Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Southern California
Reload this Page >

Pismo Beach (CA) Ride for Beginners

Search
Notices
Southern California Southern California

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-12, 10:04 AM
Rainer_

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

My wife and I are new to cycling. We'll be staying at The Cliffs in Pismo Beach, CA this coming Saturday and we'd like to get out for a ~2 hour (~30 mile round trip) ride. We'd be starting at the resort on Shell Beach.

Any suggestions (with some details) for a good path to take? If this forum isn't the best place to find bike paths, any hints on where I can look.

Really appreciate any help!
Old 02-13-12, 10:21 AM
Pamestique 
Shredding Grandma!

Bikes: I don't own any bikes

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Great website for you to use: slobc.org. The San Luis Obispo Bike Club lists all its recommended rides and there are lots of wonderful beginner rides in your area. Not only does the site describe the rides but its provides route slips. There are several Shell Beach rides listed. I have to check out the of the bike path but its lovely running all the way out to Avila Beach.

Edited: Bob Jones Trail... check out the SLO Poke rides...

Private docent led mountain bike rides through Limestone Canyon. Go to letsgooutside.org and register today! Also available: hikes, equestrian rides and family events as well as trail maintenance and science study.

Last edited by Pamestique; 02-13-12 at 10:25 AM.
Old 02-13-12, 03:07 PM
Rainer_

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Great link! Thanks so much for the tip. Will definitely check out that list of local rides.

If anyone recommends one in particular (especially in/near Pismo), let me know!
Old 10-11-12, 01:52 PM
penderguide
penderguide

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'll be coming to Pismo in late Oct '12. It sounds like I'm looking for the same type of riding as Rainer (how did that go?)
My family likes scenic rides near the coast, staying away from high-traffic roads, and easy mountain biking is OK.
Heading northwest to Avila Beach, Google Maps shows Cave Landing Trail/Road from the end of Bluff Drive in Shell Beach, connecting with Avila Beach Dr. How is that trail? (I hear in the future there will be a paved path through there paid for by the oil spill settlement?) Is there also a shortcut to Front Street in Avila Beach to avoid Avila Beach Dr? Perhaps we could do a loop using Bob Jones trail on the return to Class II roadways south to Shell Beach.
Heading south toward Pismo Beach it looks like you have to keep getting back on Class II Shell Beach Rd/Price Rd because the residential neighborhoods are not connected? Are bikes at least allowed through Dinosaur Park?
I also hear that you can ride on the beach in the Pismo area because of compacted sand. Is there a stretch that's good for that, or do the vehicles make it less enjoyable?
Thanks for your help!
Old 10-11-12, 03:25 PM
calamarichris
Banned.

Bikes: '09 Felt F55, '84 Masi Cran Criterium, (2)'86 Schwinn Pelotons, '86 Look Equippe Hinault, '09 Globe Live 3 (dogtaxi), '94 Greg Lemond, '99 GT Pulse Kinesis

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked 270 Times in 153 Posts
Another vote for Bob Jones! Ride to Port San Luis, and up See Canyon Road--beautiful, beautiful place!
(Click for recommended route)

Bob Jones MUP:

See Canyon Road:

Port SLO:

Morro Bay is a little bit of a stretch for a beginner, but I include this shot, just because it's a pretty place.

You're going to have a great time! I always do whenever I'm anywhere near SLO!

Last edited by calamarichris; 10-11-12 at 04:52 PM. Reason: Slightly amended recommended route to include Bob Jones MUP.
Old 10-11-12, 04:36 PM
Flying Merkel

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Many years ago my buddy went through an ugly divorce. For therapy, we camped on Pismo Beach and brought a cooler full of beer. Exactly where we rode is a bit hazy, but I do remember Bob Jones MUP. Gorgeous ride. Lots of fun little establishments to pop into. If you are on mountain bikes it's possible to ride on the beach itself at low tide.

Central coast is my favorite part of California.
Old 10-13-12, 12:59 AM
penderguide
penderguide

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks a lot, especially the great photos from calamarichris! I look forward to riding there. I've read the Bob Jones MUP will be extended all the way to southwest SLO, and the rail trail in SLO will be extended from Cal Poly all the way through town to the south, so lots to look forward to. I used to love RV camping at Morro Bay State Park (before the rates doubled overnight) and cycling from there all the way through town. They are planning a bike bridge (or car bridge, it's controversial) connecting to the north side of town where there's a Class I trail on the beach. I also love the easy mountain bike trails at Montana de Oro - the Bluffs Trail and then riding inland on Islay Creek. Since I've always gravitated to those areas I've skipped the SLO to Pismo corridor, so I look forward to that on this trip. I also plan to try a 21-mile Class I/II "Sideways" tour between Solvang, Santa Ynez & Los Olivos and perhaps a Class I/II ride out from Lompoc to the beach at Surf. I agree, the central coast is wonderful!
Old 10-15-12, 11:16 PM
hendrick81

Bikes: 2006 caad8, 2010 caad9 1, 2011 caad10 4

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
Another vote for Bob jones bike trail.I lived in SLO for four years while going to school and rode that trail to port san luis at least 3 times a per week. Its a very scenic ride.
Old 10-15-12, 11:18 PM
hendrick81

Bikes: 2006 caad8, 2010 caad9 1, 2011 caad10 4

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
Morro bay is also a great ride. Take los osos valley road to get there. It a little farther, but still a fairly easy ride.