Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like :The Dirty Kanza". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Larger Monster Cross Tires

Old 01-15-12, 10:17 AM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 740 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 28 Posts

My Monster Cross bike, an Origin 8 CX 700 is almost done. It's not going to be ridden on technical MTB trails, but needs a tire for dirt & gravel. Recommend me a tire that's;

•700C/29er
•47mm-40mm actual width
•Trekking tread for 25% on pavement, 70% firm-dry gravel & dirt, 5% wet gravel
•Rolls well on pavement
•Doesn't weigh a ton

I'm thinking 700x45c Schwalbe Smart Sam or the 700x47c Continental TopContact but would like to consider alternatives before buying.
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.

Last edited by Barrettscv; 01-16-12 at 10:21 AM.
Old 01-15-12, 06:01 PM
pyze-guy
Yup

Bikes: Kona Unit, planet X cx bike, khs fixed gear

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Michelin Transworld sprint. Listed as a 40 but it is wider then my continental cyclocross race which listed as a 42. Conti has the Cyclocross speed that's a 42 as well.

I like the Transworld. I use it on the front when I ride the cx instead of the mtb on the local single track.
Become reality to me
Old 01-18-12, 10:57 AM
iforgotmename

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This is an awesome road/gravel tire...rolls very well http://www.schwalbetires.com/bike_ti...arathon_dureme
Old 01-18-12, 01:01 PM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 740 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 28 Posts
Originally Posted by iforgotmename View Post
This is an awesome road/gravel tire...rolls very well http://www.schwalbetires.com/bike_ti...arathon_dureme
Yes, the Dureme is a top tire for what I need. I wish they offered a 700x45. A 700x50 & 700x40 is made. The cost is on the high end of the range, but none of these trekking/touring tires are cheap.
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.

Last edited by Barrettscv; 01-19-12 at 06:50 AM.