aluminum frames with aluminum forks, ouch!

Why not buy used or even a new one with Tiagra? And then spend your money and stress on aftermarket saddles, shoes, stems, pedals, cogs, chain rings, shorts, bibs, glasses, wheels, tools, shoes, saddles, and travel. And shoes and saddles. Just sayin.
Old 07-24-15, 02:06 AM
Jeremy_S

Bikes: 15 Fuji Altamira 2.0

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Congrats on cutting that time down. I used to be a fairly fast runner until a knee injury I didn't have fixed soon enough ended my running and made me take up road cycling.

You can probably pick up a pretty decent ride for 1300 bucks though if you shop around, not sure of the isreali exchange rates as it is one of the few countries in that region I haven't visited and also the only one I really wanted to see haha. Too bad you're not in the states, I could put you on a full carbon full 105 5800 bike for less than that. I'm thinking about buying a Cervelo R3 so I need to get rid of something.
Old 07-24-15, 02:56 AM
tomarie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Lol seems like my best chances of getting something decent is by coming over to the states with a rare privilege for a cheap flight ticket cause my aunt works for Delta.
Couple of days ago I missed a 2nd hand sale for a Felt Z5 for 1250$ which is a fair deal in comparison to the others I found.
Old 07-24-15, 03:00 AM
tomarie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by shoesquest
yellow jackets down my jersey, $1300!? That's A LOT of bike sir. Although I do see they cost more where you live. I bought my first one used after 1 month of negotiations in the darkness of winter. $550 full 105. That was when the bike companies were pushing aluminum frames with aluminum forks, ouch!

Why not buy used or even a new one with Tiagra? And then spend your money and stress on aftermarket saddles, shoes, stems, pedals, cogs, chain rings, shorts, bibs, glasses, wheels, tools, shoes, saddles, and travel. And shoes and saddles. Just sayin.
I can definitely put my hand on one of the Entry Trek bikes, however, They are fairly expensive for what they offer - at least that's what I head of.. Under my budget, Here in Israel, I can only pick between 1-3 of the their cheapest new models.