Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Carbon fiber and hydraulic discs for $2k?

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-19, 07:18 PM
ridethetown

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Roubaix Comp, 2019 Specialized Diverge Sport, 2018 Santa Cruz Bronson S Aluminum 27.5, 2014 Wabi Classic (Fixed)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 5 Posts

Like so many here I'm looking for advice on a purchase. Already an avid rider (road, mountain, fixed) but am also in need of a cross/gravel bike. Hydraulics are an absolute must-have, and CF very much want-to-have. The bike will be used as follows:

1. Long (50+ mile) training rides into the mountains. I'm riding the Death Ride this year so need to log lots of hours suffering over mountains on tired legs. I love the difficulty of climbing forest service roads for this purpose.
2. Considering using this bike on the Death Ride if it's comfortable and light enough. This is why lightweight, CF, and hydraulics are important. Otherwise I'll ride my Tarmac.
3. Cross racing in the local series this fall.
4. Ability to lightly load for the rare overnight CC tour or ultralight pack trip
5. 1-1 gear or close to it.

I've got $2k to spend, maybe could stretch a few hundred for the right setup. I'm not very imaginative in my searching I guess, and the Google yields a bunch of near-misses or bikes out of my range. I'm wondering if there are options I'm unaware of. So far I've found the following, which are close but each have a distinct shortcoming:

-Specialized Diverge: $500 over budget, not huge on Tiagra
-Canyon Grail AL: aluminum
-Felt Breed: aluminum
-Felt F5X: $600 over budget
-Diamondback Haanjo 7C: $700 over budget (but nice looking build!)
-Niner RLT 9 Tiagra: aluminum, and...tiagra

Of the above, I'd say the leader for my money is the Canyon at only $1,800 it seems like a lot of bike. It's just alloy instead of the composite I desire. Please let me know if there are others I'm missing that I should consider.
Old 02-25-19, 07:55 PM
radroad

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 24 Posts
BikesDirect has a bike that barely ekes in. Free shipping and no sales tax makes it equivalent to a $2K bike with sales tax. Ulegra groupset. 34/34 low gear. Not really a gravel bike. Comes standard with 28c tires.

https://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...road-bikes.htm

Titanium ultegra disc. 34/34 low gear. Room for 40c tires. But, it's titanium.

https://www.bikesdirect.com/products/motobecane/disc-brake-roadbikes/centurypro-ti-discbrake-road-ta.htm

Last edited by radroad; 02-25-19 at 08:02 PM.
Old 02-25-19, 07:55 PM
str8jakett
I pedal in my sleep...

Bikes: Giant TCR Advanced 2015, Giant Propel Advanced Pro 2015, Giant TCR Advanced 0 ISP 2008, Cube Cross Race SL 2018, Chapter2 TOA 2022

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 37 Posts
It will be interesting to see if the Grail AL actually becomes available mid-March, which is the last target given to me by Canyon customer service. Previously they gave me dates in December and February. I really wanted that bike but I didn't like the possibility of further delay like Europe is dealing with, so I went elsewhere. I was in the $1500-$2k range and hydro 1x but looking for aluminum. It's a tough market when you want specifics. Good luck with your search.
Old 02-25-19, 09:52 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,473 Times in 4,181 Posts
https://www.diamondback.com/haanjo-7c-carbon-41

this is $2160 shipped using the diamondback/Raleigh discount code. Just an fyi if you the geometry fits you.

the canyon is a really intriguing option, but the lack of geometry details, lack of actual inventory, and those icing cake welds are really drawbacks. Especially negative is the lack of being able to buy the bike.
Old 02-25-19, 10:05 PM
Lava
Reno/Seattle/NYC

Bikes: Cannondale Topstone 105

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
The Giant Revolt Advanced 2 sort of fits the bill, if you consider the hybrid brake system they have on there hydraulic.
Old 02-25-19, 10:28 PM
CodyDog

Bikes: Specialized Vado SL/Trek Fuel EXe

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 29 Posts
Originally Posted by Lava
The Giant Revolt Advanced 2 sort of fits the bill, if you consider the hybrid brake system they have on there hydraulic.
I test road the Revolt and it handle well and fits in the OP's price range. The braking system was different but very functional.
Old 02-25-19, 10:47 PM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,017 Times in 571 Posts
Originally Posted by ridethetown

Of the above, I'd say the leader for my money is the Canyon at only $1,800 it seems like a lot of bike. It's just alloy instead of the composite I desire. Please let me know if there are others I'm missing that I should consider.
They've got carbon at just a bit over your target price now.

https://www.canyon.com/en-us/road/gr...cf-sl-disc-7-0
Old 02-26-19, 12:11 AM
ridethetown

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Roubaix Comp, 2019 Specialized Diverge Sport, 2018 Santa Cruz Bronson S Aluminum 27.5, 2014 Wabi Classic (Fixed)

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
https://www.diamondback.com/haanjo-7c-carbon-41

this is $2160 shipped using the diamondback/Raleigh discount code. Just an fyi if you the geometry fits you.

