Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Does Anyone Remember The CCM Corsa XL?

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 08-29-19, 03:04 PM
Erik XL

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi Everyone.
First post here, and I'm already looking for help!

I was curious to know if anyone had ever come across any info on the CCM Corsa XL. I had bought one in the summer of 1980 I believe, at a huge price of $160, after a large discount, as the dealer had messed up the order. This was an enormous amount of money for 13 year old me, as I'm sure you can imagine. It's been stored at my brother's farm for many years, but I will get it back and get it restored over the winter.

All I really remember about it was that it was supposedly the lighter brother to the CCM Corsa, with better quality Shimano oily bits.

Anyhow, I'm curious to know if anyone has any info on it or remembers anything. It was the first big purchase of my life, and of course, has way more sentimental value to me then any market value it might have. I'll likely end up spending way too much to make it right again, but there are worse things to spend money on.

Thanks in advance, and I look forward to getting to know many of you around these parts.
Old 08-29-19, 05:23 PM
old's'cool
curmudgineer

Bikes: 2 many 2 fit here

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 70 Posts
Welcome! We are here to help, especially newbies. I don't have the answer but I'll wager you'll get a very informative response from T-Mar next time he's online. You might hear from RandyJawa as well.
Old 08-29-19, 10:01 PM
Erik XL

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by old's'cool
Welcome! We are here to help, especially newbies. I don't have the answer but I'll wager you'll get a very informative response from T-Mar next time he's online. You might hear from RandyJawa as well.
Thanks very much for the warm welcome. I look forward to hearing and learning from those gents.
Old 08-30-19, 05:25 AM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 1370 Post(s)
Liked 1,743 Times in 934 Posts
A CCM Corsa or two have come my way, over the years. This one was not in as good of condition as the first one, which, I believe was fitted with matching fenders. I do have other pictures, but like most entry level CCM offerings, the machines did little to encourage me to restore them. I am not sure if either were the XL model but I can offer this and hope it helps a wee bit...
Old 08-30-19, 07:40 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 652 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4719 Post(s)
Liked 3,034 Times in 1,874 Posts
Welcome to the forums. CCM's Corsa XL was a 3 year model (1979-1981). It was the replacement for the 1978 Corsa and was 3rd in CCM's line of four "lightweight models" (i.e. derailleur equipped bicycles with 27" wheels and drop handlebars). MSRP in the summer of 1980 would have been ~$200 CDN. In 1979 it was offered in four colours (jasmine, silver, white and blue). White and blue were dropped in favour of black for 1980 and jasmine was dropped for 1981.

The big upgrade over the Corsa was an aluminum, cotterless crankset replacing the cottered, steel crankset. While this certainly lightened the bicycle, by most standards it was still only an entry level model, having a hi-tensile steel frame with stamped dropouts, stem mounted shift levers, safety brake lever levers and steel rims. While there may have been some minor variation from year to year, the major components were typically Shimano Altus derailleurs paired with Dia-Compe centre-pull brakes and an SR Silstar crankset.

CCM was on it's last legs during this period, having been in trouble ever since the influx of foreign ten speeds during the very early 1970s. There were a multitude of problems including labour unrest, poor workmanship, a dated factory and an aversion of young people towards domestic corporate entities. This last aspect took a huge toll on their lightweight market, as the teenagers and young adults gravitated towards foreign market models. CCM was left with primarily a children's and middle aged market. Remaining lightweight sales were heavily skewed to the entry level models. Consequently, CCM management made the unfortunate decision to downscale the lightweight line, eliminating all the high end and mid range model over a two year period. By 1978 the lightweight line was all entry level models. There were no models with 700C wheels or frame better than hi-tensile steel. In my opinion, the absence of a high grade "showcase" model only further eroded the image of brand and hastened their demise. The company went bankrupt at the beginning on 1983 with Procycle buying the rights to brand ( for bicycles only) and the bicycle brand currently being licensed to Canadian Tire.

