Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

New Cervelo S3 vs. S5

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

New Cervelo S3 vs. S5

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-14, 05:01 PM
AbsoluteZ3RO

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
New Cervelo S3 vs. S5

I've been looking at the new Cervelo S3 and wondering how it compares to the S5. Similarly equipped (with Ultegra) there is only a $500 price difference. That's not a huge price difference considering the S3 starts at $4k. It's not clear from the website what is really different or better if moving to the S5. From what I can tell, the S5 is "more aero", but is that really the only difference?

I've noticed a few pros riding the S3, but I don't know if that is because they didn't want to get the S5 due to cost or if the S3 actually fit what they were doing better. Is the S3 lighter, or perhaps more comfortable? I noticed the seat stays are similar to the R3 stays.
Old 03-23-14, 05:15 PM
zvez

Bikes: 2014 Cervelo R5 Dura Ace,2014 Specialized S-Works Roubaix

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Been looking at the S3 as well. Cervelo's website makes it sound like the S3 is "new". I'm not sure what changes they did to make that claim. They do note the chassis has been completely redesigned and it will also accept up to 25mm tires now (they did this with the 14 r5 as well)

Originally Posted by AbsoluteZ3RO
I've been looking at the new Cervelo S3 and wondering how it compares to the S5. Similarly equipped (with Ultegra) there is only a $500 price difference. That's not a huge price difference considering the S3 starts at $4k. It's not clear from the website what is really different or better if moving to the S5. From what I can tell, the S5 is "more aero", but is that really the only difference?

I've noticed a few pros riding the S3, but I don't know if that is because they didn't want to get the S5 due to cost or if the S3 actually fit what they were doing better. Is the S3 lighter, or perhaps more comfortable? I noticed the seat stays are similar to the R3 stays.
Old 03-23-14, 05:40 PM
clones2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For $500 - man up and get the S5. It will be un-noticeably more aero - and weight 1/4 oz less, that you'll never notice as well. The $500 will totally get rid of the "upgraditis" though. :-) I love mine. S5 VWD...
Old 03-23-14, 06:03 PM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
$500 is the same amount of money, regardless of the proportion to total price. Just attempting a reality check here
Old 03-23-14, 07:23 PM
Elvo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 206 Posts
Do you want to lose the race because you were 3 seconds behind or not?
Old 03-23-14, 09:29 PM
Dunbar

Bikes: Roubaix SL4 Expert , Cervelo S2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by zvez
Cervelo's website makes it sound like the S3 is "new". I'm not sure what changes they did to make that claim.
The S2/S3 are all new this year. The S3 has the same frame as the S2 but comes with a different fork. I thought I read that there's only 4 watts difference between the S3 and S5. There's a forum on the official Cervelo site you might want to check out.

I saw one of the new S5's today and ,in the smaller sizes at least, it doesn't look so bad in person.
Old 03-24-14, 03:35 AM
zvez

Bikes: 2014 Cervelo R5 Dura Ace,2014 Specialized S-Works Roubaix

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
you know I've tried to join that forum for months and even multiple emails to cervelo, I still don't get access to post.

Originally Posted by Dunbar
The S2/S3 are all new this year. The S3 has the same frame as the S2 but comes with a different fork. I thought I read that there's only 4 watts difference between the S3 and S5. There's a forum on the official Cervelo site you might want to check out.

I saw one of the new S5's today and ,in the smaller sizes at least, it doesn't look so bad in person.
Old 03-24-14, 07:16 AM
AbsoluteZ3RO

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've not been impressed with the forum at Cervelo. There's certainly some good info, but it's hard to find.

I didn't realize the S2 and S3 frame were the same. After looking, it appears the S3 is just an S2 with nicer components... (as you say the fork too).

I guess it just seems to me that the S3 should be more than $500 less than the S5. Perhaps the next S5 will have a higher price point to change this.

Has anyone ridden both?
Old 03-24-14, 08:38 AM
simonaway427

Bikes: 2010 S1, 2011 F75X

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'd go for the s3 solely based on the fact that you have options for wider tires.