Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Zwift training

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-18, 11:03 AM
NYMXer

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix EVO w Hi-Mod frame, Raleigh Tamland 1 and Giant Anthem X

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Zwift training

I bought a Wahoo KickR and just did my first ride. I must say, the feel was very realistic and definitely a worthwhile experience and workout.

I was in the group that thought this was more of a toy to help the winter pass but now, from real experience, have a new found respect for those that ride this trainer in place of the outdoors when weather or other conditions don’t allow getting a real ride over the virtual experience.

I found it interesting that you don’t get the downhill rests on the trainer, which probably makes up for the lack of wind resistance.
Old 11-24-18, 06:10 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22572 Post(s)
Liked 8,918 Times in 4,152 Posts
If you go fast enough downhill (30MPH?) and stop pedaling you go into extreme aero tuck and can coast.

Edit: must be 36 MPH and 3% or more downhill. Read more here: https://zwiftinsider.com/supertuck/
Old 11-24-18, 06:20 PM
eja_ bottecchia

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 463 Times in 293 Posts
I have been Zwifting for a little over a year.

It makes long indoor training sessions bearable.

And now that I am nursing a broken left ankle, Zwifting is the only way that I can get a ride on my bike.

Old 11-25-18, 10:26 AM
NYMXer

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix EVO w Hi-Mod frame, Raleigh Tamland 1 and Giant Anthem X

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Too wet here so I'm going to ride Zwift again today. Thanks datlas for that link and info, I have a lot to learn. I'll look for you eja, heal that ankle first.
Old 11-25-18, 03:36 PM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
Zwifting is a awesome way to ride in the long winter. I "Zwift" December to April. Its a good workout and its at least a bit engaging. I have even gotten a few riding buddies over the last few years.

Races are fun but not realistic so I don't do them usually but just riding around is fun enough. I put the tunes on and mute the TV.

Ride On!
Old 11-25-18, 03:48 PM
eja_ bottecchia

Originally Posted by NYMXer
Too wet here so I'm going to ride Zwift again today. Thanks datlas for that link and info, I have a lot to learn. I'll look for you eja, heal that ankle first.
Zwifting is the thing. See you on the virtual road!
Old 11-25-18, 04:51 PM
NYMXer

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by eja_ bottecchia

Zwifting is the thing. See you on the virtual road!
I rode London today, my first full ride. I was really impressed with how the stats compared with my real outdoor rides. Great job by Zwift, I am now an official believer! https://www.strava.com/activities/1984954444
Old 11-26-18, 11:41 PM
sierrabob

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanks for sharing that link to your Strava activity. Very impressive. I'd like to meet your 2,000 watt segment leader. She's stronger than a horse. Notice how the Zwift logo is pasted in there. They're using our athletic achievements as a poster board. Ugh.
Old 11-28-18, 02:07 AM
eja_ bottecchia

Originally Posted by NYMXer
Thank you. Zwifting is the only way for me to maintain my sanity, and retain some semblance of fitness, while the ankle heals.

Your Zwift numbers are impressive.

Ride On.
Old 11-28-18, 06:56 AM
NYMXer

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by eja_ bottecchia

Thank you. Zwifting is the only way for me to maintain my sanity, and retain some semblance of fitness, while the ankle heals.

Your Zwift numbers are impressive.

Ride On.
Thanks, that was pretty much a full effort ride but since I am still on the free trial program, an ad stopped me dead on Box Hill, until I clicked the screen, which meant I had to unclip from the bike to reach it.... That won't happen again, lol
Old 11-29-18, 01:27 AM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 460 Times in 362 Posts
Anything to keep you going through the winter. I bought a Kickr Core for this winter and it does feel a lot more like riding outside, compared to last year on a Fluid 2 trainer. Simulation mode is really only available on a smart trainer and now that I've experienced it I find riding Zwift to be more satisfying than the Sufferfest, where you are always chasing a power output. I'm sure by April I'll be sick of both of them.
Old 12-01-18, 01:32 PM
NYMXer

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Today's Zwift ride, https://www.strava.com/activities/1994569804
Old 12-01-18, 07:04 PM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 460 Times in 362 Posts
I've been nursing a sciatic nerve issue and cycling is the only thing that doesn't hurt. I can ride Zwift or outside as if nothing happened, but once I'm off the bike the pain starts again, although after I rode yesterday for just half an hour I felt much better. Today it hurt when I got on, and hurt when I got off, but I rode relatively hard on Watopia and it felt great. 10% upgrades will always kinda hurt but in a good way.
Old 12-02-18, 08:18 AM
NYMXer

