Old 09-20-09, 06:09 AM
slim_77

Bikes: yes please

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Mayonnaise
My damn wrist hurts and I have little strength (for instance, pulling a brake lever is very difficult). My intention is to line up Sunday and take one lap but I don't know if I can do it.

I won't "race" a single race this year.

Hey man, welcome back!
Old 09-20-09, 09:39 AM
slim_77

Bikes: yes please

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My frame came yesterday! I started stripping off the old components from the Raleigh, and it turns out that I need a new bb. Also, the 60cm frame may be a tad big (58 road bike, but sometimes I think that is small). Luckily, I have a good FSA carbon setback seatpost that I turned the other way...looks funny, but will keep me well within my "road fit" and provides more room to adjust fore/aft as needed. Other than that, things are looking good. I may take off the 53 and go with a 46/39T up front, but I'll make that decision after a few practice runs.

This build is really fun...I can't wait to give it a go on the hill in the park near me.

Good luck to all racing today down in Jackson park!
Old 09-20-09, 03:35 PM
MJH2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here is the funniest cyclocross story ever told:

I applied for an upgrade.
Old 09-20-09, 04:22 PM
John Wilke

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hill? In Illinois?

BIG turnout at Jackson Park. Must have been 100+ cat 4's. Not one crash on the barriers. Saw a number of other spills, but not there.

Weirdest thing to me - how did a jersey from a small team I rode for out of Milwaukee in 1991 (Art Crafters / Team Milwaukee), show up in a Cat 4 cyclocross race in Chicago, in 2009???

Goodwill ??

Shot almost 2,000 pics.

Last edited by John Wilke; 09-20-09 at 04:26 PM.
Old 09-20-09, 04:28 PM
MJH2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by John Wilke
Hill? In Illinois?

BIG turnout at Jackson Park. Must have been 100+ cat 4's. Not one crash on the barriers. Saw a number of other spills, but not there.

Weirdest thing to me - how did a jersey from a small team I rode for out of Milwaukee in 1991 (Art Crafters / Team Milwaukee), show up in a Cat 4 cyclocross race in Chicago, in 2009???

Goodwill ??

Shot almost 2,000 pics.
Between 4a and 4b there were 148 registered.

Did I mention that I applied for an upgrade?
Old 09-20-09, 04:33 PM
John Wilke

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
148 ... that's big.

Does 'applied' = automatic upgrade, or can they turn you down?
Old 09-20-09, 05:11 PM
MJH2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
148 ... that's big.

Does 'applied' = automatic upgrade, or can they turn you down?
I'm not absolutely positive on the rule, but I'm pretty sure I've "earned" it.

As much as I like racing large fields, I can't be having to pre-register for cross all year!
Old 09-20-09, 06:06 PM
nerobro
So what did YOU do to it?

Bikes: 2006 Fetish Penna, 2014 Fuji Cross 2.0

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Pictures? 2000 pictures? Did you catch any of me? I was the fat dude wearing blue on the iron horse MTB in cat 4b. :-)

I'm just happy I didn't come in last. ... and I got a dollar.

I can now say I understand the appeal of CX. I'll be there in dekalb.

There were 76 riders in Cat4b. Unless there were some DNF's I was 75th ;-) I think.
Old 09-20-09, 06:07 PM
carlosflanders

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Do 5 races. Upgrade to cat 3 if you wish.

I'm going to have to rethink cat 4. I've never been in a race where things didn't space out after 1 lap or so. Today we rolled around in a procession until half a lap to go. Feel like I didn't race. interesting course but rather obsessed with hairpin bends - lots of them, with not enough space in between to get up to speed.
Old 09-20-09, 06:15 PM
John Wilke

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by nerobro
Pictures? 2000 pictures? Did you catch any of me? I was the fat dude wearing blue on the iron horse MTB in cat 4b. :-)

I'm just happy I didn't come in last. ... and I got a dollar.

I can now say I understand the appeal of CX. I'll be there in dekalb.

There were 76 riders in Cat4b. Unless there were some DNF's I was 75th ;-) I think.
I got 'ya. I was shooting right after the double barriers. Will take a while to get through them, and will be posting in the order they were taken, so look for yours probably Wednesday or Thursday.

