Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

New repaved roads = slow ride

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Old 09-10-10, 10:57 AM
wunderkind
Pro Paper Plane Pilot

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

One of the main routes I used have recently been repaved with fresh bitumen. Boy was it ever sticky to ride! The stuff they put on really makes one riding through some sort of glue patch. Never noticed that before when on car. But with a bicycle, I thought I had a flat the entire time riding through it.
Well hopefully in a few weeks' time it will be back to normal. Funny that the street was pothole filled to begin with. Wish they'd do something about the industrial stretch of road. That road looks like it was strafed by an A-10 Warthog!
Old 09-10-10, 11:03 AM
Aeneas
Clyde that Rides

Bikes: 2008 Jamis Aurora,1988 Specialized Hardrock, 1980? Kuwahara Carrera

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
As similar thing happened to me along my main commute route. After a couple weeks, and a couple rain storms, the surface tar from the fresh asphalt was washed away and things are returning to normal. Kinda nice to be riding on a freshly paved road. What I do notice, especially at night is that the fresh asphalt doesn't reflect any light from my headlight making the ride home in the dark a bit dicier and somewhat surreal. Seems like I'm floating or riding through the cosmos or something.
Old 09-10-10, 12:19 PM
ItsJustMe
Señior Member

Bikes: Windsor Fens, Giant Seek 0 (2014, Alfine 8 + discs)

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
They've been chipsealing roads around here. If there's a worse surface to ride on than chipseal, I don't know what it is.

I detoured down 4 miles of gravel road for a few weeks until the chipseal got beaten down by the cars. The gravel road was a much nicer ride than the chipseal.