From the 1981 catalogue:

Last edited by T-Mar; 08-30-19 at 07:51 AM.
Old 08-30-19, 08:54 AM
Erik XL

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by T-Mar
Welcome to the forums. CCM's Corsa XL was a 3 year model (1979-1981). It was the replacement for the 1978 Corsa and was 3rd in CCM's line of four "lightweight models" (i.e. derailleur equipped bicycles with 27" wheels and drop handlebars). MSRP in the summer of 1980 would have been ~$200 CDN. In 1979 it was offered in four colours (jasmine, silver, white and blue). White and blue were dropped in favour of black for 1980 and jasmine was dropped for 1981.

The big upgrade over the Corsa was an aluminum, cotterless crankset replacing the cottered, steel crankset. While this certainly lightened the bicycle, by most standards it was still only an entry level model, having a hi-tensile steel frame with stamped dropouts, stem mounted shift levers, safety brake lever levers and steel rims. While there may have been some minor variation from year to year, the major components were typically Shimano Altus derailleurs paired with Dia-Compe centre-pull brakes and an SR Silstar crankset.

CCM was on it's last legs during this period, having been in trouble ever since the influx of foreign ten speeds during the very early 1970s. There were a multitude of problems including labour unrest, poor workmanship, a dated factory and an aversion of young people towards domestic corporate entities. This last aspect took a huge toll on their lightweight market, as the teenagers and young adults gravitated towards foreign market models. CCM was left with primarily a children's and middle aged market. Remaining lightweight sales were heavily skewed to the entry level models. Consequently, CCM management made the unfortunate decision to downscale the lightweight line, eliminating all the high end and mid range model over a two year period. By 1978 the lightweight line was all entry level models. There were no models with 700C wheels or frame better than hi-tensile steel. In my opinion, the absence of a high grade "showcase" model only further eroded the image of brand and hastened their demise. The company went bankrupt at the beginning on 1983 with Procycle buying the rights to brand ( for bicycles only) and the bicycle brand currently being licensed to Canadian Tire.

From the 1981 catalogue:
Wow.
Thanks T-Mar. That's some great information.

You corrected one thing I was unsure of. I did indeed buy mine in 1979, at the ripe old age of 12, the summer before starting grade 7 at a new school.

List price was right around $220, I think. Just over $200 anyway, as I got mine at cost due to a screw up by the dealer. I had ordered the Corsa at about $130, and they accidentally got the vastly more expensive Corsa XL for me, which they have me at a cost price of $160. They did open their pricing book and showed me that's what it cost them. I remember this so clearly, because a year of saving had gotten me the $130 I needed for the Corsa, but the $160 for the XL, even at cost, was a huge jump. Thankfully, my wonderful dad stepped in and covered the difference for me.

I had ordered my Corsa after falling in love with my friends red and blue one. I was very disappointed when the XL came in with the new red and white stickers. But the bike was dramatically better then the regular Corsa. It was also notably lighter, then the regular Corsa or any of the normal bikes my friends had. Would the crankset make that much of a difference? I remember having the coolest bike in Don Mills thar summer (at least for the younger set), with constant bike lifting comparisons to illustrate the difference.

One correction though. The Corsa XL did not replace the Corsa, at least not at first. They did coexist for some time at least.

Finally, you don't have a copy of the 1979 catalog, do you? I'd love to see what they said about it then.

Thanks for the fantastic, detailed response.

Btw, as much as I love my Corsa, I still desperately want to partner it With a Tour du Canada!
Old 08-30-19, 10:05 AM
T-Mar

I worked at at a CCM bicycle dealership during the early 1970s bicycle boom, first as mechanic and later as the manager. The bicycle boom went bust in 1975 and I left at the end of the season to return to school. However, I continued to follow CCM and through my contacts managed to acquire much of the literature through to their demise.