the canyon is a really intriguing option, but the lack of geometry details, lack of actual inventory, and those icing cake welds are really drawbacks. Especially negative is the lack of being able to buy the bike.
Yes, and I'm impatient. I wasn't aware of the discount on the Diamondback, and that bike is exactly the tool for the job. I'll look into the geometry - where do I find the details on the code?
Old 02-26-19, 11:20 AM
gus6464

Quoted: 353 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 67 Posts
I'm seeing the Grail CF SL 7.0 at $2060. What am I missing?
Old 02-26-19, 11:33 AM
ridethetown

Originally Posted by gus6464
I'm seeing the Grail CF SL 7.0 at $2060. What am I missing?
Honestly I didn't scroll down far enough to see they're on sale. At $2,500 I couldn't look past that strange design. At $2k, I may have found the new contender.
Old 02-26-19, 11:54 AM
redlude97

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1975 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 173 Posts
Used? You can get quality setups especially QR frames for ~$1500 with hydro, and using the other $500 for an extra wheelset for difference CX/gravel conditions and tubeless/tubular supplies and tires
Old 02-26-19, 12:07 PM
gus6464

Honestly I didn't scroll down far enough to see they're on sale. At $2,500 I couldn't look past that strange design. At $2k, I may have found the new contender.
I would recommend you go to local shops and check out the yearly closeouts. You might find much better deals that way.
Old 02-26-19, 12:51 PM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts

-Specialized Diverge: $500 over budget, not huge on Tiagra
-Canyon Grail AL: aluminum
-Felt Breed: aluminum
-Felt F5X: $600 over budget
-Diamondback Haanjo 7C: $700 over budget (but nice looking build!)
-Niner RLT 9 Tiagra: aluminum, and...tiagra

I spend ~$3000 on a Canyon Inflite, and now they are on sale for $2000. Super light, and super fast. That is an incredible bargain. Its not a lot different from the Grail. And, it is ugly, but not as fugly as the Carbon Grail. Still, $2000k for a race ready 7.9kg bike is a steal. I have no problem doing 50 mile rides on it - the ride is super cush in the rear (and stiff up front for CX). It climbs faster and easier than any bike I've had (I set a lot of KOMs and PRs after I got it).
Old 02-26-19, 04:37 PM
gus6464

Originally Posted by chas58
I spend ~$3000 on a Canyon Inflite, and now they are on sale for $2000. Super light, and super fast. That is an incredible bargain. Its not a lot different from the Grail. And, it is ugly, but not as fugly as the Carbon Grail. Still, $2000k for a race ready 7.9kg bike is a steal. I have no problem doing 50 mile rides on it - the ride is super cush in the rear (and stiff up front for CX). It climbs faster and easier than any bike I've had (I set a lot of KOMs and PRs after I got it).
Hmm if I hadn't just bought a Stigmata CC for $2k last week I'd be all over that Inflite. Is the Inflite cockpit all custom? If you wanted to run different bars are you screwed? Or can you use a regular stem and spacers?
Old 02-26-19, 05:54 PM
kokak
Just finidng my cadence

Bikes: Motobecane Ti Century Pro, Catrike 559

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by radroad
BikesDirect has a bike that barely ekes in. Free shipping and no sales tax makes it equivalent to a $2K bike with sales tax. Ulegra groupset. 34/34 low gear. Not really a gravel bike. Comes standard with 28c tires.

**link**

Titanium ultegra disc. 34/34 low gear. Room for 40c tires. But, it's titanium.

**link**
I bought the Titanium Century Pro last year. It came with the Shimano R8000 Groupset and I have been very happy with it. BTW... my frame accommodates 44mm tires with plenty of room left. All for $2399.00 you can't beat the price or comfort.
Old 02-26-19, 06:40 PM
radroad

Originally Posted by kokak
I bought the Titanium Century Pro last year. It came with the Shimano R8000 Groupset and I have been very happy with it. BTW... my frame accommodates 44mm tires with plenty of room left. All for $2399.00 you can't beat the price or comfort.
Glad you like your bike.

I have really mixed feelings about BD. Their 2019 bikes are their best ever, without question. But they have no phone line, probably no customer support staff and getting technical help is probably hit and miss at best. I see other quality direct to consumer brands like canyon and Whyte and commencal with superior customer service and design staff who think through every detail of bike design and wonder if I can support a company like BD if they're not willing to support me as a customer.
Old 02-26-19, 07:28 PM
kokak
Just finidng my cadence

Bikes: Motobecane Ti Century Pro, Catrike 559

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
When I was still shopping around... I emailed their support quit a bit and found them very responsive (just my experience). This was my N+1 bike (to start) since I was riding my TREK DOMANE, but always wanted to get something that would accommodate a wider tire.
Now that I am starting to look for a Mountain Bike... I definitely would not rule them out...
Old 02-27-19, 08:58 AM
chas58

Originally Posted by radroad
Glad you like your bike.

