Search
Notices
Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area Looking to enter into the realm of track racing? Want to share your experiences and tactics for riding on a velodrome? The Track Cycling forums is for you! Come in and discuss training/racing, equipment, and current track cycling events.

Can I race this race?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-13, 12:14 PM
Allegheny Jet

Bikes: confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Can I race this race?

The NTC Midwest Challenge will race at the Major Taylor Velodrome on the weekend of June 14-15. On the 15th there are time trails scheduled and as a 60 yr old I would like to do the Flying 200, 500 TT and 2,000 Pursuit. I intend to race at the Master's Nationals Track Championships on the same venue beginning July 30th and do the same time trail races, and possibly the team sprint or team pursuit. The June race info does not indicate what Track Racing Category one needs to have for the TT's on Saturday. Does anyone know if the TT's are open to racers who are not "Elite"?

I also see that there are TT’s scheduled on the MTV on May 18th but there is no race info out for that date at this time. Being able to train/race multible times on the track prior to Nationals should assist me in race prep for the big races later. I suspect that riding the MTV facility as compared to our shorter and steeper track in Cleveland will have a significant difference on multiple levels that I will need to adjust for. My mother in law lives in Central PA and I hope to also spend a few days riding the Valley Preferred Cycling Center track.

https://www.truesport.com/index.php/...sport_event/63
Old 04-09-13, 02:26 PM
carleton
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts
I believe that you have to be Category 5 or 4 for time trials.

Category 5 for road/track is just send in your $ for a license. Category 4 is passing the Beginner class.

So, you should be fine.

When in doubt, email the promoter. You can on the official flyer. A fully informed flyer is required by USA Cycling to get a permit.

Here is the contact info: https://www.usacycling.org/events/?st...=&rrfilter=all
Old 04-09-13, 03:20 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1338 Post(s)
Liked 2,474 Times in 1,449 Posts
Timed events do not have a race category associated with them since you are on the track by yourself unless the promoters decide to do otherwise so checking is appropriate. I looked at the flyer and did not see a 2K pursuit for men at NTC. They offered 200, 500, Kilo, 3K and 4K for men. The women were offered 2K. You could race with them.

I raced at T-Town and it is a fun track but it was hot and humid.

You will have no problem on the 333 versus the 160. You turn less on the 333 and power is on all the time. It will be good to practice pacing to get your lap times and gearing dialed in.
Old 04-09-13, 04:24 PM
Kayce

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There is a lot of difference to be felt when racing on a 333. The start will be done on a much flatter plane, and you will have more time on the straight to wind up before you get to the corner. Then while at speed your body will feel very different forces while coming around the corner, even so low on the track.
Old 04-09-13, 07:24 PM
Allegheny Jet

Bikes: confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks for the replies. On the event Regristration page Cat 3 is the lowest men's category listed. I am a cat 5 in track but may be able to upgrade due to taking track 101 and in May track 201 at our track. Hermes, I didn't notice there was no 2k for the men. I just might have to HTFU and do the 3k pursuit.
Old 04-09-13, 10:51 PM
Kayce

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The jump to 4 is as easy as taking a clinic, or doing a few local races. The jump from 4 to 3 is usually the hardest to make.
Old 04-09-13, 11:00 PM
carleton
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts
Originally Posted by Kayce
The jump to 4 is as easy as taking a clinic, or doing a few local races. The jump from 4 to 3 is usually the hardest to make.
Try going from 3 to 2. It's a constant butt whuppin for those new to CAT2 as most track events for 2s are Pro/1/2. Not fun. Not fun at all.