While I do have the 1979 literature, it came in folder of loose sheets and the Corsa XL, along with a couple of others, is missing. However, I do have the dealer price lists for both 1978 and 1979. According to these, the Corsa and Corsa XL were not offered concurrently. The Corsa was 1978 and the Corsa XL was 1979. I suspect what happened was that CCM had leftover stock of the 1978 Corsa and were clearing them out in 1979. When your dealer placed the order, they had probably run out, forcing him to accept a Corsa XL. However, your recollection of the dealer pricing suggest a 1981 model, when it was $158.90 or $161.90 for a 25" model. In 1979 it was only $138.00.

Regarding the Tour du Canada, they were a fairly good seller but few survive. Most were bought by dealers and stripped for the Campagnolo components, as dealer cost on a TdC was less than buying a group though Shields. Those who did buy the TdC typically stripped the decals, to avoid the ridicule of being seen riding a CCM, even if it was the top model. On paper the TdC looked good but that impression weakened in person and suffered even more after riding. The decals were cheesy. The workmanship was competent but showed cost concessions. The Universal 68 brakeset was only passable. The gearing was far too narrow and low, being junior class compliant. The frame rode soft and unresponsive in comparison to other high end models. Still, it was the best price in a Reynolds 531DB frame with Campagnolo Nuovo Reecord (less brakes), with the exception of the Favorit. If you are a CCM collector, it would be a desirable model, behind a Flyer or Flyte. However, if you just want a high grade bicycle there are better values and easier acquisitions to be had.

Edit: Also, be aware that Procycle later offered a lower grade bicycle under the Tour Du Canada model name.

Last edited by T-Mar; 08-30-19 at 10:15 AM. Reason: Added last sentence
Likes For T-Mar:
Old 08-30-19, 10:37 AM
Erik XL

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I worked at at a CCM bicycle dealership during the early 1970s bicycle boom, first as mechanic and later as the manager. The bicycle boom went bust in 1975 and I left at the end of the season to return to school. However, I continued to follow CCM and through my contacts managed to acquire much of the literature through to their demise.

While I do have the 1979 literature, it came in folder of loose sheets and the Corsa XL, along with a couple of others, is missing. However, I do have the dealer price lists for both 1978 and 1979. According to these, the Corsa and Corsa XL were not offered concurrently. The Corsa was 1978 and the Corsa XL was 1979. I suspect what happened was that CCM had leftover stock of the 1978 Corsa and were clearing them out in 1979. When your dealer placed the order, they had probably run out, forcing him to accept a Corsa XL. However, your recollection of the dealer pricing suggest a 1981 model, when it was $158.90 or $161.90 for a 25" model. In 1979 it was only $138.00.

Regarding the Tour de Canada, they were a fairly good seller but few survive. Most were bought by dealers and stripped for the Campagnolo components, as dealer cost on a TdC was less than buying a group though Shields. Those who did buy the TdC typically stripped the decals, to avoid the ridicule of being seen riding a CCM, even if it was the top model. On paper the TdC looked good but that impression weakened in person and suffered even more after riding. The decals were cheesy. The workmanship was competent but showed cost concessions. The Universal 68 brakeset was only passable. The gearing was far too narrow and low, being junior class compliant. The frame rode soft and unresponsive in comparison to other high end models. Still, it was the best price in a Reynolds 531DB frame with Campagnolo Nuovo Reecord (less brakes), with the exception of the Favorit. If you are a CCM collector, it would be a desirable model, behind a Flyer or Flyte. However, if you're just want a high grade bicycle there are better values and easier acquisitions to be had.
Hmmm.
Interesting. You do have some great info. Thanks for sharing that. If you don't mind me asking, what caused the bust of the market in 1975? There always seemed to be plenty of mainstream 10 speeds around in my youth.

I don't suggest that the dealer was anything but totally honest with me, but....
What would the margin have been on a bike like that in that era? I should check if I still have the receipt for it somewhere. Would be interesting to see. I do recall the store being on the north side of Steeles, just west of Yonge.