I have really mixed feelings about BD. Their 2019 bikes are their best ever, without question. But they have no phone line, probably no customer support staff and getting technical help is probably hit and miss at best. I see other quality direct to consumer brands like canyon and Whyte and commencal with superior customer service and design staff who think through every detail of bike design and wonder if I can support a company like BD if they're not willing to support me as a customer.
I have both BD and Canyon. There is no comparison. BD takes old frame designs that are past their prime and puts some high quality components on it (and maybe some less visible mediocre stuff on it), and calls it good. Canyon is at or near best in class for everything – even the tiny details. And the bikes perform.

BD is great if you are putting out 100-200 watts and cruising around like many people do. That isn’t going to stress the frame. But if you are a strong rider or finicky with performance, comfort, precision, handling, and quality – there is no comparison.
Old 02-27-19, 10:20 AM
Elvo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 206 Posts
https://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...ross-bikes.htm

Old 02-27-19, 10:29 AM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
42t chainring, 32t cassette - kind of limiting.
Old 02-27-19, 10:41 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,473 Times in 4,181 Posts
Originally Posted by chas58
I have both BD and Canyon. There is no comparison. BD takes old frame designs that are past their prime and puts some high quality components on it (and maybe some less visible mediocre stuff on it), and calls it good. Canyon is at or near best in class for everything – even the tiny details. And the bikes perform.

BD is great if you are putting out 100-200 watts and cruising around like many people do. That isn’t going to stress the frame. But if you are a strong rider or finicky with performance, comfort, precision, handling, and quality – there is no comparison.
BD frames can't take the stress of a strong cyclist? so you are claiming BD's frames are unable to handle the effort of a rider that can put out more than 200 watts?

I'm not sure what old frsme designs have to do with anything as those old designs were, at the time, current frame designs and handles the stress of strong riders.

or are you saying BD's frames are manufactured poorly and that's why the frames can't handle more than 'cruising' effort?

I dont own an BD bike or canyon. No dog in this.
Old 02-27-19, 01:32 PM
chas58

OH, they can handle the stress. It is just that I don't see much of a performance difference between BD and Canyon (or any good name brand) at 200 watts or below (other than maybe ride quality). I see the difference when pushing it.

I’m fine on the BD for endurance events, family ride, or even commuting. I am saying that there is a difference between a world class bike and an old basic design from KMS or Fuji or whomever. I notice the difference in precision handling responsiveness, acceleration, climbing (or racing) when I’m pushing myself. But if I’m not riding hard – I don’t see much of a noticeable difference.

On the track bikes, it was like going from 16t to 15t. On the road bikes, I constantly hit more KOMs, PRs, and can ride with a faster class of rider. But on a 20mph (15 mile) commute I can’t say one bike is faster than the other. Depends on how I’m using it.

BD is great for what it is (if you don't need the customer service).
Old 02-27-19, 02:48 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Does not have to hit all your desired points out of the box buy it for right frame size and ride feel, then change things...

Of course you cannot test ride a bike that you only see online..

But My nearby LBS does, for a Fee, do the final assembly and tune up safety checks for bikes from your mail ordered discount places..

Just drop off the box..

Old 02-27-19, 06:16 PM
radroad

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
BD frames can't take the stress of a strong cyclist? so you are claiming BD's frames are unable to handle the effort of a rider that can put out more than 200 watts?

I'm not sure what old frsme designs have to do with anything as those old designs were, at the time, current frame designs and handles the stress of strong riders.

or are you saying BD's frames are manufactured poorly and that's why the frames can't handle more than 'cruising' effort?

I dont own an BD bike or canyon. No dog in this.

Same. I don't own either brand. However, there is no doubt that Canyon is the superior brand. Their designs, level of innovation, and customer service are on a completely different tier. Whereas bikes direct bikes are a revision or 2 or 3 or 4 behind the most recent designs, canyon is often a step ahead.

Canyon prices however have taken a big step up this year so I may be out for their most recent models. Bikes Direct bikes are very frustrating. They sell bikes with a component group that you often need to pay at least $1K or $2K more to get with bike shop brands. But the BD bikes almost always have some very odd component choices here and there that don't make any sense, which are basically unusable. Also, the frames often have some anachronistic features or outdated geometry.

Again, the 2019 models from BD are the most modern looking I've seen. But they still haven't caught up. Not to mention their lack of phone support and spotty email support does not inspire confidence at all.

Unlike many enthusiasts, I don't hate bikes direct. But I don't have much confidence in their bike designs or customer service either.
Old 02-28-19, 09:44 AM
chas58

I like BD.
I always wondered what is really the differnce between them and top tier brands. Now I know.
Their designs are a bit anachronistic. Components can be hit or miss. Again, when I'm doing a more casual ride (at 80% or less), they are great. Its when I'm in that top 20% of effort that I really notice the difference.

Also, Canyon has blown me away with the little design details. The whole package was beyond my expectations.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.