Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

My turn, interaction with a car

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-18, 09:01 PM
wsgts

Bikes: 2018 Specialized AWOL, 2013 Surly Pacer, 2011 Raleigh One-Way, 1973 Raleigh Super Course, 2020 Surly Big Dummy

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 21 Posts

Had an interaction with a complete dumbass in a car today. I was commuting home and someone in a turn lane going left, decided that she was going to turn to the right across the straight lane because of the significant traffic in the area. I was in the straight lane taking the whole lane during her abrupt maneuver and my 2011 Raleigh One-way took the brunt of it, I rolled up and hitting pretty hard on my right side. I'm good besides bumps and bruises. Lots of people tried to help, but I really was and am alright, so I appreciate that.

This idiot decides she can make it all ok with "a drink" which she will buy me at a bar around the corner. She really wants me to ride with her somewhere, which I decline over and over. My wife is less sophisticated and VERY protective (and also a personal trainer) of me so I pick up my damaged bike and walk a half mile down to the bike shop to avoid the confrontation.

Anyway, front wheel will need a rebuild as will a lot of the fenders but could be worse. All I need is Tylenol and beer.
Old 12-05-18, 09:36 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
she was probably stunned & didn't know what to do. but dude! you cudda got some "strange" ... just sayin' ... the older we get, the fewer those opps come along. but totally understand being pissed at her. funny tho she went from being in hurry, to having time for drinks
Old 12-05-18, 09:40 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,462 Times in 1,433 Posts
You didn't want her to pay for your expenses?

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 12-05-18, 09:40 AM
acidfast7
Banned

Bikes: 2010 Cube Acid / 2013 Mango FGSS

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by wsgts
This idiot decides she can make it all ok with "a drink" which she will buy me at a bar around the corner. She really wants me to ride with her somewhere, which I decline over and over. My wife is less sophisticated and VERY protective (and also a personal trainer) of me so I pick up my damaged bike and walk a half mile down to the bike shop to avoid the confrontation.

Anyway, front wheel will need a rebuild as will a lot of the fenders but could be worse. All I need is Tylenol and beer.
1. That's what we did. The guy that hit me bought me a pint and we talked it out.

2. Not sure what to make out of the "my wife is less sophisticated" commentary. Why marry her? Arranged marriage (not as uncommon as one would think.)
Old 12-05-18, 09:48 AM
wsgts

Bikes: 2018 Specialized AWOL, 2013 Surly Pacer, 2011 Raleigh One-Way, 1973 Raleigh Super Course, 2020 Surly Big Dummy

Originally Posted by acidfast7
2. Not sure what to make out of the "my wife is less sophisticated" commentary. Why marry her? Arranged marriage (not as uncommon as one would think.)
It wasn't meant as a derogatory term. My wife is from what we affectionately term "the sticks", and has no reservation about kicking someone's butt (which is ironic she is so tiny).
Old 12-05-18, 09:50 AM
wsgts

Originally Posted by noglider
You didn't want her to pay for your expenses?
I wasn't thinking clearly at the time, should have, her car was still there this morning where she stopped after hitting me this morning so maybe the police took care of it.

T
Old 12-05-18, 10:31 AM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
I wasn't thinking clearly at the time, should have, her car was still there this morning where she stopped after hitting me this morning so maybe the police took care of it.

T
Maybe the police took care of it? Calling the police and having them make out an accident report on the scene is always the wisest course of action.
Old 12-05-18, 10:47 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
hmmm, you left before police arrived? how do you even know police arrived?
Old 12-05-18, 11:11 AM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1608 Post(s)
Liked 2,587 Times in 1,223 Posts
So, you didn't give her a chance to feel responsible for her actions? I think you let her down. Glad you are OK.
Old 12-05-18, 12:13 PM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2010 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 234 Posts
At the very least there should have been a police report. Glad you weren't hurt, but if health/medical issues arise later on and you don't have any documentation of the incident good luck with insurance.

Also, from her perspective: I hit someone on a bicycle while making an illegal move in traffic and there was no consequence. No need to change my behaviour.
Old 12-05-18, 03:32 PM
RoadKill

Bikes: Specialized AWOL, Specialized Roubaix, Niner Air9, Turner Sultan

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 24 Posts
If hit by car, always call police, always get the insurance info, always go to urgent care or something similar at a minimum. Even if you're not hurting the insurance company will use the fact you didn't go to show that the hit couldn't have been that bad. I will always call a lawyer if there is even the slightest chance of injury after seeing how things have gone with friends that were injured either in their car or on the bike.