The TdC is just a fun thing I'd like to collect. I know that there is a lot better bikes out there. But it's a piece of its time, and the name, and that it was made locally, do have some value to me. I'm not that serious a rider anymore, so I could just enjoy it for what it is. Though I would want the original stickers!

Interesting about the stigma around CCM ownership at the time. I suppose I was too young for it. CCM was in my age group a step above the beginner bicycles, if a step below the silly expensive European bikes, though the bikes j would have considered silky expensive then would be seen as silly cheap now. Don Mills at the time was joyously middle class. A made in Canada CCM would not have been frowned upon then.

I will have to dig up the 1979 brochures at some point. Not an easy task, I realize. I'd love to know the actual weight difference between the Corsa and the Corsa XL. It was most certainly noticable, and it did ride a lot better. Be interesting to know what they quoted as an official weight difference.

What you said about moving out leftover product certainly makes sense. They did tool up a 1979 style sticker for it, but that wouldn't have been an expensive thing to do, to make it look like the current model.

Out of curiosity, do you have any idea what a nice shape TdC would fetch nowadays? Just curious to know where the market is for them now.

Once I get my Corsa XL back, and start restoring it, I'll certainly chime in with what I find there. Aside from the front forks, it is all original. Maybe weigh it too, to figure out how Extra Light it is! I'm sure I'll spend way too much in it to make it right again, but no one has ever said nostalgia was cheap.

Thanks again for sharing your knowledge and experience. It's very much appreciated by this CCM fan.
Old 08-30-19, 12:30 PM
T-Mar

The 1979 literature does not specify a claimed weight. In fact, I can't recall CCM ever specifying weights. Their specs were typically very generic. You were luck y to get them to spec a derailleur by make and model. Based on the differences I see, I suspect it was 1-2 lbs. That's enough to be noticeable but not what I'd call a big difference.

I don't know what margins were at the time, but during the peak of the boom it was 33% at our shop. Some greedy dealers charged more. After the boom went bust, some dealers may have lowered margins, in an attempt to move stock. Shops survived mostly on repairs and after-market sales, where the mark-up was typically 100%.

TdC prices could vary substantially, depending on condition and where you live. You should be able to find one good condition for as low as ~$350. Excellent condition, in T.O. would be in the realm of $750, maybe higher. They don't surface often, so there are few benchmarks. I've seen maybe a handful that have surfaced in the past decade and only one with OEM decals. I don't know of anybody who makes decal for them.

I don't know the reasons for the crash in 1975. Bicycles were still selling but at about 50% of the 1972-1974 peak. Many dealers had placed 1975 orders based on their 1974 sales and were left with excess stock at year end. I suspect the crash was simply a case of market saturation during those 3 years.

There was definitely a stigma about owning a a CCM for the teenage and young adult age category. Based on my observations, it was part of the counter-culture movement of that era (i.e. don't rust anybody over thirty or big corporations). It was a case where CCM's brand reputation actually hurt them, as there were viewed as "big business". The new shakers in the industry, such as Peugeot, were even bigger but the average consumer didn't realize their size. Also being European, they were viewed as being more liberal than North American companies. Consequently, the teenagers and sub-thirty year old consumers with their own discretionary income bought European or Asian.

Conversely, the 30+ crowd remembered World War II first hand and were fierce nationalists. They bought Canadian. But they were also leery of the complexity of derailleur equipped bicycles and their being a fad. Consequently, they tended towards 3 speeds and when they bought 10 speeds for children your age, they gravitated towards the least expensive model. Both factors made the CCM Turismo and subsequent Targa big sellers but they were the only CCM lightweights that sold in appreciable quantity. There was probably even higher loyalty to CCM in metro T.O., due to the proximity to the factory.

Once you get your bicycle back, the serial number will end all the mystery about the exact age.

