Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

SPDs on a road bike?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

SPDs on a road bike?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-18, 01:21 PM
Robert A

Bikes: 2019 CAAD12, 2015 Specialized Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 562 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 46 Posts
SPDs on a road bike?

I am migrating from a hybrid to a road bike and am curious about using SPD cleats on the new bike. I enjoy being able to walk in my shoes and wonder if (and how much) I give up by using SPDs instead of traditional road cleats.

Thanks,
Robert
Old 08-30-18, 01:25 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
I used them for a while as an easier start to clipless. It didn't seem like the SPD-SL shoes gave me any real improvement when I went to Look pedals, but I was doing shorter rides with the SPDs than I do now. You wouldn't be even close to the only person running SPDs on a road bike.
Old 08-30-18, 01:30 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,465 Times in 1,433 Posts
SPDs are fantastic. They are all I use. There is a slight chance your cleat will come out if you pull up hard, as in a sprint in a race, but really, how often do you do that? Some roadies and trackies use SPDs, though not commonly. I don't know why they're thought of as for mountain bikes only. They work in so many situations. And there are so many pedal and shoe styles to choose from.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 08-30-18, 01:39 PM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 395 Posts
I've retired my road pedals and flat soled shoes. They give me zero advantages . Nothing but SPD's. There's plenty of road type SPD shoes out there if you don't like MTB shoes.

Shimano RT5's.

Old 08-30-18, 01:40 PM
tagaproject6

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 145 Posts
I use SPD on all my bikes. 0 issues. The non-SPD road shoes that I own are equipped with Shimano SH-41 adaptors.
Old 08-30-18, 01:46 PM
HTupolev

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1974 Post(s)
Liked 1,298 Times in 630 Posts
Originally Posted by Robert A
I am migrating from a hybrid to a road bike and am curious about using SPD cleats on the new bike. I enjoy being able to walk in my shoes and wonder if (and how much) I give up by using SPDs instead of traditional road cleats.
I typically run SPD-SL instead of SPD on my pavement-only road bikes, but that's mostly just because I prefer the way they feel. Actual performance differences between clipless interfaces are marginal.

Plenty of people ride road on SPDs just fine. Do what's convenient for you.
Old 08-30-18, 01:53 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,473 Times in 1,834 Posts
I have SPDs on two road bikes ... they haven't hurt or tried to kill me yet.

They are especially useful when I plan to walk between rides. I have regular road shoes with SPDs and also shoes with recessed cleats ... I can walk on wooden floors safely.
Old 08-30-18, 01:54 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
SPD, because I like to be able to walk. I ride to my wife's workplace and have lunch a few times a month. Try that with road shoes.
Old 08-30-18, 01:54 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,473 Times in 1,834 Posts
But ... you had best check with the fashion-nazis. I am not sure it is considered acceptable in their circles.
Old 08-30-18, 02:35 PM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Quoted: 10963 Post(s)
Liked 4,620 Times in 2,123 Posts
My wife and I went to SPDs after we went on a tandem tour in New Mexico. We went through two sets of cleats apiece that week from walking in the desert at stops. As recently retired racers, we grudgingly gave up our road shoes and Look pedals and we haven't looked back.

Old 08-30-18, 02:50 PM
OBoile

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1027 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 204 Posts
As someone who commutes regularly, I use SPD on all my bikes. That way, they're compatible with my commuter shoes. I also have a pair of road specific SPD shoes for my more serious rides. Seems to work just fine for me.
Old 08-30-18, 03:12 PM
Stormsedge

Bikes: 2017 Trek Domane SL6 Disc, 1990 Schwinn Crosscut Frankenroadbike, 2015 KHS Team 29 FS, 2000 Gary Fisher Tassajara--gone but not forgotten

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 30 Posts
SPD. I have the others and three pair of shoes, but they've proven scary to walk on.
Old 08-30-18, 03:17 PM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 873 Post(s)
Liked 726 Times in 436 Posts
I use SPDs and have no problems with them, but am thinking about getting a pedal-based power meter. AFAIK, none of those power meters support SPD. That's the only downside that I can think of for using SPDs.
Old 08-30-18, 03:26 PM
kcblair
Old Legs

