Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Aero Bar Recommendations

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Aero Bar Recommendations

Old 08-13-19, 09:51 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
I'd sooner ride in the skis with my eyes closed than hop into a high-speed paceline with complete strangers. I'm not entrusting my safety to anyone with unknown bike handling skills.

It's the leading reason I don't do many group rides, especially paid ones-- I feel far safer out alone with car traffic. Cars tend to be more predictable.
Old 08-14-19, 10:47 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
Opened the topic pretty much expecting the first post to be what it was.

While my finger is on the trigger to instantly brake if necessary, even if you're an awesomely aware group rider......your response is going to be delayed while you take both hands off the bars to reach for a brake. So, if you must do this, only use them if caught out on your own.

When this topic comes up I recommend not getting them. If your roadie fit is so uncomfortable you need aero bars to survive a long ride, get a bike fit and do some core work. The bike fit will likely make the core work unnecessary.

Aero bars weren't designed for "hand positions" or "resting" in fondos. They were invented to.........be aero. In time trial and triathlon.

If one MUST insist on doing this in a fondo or group, first join a local triathlon or duathlon group ride that has tri bikes in it. Ride with them and get used to it first. See what the experience folks do and take mental notes. Ask questions.

Please don't ride solo on clip ons then show up to a fondo to ride them in the group without experience.

If it's a worry of being caught out alone, most any fondo should have plenty of little packs your pace. Leave with a group from rest stops, etc....
Likes For burnthesheep:
Old 08-14-19, 12:17 PM
ksryder

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1281 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 329 Posts
You realize you aren't required to actually be on the aero bars at all times simply because you bolt them on right. Like, they don't just magically make the hoods and drops unusable.
Old 08-14-19, 05:37 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4728 Post(s)
Liked 1,530 Times in 1,001 Posts
Originally Posted by ksryder
You realize you aren't required to actually be on the aero bars at all times simply because you bolt them on right. Like, they don't just magically make the hoods and drops unusable.
There is a quite valid and serious concern that aero bolt-ons will become almost universally adopted, and to some degree, diminish the cool factor and mystique generation for those that have already discovered their image-promoting benefits. I mean, what would happen if everyone with a road bike just decided to stick a pair on their bars.. cause why not?
Old 08-14-19, 06:05 PM
Cykilist2

Bikes: a cannondale & a trek

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Purchased, but not used yet.

I just bought the Precision aero bars. I have not put them on my bike yet. I can't seem to find a good place to arrange the rest of my front gadgets... I have a fly12, garmin combo front mount by cycliq. If I can squeeze it in, and stretch the bars, it might work.
I'm doing a 120 miler on Saturday, but have the (probably) silly question.. Aero bars are good for a long set of flats or slight inclines, but do they get in the way if you're in the middle of climbing a mountain? Do a lot of you climbers have aerobars mounted on, whether you're doing a long distance ride (I am a member of RUSA), or a 30 mile interval workout... I would have no need for them on those type of workouts, and only do a few centuries a year. Are they really worthwhile to have? The last century I did (210K), I had some back & neck issues. The route was pretty flat.
I think I would like to remove them, and only use them when I've got a long ride staring me in the face.

Suggestions? Worthwhile to have?
Old 08-14-19, 08:41 PM
ksryder

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1281 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by Cykilist2
I just bought the Precision aero bars. I have not put them on my bike yet. I can't seem to find a good place to arrange the rest of my front gadgets... I have a fly12, garmin combo front mount by cycliq. If I can squeeze it in, and stretch the bars, it might work.
I'm doing a 120 miler on Saturday, but have the (probably) silly question.. Aero bars are good for a long set of flats or slight inclines, but do they get in the way if you're in the middle of climbing a mountain? Do a lot of you climbers have aerobars mounted on, whether you're doing a long distance ride (I am a member of RUSA), or a 30 mile interval workout... I would have no need for them on those type of workouts, and only do a few centuries a year. Are they really worthwhile to have? The last century I did (210K), I had some back & neck issues. The route was pretty flat.
I think I would like to remove them, and only use them when I've got a long ride staring me in the face.

How would they get in the way? Hoods and drops are still usable. Just not much room on the tops but I rarely ride in the tops.

Re: where to bolt everything. Barfly makes a TT mount specifically for this. I assume K-edge does, as well. If you're trying to bolt on three things it gets a bit trickier but I was able to use the Barfly mount for my computer and camera, and strap a headlight to the other extension.

So I'm coming from the gravel world, where they are pretty common in races in the Midwest because we have horrible headwinds. They're good when you're riding into a 20 mph wind for 80 miles and you're by yourself.

No one had a problem with them until a couple years ago when some loudmouth pros started showing up to Dirty Kanza and manufactured a phony controversy about them and the cycling media fell for it hook line and sinker.

A few years ago at DK there was a horrible 15-20 mph north wind and the entire second half of the course was straight into it. After I finished I immediately got aerobars and they were great. Last year, there were similar conditions and the aerobars definitely gave me a benefit.

This year the course was different, and for a lot of reasons the aerobars weren't as beneficial. A lot more climbing and the road conditions were very challenging, there just weren't a lot of long flat stretches with forgiving surfaces. If I rode that course again I wouldn't use them.

In gravel at least they're not so much used by the rank and file for speed, but for headwinds and for comfort. When you're on the bike for 13-18 hours it's nice to take the pressure off your hands and neck and shoulders.

I remove them after Kanza, mainly because of weight and also sometimes I do CX. Honestly for anything under 150 miles I can do without them.
Old 08-14-19, 10:53 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3401 Post(s)
Liked 3,531 Times in 1,776 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
I don't think it's common for them to be banned in century rides.
I know they were banned from the Markleeville Death Ride, because some idiots were descending those mountain roads in their aero bars.
Old 08-14-19, 11:08 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by ksryder
This isn't true at all. You have to bolt your arms to the bars, you can't even get off the bike without surgery.
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 08-15-19, 02:22 AM
rivers

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 79 Posts
Originally Posted by Cykilist2

Try one of these to fit your gadgets.
https://profile-design.com/collectio...m-aerobridge-1
I also use a stem mount for my garmin if I need to have lights as well
Old 08-15-19, 06:59 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3233 Post(s)
Liked 2,511 Times in 1,510 Posts
Might as well go full tilt and get the water bottle that fits between the bars with the big A$$ straw. If not that, then the dual water bottle mount that fits behind the saddle. This will also get you some speed savings.