Last edited by T-Mar; 08-30-19 at 12:35 PM.
Old 08-30-19, 05:57 PM
Erik XL

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The 1979 literature does not specify a claimed weight. In fact, I can't recall CCM ever specifying weights. Their specs were typically very generic. You were luck y to get them to spec a derailleur by make and model. Based on the differences I see, I suspect it was 1-2 lbs. That's enough to be noticeable but not what I'd call a big difference.

I don't know what margins were at the time, but during the peak of the boom it was 33% at our shop. Some greedy dealers charged more. After the boom went bust, some dealers may have lowered margins, in an attempt to move stock. Shops survived mostly on repairs and after-market sales, where the mark-up was typically 100%.

TdC prices could vary substantially, depending on condition and where you live. You should be able to find one good condition for as low as ~$350. Excellent condition, in T.O. would be in the realm of $750, maybe higher. They don't surface often, so there are few benchmarks. I've seen maybe a handful that have surfaced in the past decade and only one with OEM decals. I don't know of anybody who makes decal for them.

I don't know the reasons for the crash in 1975. Bicycles were still selling but at about 50% of the 1972-1974 peak. Many dealers had placed 1975 orders based on their 1974 sales and were left with excess stock at year end. I suspect the crash was simply a case of market saturation during those 3 years.

There was definitely a stigma about owning a a CCM for the teenage and young adult age category. Based on my observations, it was part of the counter-culture movement of that era (i.e. don't rust anybody over thirty or big corporations). It was a case where CCM's brand reputation actually hurt them, as there were viewed as "big business". The new shakers in the industry, such as Peugeot, were even bigger but the average consumer didn't realize their size. Also being European, they were viewed as being more liberal than North American companies. Consequently, the teenagers and sub-thirty year old consumers with their own discretionary income bought European or Asian.

Conversely, the 30+ crowd remembered World War II first hand and were fierce nationalists. They bought Canadian. But they were also leery of the complexity of derailleur equipped bicycles and their being a fad. Consequently, they tended towards 3 speeds and when they bought 10 speeds for children your age, they gravitated towards the least expensive model. Both factors made the CCM Turismo and subsequent Targa big sellers but they were the only CCM lightweights that sold in appreciable quantity. There was probably even higher loyalty to CCM in metro T.O., due to the proximity to the factory.

Once you get your bicycle back, the serial number will end all the mystery about the exact age.
Thanks again.
I'm, oddly, typing this note on the site of the old CCM plant in Weston. Sad that nothing is left of it. Their should at least be a plaque or something. Toronto sucks in preserving its history.

Not to argue with your insight, but it sure did seem notably lighter then the other bikes. I can't see how 1 or 2 pounds would have impressed so many of my friends when I got it. 5-10% doesn't seem like enough to gain the admiration of a bunch of kids. Once I have it on hand, I will certainly dig up the serial number, and weigh it.

Thanks for the price ideas of the TdC. Definitely in the range I'd like to pay. Plus some budget for refurbishment and restoration. Any thoughts on where to start the hunt? I'm guessing a wanted ad might work better then spending the next 20 years waiting for one to pop up.

Any thoughts on the Silver Ghost? Seems that was a nice bike for its time too, though I don't remember too much of it.

While I don't recall a stigma attached to CCM, I do remember that Peugeot and Raleigh having a mystique the others didn't. Those were the bikes of the monied elites, or at least so it seemed at that point. My impression is that they were $400-500 bikes, and up. Does that seem fair?

When you speak of CCMs lightweights, where do you draw the line between those and more regular bikes?