Hey, after THREE WEEKS of dry, it's raining!
Old 09-20-09, 06:43 PM
MJH2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by carlosflanders
Do 5 races. Upgrade to cat 3 if you wish.

I'm going to have to rethink cat 4. I've never been in a race where things didn't space out after 1 lap or so. Today we rolled around in a procession until half a lap to go. Feel like I didn't race. interesting course but rather obsessed with hairpin bends - lots of them, with not enough space in between to get up to speed.
It sounds as though it went how I predicted it would yesterday. Lots of mayhem with somewhat random placings?

I submit the upgrade request shortly after the first race report I heard. If it's approved, I'll have the option of a 45 min early race (30+), a 45 min afternoon race (cat 3) or a 60 minute late afternoon race (1/2/3). All of which are chock full of guys who will crush me and force me to dig deeper to attempt to avoid embarrassment. And, I won't have to worry about any more of this pre-registration nonsense.
Old 09-20-09, 07:08 PM
John Wilke

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
There was some good racing though, you know. Pro 1/2 Ben Popper got a good start and was leading with good margin over the barriers on lap one. He dropped his chain when he remounted, got caught and eventually placed 2nd to Scott McLaughlin (SRAM Factory Team). In the 4a race, some guy took off with a big lead and looked like he was going to hold it, but on the last lap he got caught and passed by TWO riders! bummer

Last edited by John Wilke; 09-20-09 at 07:12 PM.
Old 09-20-09, 07:25 PM
MJH2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There was some good racing though, you know. Pro 1/2 Ben Popper got a good start and was leading with good margin over the barriers on lap one. He dropped his chain when he remounted, got caught and eventually placed 2nd to Scott McLaughlin (SRAM Factory Team). In the 4a race, some guy took off with a big lead and looked like he was going to hold it, but on the last lap he got caught and passed by TWO riders! bummer
Oh, I meant absolutely no disrespect towards the level of talent. There are guys in both 4a and 4b that would be strong, if not front runners, in the 3's. Those guys crushed me in the 4's and will do the same wherever we race.

Getting stuck at the back of a 75 rider field that gets completely jammed up at every bottle neck? Not so sure I'd like to do that if I can avoid it.
Old 09-20-09, 08:28 PM
carlosflanders

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The placings for the 4a seemed correct. 30+ and 40+ were all over the place.

Even though I finished in the top third, I still ended up rolling along - maybe passing about 2 people per lap.

The race was won in the scramble for the front line. I don't know if anyone in the top 10 didn't start on the first row. Then it was a case of whether it would be the guy in 7th or 10th who would mess up the sandpit and let the leaders get away. Races where the results are decided in the first 20 seconds aren't for me. Not saying it's a bad course, just that this was one for sprinters.

MJH2, you'll be glad to know that the ChiCrossCUp are now introducing a late fee as well. $35 for a CX race is getting a bit rich for me. USGP is cheaper. I'm going to have to check out MO, IA and WI scenes. Having to win your race in order to earn your entry back is a bit daunting. I'll do a few more CHi races but half at most. Carpentersville, St. Charles and Bloomingdale are the only ones that entice me now.
Old 09-20-09, 09:17 PM
3MTA3
★ ★ ★

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
all of you should've been in michigan this weekend:

Old 09-20-09, 09:52 PM
John Wilke

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Do tell! What's up with the contraption? What do you call it? Is it portable?

Old 09-20-09, 09:53 PM
MJH2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by carlosflanders
The placings for the 4a seemed correct. 30+ and 40+ were all over the place.

Even though I finished in the top third, I still ended up rolling along - maybe passing about 2 people per lap.

The race was won in the scramble for the front line. I don't know if anyone in the top 10 didn't start on the first row. Then it was a case of whether it would be the guy in 7th or 10th who would mess up the sandpit and let the leaders get away. Races where the results are decided in the first 20 seconds aren't for me. Not saying it's a bad course, just that this was one for sprinters.

MJH2, you'll be glad to know that the ChiCrossCUp are now introducing a late fee as well. $35 for a CX race is getting a bit rich for me. USGP is cheaper. I'm going to have to check out MO, IA and WI scenes. Having to win your race in order to earn your entry back is a bit daunting. I'll do a few more CHi races but half at most. Carpentersville, St. Charles and Bloomingdale are the only ones that entice me now.
The randomness I was referring to was the race for the first row. Of course, that's usually the only thing I get right at a race.

