Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Southeast
Reload this Page >

Best route from Asheville Country Inn & Suites to BRP

Search
Notices
Southeast Alabama | Arkansas | Florida | Georgia | Kentucky | Louisiana | Mississippi | North Carolina | South Carolina | Tennessee | Virginia

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-16, 10:46 AM
Tesgin

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Hey there. I'm driving down to the beautiful state of NC next week to explore the Blue Ridge Parkway. We're staying at the Country Inn & Suites in Asheville on Tunnel Rd (199 Tunnel Rd, Asheville, NC).

I'm not at all familiar with the area and would really appreciate some advice as to the best route in terms of traffic, to get to the BRP from our hotel?

When I map it out on RWGPS, one route takes me up Town Mountain Rd, which eventually connects with the BRP. Another route just has me take Tunnel Rd east for a few miles until I hit the BRP.

I'm wanting to avoid traffic if it's "heavy" traffic (I'm actually pretty comfortable in mild to moderate traffic -- just want to be safe), but I also want SCENIC.

Not a big deal; it's only a few miles, but I thought I'd check.

Thanks in advance,
Tesgin
Old 09-13-16, 08:45 PM
goplutus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This might be a bit late, but the Town Mountain route up is a good approach. There's a steep kicker at the beginning that turns into a more gradual climb higher up with some good views. It terminates at the Blue Ride Parkway, right goes down the mountain, left to go up higher. The route down has a few marked scenic overlooks with pull offs so you aren't on the road if you care to stop during the descent. You'll likely be going roughly the speed of traffic or faster on the way down.