Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

Should I ride my mountain gears or road gears?

Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Old 05-30-14, 11:49 AM
sizzam
Foo-Schnickens

Bikes: 1995 Trek Multitrack, 2011 Raleigh Revenio, Airborne Guardian

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm trying to get back in the swing of riding and wanted to bounce this question off of you all:

I have a Trek MultiTrack with road tires but mountain gearing. I also have a Raleigh road bike with nice Ultegra components. I tend to ride the Trek because it's so much easier, with the lower gearing. I live in a very hilly area.

Am I doing myself a disservice by riding the mountain gearing? Should I step it up to the road bike and build strength on that? I'm thinking back to when I played little league baseball and my dad would tell me not to throw a tennis ball because it would ruin my arm. Am I ruining my legs?
Old 05-30-14, 12:18 PM
ill.clyde

Bikes: 2009 Trek 1.2

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
The quick answer is - it probably doesn't matter, just ride.

You say you're getting back in the swing of riding, so I assume that means you haven't ridden in some time?

Miles into your legs is the only thing you need to worry about.

That said, initially I'd opt for the Trek, given your area is hilly. And I'd focus on spinning, not mashing.
Old 05-30-14, 12:20 PM
MRT2

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 146 Posts
No, you aren't hurting yourself by riding your Trek.
Old 05-30-14, 12:34 PM
stephtu

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You aren't ruining your legs, consider putting lower gears on your road bike.
Old 05-30-14, 12:40 PM
sizzam
Foo-Schnickens

Bikes: 1995 Trek Multitrack, 2011 Raleigh Revenio, Airborne Guardian

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks everyone. I just dusted off the road bike and gave it a ride around the block. It definitely doesn't have the low end that the Trek has, but the stretched out riding position really helps my butt because I feel like I'm spreading my weight better between the saddle and the handlebars. Maybe I will put some lower gears on the road bike. I'll have to try it out for a while and see how far off I am.
Old 05-30-14, 02:30 PM
jeff556

Bikes: Seven Evergreen, Co-Motion Americano

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Your timing on this thread worked out well for me. I have a Trek Domane 4.5. I just pulled the ultegra rear derailleur off the bike and replaced it with a mtb (Shimano Deore XT) rear derailleur and a 12-36 cassette because there are a lot of hills where I live.

So if you're asking 'should I ride on mountain gears or road gears" - my answers is "yes!".

You can always shift up to a harder gear using mtb gearing, but once you hit first gear on a road bike you've got nowhere left to go. If you live in a area with hills, having those big gears in the back really help.

Originally Posted by sizzam
I'm trying to get back in the swing of riding and wanted to bounce this question off of you all:

I have a Trek MultiTrack with road tires but mountain gearing. I also have a Raleigh road bike with nice Ultegra components. I tend to ride the Trek because it's so much easier, with the lower gearing. I live in a very hilly area.

Am I doing myself a disservice by riding the mountain gearing? Should I step it up to the road bike and build strength on that? I'm thinking back to when I played little league baseball and my dad would tell me not to throw a tennis ball because it would ruin my arm. Am I ruining my legs?
Old 05-30-14, 02:45 PM
Black wallnut 

Bikes: Schwinn Broadway, Specialized Secteur Sport(crashed) Spec. Roubaix Sport, Spec. Crux

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked 161 Times in 80 Posts
Ride the MTN gears and train your legs to spin. When you get to spinning at 100 rpm in a gear approaching your lowest gear on your road bike switch to it. Keep spinning as you gain strength and you will be a climber. Resist the temptation to mash a harder gear and save your knees.
Old 05-30-14, 02:56 PM
Drew Eckhardt 

Bikes: 97 Litespeed, 50-39-30x13-26 10 cogs, Campagnolo Ultrashift, retroreflective rims on SON28/PowerTap hubs

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by sizzam
Am I doing myself a disservice by riding the mountain gearing?
No.

Should I step it up to the road bike and build strength on that?
Except for sprinting cycling isn't limited by strength. Burning legs come from your body's limited ability to process lactic acid, not low strength.

I'm thinking back to when I played little league baseball and my dad would tell me not to throw a tennis ball because it would ruin my arm. Am I ruining my legs?
No. Cycling training programs include a base phase where you spend a lot of time on rides with low to moderate intensity.