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by zacster
I've been nursing a sciatic nerve issue and cycling is the only thing that doesn't hurt. I can ride Zwift or outside as if nothing happened, but once I'm off the bike the pain starts again, although after I rode yesterday for just half an hour I felt much better. Today it hurt when I got on, and hurt when I got off, but I rode relatively hard on Watopia and it felt great. 10% upgrades will always kinda hurt but in a good way.
Sorry to hear about your sciatic pain, did you know there is a "tennis ball pinch point" that is supposed to be effective. A person I know suffers from this and uses an inversion table for relief. Something like this, but there might be better info out there
Old 12-18-18, 09:03 PM
aspalmat

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 12 Posts
I got the Kickr Core, and gave Zwift a shot. Wasn't sure what to expect, but WOW, I love it! I added the Kickr Climb, which makes the climbing feel much more realistic. With the Core and Climb, I love it even more. Absolutely addicted to it right now. Zwift says I've logged 830 miles. Just riding by myself is fun. Group rides are tons of fun as well. Haven't tried racing yet, but will at some point. Just did my first pass of Alpe Du Zwift, wow, that was awesome!! What an awesome game/platform for cycling. Going to get a Zwift Runpod soon and give that a try as well.

Ride on!

I live in an excellent area for cycling. Miles of 2 lane country roads, with hardly any traffic. But, it has occurred to me that maybe I should just ride inside in Zwift, even during the summer for one main reason. I'm safe in my basement, no distracted driver can hit me down there. When the weather gets nice, the draw of the outdoors will be hard to resist, we will see.
Old 12-19-18, 04:55 AM
bobwysiwyg

Bikes: Mongoose Selous, Trek DS

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 941 Post(s)
Liked 319 Times in 189 Posts
I wonder what Zwift would be like if one could incorporate an Oculus?
Old 12-20-18, 12:41 PM
Photokid1970

Bikes: 2015 Trek DS 8.3, Trek Pilot 5.2

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by bobwysiwyg
Oh, wouldn't that be awesome? I have the Gear VR thing for my Samsung S8, but I don't use it much... but with Zwift being an iOS-only app, I can't do that yet. But I think that's a fantastic idea!

I only have a 3rd Gen Apple TV, so I have paired my sensors to an old iPhone 6, and I just screen mirror to the TV. It's a little choppy, but it's way better than pedaling in front of my PC in the home office. Next year I would love to do the Kickr and the Climb... just have the CycleOps magnetic trainer now. But still, it is fantastic to do the riding indoors while it's so cold out.
Old 12-20-18, 04:27 PM
bobwysiwyg

Originally Posted by Photokid1970
Oh, wouldn't that be awesome? I have the Gear VR thing for my Samsung S8, but I don't use it much... but with Zwift being an iOS-only app, I can't do that yet. But I think that's a fantastic idea!

I only have a 3rd Gen Apple TV, so I have paired my sensors to an old iPhone 6, and I just screen mirror to the TV. It's a little choppy, but it's way better than pedaling in front of my PC in the home office. Next year I would love to do the Kickr and the Climb... just have the CycleOps magnetic trainer now. But still, it is fantastic to do the riding indoors while it's so cold out.
I'm not that familiar with the tech details at both ends, but wouldn't Zwift have to accommodate it somehow as well?

I use an Android, Samsung S6. We have a relatively new "smart" TV, but it's upstairs in the living room. I can mirror my phone to it via or Wi-Fi. The images are kind of blah due to the significant difference. What looks great on the phone doesn't scale up well to the 55" Samsung.

Even if it did, my SO won't be allowing the trainer in our living room.
Just did an initial set-up of a Kickr Snap. Just using the Wahoo app right now. Waiting on a longer HDMI cable to see what I can cobble together on the TV in the basement, a decent, older Sony, 42" I think, but no WI-FI connection.
Old 12-30-18, 08:08 AM
Athens80

Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts
I'm not that familiar with the tech details at both ends, but wouldn't Zwift have to accommodate it somehow as well?
Here's the story of Zwift via the Oculus Rift at CES two years ago: https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2017/01/zwift-in-vr.html.They've had VR capability since 2013.

I've read a comment or two since. It gets hot under the visor.
Old 12-30-18, 07:34 PM
bobwysiwyg

Originally Posted by Athens80
Here's the story of Zwift via the Oculus Rift at CES two years ago: https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2017/01/zwift-in-vr.html.They've had VR capabilitvy since 2013.

I've read a comment or two since. It gets hot under the visor.
Interesting to know. Yes, wondered about the comfort issue.