Bikes: '80 Strayvaigin, '84 Ciocc Aelle-Shimano 105, '90 Concorde Astore /Campy Triple ,85 Bridgestone 500/Suntour, 2005 Jamis Quest, 2017 Raleigh Merit 1, Raleigh Carbon Clubman

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 302 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by tagaproject6
I use SPD on all my bikes. 0 issues. The non-SPD road shoes that I own are equipped with Shimano SH-41 adaptors.
Now , that's a kool idea. I have 2 pair of SPD pedals lying around, that I could put into service. Thanks for the tip. KB.
Old 08-30-18, 03:29 PM
Robert A

Thanks, all. My current SPDs seem to have quite a bit of float. Could be the worn cleats, or the particular shoes I'm using. If I go to road cleats, do I get a tighter connection to the pedal, and does it make much difference in climbs?
Old 08-30-18, 03:31 PM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 5345 Post(s)
Liked 2,169 Times in 1,288 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
SPDs are fantastic. They are all I use. There is a slight chance your cleat will come out if you pull up hard, as in a sprint in a race, but really, how often do you do that? Some roadies and trackies use SPDs, though not commonly. I don't know why they're thought of as for mountain bikes only. They work in so many situations. And there are so many pedal and shoe styles to choose from.
Yes, they will pull out even with new pedal/cleats with max spring force set. And they will come out at the worst time like a sprint
Because of this experience I switched from Shimano SPD to Time ATAC. The ATACs do not pull out and are even easier to clip in. Downside is the cleat lifetime is a bit shorter.
Old 08-30-18, 03:32 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18373 Post(s)
Liked 4,508 Times in 3,351 Posts
SPD's here.

It is much easier to standardize across all bikes.

One thing that I've noticed, however, is that not all shoes have the same stiffness. Hard to find the perfect shoe. The more flexible shoes are more comfortable for walking, but least comfortable for those 100+ mile rides.
Old 08-30-18, 03:50 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,465 Times in 1,433 Posts
I've had them come out when I was in a panic stop, and for me, this is a feature, not a bug. I don't pull up that hard when pedaling. So it depends on your style and your strength.

Certainly the stiffness of shoes varies. That's kind of the point. You get the shoes you want. Cleats don't determine shoe stiffness. I have a pair of SPD shoes that are actually running shoes with an SPD sole. As you can guess, they didn't work out so well. I also have some mountain racing shoes (by Specialized) that are super stiff, and I don't mind walking in them at all. It's like walking in clogs, I guess. Not everyone will like them, but I've hiked in the woods in them and worn them all day over all kinds of terrain.

You can get SPD sandals! Shop around, and you'll be amazed at the variety of shoes available.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 08-30-18, 03:50 PM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 5345 Post(s)
Liked 2,169 Times in 1,288 Posts
I use Shimano SH-RT82 shoes with recessed cleat. The RT stands for Road Touring. .
Old 08-30-18, 04:27 PM
jimincalif

Bikes: '96 Trek 850, '08 Specialized Roubaix Comp, '18 Niner RLT RDO

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 83 Posts
Just put SPDs on my gravel/road bike a couple months ago, I have SPD-SLs on my road bike. The SPD cleats themselves seem fine, I occasionally pull up some but I've never accidentally unclipped. They have a bit more float than even the yellow SL cleats, but it's not a problem. The foot does pivot differently, it rotates over the cleat and center of the pedal rather than the SLs which are locked in place at the front and all the float is on the back of the cleat/pedal. Lots of my fellow club members use SPD on their road bikes.

