Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Which kind of AA battery would you use in this light?

Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-13, 03:43 PM
MrCjolsen

Bikes: Surly Cross-Check, '85 Giant road bike (unrecogizable fixed-gear conversion

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

Philips Saferide 80.

It has a published run time of 1:30 on high. 8 hours on low.

My commute can be as much as an hour. I need the light on high the whole way. So I'll probably recharge the batteries every day at work, most likely taking them straight from the charger and putting them in the light right before I ride.

Should I use 2000 mAh low self discharge batteries like Eneloops or Duracell "staycharged" or should I use 2400+ batteries that will lose a charge over time.
Old 11-25-13, 04:14 PM
prathmann

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
If you're always going to be recharging it daily then go for some good quality NiMH cells with the higher capacity around 2500 mA-hr or even higher. The 'pre-charged' cells that are around 2000 mA-hr are better for situations where you sometimes aren't using them for long periods of time and still want them to retain almost all of their charge - or for low current devices where they don't need recharging for a long time.
Old 11-25-13, 05:17 PM
no motor?
Unlisted member

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1376 Post(s)
Liked 432 Times in 297 Posts
I doubt you'll be able to get an hours runtime out of NiMh batteries, I had a hard time getting more than a half hour out of mine. I'd buy extras and plan on a lot of changes to use that light.
Old 11-25-13, 08:23 PM
westrid_dad

Bikes: Surly Ogre, Cannondale Topstone 105

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by MrCjolsen
Philips Saferide 80.

It has a published run time of 1:30 on high. 8 hours on low.

My commute can be as much as an hour. I need the light on high the whole way. So I'll probably recharge the batteries every day at work, most likely taking them straight from the charger and putting them in the light right before I ride.

Should I use 2000 mAh low self discharge batteries like Eneloops or Duracell "staycharged" or should I use 2400+ batteries that will lose a charge over time.

I guess I am wanting the best of both worlds. Here is what I'm running in my Dinotte 140L:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 11-25-13, 09:32 PM
ItsJustMe
Señior Member

Bikes: Windsor Fens, Giant Seek 0 (2014, Alfine 8 + discs)

Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
In general, if I can't use Eneloops in it, I'm not going to buy it in the first place.

The Imedions linked by westrid_dad are the same thing from a knockoff supplier, though Maha is pretty good. I've bought some store brand LSD AAs as well and they work fine, but anymore I just spend the extra 50 cents and buy the Eneloops.

For a light that I'm going to use every day though, self discharge really isn't an issue and I'd probably use up my old batteries that I'm trying to kill so I can replace them with Eneloops.
Old 11-25-13, 11:10 PM
A10K

Bikes: Unidentifiable CX-based franken-commuter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Eneloops aren't just for infrequent applications; they hold capacity better over multiple charge cycles such that after a hundred or so cycles they have better capacity than batteries that advertise higher initial capacities. If you plan on using the light for a year or more you're still better off with eneloops.
Old 11-26-13, 12:56 AM
MrCjolsen

Bikes: Surly Cross-Check, '85 Giant road bike (unrecogizable fixed-gear conversion

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by no motor?
I doubt you'll be able to get an hours runtime out of NiMh batteries, I had a hard time getting more than a half hour out of mine. I'd buy extras and plan on a lot of changes to use that light.
Tonight I went for a ride and used 4 Energizer's I took out of my camera that were rated at 2300. I charged them in my smart charger, and put them right into the light. It was on high for almost an hour and a half before it switched to "eco mode."

Originally Posted by A10K
Eneloops aren't just for infrequent applications; they hold capacity better over multiple charge cycles such that after a hundred or so cycles they have better capacity than batteries that advertise higher initial capacities. If you plan on using the light for a year or more you're still better off with eneloops.
I plan on using the light for a long time. I don't mind replacing the batteries every year or so if it means having enough light to get me all the way home. I'll keep the LSD batteries in my bag in case my commute gets way longer than expected.
Old 11-26-13, 04:19 AM
znomit
Zoom zoom zoom zoom bonk

Bikes: Giant Defy, Trek 1.7c, BMC GF02, Fuji Tahoe, Scott Sub 35, Kona Rove, Trek Verve+2

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 722 Times in 366 Posts
Normal NiMH loose 10% during the first day so 2500 energizers (what mine are) will still beat 2100 eneloops.

If you have a lot of $ get the 2500mAh Eneloop XX. I have a set for longer missions.

ps... I thought the saferide switched itself to low based on a timer, not battery capacity.
Old 11-26-13, 07:29 AM
prathmann

Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by A10K
That hasn't been my experience. I have some older Energizer 2500 mA-hr regular NiMH cells that I've used regularly for years in my GPS and they still run longer than my newer Eneloops as long as I charge them shortly before use.
Old 11-26-13, 08:59 AM
MrCjolsen

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by znomit
Normal NiMH loose 10% during the first day so 2500 energizers (what mine are) will still beat 2100 eneloops.

If you have a lot of $ get the 2500mAh Eneloop XX. I have a set for longer missions.

ps... I thought the saferide switched itself to low based on a timer, not battery capacity.
There was a bit of buyer's remorse with my first ride home with the Saferide. I used the batteries that they supplied and it switched to low when I was just 2/3 of the way home. Turns out that two of their batteries have trouble holding a charge. But with decent batteries, it seems to work as advertised.

How are the Eneloop XX batteries?
Old 11-26-13, 10:17 AM
tarwheel 

Bikes: Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Soma Saga, De Bernardi SL, Specialized Sequoia

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
I have tried a lot of different rechargeable AA batteries, but I'll have to say that I've had the best performance from Eneloops. If you buy on line, they cost only marginally more than other rechargeable batteries.
Old 11-26-13, 12:57 PM
davidad

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 138 Posts
I also use the Maha Imedion 2400's in my Dinotte taillight. They last 8 hours and the Eneloops last 6 hours.
Old 11-26-13, 03:05 PM
no motor?
Unlisted member

Originally Posted by davidad
I also use the Maha Imedion 2400's in my Dinotte taillight. They last 8 hours and the Eneloops last 6 hours.
I have some Imedions that weren't any better than regular rechargeable NiMh batteries. I've still got them in my weather radio, but don't use them for lighting after switching to Li ion.
Old 11-26-13, 05:35 PM
koolerb

Bikes: CAAD 12, ROS 9+, and some others

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 11 Posts
I have Energizer rechargeables that have to be 5 years old and still work.
Old 11-27-13, 11:19 AM
davidad

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 138 Posts
Originally Posted by no motor?
I have some Imedions that weren't any better than regular rechargeable NiMh batteries. I've still got them in my weather radio, but don't use them for lighting after switching to Li ion.
Which ones?
Old 11-29-13, 11:17 AM
no motor?
Unlisted member

Originally Posted by davidad
Which ones?
I think they were these. I bought them about 5 years ago, and they were similar to these if they were different.

Mine were the 2,100 mah version.

Last edited by no motor?; 12-02-13 at 11:22 AM.
Old 11-29-13, 12:19 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Phillips Saferide is also made in a dyno-hub powered Version..
one on the fork crown and the battery one on the handlebars would be a real bright combo.