When did the late fee start? I get that prices will rise as sponsors cut back and insurance goes up in these hard economic times. Seems a shame that the rising costs won't be offset by the (seemingly, anyway) increased rider numbers?

I may have to make more trips up north, too... Cheaper racing, a much more laid-back vibe, and races that don't conflict with watching the Bears!
Old 09-21-09, 06:47 AM
John Wilke

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by MJH2
The randomness I was referring to was the race for the first row. Of course, that's usually the only thing I get right at a race.

When did the late fee start? I get that prices will rise as sponsors cut back and insurance goes up in these hard economic times. Seems a shame that the rising costs won't be offset by the (seemingly, anyway) increased rider numbers?

I may have to make more trips up north, too... Cheaper racing, a much more laid-back vibe, and races that don't conflict with watching the Bears!
HUH?

"In Heaven there is no beer ... that's why we .... OH! Hey, what's for breakfast???"

Last edited by John Wilke; 09-21-09 at 06:54 AM.
Old 09-21-09, 06:58 AM
John Wilke

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
https://chicrosscup.com/2009/09/20/holy-cow/

It was the largest Chicago Cup Race evar!
Old 09-21-09, 08:27 AM
Scummer
Genetics have failed me

Bikes: Norwid Aaland, Radon Slide 140, Elom 505 Titan, Dahon mju, Pedalforce CX1, Battaglin Power+, Old MTB and lots of spare parts

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by 3MTA3
all of you should've been in michigan this weekend:

I was in Michigan this weekend. Muskegon to be exact. Didn't see no cyclecross there
Old 09-21-09, 08:43 AM
Scummer
Genetics have failed me

Bikes: Norwid Aaland, Radon Slide 140, Elom 505 Titan, Dahon mju, Pedalforce CX1, Battaglin Power+, Old MTB and lots of spare parts

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 6 Posts
I signed up for the Dan Ryan woods at the Beverly Country Club. Should be a good time.
Old 09-21-09, 04:25 PM
carlosflanders

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MJH2

In that case MJH2 you would have been top 10. My experience is that Chicagoans don't really enjoy it unless they pay for it. Hence the $10 bump in prices. The cross cup has had fairly minimal sponsorship anyway, so that's not really an issue. Insurance went up by $1 a head.

I would really like to see payout linked with attendance. $185 total to the Elite field when 404 people attend at an average of $25 or so a head (after insurance and bikereg fees). Do the numbers. Nobody begrudges promoters making a healthy profit. But there are good reasons why the quality of elite racing in Chicago is pretty poor - making it a bit more worthwhile for people to travel to the better-attended races would help.

The late fee was made up by the cross cup committee. I let them know that this contravened USAC rules - all extra fees must be clearly advertised in the USAC-approved flyer. They didn't charge the late fee at JP, but they are now going to amend the flyers. I think the only fair thing to do would be to donate ALL late fees to World Bicycle Relief.
Old 09-21-09, 06:26 PM
3MTA3
★ ★ ★

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Do tell!
it was so fun!
What's up with the contraption?
you run up it, coast down it, & ride under it!
What do you call it?
the creators call it the orange crush flyover, but everybody else calls it the "flying rhino-ver" after the group that was instrumental in it's creation, the flying rhino cycling club.
Is it portable?
from what i hear, not really... but i hope it makes it's way to a few more races, particularly the night race in 2 weeks (it'd be awesome with christmas lights on it) & the halloween race... which will be worth the trip by itself due to our shop's promotion!

Last edited by 3MTA3; 09-22-09 at 03:16 PM.
Old 09-21-09, 07:53 PM
John Wilke

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
That is cool. Not many of those around in the States.

(FYI - Jackson Park Cat. 4a & b pix will be up Tuesday.)
Old 09-21-09, 11:35 PM
Frunkin
nom nom nom

Bikes: Lemond Tete de Course, Slingshot DDX, Fuji Track Pro, Surly Steamroller

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Doing my first race/practice tomorrow. Cross miss and out's at estabrook park. I'm pretty excited!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.