Thanks again!
Old 08-30-19, 08:40 PM
T-Mar

The Silver Ghost was 2nd from the top of the lineup, from 1973-1976 and the top model in 1977. The frameset on it did triple duty, also being used on the Concorde/Torino and Mistral. The frame was Reynolds 531 but only in the main tubes and only plain gauge. The forks and stays were hi-tensile and used stamped dropouts. Still, a step above the Corsa XL. Components were: Shimano Crane/Titlist derailleurs with bar end shift levers, Sugino Maxy swaged crankset and Weinmann centre-pull brakes, The wheelset was tubular for 1973-1976 but downgraded to wired-on for 1977. Basically, it was marketed as CCM's club racer. The gearing was more practical than the TdC but the frame had recreational touring geometry so it didn't having the handling responsiveness of a competition bicycle, though it was reasonably light due to the 531PG main tubes and tubular wheelset. Those who wanted an entry level club racer with competition geometry and tubular wheels typically opted for a Gitane Interclub, Peugeot PA10 or similar.

Peugeot and Raleigh were both full range manufacturers. They definitely had more street credibility than CCM models but they weren't that much more expensive. During the boom, their entry level lightweight models, the Record and AO8 respectively, were jaround $100 to $125, depending on the exact year. However, they weren't the big sellers. The big sellers were the 2nd from the bottom of the line Grand Prix and UO8.

Just as there was a stigma about being seen riding a CCM, there was stigma about riding a bottom of the line model. Most consumers wouldn't shell out for a mid-range or high model, so the upper entry level models, 2nd from the bottom of the line, were most popular, This held true for most full range Asian and European brands. My last year year at the shop, these models typically sold for ~$150., so they were in line with the CCM Concorde/Torino.

Back in the day, lightweights were any bicycle with 27" wheels, drop handlebars and derailleur gearing. It had nothing to do with the actually weight, though these bicycles were generally lighter than middleweights, which were bicycles with 26 x 1-3/8" wheels. This Canadian terminology was totally different from that used in the USA.

So, you're writing this at the Tim Horton's at 2013 Lawrence Avenue? It's not really the former site but right next door. About three years ago, a group of CCM enthusiasts had proposed a plaque for the site. The plans were to unveil it on January 15, 2017, which would have been the 100th anniversary of the official opening of the Weston factory. While there may be no plaque and the Weston factory long gone, there are some buildings related to Toronto's cycling history that still stand, at least the last time I checked. Part of the Lozier factory that was used by CCM still stands, along with the Humphrey subsidiary. The facade on an old Comet factory still exists, though it was transplanted to a new building about a block from the original location.

Last edited by T-Mar; 08-30-19 at 08:50 PM.
Old 09-14-19, 10:19 PM
Erik XL

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi Again.
Thanks for a the info. Really a great read.

I finally got my hands on my Corsa XL, and found the serial number. It is:

E629871

So how does that get read?

Btw, anyone know of a good bike shop in and around the Toronto area that would work on something like this?

I'll take some pictures tomorrow and post them here. It was nice to see her again.
Old 09-15-19, 06:21 AM
T-Mar

Originally Posted by Erik XL
Hi Again.
Thanks for a the info. Really a great read.

I finally got my hands on my Corsa XL, and found the serial number. It is:

E629871

So how does that get read?

Btw, anyone know of a good bike shop in and around the Toronto area that would work on something like this?

I'll take some pictures tomorrow and post them here. It was nice to see her again.
Hmm, this doesn't quite line up with your story. According to the serial number, the frame was manufactured in 1980, though if it was late in the year, it could be a 1981 model.
Old 09-15-19, 06:26 AM
Erik XL

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hmm, this doesn't quite line up with your story. According to the serial number, the frame was manufactured in 1980, though if it was late in the year, it could be a 1981 model.
Interesting. The latest I could have bought it is the summer of 1980. Could I have gotten one year wrong? Sure. But I started a new school in September of 1981, and rode the bus to school from then on.

My original thought was I bought it in July of 1980, but then I read that the blue colour was no longer available after 1979, being one year only. So I tweaked my thinking accordingly.