The SPDs are on Sidi Dominator shoes, I'm not real pleased with the shoes. Seemed comfortable enough at first, but I start noticing occasional hotspots as I approach 40 miles. Between 50-55 miles they are pretty uncomfortable. Feels like they are not stiff enough to spread the pedal force from the small pedal/cleat, also get pain on the side of my foot. They are sized properly as far as I can tell. My 5 year old Giro Apeckx road shoes with the SLs are supremely comfortable, at least for 125 miles, which is as far as I've taken them in a day.
Old 08-30-18, 04:30 PM
HTupolev

Thanks, all. My current SPDs seem to have quite a bit of float. Could be the worn cleats, or the particular shoes I'm using. If I go to road cleats, do I get a tighter connection to the pedal, and does it make much difference in climbs?
In the context of clipless pedal systems, "float" usually refers to the amount that the pedal system allows your foot to rotate freely on the pedal. This is often adjustable. For instance, SPD-SL yellow cleats allow 6 degrees of float, and the rotation pivots about the center of the cleat; the blue cleats allow 2 degrees of float, with the rotation pivoting about the front of the cleat; and the red cleats are zero-float, the shoe cannot rotate on the pedal at all.
This is largely a matter of bike fit. Most SPD-SL pedals come with the high-float yellow cleats, but if you need to force your foot to stay within a smaller range of angular motion on the pedals, the blue or red cleats are useful.
SPD mountain pedals don't have float options.

If you're referring to the system feeling squishy when you pull up, road cleats do generally have less vertical play than SPDs do.
This is because SPDs are just a retention mechanism that holds the shoe against the pedal. The shoe still pedals the pedal with its sole, and to accommodate different shoe shapes, the mechanism needs some vertical play.
With a road system, the shoe isn't supposed to contact the pedal. The cleat itself transfers pedaling to the pedal, and it sits in a very vertically-precise fit within the pedal.
As far as whether it makes a big difference on climbs... I'm not sure what climbing versus not climbing has to do with it. If you pull up on the pedal, the difference can be felt, although I doubt there's much consequence from a performance standpoint.
Old 08-30-18, 04:33 PM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts

Thanks,
Robert
You "give up" nothing. SPD's are the best clipless pedals, even on road bikes.
Old 08-30-18, 04:55 PM
Robert A

Thanks for your post. My question was really about power transfer.

Also, I was referring to lateral float - side to side heel movement. The soles of my shoes are also very flexible. The pedals on my hybrid are Shimano T780s (flat on one side). If I continue with SPDs on the road bike, I'd seek a higher-end, lighter pedal and maybe replace the shoes with something stiffer.

Originally Posted by HTupolev
In the context of clipless pedal systems, "float" usually refers to the amount that the pedal system allows your foot to rotate freely on the pedal. This is often adjustable. For instance, SPD-SL yellow cleats allow 6 degrees of float, and the rotation pivots about the center of the cleat; the blue cleats allow 2 degrees of float, with the rotation pivoting about the front of the cleat; and the red cleats are zero-float, the shoe cannot rotate on the pedal at all.
This is largely a matter of bike fit. Most SPD-SL pedals come with the high-float yellow cleats, but if you need to force your foot to stay within a smaller range of angular motion on the pedals, the blue or red cleats are useful.
SPD mountain pedals don't have float options.

If you're referring to the system feeling squishy when you pull up, road cleats do generally have less vertical play than SPDs do.
This is because SPDs are just a retention mechanism that holds the shoe against the pedal. The shoe still pedals the pedal with its sole, and to accommodate different shoe shapes, the mechanism needs some vertical play.
With a road system, the shoe isn't supposed to contact the pedal. The cleat itself transfers pedaling to the pedal, and it sits in a very vertically-precise fit within the pedal.
As far as whether it makes a big difference on climbs... I'm not sure what climbing versus not climbing has to do with it. If you pull up on the pedal, the difference can be felt, although I doubt there's much consequence from a performance standpoint.
Old 08-30-18, 04:59 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
I don't think you'll have any difference in power transfer. I didn't feel any, and the studies I remember seeing didn't even find a power difference even between sneakers & flats vs SPD-SL. Whatever you like that keeps your feet anchored where they need to be will be fine.
Old 08-30-18, 05:18 PM
HTupolev

If I continue with SPDs on the road bike, I'd seek a higher-end, lighter pedal
Take a look at the A600.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.