Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Northeast
Reload this Page >

bethpage state park trail to jones beach

Search
Notices
Northeast Connecticut | Maine | Massachusetts | New Hampshire | New Jersey | New York |Rhode Island | Vermont |

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-10, 11:45 AM
acorn54

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

want to get to jones beach via the bethpage park trail and avoid merrick road. are there backroads i can take to avoid merrick to get to the cedar park trail that takes me to jones beach? directions and roads to take would be appreciated
Old 03-29-10, 11:48 AM
Papa Tom

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 136 Posts
Acorn:

This is from my website at https://nyrides.freehosting.net...

Bethpage Bikeway to Jones Beach (avoiding Merrick Road !)

Here's a connection that many bikers make all the time using highly-trafficked Merrick Road. However, you can actually get from the end of the Bethpage Bikeway to the entrance to Cedar Creek Park without having to risk your life.

Just as you come around the last curve of the Bethpage Bikeway (~ 1 block before Merrick Road ) you’ll see a small concrete spur on the right leading off the path to a side street ( Ocean Avenue). Exit the path here, then follow the directions below:
· At the end of the concrete spur, turn right onto Ocean Avenue and ride a short distance to Prospect Place .
· Veer left on Prospect Place and go straight 2/10 mile to Hicksville Road.
· Make a left onto Hicksville Road and a right at the first corner onto Maple Street.
· Take Maple Street 3/10 mile to Seaford Avenue.
· Make a left onto Seaford Avenue.
· Continue 1/10 mile and enter the Takapausha Preserve on your right.
· Use the paved path that skirts the pond, continually bearing right (do not head toward Merrick Road.) Eventually, you’ll see a small opening in a fence and the paved path will end.
· Enter a path with a wood chip surface for about 100 feet. Look to the left for an opening in the fence and exit the path here. Now you’ll be on the grounds of the Takapausha Museum. Get on the paved path and exit the museum parking lot onto Washington Avenue.
· Make a right onto Washington Avenue and go 1/10 mile to the first left turn, which is Waverly Avenue (United Methodist Church on corner).
· Make a left onto Waverly, cross under Rt. 135, and continue to the end (at 9/10 mile).
· Make a left onto Willoughby Avenue and go 2/10 mile toward Merrick Road.
· Before reaching Merrick Road, make a right into the shopping strip and ride behind the stores 1/10 mile to Spruce Avenue.
· Make a right onto Spruce and go 1/10 mile to Walters Avenue.
· Make a left onto Walters Avenue and proceed 1/10 mile to Fir Street.
· Make a left onto Fir Street and continue 1/10 mile to Merrick Road. Cedar Creek Park will be directly across the street. This is the exit, but it is safer to cross here (at the light) than to cross into the entrance, which is one block further.
Old 03-29-10, 12:30 PM
acorn54

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
thanks papa tom
enjoy the good weather when it finally comes
Old 03-30-10, 07:15 PM
Papa Tom

Thanks. Let me know how your ride goes!
Old 03-31-10, 03:30 PM
Lightingguy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not to knock Papa Toms directions, but I always found Clark St more direct.

Approx. 5.75 miles south of the picnic area parking lot, you cross Clark St. It's the first street after the section with the 2 ponds.

Make a right.

Take Clark 1.8 miles west, just under the Seaford Oyster Bay Expressway and go left on W Seamans Neck Rd.

Take WSN south .3 miles and make the only turn allowed - right, onto Park Ave.

Take Park .7 miles west to Beech and go left

Take Beech .7 miles south, crossing Sunrise Hwy (Rt 27) and continue to end at Merrick Rd.

Carefully go left on Merrick 50 ft. to entrance to Cedar Creek.

When re-tracing the route, the Cedar Creek road exits you opposite Fir St. Go up Fir one block, a left onto Walters, west 2 blocks and right on Beech.

SB
Old 04-05-10, 06:06 AM
Papa Tom

I'm not familiar with Clark Street, but if it's by the area with the two ponds, it seems acorn is going to miss a good portion of the bike path to ride on some boring residential streets.

I guess it comes down to whether he/she is more concerned with getting to Jones Beach FAST or taking a leisurely, mostly traffic-free ride.

Regardless, I'll probably check out Clark Street myself one of these days. Thanks, Lightingguy!
Old 04-05-10, 06:21 AM
Lightingguy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Clark-Park is one of the suggested routes on the Trans-Alt Nassau County Bicycle Map. It's also the route used by the Montauk Century, Ride to Montauk Century and Ancient Mariner (to Montauk) and as such is part of the network of light traffic on-street routes in Nassau.

Here's a link: https://www.transalt.org/files/resources/mapnassau.html

As such, it's more direct and significantly less convoluted though I wouldn't use the term "fast" as that's up to the rider. It does give up 1.6 miles of path, but is a pleasant ride none the less and I see ton's of riders on this stretch, weekend mornings.