Curiouser and Curiouser.
Old 09-15-19, 07:45 AM
T-Mar

If it's blue, then it should be a 1979 model but the serial number is from 1980. It's always possible that CCM re-introduced the colour, though that seems improbable, given that they were in cost reduction mode. There was a lot of employee discontent at the time, so I wouldn't rule out a careless worker grabbing the wrong serial number stamp. It could go either way but pending further evidence I'm leaning towards the latter. Maybe the pictures will provide a clue.
Old 09-15-19, 07:51 AM
Erik XL

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If it's blue, then it should be a 1979 model but the serial number is from 1980. It's always possible that CCM re-introduced the colour, though that seems improbable, given that they were in cost reduction mode. There was a lot of employee discontent at the time, so I wouldn't rule out a careless worker grabbing the wrong serial number stamp. It could go either way but pending further evidence I'm leaning towards the latter. Maybe the pictures will provide a clue.
It's definitely blue.

Any specific pictures that would be helpful?
Old 09-15-19, 10:40 AM
Erik XL

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
And I'll post pictures as soon as I'm allowed.
Old 09-15-19, 10:42 AM
Erik XL

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Btw, what in the serial number identifies the year? Could it have been a leftover 1979 frame that got built into a bike in 1980? Serial number put on there at that point?
Old 09-16-19, 11:36 AM
T-Mar

The key for the calendar year is the alpha character. Typically, frames are serialized when they are built, not when they've assembled into a bicycle, as it provides Quality Control traceability on the frame manufacture.
Old 09-16-19, 03:58 PM
Erik XL

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The key for the calendar year is the alpha character. Typically, frames are serialized when they are built, not when they've assembled into a bicycle, as it provides Quality Control traceability on the frame manufacture.
Yeah, that makes sense. Just me trying to make sense of that. Maybe I got the last of the batch of blue paint?
Old 09-16-19, 05:11 PM
conspiratemus1
Used to be Conspiratemus

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 245 Times in 163 Posts

Conversely, the 30+ crowd remembered World War II first hand ...
Great insight. Supports my (ashamed) recollections of my own attitudes, having been well under 30 at the time. The young infantry, able seamen, and airmen who are dying out now are respected and honoured, but when the more senior commanders ("war-mongers") were sick and dying in the 1970s they got little but mockery and contempt from my ilk, and from the politicians who coveted our votes.

Which is why the voting age should be 30. (Given participation rates, it pretty much is, anyway.)
Old 09-16-19, 05:15 PM
conspiratemus1
Used to be Conspiratemus

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 245 Times in 163 Posts
Originally Posted by Erik XL
Not to argue with your insight, but it sure did seem notably lighter then the other bikes. I can't see how 1 or 2 pounds would have impressed so many of my friends when I got it. 5-10% doesn't seem like enough to gain the admiration of a bunch of kids. Once I have it on hand, I will certainly dig up the serial number, and weigh it.

Maybe you should just weigh the price tags. That's where much subjective impression of weight differences starts.
Old 09-18-19, 01:49 AM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

CCM catalog with claimed weights from a 1976 and the Tour du Canada weight is not true, in my opinion...
Old 09-18-19, 06:29 AM
T-Mar

Originally Posted by randyjawa
CCM catalog with claimed weights from a 1976 and the Tour du Canada weight is not true, in my opinion...
20 lbs isn't very far off, for the smallest frame size. They appear to have rounded down to the nearest pound. I sold a couple of these and they were just under 21 lbs. Yours wasn't exactly in stock condition and I could easily see it being 1-2 lbs heavier than a stock TdC.
Old 09-18-19, 07:17 AM
randyjawa 

I weighed my Tour du Canada the day I got and assembled it. As found and in original condition, the bike came in at 21 pounds 9 ounces, as pictured...

Once built up and as pictured, the Tour du Canada came in at 24 pounds 8 ounces...

I also had a CCM Mistral, for a while, but never really got into it. As found, the Mistral came in at 28 pounds 10 ounces - not the 26 pounds reported in the CCM comparison chart from the mid seventies. Sorry, no picture of the Mistral.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.