Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

Indoor trainer vs Apple battery life

Search
Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-18, 12:07 PM
cj19

Bikes: Trek Domane SL 6, Salsa Vaya Apex

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Looking for some wisdom on using iphone or ipad with an indoor trainer. My winter indoor set up is a Trek Domane connected to a CycleOps M2 smart trainer. I'm currently using a Rouvy free trial, which I run on either an iphone or ipad that is then connected to a TV via a lightning-to-HDMI adapter and HDMI cable.
All this works very well but the problem is that if I start a training session or race on Rouvy with anything less than 60% of battery life on the ipad, I inevitably run out of battery at about 70 minutes. I'm using Rouvy's Augmented Reality function, which overlays avatars on top of a video, and running that in streaming mode (vs download mode because the routes take up a good bit of device memory).

Because the HDMI adapter plugs into the ipad / iphone lightning port, there's no way to charge the ipad / iphone at the same time it is being used for this app.

Any thoughts on how I can work around this (other than ensuring that the battery is fully charged)? Anyone else experiencing similar problems when streaming any of the trainer apps from an ipad or iphone? Thanks
Old 12-31-18, 05:01 PM
Athens80

Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts
The standard Apple Lightning Digital AV Adapter has both an HDMI out port and a Lightning charging port. Just attach your Lightning cable into the port and attach power (AC adapter or battery pack) to the other end.
Old 01-01-19, 11:01 PM
cj19

Bikes: Trek Domane SL 6, Salsa Vaya Apex

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks for your reply & suggestion Athens. In looking at that item I couldn't help but notice the extremely high number of negative reviews. Seems it doesn't work with iOS 12 updates? I may look for a similar product.
Old 01-08-19, 06:23 AM
jpescatore

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Disc, Jamis Renegade

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 305 Times in 217 Posts
I'm now using Apple TV with my Wahoo trainer and Zwift, but I was running off my iPad and used a combination cable that allowed monitor and charger connection, worked fine. That was last year, though - can't comment on any impact from latest updates.