SB
Old 04-05-10, 09:48 AM
Papa Tom

Ah hah. I couldn't really make heads or tails of the transalt map (I'm pretty severely map challenged), but I looked up Clark Avenue on Google Maps and now I see why people would use that route. However, I still prefer staying on the bike path when it's not clogged up with little kids riding in the wrong direction or drunken teenagers trying to find their way home from the woods.

I will give Clark a try this year and, maybe, add it to my site. Thanks again, Lightingguy.
Old 04-05-10, 11:50 AM
Lightingguy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Papa Tom
Ah hah. I couldn't really make heads or tails of the transalt map (I'm pretty severely map challenged), but I looked up Clark Avenue on Google Maps and now I see why people would use that route. However, I still prefer staying on the bike path when it's not clogged up with little kids riding in the wrong direction or drunken teenagers trying to find their way home from the woods.

I will give Clark a try this year and, maybe, add it to my site. Thanks again, Lightingguy.
Here's a link to the State of NY maps: https://www.nysdot.gov/divisions/ope...-bureau/biking

I like MUP's when they are not overused (and as they are here on L.I.), as you so aptly described. I've seen too many accidents on the Bethpage and JB paths and tend to have avoided them the last 15 years or so. I do go to JB on occasion, but never on a weekend and only spring and fall when I know there's few users, having grown tired of the 3 abreast mothers with baby carraiges, tykes on trikes practicing the skills needed for driving while drunk at a later age, and of course, the Triathlete wanna-be on the $5,000 carbon Quintana Roo going 30 mph on the aero bars. Seen WAY too many accidents and read somewhere a few years back that there are something like 10 timse's as many accidents on MUP's involving bikes ,then on roads. Of course, you're10 times more likely to die from the accident on the road, but I still prefer roads that are lightly used to MUP's and the State map helps you find them.

SB
Old 04-05-10, 01:35 PM
Papa Tom

acorn doesn't come off like a "triathlete wanna-be," which is why I assumed he/she would prefer to stay on the path as long as possible. I guess, in the end, the RIGHT route for acorn is the one that acorn SAYS is the right route for him/her.

Lightingguy's remarks about the Bethpage Bikeway are all right on, though. It's not my favorite bikeway at all, as you never know what's coming around the corner. Opportunities for pedal crunchers to open up and test their odometers and for little kids to get their wheels dirty are rare on Long Island's roads, so the bike paths attract all types of cyclists. Being a forty-something seasoned rider who isn't ego or fitness-driven, I don't mind the shaky little kids as much as the roadies who tear up these paths like they can't wait to get their ride over with.

To paraphrase the cliche, bicycling is about the experience, not the destination. I think, by asking for a route between two paths, acorn reveals that he/she thinks the same way. If not, there are certainly faster ways to get to the Jones Beach Bikeway using ONLY public roads.

Anyway, thanks for the map link.
Old 04-05-10, 03:06 PM
acorn54

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
thanks guys
i will try both routes. sometimes i want to take the most direct route, sometimes not so both routes will be of use
Old 04-05-10, 03:22 PM
Papa Tom

Sometimes you feel like a MUP; sometimes you don't.
Old 04-05-10, 03:42 PM
Lightingguy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
And as a side note to Acorn (and others), Tom has about the best collection of info. on MUP's in the SE NY area on his website - just click the nyrides link. A true gem of useful info. that he keeps up to date with.

And to Tom, I'm trying hard to get a Brooklyn ride in, possibly tomorrow, with my camera, to document any changes to the Belt Path adjacent to Plumb Beach. Partly selfish motive, as I'm ready to start my bike commute and need to know if it's worth riding that section. I'll post what I learn.

Steve B.
Old 04-06-10, 07:06 AM
Papa Tom

Thanks for the "plug," Lightingguy, but to be fair, I should confess that I haven't kept as up-to-date as I'd like to be on all the MUPs. There just isn't enough time (or financial stability) to ride them all on a regular basis anymore and I haven't been on some of them in several years.

There's an open invitation for anyone who rides any of the paths listed on my site to comment on the current conditions, but few people ever do. If anyone out there has been on the Westchester County Paths, the Nyack Rail Trail, or any other, please let me know what kind of shape they are in!
Old 04-09-10, 11:33 AM
Fibber

Bikes: Fuji S-12s, Trek Navigator 200, Dahon Vitesse D7, Raleigh Sprite Touring ('70's)

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm up in Dutchess, so as soon as I get out on them, I'll post an update to your site. So far, I've only been out on public roads (which currently have pretty rough shoulder areas as a result of this winter's storms).

I hit on this thread as a result of the Bethpage path title. I grew up in Massapequa as a kid, so the '3 streams' path as we called it from Massapequa Station up to Bethpage Park was a very regular ride for me back in the early 1970's.